Distant Star

Dazzling Wish

 

I growled my way down the hallway away from where Kevin and Hyuna were standing. The nerve of that guy calling me clumsy especially in front of Hyuna. And as for Hyuna, UGH! As soon as I was far away, not to be seen by them anymore, I halted and leaned against the wall, trying to regain my cool. Out of all times, you had to show up, Hyuna. I shook my head and let my bangs cover my eyes, staring at the ground. She wasn’t always like this. Well, atleast, that’s what I thought… It’s the same scenarios from before. Déjà vu, I laughed at myself.

10 years ago . . .

 “Hyuna!” I yelled, my hands on my cheeks. I started running towards her, the ribbon in my hair flowing gracefully behind me. I always loved my hair. My hair was pretty long, but I wanted to get it up to my waist. I always felt like a princess this way, at least, that’s what my daddy always said.

A young girl, 10 years old, turned around with a huge smile on her face. She was beautiful, all plain and simple. Her red pink dress long to her knees gave her a cute image. She was sweet and bubbly, she was my best friend. We were inseparable.  

“_____. You’re so loud.” She shushed me cutely. “What is it?”

I reached for my school bag and reached through looking for something specific. As soon as I took it out, I handed it directly to Hyuna. It was a paper that was heart shaped, beautiful beads along the sides to make it shimmer in the sunlight. I knew who made this. It was the boy from my gym class. Although, I never got to know his name. He was always in my gym classes, he was an older kid. He volunteered to help out the teacher for extra credit. When he had all the credit he needed, he just stayed. He helped set everything up from soccer nets to the trampoline.  My cheeks reddened once Hyuna opened the heart shaped paper.

“Is this from the boy that volunteered in your gym classes?” Hyuna squealed.

I nodded quickly and flashed a huge smile. “Isn’t it cute? I found it in my gym bag. I looked at the boy and he blushed, turning away!” I squealed back.

Hyuna smiled and handed back the precious paper. I held it to my heart, the heart that fluttered greatly.

“You should talk to him.” Hyuna instructed. “If you don’t say something, he might think you’re brushing him off.”  

***

“U..Uhm.” I mumbled, knocking on the gym door.

I guess he didn’t hear me because he didn’t turn. I watched the young boy walk back and forth, carrying the boxes of hockey equipment back in the closets. I walked on over to where the boxes were and picked one up. But little did I know that it was so heavy. I dropped the box instantly, the hockey gloves scattered on the floor.

I’m such an idiot. I told myself.

I looked down immediately, picking up the gloves one by one.

“Are you okay?” He asked, his voice that soothed my heart.

“Uhm. Yeah.” I nodded, still picking up the gloves. I looked up to face the boy that I had a huge crush on, his dark hair messy from all the work and his dark eyes that sparkled. “Uhm. I just wanted to say thank you for...for the heart shaped paper.”

He stopped picking up the gloves to stare back at me, his cheeks reddened. He nodded to himself and continued to pick up the gloves.

“Did… Did you like it?” He asked quietly, almost a soft whisper.

I nodded quickly and smiled at him, putting on my best smile. “I really did. It was sweet of you, I...” I cut off halfway when he smiled at me. His smile warmed my heart; I remembered that and always will.

“Do you want to go at the park later?” He asked quietly, picking up the box.

“Park?” I asked him, my eyes widened, palms getting warm. “Yeah, I’d love to.”

He smiled and nodded. “Uh. So, I’ll meet you there at 4pm?” He asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

I nodded and we said our goodbyes.

***

I rushed down the streets of stores, excited to meet him. Oh darn, I should have asked for his name, I thought to myself. I ran quickly, holding his gift in the palm of my hand. The closer I approached Sakura Park, the more I felt myself glow. My heart beating in such a melodic rhythm, a rhythm that fluttered my heart. Soon soon, I told myself as I approached the dark tall gates that led me down the pink bricked path of Sakura Park.

I stood in front of the entrance and inhaled the scent of the blossoms that blew across the park. I opened my palm slowly, looking down onto the gift that I bought him. It was a way to show him that I liked him back. My fingers fiddled with the dark chain that supported the star pendant in the center. Stars. A star to me symbolizes light. Light of hope. Light of love. Any form of light. No matter how dark it is, the light of a star will always shine. And I hope to become that light for someone, I thought to myself, grasping tightly onto the shining pendant. I closed my eyes and breathed in heavily. Here we go…

And that was when I found the true colors of Hyuna. The person that I trusted the most. The person I went to when my face was drenched of tears. The person that stood up for me when I was bullied. The person I loved and cherished. My best friend.

I stared at Hyuna, no. I didn’t even recognize her. Hyuna kissed his cheek. The boy that I specifically told her that I liked. Once Hyuna pulled her face away from him, she wrapped his arms around his waist, pulling their bodies together. I can’t believe it. No, it’s can’t be Hyuna, that isn’t the same person that always stuck by my side. This is a nightmare, I told myself. It can’t be her.

Hyuna let go of his thin waist and turned her head, towards me. forming into a sinister smile. Before I knew it, I was running back home. Away from them. Bunch of traitors, I screamed in my mind. The tears flowed down my cheek, but I kept running. Just kept running, refusing to look back.

I couldn’t remember anything else that day. All I remembered was crying in my Father’s arms.

End of Flashback

I held my chest and just stood there, leaning against the brown wall. I remember learning that that boy moved somewhere else the next day. He left to study abroad, to pursue his studies. As for me and Hyuna, well. We never spoke ever again. We never hang out with each other. As the years went by, the different groups we went to. Our friendship? If it even was a friendship. Was done.

“_____. What happened back there?”

I jumped at Kevin’s voice. I turned my head and stared at a worried Kevin, he was holding some of the other books that I accidently left behind.

“No-Nothing” I smiled. “I just don’t really like that girl. . . So, did you get approved?” I changed the subject quickly.

He nodded and handed me his application form, the word APPROVED written in bold red. I jumped with joy and smiled at him.

“You weirdo.” He smiled.

***

We were on the way home, walking. Then suddenly, Kevin coughed awkwardly.

“She’s pretty pretty.” Kevin said out of the blue.

“Who is?” I asked, watching my step, making sure I wouldn’t unexpectedly fall onto the ice.

“Hyuna.”

With that, I halted immediately and felt my legs give out, making me fall backwards into a bank of snow.

“Oof!”

“Kw-Kwenchana?” Kevin asked, holding out his hand.

“You. You find her PRETTY?” I yelled.” You’re just going to be stuck in her web!”

“What do you mean by that?” Kevin asked, helping me up from the bank of snow. He started patting my back, brushing off the icky snow on my red coat.

“It’s a long story.” I pouted. “Just, be careful. She isn’t as sweet as she seems.”

“Chincha?” Kevin asked, surprised. “Fine. I guess I’ll take your word for it.”

After more blocks of snow, we finally reached our home. Our home, hm.That sounds weird. I laughed to myself. I stared at Kevin and just smiled. At least, he starting to warm up to me, at least he’s trying to make an effort. But he can still be a jerk. I pouted grumpily.

“Huh? What’s with the black car?” I pointed out, staring at the black car parked at our driveway.

Kevin stared at it, and titled his head.

“I don’t know, let’s see and find out.”

We walked cautiously towards the dark car with the tinted windows. We could barely see  what was on the inside. I looked back at Kevin and stared back at the car. I  walked to the opposite side of the car while Kevin stayed on the other.

Kevin shrugged and just stood there.

I held up my fist, planning to knock on the window.

Suddenly, the door opens abruptly, causing me to jump and fall on the side of the driveway. Again.

“KEVIN!” A husky voice yelled in joy.

What. Who’s that?

“Wh-What are you doing here? How’d you get here so fast? But how…? “

“I got my sources, and well, I have my ways. I came here to take you back!”

Take you back? No! Kevin can’t go back, he’ll disappear. I got up immediately and walked in between the two young men.

“I don’t think so!” I crossed my arms and frozed at the sight of the man. My jaw dropped and I kept that expression for a good while. “You-You’re E-E-E.”

I felt Kevin’s hand go to my face, pushing me to go by his side. Owwie. I rubbed onto my forehead and glared at Kevin.

“Sorry, Eli. This is ____. The weirdo.” He glared at me.

I take back what I said about Kevin warming up to me. He’s still cold as ice. Jerk. I kept glaring at Kevin but I smiled radiantly back at Eli, who seemed confused.

“Did she like kidnap you?” Eli asked, confused.

“What?” I stared at Kevin and back at Eli.

“Yeah, you can say that.” Kevin retorted.

I glared at Kevin again, this time stomping on his foot. I smirked at him and crossed my arms, ignoring Kevin’s icy glare and his pained expression.

“Anyways, I have a cab and a plane ticket. Let’s go back to Korea.” Eli smiled.

I stared at Kevin with the corner of my eye. He can’t go. Kevin sighed sadly and shook his head.

“I can’t. I’m sorry that you came all the way here to get me.” Kevin apologized.

“Why not?” Eli asked, concerned. “Are you like her hostage?”

“Why do you keep thinking I kidnapped him?” I snapped, and I poked his shoulder hard, pushing him back slightly.

“Because. Why would he stay here for someone like you?” Eli snapped back.

Angry, I grabbed his collar and pulled him down to my height. And I’m quite short for my age. I stared deeply into his eyes, glaring.

“You little punk. Don’t you dare judge me by my appeareance, you j---“ Then something caught my eye. I stared at his slender neck, there was a dark onyx chain with a star pendant. I let go of his collar, setting him free from my grasp. I placed my hand on my chest. Why is my heart beating quickly? I stared at Eli, who was fixing his clothes.

“What’s your problem?” Kevin grabbed my wrist, pulling me to face him.

“His necklace.” I said quietly, feeling dizzy.

“Pardon?” Eli asked, placing his hand on the star pendant.

“No-Nothing.” I shook my head and pulled my wrist from Kevin’s grasp.

As I stayed silent, we all sat down together on the front porch and Kevin explained about his application to my school, not mentioning a word about the star. I found myself staring at Eli the whole time and my eyes flickered down to the chain.

Stars.  A star to me symbolizes light.

I stared at Eli’s face as he smiled. That’s his smile. Is it really him?

Light of hope. Light of love. Any form of light.

Same dark eyes. Same messy hair.

No matter how dark it is, the light of a star will always shine.

His bashful expression. The same scar on his arm. The one from 10 years ago.

And I hope to become that light for someone.

I finally found out his name.

Elison Kim.

Kim Kyoungjae.

The boy from 10 years ago.

That one distant star of mine.