Don’t ask about my day

Turning point

(beta by -dolce-)

--

“Finally,” sighed Heechul when she put the last document with label Z onto document rack. She stood up and clean the dust off her skirt. Her eyes caught a little black book, stuck on the very bottom part of the rack. She picked it up and turned a page. In it written, “You can run away from danger but you can’t run away from love.”

“Cheesy,” thought Heechul and opened another page. Soon, she's drowning inside every word the owner of book wrote. “She or he can be a good writer but why did she or he choose to put this precious thing in this dark corner?” Heechul thought for a moment and she decided to take the book with her, assuming the owner already graduated from high school and forgot about the book. She glanced to her wristwatch and sighed again as she realized the lunch break almost ended and her stomach was empty almost all day long. She grabbed her bag and walked to the door. Right as she grabbed the door knob, the door flung open and smacked her right on the face making her fall backwards because the impulse.

“, are you blind?” She threw her curses while rubbing her sore face (her nose and forehead to be exact).

“Language, Kim Heechul!”

Heechul grunted as she know who’s the culprit. She hastily stood up and stormed out of the room, walking passed him who's standing in the doorway. She knew she can't escape easily when Siwon's vice-tight grip caught her wrist.

“Let go of my hand, Choi! I had finished my task. Check it if you don't believe my word!”

“Listen, I don't to want see you on punishment task anymore. We will graduate in two months and I don't want to have a bad record as the school president.” Said Siwon calmly without letting go of her wrist.

Heechul just glared at him and hissed. “I never broke any serious school rules, I just broke the rule about time.”

“Exactly, because in senior year, the person who's always breaking the rule is you, only you and I don’t want this happening again. I’ll make sure you won’t be late again.”

“How?”

“I’ll call you every morning before 6am and if you don't pick up, I’ll be waiting in front of the school gate and I'll make sure you’ll be entering punishment room again. Do we have a deal?”

“Fine, I agree. Now let go, I don't want other students to see us like this.” Heechul yanked her hand when Siwon loosen his grasp and without a second glance, she walked away from Siwon.

“Wait, I'm not done talking.”

Heechul reluctantly stopped and waited for Siwon to continue without turning her body to facing Siwon. Once again Siwon held her hand and slipped something into her hand, a package wrapped in saran wrap. “I know you haven’t had lunch. Don’t be late again and don't forget about our deal.” Heechul once again yanked her hand and almost ran away from Siwon. Afraid that if he talks again, she will lose all her precious time for lunch just to listen to him.

“I hate you, Choi!” She mumbled and took a look on what Siwon gave her. It’s chocolate bread. “Even if you give me one kilogram of gold, I still dislike you, Choi. Never think that one piece of bread can change my mind.” She kept grumbling but ate the bread nonetheless when her stomach gave weird sound as result of hunger.

This is the first deal that they ever made.

She slumped on her desk with don’t-ask-about-my-day look in her face, making Mireu shut even before she asked. Heechul lazily threw her gaze outside and saw the school president talking animatedly with a cute girl. Heechul knew her, she’s Lee Sungmin, a member of martial arts club and behind her cute appearance she definitely can kick the of the guys who tried messing up with her. “I wish she can kick our school president's for me,” She mused, lost in her thoughts about kicking Siwon’s . She didn’t realize Mireu had sat beside her.

“Seriously, I thought they are supposed to be dating. It’s obvious that Siwon likes her.”

“He does?”

“Yeah, even an oblivious person like me can see it clearly.”

“Yeah, right.” Heechul agreed because Mireu can be a very oblivious person and if she noticed something between the two, so maybe that’s true. “They look good together.” She added as she averted her gaze from them and concentrating to her friend who busy ignoring Joon. Remember when Mireu said she was an oblivious person? Well, maybe she's indeed an oblivious person. She didn’t realize or didn’t want to admit that Joon had tried courting her since their sophomore year, yet until now she still had not reciprocated his feelings. “Just say yes, Mireu.” Said Heechul when Mireu complained to her again about Joon's behavior.

Before she replied, the bell rang and a teacher entered their class. Heechul took a glance again outside and saw Sungmin gave Siwon a hug. The hug meant only for couples. And then Sungmin left, leaving Siwon alone with his head bowed down. Her gaze lingered on Siwon longer that necessary.

“Kim Heechul, Can I get your attention?” The teacher's stern voice brought her back to her senses.

“Uuuh. . .yes, Mr.Kim!”

----

“Sungmin. . .uhm. . .I-I want to say something to you.”

“Yes, what is it, Siwon?”

“That’s..uuh..I like you Sungmin. We had been friends for long time and I think I want us to be more than friends.” Siwon saw an apologetic smile on her face. “Oh, no. It’s bad sign.”

“I’m so sorry but we should just be best of friends, Siwon-ah. I already have a boyfriend.”

“You have boyfriend? Who? Why didn't you tell me?”

“We just become a couple two weeks ago, his name Chansung, from Sky high school.”

“Oh, I see. Congratulations. We are still best friends, right?”

“Yes.” Sungmin stepped forward and gave him a quick hug. “Mianhe.” She whispered before leaving him behind.

After Sungmin left, he bowed his head and silently endured his broken heart. It hurts, yes, but he didn't feel surprised that Sungmin rejected him. Since the beginning, she only considered him as her friend and never as someone special.

Siwon felt someone watching him but when he turned his head to the direction of the classrooms, no one was watching him. He shook his head and walked to his own class.

--

“So, Siwon gave you punishment on student's document room, made you stay there for almost five hours, gave you chocolate bread and offered to call you every morning so you won’t be late?”

Heechul only rolled her eyes in boredom. She had explained the same thing three times and Mireu will repeat her story and when she says yes, Mireu will squeal and say, “Sooo, cute! He’s nice! So, tell me again.”

“Yes, Mireu. Yes.” And immediately, she squealed.

“Sooo, cute! He’s nice! So..”

“Stop it, Mireu! Gosh, that’s not a big deal and not cute. Just don’t say anything for next 30 minutes. Sssh..okay?” finally Heechul’s patience which as thin as paper reached the limit. Inside her heart she didn’t want to see the dejected expression on Mireu’s face because of her but if it's the only way to make her stop squealing, it’s worth it. They spent the rest of the walk to their part time job in silence, but Mireu seemed like she couldn’t shut and let her mood turn gloomy for more than five minutes because suddenly she hummed a familiar song to cheer herself.

“Aish..” Heechul scoffed. Mireu turned to her and smiled at her and Heechul can't help but smile back.

 

 

 

 

-TBC-