Free

Turning point

(beta by -dolce-)

--

“Here we are. This is my house, do you want come in?”

“No, thank you. Maybe next time.”

Heechul nodded and entered her house. Siwon stood in front of Heechul’s house long before she left, praying for her safety when he heard her scream. He ran to her house and slammed the door open. He saw a drunk woman kicking Heechul’s curled up body. Heechul was fighting back but apparently, alcohol had doubled her energy, making her a lot stronger than Heechul.

“You ing dirty ! I should have sold you to a brothel years ago!” She spat. Siwon strode to Heechul’s direction and pulled her aunt’s foot, causing her to fall backwards.

She got up and narrowed her eyes at him. “So you were the one who took that ’s ity, huh? You should pay me for her!”

“Shut up, auntie! Shut up!” Heechul hissed weakly.

“What! That’s true. You always bring bad luck to anyone near you. I hate you!” She growled and hurled a vase to their direction. Siwon, by reflex, covered Heechul’s body with his, the vase hitting his back with a loud thump. He winced in pain. “Oh my,  Siwon are you okay?” She whispered and Siwon just tightened his hug. “I’m fine, let’s go.” They stood up and walked to the door.

“Where do you think you’re going, huh?” Her aunt yanked Heechul out of Siwon’s embrace. Siwon didn’t want lose easily, he tugged Heechul’s arm and pushed her to towards the door when suddenly two uniformed police entered the house.

Heechul’s aunt’s face paled when she saw the policemen. She struggled when one of the police officers dragged her to the waiting police car.

“Good evening. May I know who her relative is?”

“I am.” Heechul answered weakly and the police officer’s eyes widened when he saw Heechul’s condition.

“Her aunt beat her up and almost sold her to a brothel.” Siwon explained when he saw that Heechul can barely talk because of shock.

“Come with us to the police station, Miss. We need your statement.”

Heechul nodded and stared at Siwon and as if he can read her mind, Siwon interrupted, ”Excuse me, I’ll come with her, Sir. I’m her f-friend,” The police nodded and ushered both of them to his car.

-- 

Three weeks later

 

“Oy, School President. Thinking about Heechul~,” Once again, Sungmin’s sing song voice ruined his peaceful time.

“No, Sungmin. I am not thinking about her, I’m thinking about the final exam and I am no longer the school president. I’m retired, remember?”

“Yeah, whatever. You retired with the best record because you can finally tame her. She comes on time every time now.” Sungmin stopped talking and played with her phone, while Siwon turned his attention back to his book.

“Are you still enemies?” Siwon stopped reading and thought about it; If Heechul’s return to her old self (talking to Siwon harshly) was any sign that they’re still enemies, then maybe they still were. “Maybe,.” He threw his gaze to the school yard and saw Heechul walking with her friend. Involuntarily, his eyes followed her every movement. Honestly, after the incident three weeks ago, Siwon felt they were starting to get close but somehow, in the middle two week ago, they went back to where they were before.

“Concentrate on the final exam, Siwon. Don’t think about other things.” Teased Sungmin and Siwon just clicked his tongue in annoyance. “Keep denying Siwon but in the end you won’t be able to deny anything.” Sungmin stated and Siwon just rolled his eyes.

-- 

Mireu’s expression changed several times in the span of 15 minutes. Her expression ranged from shock, sadness, relief and finally glee when Heechul ended her story. “So, Siwon-sshi is no longer your enemy, huh?” She asked.

Heechul who was staring at the sky averted her gaze and looked at Mireu. “No. I still don’t like him so he’s still my enemy.” Of course Mireu didn’t buy it, she kept staring at Heechul intently, make her fidget on her seat.

“Okay, Maybe I like him a little bit now but it’s not enough to consider him a friend so he’s still my enemy.”

“If you say so.”

 --

Life started to feel like heaven since her aunt got arrested. Heechul was determined to pursue her education in Seoul. She sold the house and lived temporarily in one of the rooms on top of the café. She paid her aunt’s debt so the loan shark won’t have any reason disturb her. For some odd reason, she believed her aunt when she said that she bring bad luck to the people around her. But Heechul convinced herself that she only bring bad luck to those who hurt her.

 

“The loan shark who chased your aunt is dead. He was trapped inside his house during a fire.” Heechul looked up from reading her book when Shindong blurted the news.

“Heechul, phone call for you.” Mr. Shin called.

Heechul rushed to the phone. She talked for few minutes. She placed the receiver back to the cradle, tears rolling down her cheeks but a smile was also visible on her lips.

“What’s wrong?” Mr. Shin asked cautiously, slowly approaching Heechul after beckoning his son to come closer.

“Maybe both of you will think I’m some maniac to feel happy upon someone’s death but right now I’m glad my aunt is dead, she got a heart attack.”

“Oh, dear.” Mr. Shin held her hand. He fully understood, Heechul half-lied when she said she’s glad that her aunt was dead if tears that were still trickling down was any indication. She was sad and relieved at the same time and he couldn’t imagine someone stronger than Heechul. Some people would have ended their lives a long time ago if their relative tries to sell them to a brothel or beat them up.

“I’ll go with you to the police station.” Shindong took his and her coat and they left immediately.

Mr. Shin decided to close Paper and Pie, because no one was around to help him. He can only make coffee but he can’t cook anything to save his life. He will only risk poisoning the customers. When he was about to lock up, Siwon showed up.

“Mr. Shin, you’re already closed?”

“Ah, yes but if you just want a cup of coffee, I can fix you one.” He said as he opened the door wider. Siwon stepped in and sat at his favorite spot near the bookstore entrance. It became his favorite spot when he realized that it gives him a full view of the cashier and the open kitchen behind the food counter. He can stare at Heechul behind his book wherever she was. He had to admit that Heechul caught his attention but only a little bit.

“Here’s your coffee and we only have blueberry cheesecake. Shindong ran out of other cakes and he was not able to make new ones.”

Siwon smiled and soon they were absorbed into a conversation about life, weather, book, fate, and good coffee.

“Mr. Shin, I didn’t see Heechul, where is she?” He didn’t want to ask but the place was too quiet and he couldn’t contain his curiosity.

 “She’s in the police station with Shindong. Her aunt passed away.”

 

 --

Siwon half-ran to the police station. He stopped in his tracks when he realized what he’s doing. Heechul didn’t even consider him as a friend. He ward of those thoughts and told himself that he only wanted to know if she’s okay. Will she take care of the funeral since she’s her aunt’s only relative? Was she crying alone? Was there anyone willing to lend their shoulder for her? Will she need him beside her?

Siwon stopped walking when he thought of the last possibility. He was now standing in front of the police station. He hesitated if he’s going to go in or not. For the first time, he couldn’t decide a simple thing like this. Finally, when he was about to walk away from the police station, a familiar voice stopped him.

“Siwon, what are you doing here?”

He faced the owner of the voice, “I heard about your aunt.”

“Heechul, I’ll go ahead.” Shindong interrupted, understanding that they needed time and privacy.

“Yes, be careful, Oppa,” Heechul turned her attention back to Siwon, “Yeah, she passed away.”

 

-TBC-