Be careful!

Turning point

(beta by -dolce)

---

“Be careful,” Mireu said out of the blue and Heechul needed time to process what she said.

She frowned, “What?”

“Be careful about him, you might end up falling in love with him.” She said nonchalantly and yelped in pain when Heechul pinched her arm.

“To hate him more is the biggest possibility. Bye, see you tomorrow at school, Mireu!” Heechul opened the front door and saw a few unfamiliar shoes, it’s just one thing, her auntie’s friend came again for playing cards and gambling.

She quietly made her way to her bedroom on the second floor and suddenly, she heard her auntie talking about the money she kept in her room. She's walked faster and locked her bedroom door before opening her cupboard only to find her money jar empty. The money's supposedly for buying the book Siwon had bought earlier. She had been saving her money for buying the book since a few months ago because it's quite expensive and her salary wasn’t only for that, half of it goes to the bank for her university fund and the other half to her drunkard and gambler auntie.

Tears trickled down her flawless cheek after so many years. She never cried except when her parents died five years ago. Now she's crying only because she couldn’t buy the book. But the main reason would be that she really couldn’t tolerate her auntie anymore and she really look forward to her graduation so she can go far away from her. She cried until her eyes hurt and she slept on the floor in exhaustion.

-

Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry, Naega naega naega meonjeo, Nege nege nege ppajyeo, Ppajyeo ppajyeo beoryeo baby

Groggily she picked up her phone with hoarse voice, a deep voice was heard on other line and she immediately recognized the owner of it. “Don’t be late. I’m waiting at gate.” Heechul turned her phone off, got up and walked to the bathroom.

---

Siwon stared at his phone although he won’t call anyone else after Heechul. He just noticed something different on Heechul’s voice but he chose to ignore it. He grabbed his backpack, heading to the dining room.

-

“Where’s my money, ?” What she gets every morning wasn't sweet good morning but harsh word and she was grew accustomed to it.

“I don’t have money. You took my savings last night, hag!” Spat Heechul angrily and she got a hard slap on her right cheek. Heechul winced when she pull her hair.

“I want my money!” she growled lowly, reeking of alcohol. Heechul dug her bag and handed the last money she had.

After got the money, she released her grip on Heechul’s hair, walked past her and entered her room. Heechul glanced at her wristwatch and realized that maybe today she will be late again. She start running to her school the minute she was in front of the house.

-

Siwon stood near gate, glancing at his wristwatch again. Five minutes before the gate closes and Heechul's still missing. Siwon sighed, inside his head, he's already planning a punishment for her. He ready closed the gate when Heechul come running and slipped her body entering gate before the gate completely closed. She stop running and panting.

“Still late.” Siwon said coldly.

Heechul took a deep breath and glared at him. “Well, I think I'm still on time.” Siwon noticed something different on her face and grabbed her hand before she can walk away. “What the--let me go!” Heechul hissed but Siwon didn’t heard her command; he lifted his hand and tucked Heechul's hair that's covering the right side of her face behind her ear. The sight that welcomed him make him frown in concern. A bright red hand mark formed on her cheek and her eyes were slightly swollen.

“What’s going on?” He asked before he can stop himself. He didn't want to be involved in her problems.

“It does not concern you." Heechul jerked her hand but Siwon's obviously stronger than her.

“I’m the school president. I guess I have right to know.” He stated as he dragged Heechul to the infirmary.

“But you’re not my friend and I just let my friends know about my problem.”

Siwon sighed in disbelief. How could a stubborn person like her exist? He didn’t realize that Sungmin saw him dragging Heechul towards the school clinic.

 

I see Siwon around Heechul too much recently. That’s good though, at least maybe he finally found his match.” She smiled and entered her class, she knew too well that Siwon and Heechul don't have class until lunch time. “That’s why I have the schedule of all the students in school."

-

“Sit here!” Siwon said as he loosened his grip and walked to the next room. Heechul sat on the bed and pouted. “I couldn’t find the doctor. I guess I can get some ice from the cafeteria.”

“Why don't you go to your class? I’m fine, it’s not a big deal. I-I'm used to it.” She didn’t dare look at Siwon and just stared at her lap. She hated to show her weakness and was not used to someone taking care of her. In Siwon's case, caring as the school president and not as a friend. She can't control her tears and it gave stinging pain when tears caressed her red cheek. Quietly, she wiped her tears and scolded herself mentally because showed her weakness in front of her enemy.

Siwon stood dumbfounded, slightly taken aback when he saw Heechul crying and he didn’t have any clue on what he should do. Hug her? Nah, she’s his enemy and he's not supposed to be involved in anything about Heechul. “I’ll be back in a moment. Wait here.”

Heechul finally let go of the painful sobs when Siwon left. She clutched her bed sheet tightly until her knuckles turned white. She bit her bottom lip to suppress her scream and she can taste copper when her lips started bleeding. She didn’t know how long she was crying when someone grabbed her shoulder and enveloped her body inside a warm hug. She was startled and struggled to free herself when she recognized the owner of the strong arms.

“If you want to cry, do it now. Even enemies can have a truce and I think now is the right time.” His deep voice soothed her and she ended up crying on his chest, clutching his shirt and wetting it though he didn’t seem to mind. He just hugged her, tucked her head under his chin and wondered “What on earth am I doing? I'm hugging my enemy inside the infirmary. I must be crazy!"

---

Siwon adjusted the blanket covering Heechul’s body. Finally, she fall asleep after crying too much. Siwon sat beside her, staring at her peaceful face although tearmarks tainted it. He can somehow sense how hard her life was.

“It seems that the  school president's cold heart finally cared for other person besides me.”

Siwon was startled to hear the familiar voice of Sungmin and “N-No, it’s not like that--”

Sungmin chuckled,  “Really? Because what I see tells something else. Is she your enemy, a person who can tarnish your perfect discipline record as school president?”

Siwon nodded, slight confused with Sungmin. “But it says otherwise when you hugged her. Be careful, you might fall in love with her.”

“That’s impossible, Sungmin. I'm just doing my duty as school president. My duty is to take care of all the students and she..she just had bad day, yeah, a bad day.” He explained nervously and Sungmin just laughed at him. By reflex, he shushed her, glancing at Heechul’s direction and sighed in relief when she didn't seem to be affected and still on deep slumber.

“See, I told you. I never saw you hug any student although they're crying in front of you. You just pat their shoulder and say, 'everything will be fine’ and you never hugged me even though I’m your best friend unless I hug you first.” She pouted.

“That’s..uh..just..” Siwon gulped, not knowing what to say to convince Sungmin.

“Do you really love me when you confessed to me or you just want to take the burden off your chest?”

Siwon’s eyes widened in surprise. Somehow the conversation has changed from Heechul to their personal matter. Siwon was silent for a moment and thought about it. He loved Sungmin? Yes. Now, does he still love her? Honestly, he wasn’t quite sure anymore. Maybe she’s right, he just wanted to take the burden off his chest because of the love that  he harbored secretly for three years. It was like a gamble. If Sungmin accepts him then they can be together; if not, then he can finally move on.

He smiled softly. “I love you as my best friend now, Sungmin. I think you already know that.”

“Right. I was afraid you will hate me but I’m glad we can still be friends.”

“Who are you kidding, Sungmin? I’m Choi Siwon, a person who can control his heart easily.”

Sungmin rolled her eyes in mocked annoyance, “Yeah right, Mr. Smugly. I’ll go first.”

Suddenly, she popped out again, “Don’t forget, be careful but I agree if you'll be with her. She can bring color into your boring life.” She laughed and left Siwon with the sleeping Heechul.

“Tch.” He scoffed. Sungmin’s words were messing up his mind. He checked his wristwatch. Lunch will end in one hour and after that, he should go to class.

“When will you wake up, Princess? I don't have all day to accompany you.” He mocked softly. He stared at Heechul's sleeping face again and his hand moved involuntarily, tuckiing away those strands of hair off her face. When he realized what he was doing, he pulled back his hand with a red face. “You're definitely crazy. Don’t let Sungmin’s words influence you.” He scolded himself. He stood up and walked towards the window. He thought maybe some fresh air can help him regain his composure.

 

 

 

 

 

-TBC-

Thank you so much for beta-ing this story -dolce- .. :D