Phone Calls

Things I'm Not Supposed To Do

 

Minhee POV
 
- The next day - 
 
I was getting my stuff ready to go to school when my phone rang. Who's calling me this early in the morning? "Yeoboseyeo?"
 
"Yeoboseyeo~ Minhee-ssi?"
 
"Yes, who is this?"
 
"You don't recognize my voice? Ah! That's right. I'm using my manager's phone. Sorry."
 
You still didn't tell me who you are -_-; Oh I know! "Yuri-ssi?"
 
"Yes! You recognize me now?"
 
I laughed. The way she asked was so cute. "Yes, I do. Why'd you call?"
 
"I'm glad!" she giggled. Is she always this hyper in the morning? This is odd...she must be cheerful for some reason. "But the reason I called has to do with your friend."
 
"My friend? Which one?"
 
"Kakeru."
 
"Oh." I struggled to keep my tone even. "What about him?"
 
"He watched over our practice yesterday and a question about his uality came up. He told us he's not gay Minhee. Did you know that? I don't think that you were lying when you told me he was so you must not know right? I kept thinking it would be bad if you think he's gay when he's really not. Your behavior around him is probably different."
 
"N-no I...well actually he told me last night."
 
"He did?"
 
"Yeah...sorry but I have to go to school now. Thank you for your concern and for letting me know."
 
"You're welcome..."
 
"Goodbye."
 
"By-" I hung up before she could fully say 'bye' but I couldn't hold my emotions in for much longer. 
 
Why is this all happening now? When Minho and I have finished all misunderstandings between us, this...why now? Kakeru is being cruel to me...
 
[Flashback - The Night Before - Third POV]
 
As Minhee drove away from Bounce With Me, she kept scolding herself mentally for yelling at Minho. But it is an emergency, right? Why else would Kakeru text that message to me and set off that ringtone?
 
Although she's normally afraid of driving fast, Minhee sped the whole way to Kakeru's apartment. She ran up the stairs and pounded on the door, "Kakeru! Oi! Open the door! I'm here now okay?"
 
Jonghyun opened the door and they both looked at each other with wide eyes. "Minhee? Wh-"
 
"Where's Kakeru?"
 
"In his bedroom, he just knocked out again."
 
"Again? What do you mean?"
 
"He keeps sleeping and then waking up out of nowhere. At one point, he kept asking to go home so I drove him here. He passed up and woke up about four times since then already."
 
"Really?" she asked with her eyebrows furrowed. "Thanks for bringing him here safely and looking after him. I'll take care of him now."
 
"Are you sure? I can stay."
 
"Yeah, I'm sure. Besides, he'll feel embarrassed in the morning if he finds out you saw him like this."
 
"Really?" Jonghyun chuckled. "He doesn't seem like the type to be embarrassed by anything."
 
"Sound like someone you know?" Minhee .
 
He rolled his eyes in return. "Yeah, yeah. I'll be leaving then. Good luck with him. Hope he gets better. Don't let him take advantage of you. He is a drunk guy after all."
 
"Kakeru's not like that silly."
 
"Trust me, Minhee, I know what drunk guys are like."
 
"Because you normally are one?"
 
Minhee laughed when he glared at her and walked slowly backwards toward the door. He lifted his fingers in front in his eyes and pointed them at her back and forth. "I'm watching you."
 
"That's so creepy. Go watch your girlfriend."
 
Jonghyun's glare softened and he had a goofy grin on his face. "As a matter of fact, I will~"
 
She shook her head, pushing him out the door and closing it on him. "Kakeru" she called out into the darkness of the apartment and headed in the kitchen, continuing to talk to him even though he hadn't responded yet. "I don't know why you drink so much when you know it makes you ridiculously sick like this. 
 
It's as if you pretend you don't know your limits when you clearly do. What is that?! I know you act nothing is serious to you when they really are. Then when you're upset, you go and drink instead of talking it out. You could always talk to me. Why don't you talk to me anymore? Ever since I went to Korea, you've been like this and it's lik-"
 
Kakeru had suddenly back-hugged her and the stuff she had been preparing almost fell out of her hands. "Are you and Kermin on good terms now?"
 
"Yes, we are. We talked everything out which is something you need to do." 
 
"So you two kissed and made up?" his tone had turned darker and the grip he had around Minhee tightened. 
 
"What? Don-"
 
" 'Don't be silly.' That's what you always say. Don't act like you don't know."
 
[End of Flashback - Still Third POV]
 
A knock on the door cut off Minhee's thoughts. "Minhee-ah, are you ready yet?"
 
"Oh!" she jumped up from her bed. "Sorry unni, I'll be out in a second." Hana had offered to take Minhee to school so she had to prepare even earlier than usual. She grabbed her bag and ran out into the living room. "Eh? Minho?"
 
Minho turned around and greeted her with a smile, "good morning."
 
"What are you doing here?"
 
"I thought we could go to school together."
 
"Oh...okay but Hana-unni said..."
 
Hana looked up from the TV. "It's fine. It's easier if you two go together anyway, isn't it?"
 
"Yeah, I guess so."
 
"Let's go then." Minho told her and he took her bag from her. 
 
Hana raised her eyebrow at Minhee and she shrugged, mouthing "I don't know." She waved bye and followed Minho out the door. 
 
"How was your night?" he asked as soon as she caught up.
 
"Oh..." How do I answer this? I can't just tell him that I left him to go see Kakeru can I? He wouldn't understand... "It was...interesting."
 
"Did the emergency you had get solved?"
 
"Pretty much."
 
Taking the hint, Minho moved on. "Want to do something after class today?"
 
"Like what?"
 
"I don't know. Just hang out, walk around, see a movie, eat somewhere, whatever." Does it sound like I'm asking her out?
 
"Sure." 
 
Class went by uneventfully if you were looking in from the outside but members of the class and the teacher could sense a much lighter mood coming from the two. Even when fighting with Changmin, Minhee seemed more cheerful than usual. Minho was smiling more and his deskmate was relieved to not hear scowling or anxious foot-tapping coming from him like before.
 
Once class was finished, the two left together and did whatever they thought of at the moment. At first, they went to a different district and walked around. Then they ate in a little cafe they found and walked around some more. The day continued on like that until they had schedules. For the next week or so, their days went by in such a fashion.
 
Whenever they had time, Minho and Minhee would meet up to do something together. They didn't even have to leave the dorms. The point was that they spent time together. As relieved as Minho was to spend time with Minhee, he noticed that every time, her cell phone would ring and, although she would let the call go like it wasn't important, he could tell she wanted to answer but was refusing to. 
 
One day, Minho was going to meet Minhee at a coffee shop near the Mystery dorm. He peeked inside through the glass windows and spotted Minhee right away. She was sitting at a table by herself with two cups in front of her, her feet swinging back and forth under the table.
 
He laughed when she tried to drink from one of the cups and shook her head, probably mentally telling herself she can't. Minho could imagine the conversation Minhee was having with herself: "ah~ coffee! I wanna drink some now! But I can't drink it without Minho. That'd be rude! Well he's making me wait so I guess that's kinda rude. Ah! He's making the coffee wait to be drank! Poor coffee...I'm sorry coffee. I would drink you but I can't...where is Minho?!"
 
She would do something like that... Minho smiled and shook his head. A bright flash caught his eye when Minhee put the coffee back down on the table. If possible, his smile grew even wider. The bright light was caused by the reflection of the sun on the bracelet Minhee was wearing; the bracelet Minho had gotten her the other day.
 
[Flashback - The other day]
 
Minho and Minhee were walking around an open market in a more isolated part of the city so there wasn't many people around. Nonetheless, they had face masks and sunglasses on.
 
"Hey Minhee, look over there, isn't that a li..." he trailed off when he noticed Minhee was no longer next to him. "Where'd she go?!"
 
Searching for five minutes, Minho was about to go crazy when he spotted her talking to some ahjumma at an accessories booth. Of course, she's talking to someone. Probably getting some discount again haha
 
"Ya, don't just disappear on me like that."
 
"Oh! You're here! Look at this!" Minhee held up some necklaces, ignoring his previous statement. "Aren't they cute? I'm thinking of sending them to America."
 
"They're nice, I guess." 
 
"I guess I'd be better off asking Kibum," she laughed.
 
"Don't feel sad if your boyfriend doesn't know much about jewelry. Most men don't," the ahjumma told Minhee. "I've run this booth for so many years and my husband can barely tell a bracelet from an anklet." they laughed together and Minho mumbled that he knows that much.
 
Minhee looked over at him and smiled. "That guy over there doesn't need to know the difference," she whispered to the ahjumma. "He's amazing just the way he is."
 
"Omo~ how cute the youth are these days."
 
She blushed. "I'll take these okay ahjumma?" 
 
"Okay! And remember what we talked about, I'll save my best stuff for you as long as you come back again."
 
"Of course!" The ahjumma handed Minhee a small bag and Minhee thanked her. "Oh! Since it's so hot, should I buy us drinks? You've been so nice to me after all. Minho, wait here and talk with her while I go get us drinks okay? I'll be back."
 
Minho didn't even try to respond, knowing that Minhee would be gone by the time he opened his mouth. Instead, he walked closer to the booth and the ahjumma grinned. "Your girlfriend is very sweet."
 
"She is, huh?" he knew that he should've told her they're not dating but he liked that people mistook them for a couple when they went out like this.
 
A few minutes went by and Minhee came back with two bags in hand (not including the one with the necklaces she bought). "I bought us snacks too~" Minho and the ahjumma looked at each other, grinning. 
 
When they had left the booth, Minho took Minhee's hand and said to her "so we don't get separated again."
 
"Okay," she laughed. "Where are we going anyway?"
 
"I don't know. Somewhere?"
 
"Yet nowhere at the same time?"
 
"Most likely."
 
"Probably."
 
"It's a possibility."
 
"Not an actuality?"
 
"What about a reality?"
 
"Or a fantasy?"
 
"I think it's more like a Mystery."
 
"A SHINee Mystery?"
 
"Of course."
 
"Oh, thank goodness you said 'of course' and not that it's likely or we would've gone right back into that one."
 
"That's likely."
 
"Minho!" she playfully smacked his arm and then hugged it. "I love moments like this."
 
"What do you mean?"
 
"You know! Just when it's us being us."
 
"Oh, in that case, me too."
 
She chuckled. "So...what now?"
 
"Want to play a game?"
 
"What kind of game?"
 
"I call it...the Trust game."
 
"I believe we've already played that kind of game, Mr. Choi Minho."
 
"Well, Ms. Shin Minhee, we haven't played my version of the game."
 
"Oh, okay!" Minhee laughed. "Explain your  version of the game."
 
"To show how much you trust me, you close your eyes until I say you can open them no matter what happens."
 
"That sounds like a erted game."
 
"No! It's not meant for that."
 
"I know you didn't mean it that way but you have to admit it's kinda dirty."
 
"Okay, fine, it does sound erted in a way. If you think that way!"
 
"You know I think that way."
 
"That you do...anyway will you play and close your eyes?"
 
"Why?!"
 
"Because I'm asking you to. It's the Trust game remember?"
 
"Fine...but if you're just taking this opportunity to tickle me or whatever, I'm going to get back at you much worse."
 
"I wouldn't expect any less." Closing her eyes, Minhee crossed her arms and Minho tugged at them. "No being tense! That's not how it works. Minheeeeeee" he whined for once.
 
"Okay!" she giggled. "Bossy." and so cute...hehe
 
He started waving her arms around and then playing with her face. "I should take pictures of this."
 
"Ya!"
 
"I won't. Don't worry." He held one of her wrists and Minhee could feel something being put on it. She heard a tiny 'click!' and then Minho said, "okay you can open your eyes now."
 
Immediately, Minhee's eyes flew down to her wrist. It now donned a delicate silver chain bracelet with a few charms on it. The ones that stood out were a cute frog charm and a rainbow charm. "Thank you so much! I...I don't even know what else to say."
 
"It's okay. You don't have to say anything." Minhee hugged him tightly and Minho laughed, wrapping his arms around her as well. This is why you don't have to say anything haha
 
[End of flashback]
 
Minho grinned and was about to walk into the cafe when his phone rang. "Kibum-ah? why are you calling?"
 
"I had to tell you as soon as I found out!"
 
"Tell me what?"
 
"You know how I told you Kakeru is gay last week...well he's not! Kakeru isn't gay! And from what I've been told, he's the one that keeps calling Minhee but she ignores the calls. Hello? Minho-ya?"
 
Minho stared at Minhee who was now making blowfish faces and looking around the cafe bored. He muttered to himself, "he's not gay? But she went to him that one night..."
 
A/N: I bet you guys dread seeing the "A/N" because that means the chapter ends huh? Haha~ well I just wanted to let you guys know that if the flashbacks are confusing (or my writiing style in general) then just tell me and I'll try to fix it!
 
I've been worrying a lot about that lately...as for updates, I tried really hard to update again! Next will be updates for my other stories, they've been more neglected than this one haha XD Spring break is coming for me though (LATE I know T.T) so I will be able to write more soon~ until next time, thanks for reading guys! ^_^
 
P.S. I love how updates give me an excuse to look at pictures of Minho! ^_^ hehe...isn't his puffer face cute? :D