Whirlwind

Dazzling Wish

 

Days has passed. I stared at the window as the spring rain fell dramatically. Sigh. I haven't seen or heard of Kevin in such a long while, nor have I seen Eli. He must have gone back to Korea. But...

"The only way for him to not disappear is to kiss him on the lips. Once he disappears, he'd be forgotten. Erased from everyone's memory."

I kissed him yesterday, there was an orb that shattered over his head, meaning that the wish was fulfilled. He wasn’t supposed to disappear. But he was still fading under my hands, why? Why is it so unfair? I don’t understand all this Starlite crap! I shook my head crazily and once I ran out of breath, I rested my head against my bedroom wall. If I never wished, Kevin would have lived a perfectly well life.

And..if what Ren said was true... that I would forget him if he disappeared… then why is it I can still remember him.. well, faintly and why did he disappear? I shook my head and held onto my knees.  I always try to ask Ren about that but every time I even mentioned Kevin’s name, he’d shudder and shut me out. One thing I could say was; I was never the same. Every night, Ren would come to visit through my window, he always found me crying. 

Knock. Knock. 

Like every night, I went to go open the window. 

"Hey.." I smiled sadly, letting Ren enter the window. "Why go through the window when you could just poof here?" 

He smiled and laughed; "Seemed more normal. Trying to be normal like a human."

"You call going through windows normal?" I growled playfully, trying to forget about Kevin for a while. But as always, he was always there on my mind. 

"How are you doing?" Ren sat beside me, his arm placed over my shoulders. 

"The same." I held onto my chest where that hollow feeling originated. "Cheated on. Hurt. Lost.... broken." My hands held the star pendant that Kevin has given. My star, I mouthed, trying to stop the tears. I knew it always hurt Ren whenever I cried. He felt guilty, I didn't want him to be burdened with the pain. 

I rested my head on Ren's shoulder and sighed. 

"Ren. I'm sorry for yelling at you. I'm sorry you had to experience this." I apologized for the first time in a long time. He smiled sadly and squeezed me tightly. 

"No need, my close friend. No need.." I smiled and just let myself doze off. As always. 

[ Ren's POV ] 

Soft snoring filled her cold bedroom. I would always visit her to keep an eye on her, just to make sure. Her head still against my shoulder, I felt her long hair tickle my arm. Like always, I lifted her slowly and laid her down to sleep. 

Tucking her in, I whispered like always, every night. 

"You've come too far to quit now." I murmured, don't give up on him. Keep smiling. I smiled and stayed silent. And like every night since the tragic event, I cried myself to sleep. Guilt. Guilt. Guilt. 

"I am so sorry for this pain. It will soon end, _____. You'll see."

***

[ Your POV ] 

"Ren... I don't want to go out." I whined, trying to pull away from their grasp. Ren and Aron both had a hold of my hands, dragging me outside. 

"It's about time you got out of your cold room!" Aron growled, pulling rougher. "Why did you bring me here, Ren?"

"It was for sure that I wouldn't be able to pull her away! Look, we're already having trouble, just us two."

"I did go out! Let go!" I pouted, still resisting. But it was obviously no use. 

"When?" Ren growled. 

"Yesterday." I stated, nodding my head. Ren raised an eyebrow, waiting for more evidence. Doing what? I knew that was what he was waiting for. "Putting out the garbage and school. Duh." They both rolled their eyes and proceeded with the pulling and fighting. 

***

"What. Are. We. Doing. Here?" I growled grumpily, crossing my arms. I stared at the large skating rink and couples holding hands. I rolled my eyes and pouted. 

"Fun. We're going to have fun! Between close friends. " Ren nodded. 

I growled and stared at the sign. "Ahem." I pointed at the sign to be read: "Couples Snowflake Rink" Ren formed an "o" with his mouth and scratched his head. 

"Well. That's just awkward." He backed away jokingly with an innocent smile and let out a small chuckle. 

"Haha." I laughed along with him. "You know.. you don't have to do this to make me feel better, I mean.."
Ren shook his head and smiled proudly; "I just want to go out as friends.. I want you to just be happy and smile for a while." 

I smiled and held his arm. "They won't know~" I pointed at the skating rink. 

He laughed and we both took our first steps on the cold ice surface. Both of us rookies at skating. This is going to be fun. It's been a while since I've gone out. So, it was nice. Thank you, Ren. 

***

"Waaaw!" I admired the fireworks in the dark sky. Green, Red, Cyan, Magenta... All the colors you could ever think of! Small, Big, every size. 
"Psh! I shine so much more than those things!" Ren retorted, pulling me away from the view. 

"At least,let's stay a bit more." I begged, admiring, adoring the fireworks. Ren moved his head back, shifting his blond bangs away from his face. He squeezed my arm and growled impatiently. "Fine. Fine."

“You call that a shining beauty?" Ren smirked.

"Huh?" 

"Close your eyes. We're up for a bumpy ride." Ren smirked and winked. 

"What!?"

[ Aron's POV ] 

Dammit. I tried moving a bit but I felt my arm start to ache. Damn. Still sore from the fight with that demon. Damn that Erian. Why did we have to go through so much for some girl..? 

"Because. We're Starlites. We still are human in our own way. We're Ren's friends. Friends of Ren are our friends. It's our du--" Baekho explained. 

"To cause someone to almost die and disappear from the depths of this world?" I snarled, slamming my hand on the table. Which was obviously a bad idea. Ow.. Sigh. 

Baekho chuckled as he rolled his eyes. "Well... Love is when you sacrifice. I'm sure you've experienced that before." 

"And that will never happen again." I snarled, walking out if the room. "You know, this isn't the best times to bring out my past, alright. And also trying to mention her. I got it. I killed her, happy?" Baekho, about to clear up the misunderstanding, approached me slowly before I could leave. 

"Don't bother. " I opened the door. "OH GOD!" I fell backwards and stared at the two familiar faces. 

[ Your POV ] 

"Sorry, Aron." I apologize as I watched Aron try to get up. I went to lift him up but he roughly shoved away. "Oh.." 

Aron looked back and smiled sadly: "Sorry. I woke up at the wrong side of the bed. " Aron walked away and closed the door behind him. 

"What's up with him?" I asked, puzzled. 

"It's Aron." Ren replied, chuckling.

"What .. What is she doing here?" Baekho asked, looking at me from head to toe. 

I held onto Ren for balance, that was a rough ride. I closed my eyes to sync out the dizziness. So.. This is it. 

"I see. Welcome to the Starleax, the home of the Starlite community." Baekho smiled, bright and wide was his smile indeed. "Just wanted to ask.. Why are you here?" 

"She was admiring the fireworks. She was saying how bright and brilliant they were." Ren scoffed. Baekho laughed and chuckled; I see, he said. 

I scanned the room, rooms were as white as clouds. It was night time, the stars shone as bright as diamonds and jewels. Surrounded by clouds, you couldn't possibly see this heaven above our heads. Everything, white, everything glass. Glass stairs kept going and going to I don't know where. It was beautiful. 

"Show her it then." Baekho smiled. "Show her around. Show her what the meaning of shining beauty truly is." 

"Why do you think I'm here?" Ren nagged. "Let's go~"

"B-But. Yah. Ren!" I followed him up the glass stairs. I decided to take one more look at Baekho but he was no longer there. There was only clouds. As if, one single step, transported us somewhere else. 

"Yah! Come on. If you stay any longer on those stairs, you'll get lost!" He growled. He held out a hand. I ran to him quickly and turned back. Like that, the stairs just vanished. 

"Woah. What the.." I stared at the place where the stairs were once there. 

"Come on, come on. We don't have all day now~" Ren smiled. 

I grabbed his hand as we walked down a bright hallway. Usually, you would be scared in a dark hallway. 
But, in this weird circonstances, you were a teensy bit terrified. He was right, Starleax is the true meaning of a shining beauty. Lights—No, Stars were everywhere. Different colors, from red to cyan. It was absolutely flattering. As we walked through the hallways,  if you looked up up to the ceiling, you would see right through it. The beautiful night sky, millions of galaxies flowing through the sky, brighter than Aurora borealis. Absolutely dazzling. Other Starlites passed us by, they were also as bright as the stars. I was just as amazed as the first time I met Ren.

"In here." Ren smiled. 

I walked in a bright room, all white. No furniture, whatsoever. All there was, was a circular platform in the middle of the room. Ren stood on the circular platform and held out his hand as an invite. 

"I...." I hesitated.

"Don't worry. I'm your host." Ren winked. "They wanted to meet you." 

"They?" I asked, as I held onto his warm hand. He smiled and squeezed my hand. 

"I'm your friend... right?" Ren asked, staring back at me questioningly. 

"My closest friend. You've granted my wish. And gave me wonders of inspiration." I smiled. 

He nodded. As he nodded, the ring around the platform started to levitate, releasing thousands of colors. The room went dark, a scream launched out of my throat.

"Shh. It's alright." Ren soothe. 

[ Author's POV ] 

Lights from different directions reflected from each side of the room. Thousands of colors flew around the both of them, immersing them in harmless flames, stars. Ren has seen this so many times but it has never failed to amaze him. The northern lights flew around them.

"We're almost there!" 

In a flash, they were transported into a room. A large room, to be exact. As big as a football field. The walls were painted of a light cream color. Down the large room, were 12 thrones, on each throne, was a being sitting there. Hooded white garments, golden rims. Almost angelic, _____ thought to herself. Once the two made their way to their sight, a loud voice boomed and echoed throughout the room:

"Is this the girl, Minki?" The tenth has spoken, gripping onto his pendant. 

"Yes, hyung." Ren bowed and kneeled on one knee. "This is indeed the lady you have summoned, master. ______ Kim, my client and… my close friend." 

[ Your POV ]

You stared at each throne. Under each throne was a certain symbol. Seemed perfectly engraved, some of them you couldn't tell what they were. You only could tell a few of them such as; the snowflake, the scorpion and the unicorn. 

12 beings. 12 symbols. 

"_______." You quickly gazed at the Snowflake holder, who has called you to his throne. "Come here. "

Without hesitation, you walked slowly towards his throne. The more you walked, the more you felt cold. In fact, you were freezing. At a closer view, you noticed his throne was made of pure cold ice. 

"You have been a burden to this society." I looked down in shame and kept listening to his cold words. "But, you have also become an inspiration to all. You have chased away Erian and in fact, sealed him. I am greatly amazed. But my condolences, for your lost.”

I shot a surprised glance at the mysterious tenth hooded, and kindly asked; 

"Sir.. I am so sorry to ask but.. why has Erian been banished?" 

He lifted his hood that caused Ren to gasp.

"Master! Your.. your identity."

"Silence! This girl is to be trusted. Indeed, trusted indeed. She is your friend, isn’t she? You may call me Minseok. " His smile lit up his cold expressions. I smiled back and silently stepped back as he gestured for me to walk away. 

"Erian was banished for such a foolish heart. He has broken every possible rule in our scriptures. He has killed and deceived. Causing you to lose the one you loved the most." The 2nd hooded has spoken. I stared at his symbol; Scorpion. Lightning clothed his hands, his voice as powerful as thunder yet… soothing.

"You have a golden heart." I turned back and faced a young male, with beautiful light hair. I bowed but he held out his hand instead. "No need to bow. Now, follow me. Minki-ah, you may go back to your premisses. I will call you back when Miss _____ is done. And?" He held out his hand and waited. 

I held his hand as we walked over to the last throne. 

"Wu Fan." The sweet one called. "I will need your help. Of course, you understand the circumstances." 

This "Wu Fan" lifted his hoodie and jumped off gracefully off his throne, as if he flew. But it must be my imagination. "We will need Kai then." 

"Where is he anyways?" The sweet one growled, biting his lip in frustration.

"Here!" He poofed in the middle of us three, causing shock and some laughter in the room. 

"Will you please stop teleporting!?" The sweet one snapped, I was surprised by his rough voice from such a soft baby face. 

"Sorry, Luhannie~" Kai chuckled, scratching the back of his head."

"Stop calling me that." The sweet one, who I assume is “Luhannie”, snarled.

"Both of you!" A booming voice from the man one the 5th throne. "Get going!" 

The three nodded and off we went, to God-Only-Knows-Where. Two large golden doors appeared. With both of his hands, Luhan moved the doors. Did I mention that he didn't touch the doors? Woah, right?

***

 

"Here we are." Luhan smiled brightly, moving his head from side to side cutely. What a kid, I smiled to myself.

I stared at the long white hallway, at the end of it was a huge hole. Before I could take a step, Luhan grabbed my shoulder. He shook his index finger and mouthed: "Nah-uh~" With the force of his palm, he levitated a small rock, and forced it across the room. There, the ceiling broke off into spikes, crushing the pebble into millions of particles. 

My jaw dropped.

"It's like an alarm system in your world." Luhan smiled.

"A-alarm system. More like a trap of DEATH." I unexpectedly yelled. They all laughed. 

"I'm done. " Luhan smiled. He grabbed my shoulders and gave me a sudden hug. "Thank you. I'm sure this isn't the last time we are going to meet. Thank you again. For bringing down the notorious criminal. Erian. He has killed many." He shook his head sadly. I wonder if he knew any of Erian’s victims..

"My turn." Wu Fan smiled mischievously. "Don't scream." 

"What?" I asked. Before I knew it, he threw me over his shoulders. Blazing red wings morphed on his back. I was terrified. "Le-Let go!" I tried squirming but his grip around my waist become tighter. He took three fast slides and jumped off the edge, down the hole at the end of the hall. Obviously, I had to scream. Screaming at the top of my lungs, Wu Fan patted your legs, attempting to soothe you. 

"It's okay now. We're flying." I looked and stared down. All there was white fog. Down a few more meters, was another platform with a strange purple door. He dropped me on the ground, earning a good glare from me, he chuckled lightly. Owwie, I rubbed my lower back and got up without any help from him. Okay, thanks! We stayed quiet as I tried to catch my breath from the terrifying trip. "What now? Do we go through?" I pointed at the purple hazy door. 

Wu Fan shook his head and explained; "Only Kai could enter. Where is that jerk anyways?"

"Right here!" Kai yelled at Wu Fan's ear as he teleported out of nowhere once again. Wu Fan, shocked, fell backwards into the never-ending white fog. 

"NO!" I yelled. 

"Psh. Amateur." Kai smirked and held three fingers up. " 3, 2, 1..."

"You . STOP TELEPORTING OUT OF NOWHERE!" Wu Fan, flying over the platform with his blazing wings. His eyes glowed in anger. Kai nodded and waved playfully; "Bye Bye. It's my turn." Kai snapped his fingers and in an instant, Wu Fan was nowhere to be found. Teleported? I tilted my head in confusion. Grabbing you princess style, he bit his lip once. “Let. Go. OF ME. Stubborn, you pulled away and got onto your feet. You found yourself inside the purple hazy room in an instant. 

"Woah." Was all you could say. Amazing, Starlites are amazing. "How long have you practiced this-"

"Ug. 1057 years." Kai smiled, your jaw obviously dropped. Even though, this wasn’t new to you since Ren revealed his surprising age also. It never got old.

"What? You don't look that old! .. At all." 

"Really? Thank god!" Kai smiled. “Baekhyun kept teasing me how I was getting wrinkles and Chanyeol kept telling me I looked tired all the time.” I shot him a You’ve-Got-To-Be-Kidding-Me look. He stared back at me confused and just smiled. I rolled my eyes and patted his shoulder and sighed. I looked at where we were. We were on a rectangular platform. Surrounded by ice cold water, the platforms were distanced from each other by probably 10 meters. If you jumped in the water, you'd most likely freeze. I squinted my eyes and I could have sworn, if I'm right, there's a door across the long room. 

"Let's go!" Kai then teleported you over on each platform until we reached the large black door. The teleporting made you feel sick. You know the feeling of being car-sick? Well, that feeling. But worst. Teleportation-sick. Ugh.. You thought. 

"Anyways. " Kai let you down and smiled. "Go on ahead, little lady." 
I stared at the black door and looked back at him. He nodded and pushed me lightly. "Go on!" 
I placed my palms on the black door that was extremely warm and pushed it open. It was hard to, it was 4 times taller than you and most probably 5 times heavier. Once opened a rush of light and warm breeze flew towards you, the scent of coffee and all things wonderful. 

The door slammed behind you leaving you and the large room to yourself. In the middle of the room was a dome 2 times taller than you. There was a bright light inside, beside you, you stared at the golden button that was as big as an orange. 

Why the heck did Ren bring me here again? You asked yourself. You shrugged, and observed the white dome in front of you, walking around it in circles. 

"Hm. They sent me here for a reason." You told yourself. Your petite hand made its way to the orange button. You tried pushing it with the flick of your finger but you underestimated its strength. In conclusion, you had to push the button with both hands. The button started to glow, in fact, the whole room start to shift, fog blew up from everywhere blinding you. In the midst of the fog, you heard a rushing sound of air escaping; you followed the air flow and stared at the dome.

Slowly, taking small slide steps, you walked closer to the glass dome. Your jaw dropped and your heart started to beat in a tremendous rate. Golden hair as bright as stars. Skin as fair as it could be. Long dark lashes. The white garments caressed its perfect figure.

“Kevin.” You whispered, you couldn’t speak any longer. Was this a dream, you asked yourself. You felt the cool glass surface of the dome, he was sleeping. Or at-least, you hoped he was. “Kevin.” You called out a bit louder. Startling beeping went off beside him, your eyes flickered to the huge screen that immerged from the desk. The large screen had Kevin’s picture on it on the side it said:

Status: REGENERATE/HIBERNATE

Percentage: 78%

“What?” I stared at the trapped Kevin who was in “REGENERATE/HIBERNATE”. My eyes kept flickering back towards the screen and back to Kevin as the percentage kept rising. I don’t understand. I thought he was gone. He disappeared right before my own eyes. No wonder, he wasn’t erased from any of my memories, he was here. All along. Ren… I clenched my fists and ran down the large room, surprisingly I didn’t have to go through the halls filled with traps. It led me right to the Throne room. All 12 were in a circle, talking.

“What the hell are you doing to Kevin?” I raged towards them, clenched fists and gritted teeth. Luhan, walked over and held my shoulders, he smoothly explained: “He’s being regenerated right now. We are experimenting if he could sustain the true form of a Starlite.”

“Pardon?” I yelled. “What is he? Some guinea pig? Are all humans to you experiments? Is that what we are to you? You’re just as bad as Erian!” Ren, eavesdropping this whole moment, ran towards me, holding me back as some of the hooded figures started to pulse with a powerful aura, stronger than Erian. “…I could sense your aura. If you guys are stronger than Erian, why didn’t you guys do it yourself, you pieces of—“

“_____! Restrain yourself!” The scorpion pendant holder yelled, lightning and thunder rippled through the room as his anger risen. “You deserve to be punished for disgracing the Elders of the Starlites.”  Ren fell to his knees and bowed, pleading: “No, Master. Please. She’s just being careless with words—“

“Careless!?” I interrupted. Ren shot a death glare, his eyes also pulsed with anger; “Shut up, ____! I’m trying to save your right now. You’ve got it all wrong!” He looked back towards the hooded man and pleaded once more: “Chen hyung, please. Spare her. She wasn’t thinking. She is very sensitive in this matter. Please. The dark clouds and thunder disappeared as “Chen” walked back to his throne. The other 11 all pulled off their hoods and stared at Ren and I, each of them, uncomfortable with the situation. Luhan, the one I’ve grew fond of the most, approached us slowly. “_____.” He reached for my hand but I pulled away roughly. Ren, wide eyed, bowed once again for Luhan’s sake who was greatly disappointed: “You’ve got the whole situation wrong…”

“We should just get rid of her here!” One of them yelled, fire within his palms formed, a phoenix by his shoulder. The one of fire lifted fire with the palm of his hand and planned to throw it my way, before making the first move, he was drenched with water. His hair twisted in a funny way as one man controlled the water

“Stop boiling over things so easily, Chanyeol.” He looked towards me and nodded. I’m guessing he could control water. He smiled and laughed as “Chanyeol” mutter something under his breath.

“I’m so sorry, Suho hyung.” Ren bowed once more. Suho lifted his hand and gestured us to follow him. Once the others were out of our sight, Suho turned towards us and sighed; “______, please stay calm. We have some men in our group that have quite a bad temper. You have misunderstood our plan. Yes, I will not lie to you, this is indeed an experiment but for the good, not for the bad.” Hurt, I could barely look at Suho, what are they doing to him.

“Fine.” I muttered. “But I want to know exactly what you’re doing to him. Right now.” I ordered him. Ren grabbed my arm and gave a pleading expression. I know I was crossing the line, but this is what I would do to find out if Kevin is getting hurt or not. Suho agreed: “Okay, let us go to Kevin, I shall explain everything there, Miss Kim.” “Sit, sit.” He offered a chair.

I stared at Kevin who was bottled up in that dome. Wires, weird wires stuck into his arm. What was around him? Water? Air? Was he even breathing? I couldn’t look at him. I didn’t understand what they were doing.

“______ Kim.” I looked up at Suho and stared at him, expressionlessly. “Kevin Woo. Like Ren has explained; if you didn’t fulfill the wish, if you haven’t kissed his neck at least once in a extent of 24 hours, he’d disappear. Erased from everyone’s memory. Then. Few weeks has passed, and there was another complication. You had to kiss him upon his lips to truly confirm that the wish was a success. What is love without a kiss?” I felt my heart was about to burst as he explained every thoroughly with details. “I understand you’re also angry that Ren never told you about this. In fact, Ren insisted Kevin to let you know but Kevin didn’t want you to since at that time, you were dating Eli and he knew about the immense pain he has caused you. Hyuna, Rejection, Arrogance.”

Ren stared towards the ground and sighed; “_____. I tried. I’m so sorry. I wanted to tell yo—“

“Please. Just don’t. You knew about the kiss. And you knew about what they were doing to Kevin. You knew he was alive. And you didn’t tell me. You watched me cry all those countless nights, and you based everything on a lie. You call yourself my close friend?” I glared at him, Ren looked back, shock, hurt, mixed feelings. “You will never be normal like a human being. If you were my close friend, you wouldn’t lie to me. Especially, when.. when I felt like crap.”

Ren looked down and I couldn’t read his feelings. I could have sworn he has become less bright. As if, I’ve weakened him greatly just by words.

“Minki-ah. Raise your head. It is not you at fault. We are. Please understand.”

“Cut the crap. Tell me what the hell is happening to Kevin right now.” I growled, pointing at the bottle that trapped his perfect body.

Suho sighed.

“As you can see on the status, it is written, regenerate/hibernate. The percentage is how much he has recovered from the toxic that Erian has implanted in is body. The wish was fulfilled, you kissed him that day. Once the two months passed, he didn’t risk the chance of disappear anymore, because you both are indeed in love. But.. because of the poison implanted in him, the poison reversed it. We are right now regenerating his body, destroying every poisonous cell in his system.”

“You’re healing him.” I mumbled softly, guilty of the amount of reckless bad-mouthing that I’ve done.

“Thanks to Lay.” Suho commented, smiling. “He is in charge of all the healing in this community. He is the head healer of the society and the top of the top. He could heal any being. But one thing, he can’t bring back, that isn’t in his control is… memory.”

My head shot up and I asked: “Memory? Are.. are you telling me that he…” I stared back at my guardian angel in the dome. “Lost his memory?”

Suho nodded slowly as Ren covered his face in frustration; “You said he’ll be totally fine! You promised!” Ren grabbed Suho’s collar, then his hands fell lifelessly to his side. “I’m sorry, hyung.. I’m sorry. I don’t understand what came over me.”

Suho nodded in forgiveness. “As you can see also, the only way to fully destroy the cancerous cells in his system, we had to transfigure him. He is no longer human, but a Starlite. He could camouflage into a human like we all can, but he is different. Stronger. Don’t worry, he’s quite different. He could age normally like humans. He just.. is adaptable to Asterisk energy which is the magic we use. He’s extraordinary.”

“Meaning my own very star.” I stared at Suho as he nodded. “But.. his memory. He.. doesn’t remember me?”

“He only remembers what happened before the wish was made. Whatever happens after the wish is a bit vague. I’m sure he remembers you a bit. It may take time, give him a few days.”

“Can I bring him home?”  I asked Suho, almost begged. “Please.”

“You may. He has completely regenerated. 100%”

Suho got out of his chair, and inserted a black card inside the slit of the machine. Slowly, the dome opened quietly. All wires detached from his arms, leaving his body ready to free fall. I ran to him and catched him before he hit the floor. “Kevin!” I begged for him to wake up. His body was so warm. His blond hair lost its light, back to normal. His human form, I assumed.

“He is now a starlite. It’s your duty to explain to him what happened once he remembers everything. Retell the story of his heroism and your love story.” Suho smiled. I smiled back and Ren came to help Kevin up.

“Kevin..” I held his arm over my shoulders. “Let’s go home.” I nodded at Suho and the other 11. Before I left, I apologized to them all of them personally: “This won’t be the last time we’ll meet.” Chanyeol muttered. “He is a new Starlite. I’m in charge of training them. I will be seeing him once he has fully awaken his potential.” I nodded and smiled at Ren.

“Let’s go home.” Ren smiled.

***

“He’s awake!” I held the wet rag against his forehead as his eyelashes fluttered open slowly by slowly. His beautiful irises went to my direction as he scanned the room carefully. “Kevin..” I said his name softly, his hair.

“W..What happened?” Kevin looked at me confusingly; his hand travelled to my hand and held it tightly, moving it away. That hurt.

“You got into a bit of an accident. I’ll explain everything.. tomorrow. Just sleep.” I tucked him in and his bangs away from his face. “Goodnight.” He really doesn’t remember what happened. I got up slowly, and walked up to the light switch. The lights went off in his room, before closing the door;

“Don’t quit on us now, we’ve come too far.” He whispered. I turned around and watched Kevin suddenly glow radiantly, shocked, he stared at his hands as if they were aliens. Without knowing, tears started to form. “Kevin.” I approached him in the darkness of the room and sat on his bed. “Do you remember anything…?”

“All I remember is.. is..” I felt him hesitate. “I remember trying to look for you when Erian kidnapped you.” He remembers! “At the banquet, the wedding.” I felt his hand grab my wrist. “Are you hurt?” I’ve gotten my hopes up a bit too high, you’re so foolish, ____. Luckily, it was pitch black in his room, the tears fell silently.

“No. I’m fine.” My voice cracked.

“_____.”

“Yes, my star?” I asked, wiping my tears quickly, clearing my throat.

“Be good to Eli.” My heart dropped. “He’s a good man. He loves you and I see it. Don’t let him down. You’ve come too far to quit on him now.” Those were my words. My very words I’ve told him right after he got wounded.

“Yeah. We’ve come too far to quit.” I whispered to him.

“Goodnight, ______. “ Kevin softly chimed despite the immense headache and confused memories scrambled in his mind.

I got up once again and stopped halfway;

“Kevin.”

“Yeah?”

“Please rest well. And take it easy. Don’t get yourself hurt. Don’t be stupid and run after me whenever I’m in trouble. Don’t be stupid and protect someone like me. You stupid idiot. It’s not your job.” I lied. I just didn’t want him to worry about me anymore. Maybe.. Maybe it was best for him to not remember.  We’ll just remain as close friends. The pitch black room masked my very emotions, my expressions. I could freely cry without him having to watch.

“I know.”

“Then why still do it? Why risk your life for... for your best friend’s girl?” I’m not Eli’s girl. I’m yours. But… wouldn’t it be better to not have to worry anymore? To not risk your life?

“You said it all. You’re my best friend’s girl. I don’t want him to stick with the burden of losing you.”

“I see. Goodnight.” I’ve lost you so many times. There was no way I would ever win. But that’s probably the best thing. I’ve blamed you for my pain. But, boy, was I a hypocrite. I’ve pained you so much. Probably, so much more. Let’s just be friends. Let’s just stay this way. I took a few more steps until he called my name again.

“Yah, babo-yah. You want me to disappear?” Shock filled my mind when he mentioned that, I gulped. “Come here. Kiss my neck, what if I disappeared, hm? If I disappear, it’s all your fault. You .” He growled tiredly. My fault.

I walked back to him and sat on the bed, right in front of him. His bandaged hands wrapped around my waist pulling me closer to his warm chest. I wanted to stay like this. But isn’t it better to be with someone who wouldn’t cause you such immense pain? His warm breath tickle my jaw while my hands stayed planted on his chest. I’m so sorry. Why does it seem better if you just completely forgotten about me? I’ve lost you. What happens if I lost you again? My heart won’t be able handle it. His hands carelessly travelled to my back, then to my shoulders as he pulled me in closer, no distance between us. I love you. My lips slowly reached his neck as I kissed the same spot where the tattoo used to be. The tattoo that disappeared. I no longer needed to kiss him since the wish has been far completed. I wanted to tell you everything. But would you be mad? As I contacted his perfect fair skin, I retreated my head away from his neck but stayed in his arm. Tears fell, on his bandaged hands.

“Why are you crying?” Kevin asked softly, his thumb over my cheek. I wanted to tell you that I needed you in my life. But I needed you to stay safe for me. I didn’t want to feel the same pain like before.

“I’m just a bit overwhelmed. That’s all.” I pushed his hand away and wiped my tears with my hoodie sleeve. Our bodies still connected. I wiped the tears once more, since it couldn’t stop running down my now soaked cheek.

“Overwhelmed? You keep on crying. Why is my neck that desirable?” I felt the smirk form onto his face. I chuckled and shook my head. I just need you but I can’t have you. I know this may seem stupid.. but I honestly don’t know how I feel right now. Forgive me. “It’s not? Okay, thanks a lot.” I laughed and stared at him. Even though it was dark, I could feel him staring at me and only stare at me. His hands my back, almost earnestly as if… he didn’t want me to leave. I couldn’t leave. But I knew I had to.

“Kevin. Please let go.” I faked. His hand gripped tighter and pulled me in once again into a rough hug. Rough yet soothing. “Kevin..”

“Why does it feel like I lost you? As if.. I don’t understand it. Did something happen between us that I don’t remember?” I felt him stare directly into my eyes. Yes. Something has happened.

“No. Nothing.” I lied.

“Ah. It’s probably just the cold has gotten to my head.. Haha. Sorry, my memory is still really foggy..” His arms fell rather lifelessly on each side of my waist. As if he had no reason to hold me any longer. I didn’t want to be the reason he’d risk his life. I can’t see him lose his life. I wouldn’t know what to do..

“That’s why you should rest and I shall leave so then you’d sleep better!” His hand travelled to my neck, fiddling the chain with the star pendant.

“Star. Stars are absolutely dazzling, aren’t they?” He commented, holding on the pendant. I nodded and felt him approach me closer onto the edge of the bed. His head approached the nook of my neck. My breathing started to quiver the nearer he got. Don’t get close to me. Please. His soft lips planted its mark on the right side of my neck, leaving his lips there he grabbed me once more, my arms stuck to my sides. Soft kisses trailed up to my neck to my jaw.

“Kevin..” I whined, trying to catch his attention. Please don’t.

Ignoring my whining, he kept landing soft kisses on my jaw to my cheek then... he faced me directly and paused. I felt his breathing quiver just like my own breathing. I love you. I wanted to tell you. His hand cupped my cheek and lured me for a kiss. Inches away from contact, he froze, in fact, we both frozed as few seconds passed. 5 seconds tops. I wanted to go for it. But. You must understand how I feel. Don’t you? Isn’t this just like what Kevin has done? Ignoring his own happiness, to preserve anothers?

“I’m sorry, I.. don’t understand what came over me.” Kevin whispered, still a few inches away from each other’s lips.

“Me neither.” I said quietly, sadly, actually. Letting go of his arms, a sudden cool breeze came over me. “This is goodnight. For real, now.”

“Yeah. Goodnight, ____. I.. Goodnight.” He said quietly. “I promise.”

“Promise what?” I asked, standing by the door’s exit.

“To remember everything that has happened between us.”

Without saying anything or looking back, I closed the door behind me, looking up at the ceiling. Running quietly to the bathroom, I locked myself in and the shower. I sat down on the tiled flooring and cried. The shower muffled my sobs.

I don’t know.                                      

Half of me wants you to remember what has happened.

The other doesn’t want you to.

What would you choose?