Mixed Signals

Ryu Odagiri's Fiance in an All Boys' School

"What happened about yesterday?" Yuki cried at Ryu who started to be cold to her again. They had just kissed the night before and now he treats her like a nuisance again! "We were just caught up in the moment,"Ryu said. "Forget about what happened. But I am keeping my promise of protecting you. Now get ready, we need to go to school."

Yuki angrily threw a pillow at him and pushed him out of her room. "You go to school on your own! I'm staying home!"  Hoping he'd come back and try to convince her to go to school, Yuki's hopes became crushed as she heard him yell "I'm leaving now!" and closed the door. "Jerk, you don't even try to make me go..." She said sadly and went downstairs. Yuki made herself breakfast and as she ate she looked around the house.

"This house is getting a bit untidy..." Yuki spoke aloud to herself. "Since I'm not going to school today, maybe I should clean this place up." For the next few hours, she cleaned the entire house by herself. After she was finished, she changed into some casual clothes and decided to walk around. As she walked around, an old man nearby was coughing and seemed as if he was about to fall over. Yuki rushed to his aid and helped him walk to the doctor. Turns out the man had a cold and he was on the way to the doctor anyways. Yuki lent a hand to whatever she could for the old man and headed home. However on the way home a bunch of little kids had pushed her into a pond nearby because they couldn't control their bikes. Before she could forgive them, the boys pedaled away on their bikes thinking she would yell at them.

 

~Present~

 

"ACHOO!" Yuki sneezed cutely as she held another tissue to her nose. It had been a week since that fight with Ryu. Since then Ryu had been taking care of her when he had the chance. "Stupid head, why didn't you shower and change clothes when you got home?" He asked her annoyed. "Instead of falling asleep in them? It's been a week and you're still sick!" She groaned and turned away from him, not in the mood for another argument.

"I was tired ok?" Yuki replied tired. "And you yelling at me is just making it worse! I wish Hayato was here to help me instead!" Over the week, Takeda or Hayato would sometimes come to help out with Yuki since Ryu couldn't do it all the time. Angered, Ryu slammed the bowl on the small table. "I've been making porridge for you this week, checking your temperature, and taking care of you. And now you wish Yabuki was the one here?" He bellowed angrily. Normally Yuki would've felt bad making him feel like this, but she's sick and he's screaming at her!

"Yes!" She yelled back. "At least he doesn't yell at me! And unlike you, he doesn't call me stupid when I give him my side of the story!" The two of them became silent for about ten minutes until Ryu sighed.

"Fine, I'll call Hayato to come over and take care of you," He said defeated. "I don't need you to be ungrateful when we're already dealing with Tsucchi being expelled." Yuki suddenly felt regret as Ryu ran his hand through his hair. His words got to her as her eyes opened wide, but before she could ask, Ryu was already going downstairs to call Hayato.

Hayato didn't take long to come over. Yuki groaned as she felt someone disturb her sleep by poking her cheek. "Wake up Yuki-chan~~♫" A cheerful voice sang. "What Takeda?" Yuki muttered trying to sit up and open her eyes. "What are you doing here? I thought Ryu called Hayato?" She spun around as a finger poked her back.

"Right here!" He smiled at the girl sitting in front of him. Takeda handed Yuki a bowl of porridge. As she ate, she thought the porridge tasted differently. "Sorry," Hayato apologized. "Ryu usually makes better tasting porridge than us. He refused to make it today for some reason."

"Oh..."Yuki said softly and continued eating. "By the way, I heard from Ryu that Tsucchi is getting expelled?" The two looked at each other before looking at her.

"A teacher from another school said he forced one of the students to hang out with him," Takeda explained. "But he was really just covering for her." Hayato ruffled her head.

"Don't worry though, Yankumi's on the case," Hayato assured her. "And you know what happens when she's involved," Takeda chirped. "Well I need to leave, see ya, Hayato, Yuki-chan!" He waved to them before exiting and Hayato to sit in front of Yuki looking seriously.

"Ok now tell me," he said to her. "What happened between you and Ryu?" Hayato could read her like a book. Yuki and him have gotten pretty close lately, but only as brother and sister. Yuki sadly explained to him what happened. She told him about their kiss and the next day Ryu pretended that it never happened.

"Awww! My little sister's growing up!" He laughed as Yuki blushed at his comment. "You two kissed without me doing anything!"

"It's nothing at all Hayato..." She said pouting. "Ryu keeps giving me mixed signals. He's sweet one moment, and then cold to me the next."

"Well do you like him?" To her, Hayato seemed like a high school girl right now.

"I don't know..."Yuki admitted. "I get kind of excited when he's close to me, I feel a bit warm in his arms, and when I found out he refused to make the porridge for me today something hurted a bit inside." Hayato clapped his hands smiling.

"It's not love yet," Hayato said smiling. "But it sounds like you have a crush on him! Come on, I'll teach you what to do when that moment comes. Pretend I'm Ryu and confess to me!"

"WHAT?!" She asked shocked. "It's just for practice! Do it, you'll need to be prepared for the future," Hayato continued. Unsure, Yuki nodded her head.

"Ummm, I like you," Yuki said monotoned. "Please take care of me."

"No, no, no!" Hayato made an X with his arms. "You're being too emotionless, here try again!"

 

~Ryu's POV~

 

Ryu heard Hayato and Yuki talking in her room as he stood outside the door. Takeda had left and something inside him burned knowing that Yuki and his best friend were alone with each other, considering the two of them have gotten so close lately.

"I really like you," Yuki's voice said. 'What? Yuki likes...Yabuki?' That thought punched Ryu in the chest. "A lot. Please take care of me." Yabuki then spoke out. "Oh Yuki-chan, I knew this day would come!" Ryu peered his head in to see Yabuki lifting Yuki's chin as she was blushing.

"What's going on here?"  Ryu asked them calmly, but inside he was threatening to kill Yabuki. The two froze as they saw him.

"It's not what it looks like Odagiri!" Yabuki defended and threw his hands up in an X. Yuki quickly shook her head too.

"Whatever, have fun with each other." Ryu slammed the door as he left.

 

~Yuki~

 

"Well that was terrible..."Yuki said worriedly. "Can you please go talk to him? I don't want him to misunderstand!" Hayato nodded, but continued to sit there.

"I know, but maybe we can use this to our advantage," he said smirking. "What if we used this to make him jealous and realize his feelings for you?" Yuki glared at him so hard that he raised a pillow up to block himself from her view. "Ok! Ok! I'll go talk to him!"

"Make sure he doesn't know what it was about!" Yuki sighed as Hayato rushed out of her room. She hugged her knees to herself hoping the situation will be resolved.

 

~Ryu~

 

"Ryu!" He turned around and saw Hayato running at him.

"What do you want?" Ryu asked harshly. "You already have Yuki, I don't know what else you could want." Hayato smiled at the mention of Yuki. "Say Ryu, do you like Yuki?" He scoffed to put up a front.

"Why would I? Remember the coin you flipped landed on heads." Hayato shook his head at his friend. "Well when I flipped the coin, what were you hoping for?" Ryu eyes his friend suspiously. "It doesn't matter. She likes you. You two confessed to each other just a moment ago."

"Ryu, she doesn't like me ok?" Ryu fought back the urge to smile at this. "We were just practicing for when she gets confessed to. She likes y- uhh someone else." Hayato winked at Ryu suggestively and reached for a cup of water. "We've been friends for years Hayato, are you gay?" Ryu shut his eyes as water and spit were sprayed onto his face.

"NO!" Hayato hollared at him. "That's not what I meant! And you should know I'm straight since I wanted to see those girls at our school the other day!" Then he looked back at Ryu seriously. "Don't change the subject, what were you hoping the coin would be?"

"Why should that matter?" Ryu asked. "The coin's side isn't what gives us the answer Ryu. It's which side we hope for when the coin is unknown that's the answer," Hayato advised wisely.  Ryu nodded, finally understanding. "I flipped a two headed coin to make sure it says you don't like her. I wanted to see if it's otherwise in your mind. I didn't think you'd be stupid enough to let a coin decide your life for you." The two friends laughed as they worked out the misunderstanding.

"I was hoping for tails." Ryu confessed, making Hayato smile.

"Well I better go, you go and talk to Yuki." Hayato winked at Ryu one last time before going out. Ryu smiled to himself and began cooking porridge for her again.

"I wonder who she likes..." Ryu said softly.

 

~Yuki~

 

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Come in!" Yuki called out as she sat up. She began rubbing the sleep out of her eyes as her messed up hair fell to the right side of her head. 'Kawaii..' Ryu thought staring at her. "Odagiri-kun?" She asked and waved to him.

"Eat up," Ryu ordered and held the spoon near . Yuki stared at him confused. "I'm feeding you since you're probably too stupid to do it on your own." She got ready to yell at him until Yuki noticed he had a genuine smile on. Yuki stuck her tongue at him as she realized he was just joking and allowed him to feed her. She stared as she watched him blow on the food to cool it. Her heart started pounding faster as Yuki saw him pucker his lips to blow.

'They look so soft...' she thought in his mind. 'Is that boy trying to make me kiss him?' Ryu stared at her with one eyebrow raised.

"Are you getting a fever now?" He asked. Yuki shook her head and looked down. Ryu, still confused, put his hand on her head to look for a fever. "You don't feel hot, but your face is burning up." His hand traced itself around her cheeks and to her chin, causing Yuki to burn up even more.

"I'm f-fine Odagiri-kun," Yuki whispered trying to get him to move. She squeaked as she felt Ryu put another hand on her bed. Yuki felt him tilting her chin up to look at him. 'Just like that night...He's going to kiss me again...' Yuki closed her eyes and leaned up at him. Feeling his hot breath on her lips, she puckered up again.

"Eh what are you doing?" Ryu's voice snapped her out of it and she opened her eyes. Feeling embarrassed, she bit her lip and tried to look away. Laughing, he threw an arm over her shoulder and trapped her between him and the wall. "If you wanted a kiss, all you had to do was ask." Yuki whimpered as she closed her eyes again. Soon she felt warm and soft lips lock with hers in a sweet and passionate kiss again. Yuki placed her hands on his chest as Ryu left one arm over her shoulders and one hand on the bed to balance himself. His kisses took her breath away. They broke apart to breathe as Yuki looked down in embarrassment.

"Go to sleep now ok?" Yuki nodded without looking at him. "I think you'll be well enough to go to school again tomorrow. Oh and don't worry about Tsucchi. He was cleared." She finally got the courage to look at him and nod. Ryu smild and gave her a small wave before leaving her room.

"Why did he kiss me again?" Yuki asked herself and touched with her fingers.

 

~Ryu~

 

"Whoever that guy is, I'm not losing to him," Ryu swore from behind the door. "You're stupid and can be loud, just the things I dislike in girls. But..." He walked into his room and closed the door. "I find a strong attraction to you. I'm not like most guys who like to show his emotions, so don't expect me to do it that much." With that, Ryu closed his eyes and went to sleep with a smile on his face.