Climb or Fall? That is the Question

Things I'm Not Supposed To Do

 

"Minhee, I can't see a thing!" 
 
"Well, of course you can't, you're blindfolded and I told you not to call me by name like that."
 
"Minhe-"
 
"Oi!"
 
"Alright, alright..." He felt a tug on the rope connected to his harness. "Ah!" he yelled. "What are you doing?!"
 
"My bad, did that hurt you?"
 
Minho looked down but all he could see was pitch black. "I can't tell."
 
"Oh...good news is that I don't see blood."
 
"I hope not!"
 
She held back a giggle and watched Minho reach out for rocks nearby him to hold on to. "A little higher. No, to the left. Ah, to the right. No! Not there! The right! Oops...the one on the left would be easier so you should go back to the left one." Mentally, she thanked Kakeru for nagging her so much during practice because he gave her a good example for how to nag Minho now.
 
Groaning, Minho pulled back and stretched his arm out to the left instead. He had to admit that it wasn't as bad as he thought. Why has it been easy so far? I figured that I would've slipped at least once by now...Minho zoned out until he felt something hit his back. "Ow!"
 
"Pay attention. Do you not want to climb to the top anymore? We can quit now if you'd like."
 
"No! I'll continue! Please don't joke like that."
 
"Like what?"
 
"I would never want to quit, especially considering what's at stake." Although he couldn't tell where he was, all Minho needed to know was that he had to reach the top and he wanted to be there already.
 
If I reach the top, it's not as if things will just go back to the way they were...but it's a start.
 
Minhee wasn't making it easy on him either, continuing to give him vague and confusing instructions. With each new instruction, Minho felt like he was taking two steps forward only to take one back step back and, at times, Minhee literally had him doing that.
 
But just a few moments ago, Minho was sure that he was going to slip and fall off but the rope supported him and kept him up long enough for him to re-stabilize himself. The one controlling the rope was Minhee so knowing that she helped him gave him a little more confidence. He smiled to himself.
 
Minhee wants me to reach the top. She wants us to be best friends again. I have to believe that. I want to...I need to.
 
"Minho?"
 
"Oh! Sorry..." he wanted to hit himself for zoning out but he couldn't or he'd probably fall. Minho thought it was a good thing he didn't zone out to the extent of falling. At least she's saying Minho and not Minho-ssi anymore. That would've driven me crazy if she kept calling me in that way!
 
"You're almost at the top now..."
 
"Really?" Minho asked excitedly.
 
"Yeah..."
 
Why does she sound so down about it? Did she actually not want to succeed? Furrowing his eyebrows, Minho bit the inside of his mouth nervously.
 
"Minho...what if I told you to fall? Would you do it?" Minhee was looking at his back expectantly, wanting him to realize what she really wanted to ask him was "can you fall for me?"
 
"But if I fall, if I don't reach the top, we can't be best friends anymore right?"
 
He didn't understand that the reason Minhee didn't want Minho to reach the top - the reason she wanted him to fall - was so that they could be something other than just best friends
 
"Yeah, you're right...I'm just asking silly questions," she weakly laughed. "Keep reaching out to the right. You'll have a clear path if you go that way but be careful because there's a rock that doesn't seem secure."
 
Minho nodded his head, "got it!" He reached out his hand and continued climbing while listening for Minhee's warnings. 
 
Right before he touched the ceiling, Minhee yelled "wait! I..." she sighed. "Nevermind, go ahead."
 
He hesitated a little, trying to figure out what Minhee was going to say and, out of fear that she might tell him not to touch the ceiling because she doesn't want them to make up, he tapped the ceiling impatiently and pulled off his blindfold. "YES!" 
 
Minhee laughed, "such competitiveness."
 
"Like you're not competitive?" he grinned down at her.
 
Shaking her head, she replied "no I am but you're much worse." Minhee stuck her tongue out at him and he did the same. "Alright, come down slowly now." Minho didn't listen well and just jumped off. "YA! That's-umph!" 
 
Minhee's scolding was cut off when Minho hugged her tightly to his chest. He laid his head on top on hers and whispered, "I missed you." Her answer was hugging him back even tighter. The grip they had on each other was becoming so intense that both of them were starting to feel uncomfortable but they ignored it to continue hugging. 
 
After a while, Minhee pushed him away and told him "hold on here! You're not done."
 
"Are you serious?!"
 
A/N: Sorry it's been so long!!! School was just...*sigh* I won't bore you with that and it was my birthday ^_^ Anyway this is just part 1...I will be updating soon again hopefully!