Second Chances

Ryu Odagiri's Fiance in an All Boys' School

Ryu sighed as he watched his girlfriend eat her breakfast like a lifeless doll. Even though Yuki tried to hide it, it was obvious she was still bothered by what Hayato and the guys said last night. He decided to plan a little surprise for later to cheer her up.

"Yuki," Ryu said softly, pulling her from her thoughts. "You go to school ahead of me okay? I want to show you something later." She finally smiled again that morning and nodded, making Ryu's heart flutter. They shared a hug before Yuki left in a car Ryu called for her since he didn't want something to happen to her. "Okay, where's that list Hayato gave me?" Ryu began searching for the paper around his room as he thought back to the day he asked for Hayato's help.

"Hayato," Ryu called. "Sorry for calling late, but I need your help."

"Sure," Hayato agreed muffled, making Ryu think he was eating something. "What'd you need?"

"I think I'm beginning to like Yuki," he admitted to Hayato and in a second he heard something being sprayed.

"WHAT?!" Hayato's cheerful yet surprised voice called. Ryu chuckled at his friend.

"I'm beginning to like Yuki," Ryu repeated. "But I think she likes someone else. So I need you to help me fiind out what she wants a guy to do for her."

"My little Ryu is growing up!" Hayato teased. "But okay! Consider Hayato the y leader of 3D to be your--OW HOT!" Ryu smirked and hung up, knowing that his friend had spilled his ramen all over himself.

"Here it is," Ryu muttered as he pulled the paper out out from under his pillow.

 

~Yuki~

 

'School's about to start...Where's Ryu?' Yuki wondered worriedly as she bit her finger and tapped her foot. Her worries were sent away when a familir man with a smile just for Yuki came into the class. "Ryu-kun!" Yuki cried as she flung her arms around him. "What took you so long?"

"I had something to do," Ryu replied secretively as he put a finger to his lips and winked at her. Suddenly Hayato walked up to them and gestured to Takeda and Hyuga.

"We wanted to apologize for last night Yuki-chan," Hayato stated. "We were just mad about those guys and then having you tell us what we did wrong made us pretty ashamed of ourselves. And I know if Tsucchi was here, he'd feel the same. Forgive us?" The guys sent her a pleading look with a pout.

"Of course," Yuki chirped, getting Hayato to ruffle her hair. Ryu gave them a look as Yuki gave each of the guys a hug. However the mood turned bad again once Yankumi stepped into the class. She told them that Tsucchi, Kojiyama, Omori, and Hamaguchi were no longer able to do the interview. Yuki looked down with sympathy for her friends as the door opened up to reveal the four boys.

"I had no idea that interviewer saw our fight last night," Tsucchi complained. "We're so unlucky." Yuki felt like lecturing him again, but she knew not to since they were upset already.

"That's not it," Yankumi chastised. "Don't say sorry. You ruined the interview we got after such trouble. Stop being so easy-going!"

"What did we do wrong?" Hayato asked annoyed.

"It was Todoroki and his guys. It's their faults," Hyuga added.

"They picked a fight with us," Takeda chimed in. Ryu looked down, holding in his annoyance about the guys. He looked over to Yuki who grabbed his hand. Even though she did it to assure him to leave it to Yankumi, Yuki felt that it was more for her to not burst out at them like last night.

"Look," Hayato stated as he stood up. "Yuki already said the same thing to us yesterday. We don't need it from you."

"But it looks like you do," Yankumi retorted with just as much sterness as he had. "If you understood her, then you wouldn't be saying these things now. You guys might be okay with this, but what about them?" She gestured to Kojiyama, Hamaguchi, and Omori. "Because of your stupid fight they weren't able to go through with the interview. I'm not going to tell you not to fight, but there are times when you have to act smarter. Time to exercise self-control."

"Okay then, I couldn't control myself," Hayato stated still laid back.

"Don't show me that attitude," Yankumi scolded.

"Don't get angry," Hamaguchi sadly said. "It's not like we would've got it. It's fine."

"It's not fine!" Yankumi argued. "It's about your lives! How can you not care about that? Think about your lives!" Everyone stared at her with regret and Yuki could easily find disappointment in her eyes. "Up until now, your parents covered everything for you. But from here it's different."

"Clean up your own mess right?" Ryu asked.

"Not just that," Yankumi replied, but the disappointment from her eyes seem to be decreasing because of Ryu. "Take responsiblilities for your actions." Her lecture continued, causing the guys to become more guilty than before. Yuki tried to give Hayato, Takeda, and Hyuga reassurance by grabbing their hands once before walking back to Ryu, who gave her another look for doing so. The mood went down even more when the super intendent, vice principal, and Sawatari entered the class. They threatened to expel anyone who causes a repeat of what happened and class 3D was now no longer allowed to search for part time jobs. Many rose up to protest, but were silenced by Yankumi who promised to get them all to graduate and find their places in life. However her dream was laughed at by the super intendent, causing Yuki to tighten her grip on Ryu's hand.

The rest of that day the class became a bit quieter than usual, but the teachers didn't complain about that. Yankumi was somehow cheerful again the next day as she entered the class with a pile of books covering her face. Yuki ran to help her as Yankumi greeted the class, earning greetings back. Yuki smiled, knowing that their teacher will be touched with what she's about to hear.

"I've gathered a list of colleges and part time jobs. Be sure to look them over," Yankumi announced as she passed them out. "If you see any that you're interested in, please tell me." As some students told her about their confusion or unsureness, Yankumi continued staying hopeful to help them. "Okay, let me ask you. What interests you the most?"

"Cars and motorcycles," the student replied after thinking. Yankumi suggested for him to try working at a garage. As others told her their interests or skills, Yankumi gave them suggestions also. She also encouraged some of them that they shouldn't give up straight from the start. Yuki's heart began to feel warmth as she saw Yankumi smile at the students getting excited about jobs.

"Guys," Yuki whispered. "Now would be a great time to tell her." She began to push the guys towards Yankumi, earning yet another look from Ryu."

"No," Takeda whispered back. "Let's tell her tomorrow." Yuki pouted but agreed nonetheless. As long as they told Yankumi, it'll be fine. As the class continued talking about the jobs, Yuki noticed Ryu with a scowl on his face.

"Your face is going to be stuck like that if you don't smile soon," Yuki teased. Ryu looked over at her sadly and Yuki became serious. "Ryu-kun, what's wrong?" He sighed and pulled her into a hug, ignoring looks from the surrounding students.

"Don't worry about it okay?" Ryu replied and thought it was impossible for him to get mad at her since she was so innocent. He saw her about to ask again so he placed a finger on her lips. "I'll be fine, just forget it Yuki." He placed a kiss on her nose and caused her to blush.

"That's very cute Odagirir-san and Kudo-san," Yankumi called out with a look. "But this is class, please know when to do such things." The two nodded at her. Ryu with a smirk, and Yuki with a nervous look.

That night they went to eat out together with the guys. For some reason Ryu kept throwing looks at Yuki whenever she touched one of the others, even if it was a friendly gesture. So as they were walking home, Ryu made sure to keep her arm over Yuki's shoulders. However they stopped when Ryu pointed out their teacher. They watched and felt their hearts being tugged at as their teacher was repeatedly turned down by the boss, but continued asking for their sake anyways.

"She told us once didn't she?" Ryu reminded of the day in class. Yuki felt herself get angry as the other guys said she shouldn't have so much hope in them.

"Don't you guys get it?" Yuki asked hushed. "Yankumi believes in us. If you guys just give up like that after all the trouble she's going through for us, don't you think that's a bit messed up? It's like you're throwing away her efforts for us! At least try for her sake!" The guys looked at each other before looking back at Ryu and Yuki.

"Alright then," Hayato stated, smirking. "From now on, we give our all for Yankumi, alright?" A "Hai!" followed his request and Yuki jumped to hug Hayato and the guys. No one noticed the expression Ryu had again while Yuki hugged them. They parted ways and got ready for tomorrow so they can tell Yankumi their promise.

"Congratulations Takayama!" Everyone cheered. Yankumi had somehow gotten the guy a job and although he was the only one, his friends cheered him on anyways. Even Tsucchi congratulated him when he came into class. Yankumi ran to him with a smile.

"Tsucchiya," Yankumi cried happily. "It's Joyful Company, the one that didn't work out before. They're willing to interview you tomorrow. Along with Kojiyama, Hamaguchi, and Omori."

"Yankumi, you asked them?" Tsucchi asked extremely touched.

"I'm your homeroom teacher," Yankumi reminded proudly. "It's my job." He thanked her before Hayato stepped up in front of the group. "What's wrong?"

"We'll pay you back," Hayato promised. Seeing her confused look, Ryu walked up also.

"He means we'll graduate," Ryu translated. Yuki nodded with a big smile and came up from behind Ryu.

"All of us together," Tsucchi promised.

"And guess what else?" Yuki asked. "We also promise not to fight until the end of graduation. Well they promise, I promise to keep them out of fights."

"We won't let the super intendent have it the way he wants it," Hyuga added.

"Just watch us," Takeda challenged and playfully punched Yankumi. She smiled at them touched and Yuki could see tears coming out from the corners of Yankumi's eyes. After Yankumi left the classroom, Yuki pointed it out to them and they all felt happy knowing they made their teacher proud.