Christmas

Dazzling Wish

 

I stretched my whole body as the warm sun leak through the white blinds. Another beautiful day, I thought to myself. I pulled the blanket over my head and stared into the darkness. That was a dramatic trip... So many things happened. I jumped off the bed and went straight to the bathroom, I closed the door behind me and stared at myself at the mirror. I placed my fingers to the edge of the bandage on my right cheek and pulled it off slowly, avoiding any essence of pain. I winced as the skin felt like it ripped. Owwie, I whined, hand on the faded scar. Wait a minute. Speed of light, I ran down the stairs and looked at the christmas tree. It's Christmas! I jumped with joy and ran back to my room. 

"Okay.. Where are my parents' gifts?" I asked myself as my hands scattered through the messy closet. My eyes sparkled as I took out two medium sized boxes. Both were beautifully wrapped, golden ribbon elegantly flowed down the edge of the box. My finger tips traced the ribbon, bringing a satisfied smile onto my face. I hope they like it. I got up to place them on the bed but a sudden thump sound echoed in my bedroom. My eyes flickered back to the floor of my closet; a small box, with a pink ribbon arranged as a flower. I slowly lifted the box and opened it. 

"Hah..." I smiled at the red key chain, with the star pendant, weakly. I bought this for Kevin. I brought the phone chain to my face as I examined the silver star. 

"______."

I shoved the gift back in the box and covered it with the blanket. I stared at Kevin who was leaning against the doorway, crossed arms, messy hair. 

"Y-yeah?" I asked, stuttering. 

"Eli is downstairs, he's waiting at the living room. You better go before your dad kills him. " Like that, he ruffled his hair sleepily and left. A soft click of his door hurt my heart for some reason. I sighed heavily and got dressed quickly. I wore black skinnies, white V-neck. I tied the ribbon that Eli bought me the time I told him who I was. 

"Okay.. Here it goes. " I sighed heavily. 

I walked out of my bedroom and gripped tightly on the small box, but not enough to break it. I knocked on Kevin's door and poked my head through the opening. His dark orbs stared at me, the intruder of his privacy. He was sitting on his bed, correcting his students' exams. He lowered his pen and got up;

"What's up?" Kevin asked, a tone I couldn't describe. 

"I... well. " My hands fiddled the little box. 

Kevin stared at the small box that I had in between the palms of my hand. I approached him and extended my arms, handing him the gift. 

"Merry Christmas!" I smiled joyfully with a hint of obvious awkwardness. " Just because we have our differences.. doesn't mean we can't be friends.. right?" I paused and stared at Kevin who held the box on the palm of his hand. 

He smiled softly and took out the phone chain. His eyes widened as he examined the star pendant. 

I tapped my foot against the solid wooden floors. I hope he likes it, I bit my lips and stared at him, attaching the phone chain onto his phone. He lifted his phone up for me to see the stat dangle in the air. He looked up and smiled;

"A star, huh?" 

I nodded and rubbed the back of my neck. 

"I thought you know... The wishing star, although.. It's more of a burden.. Shoot. I should have gotten another pendant. " I pouted, kicking the floor lightly. I stared at the clock and totally forgotten about Eli downstairs. "Anyways! I better head down." I smiled and waved, running out the door. 

[ Kevin's POV ]

I stared at the phone chain and its red ribbon and its dangling star. I sighed heavily and tossed my phone lightly on the bed. 

I stared at the velvet rectangular box. I should have given it to her right away. I sighed heavily and went back to correcting the exams. I guess this is going to be one Christmas by myself. I gripped the blanket and stared into nothing. I leaned my head against the headboard. "I wonder if she ... knows how I feel. " 

Sigh. 

[ Your POV ] 

"Daddy! It's just a small date. " I pouted, holding onto my father's trembling arm. I knew he didn't want to let his little girl go out with such a ... My eyes flickered towards Eli. A muscular.. softie. I chuckled mentally and patted my dad's arm. 

"What time will you bring her home?" My dad questioned him. 

"7:00pm. So then she could have a good night sleep and be in time for dinner with her parents. " He answered, confident. 

My father eyed Eli suspiciously then smoothed his expression with a smile. I sighed in relief and let go of his trembling grasp as my mother took her place beside her other half. 

"We can trust him, yeobo. " My mother chime, clapping her sweet hands together, satisfied with Eli's response. 

"Hm. Okay, you two run off now. Eli-ah. " 

"Yes, sir?" 

"If you hurt her, you do know what will become of you. " My father growled, cracking his knuckles. 

"Appa!" I whined, patting his balled fists, exchanging frightened expressions with my mother. I stared at the two men in front of me as they nodded in agreement. Woosh, I blew my bangs away from my eyes. Before heading out, I pecked my parents' cheek lightly and waved, handing them their gifts. 

"Love you!" I called out, running down the hallway to meet up with Eli who was leaning coolly against the front door. I looked back up on the stairs and stared at Kevin who was staring back. Avoiding my look, he walked back into his room, a different expression on his face. Jealousy? I asked myself. I shook my head and met up with Eli, grabbing his arm with my own. 

***

"Where to?" Eli asked, smiling at his new girlfriend. 

I placed my finger against my lips as I thought about the possible places we could go. Park? Mall? Cinema? No no. I stared back at Eli with uncertain eyes that caused him to chuckle and stared in deep thought, thinking of some ideas. We walked arm in arm down the snowy sidewalks, still thinking what we should do for the day. 

"Skating?" 

I stared at him in shock as I lowered my head. Sk-skating? I cringed at the sound of ice cracking. Squeezing his arm lightly, he yelped as I accidentally pinched him. 

"Sorry!" I apologized quickly as I patted the red area. He nodded and tilted his head in doubt. 

"Why not? Skating? " He stared at me blankly until he understood. " You don't know how?"

I pouted pitifully and stared at the bank of snow in front of us. I don't want to spend my Christmas falling down endlessly on the ice. I winced at the thought. Ouch, I closed my eyes shut and opened them after calming myself down. 

 

“Come on.” He smiled, grabbing my hand swiftly.

Oh please no.

***

“It’s not going to kill you.” Eli muttered, waiting on the ice.

I stood at the small entrance of the rink and stared at Eli who had his hands extended towards me. I stared at the cold white ice, scarred from all the ice blades. I stared at him frightened and crossed my arms. Out of all places, did it have to be a skating rink? I stared at the other people skating and racing down the icey road. I winced when I saw a kid fall on their . Doesn’t that hurt? I asked them in my mind. Before I know it, Eli grabs my arms and pulls me onto the ice, causing me to yelp, a very awkward yelp.

“Just hold on to the side.” He smiled.

He didn’t have to tell me twice. I was practically holding onto the side for my life. I stared at the two young kids skate as if it was nothing. I pouted and held onto Eli’s hand, holding onto the side at the same time. Taking one step at a time.  If there was a turtle right beside me, he’d most likely win. Trust me. At this rate, Eli and I will be stuck on the very spot for 2938579857 hours. I sighed in frustration and held Eli’s hand tighter.

“Slowly…slowly.” He guided me, skating a bit faster so then I could get the hang of it. Bravely, I let go of the cold wall and balanced with Eli’s hand. “Oh God. I’m falling.” I let out. I felt my leg give out, causing me to lean against Eli’s chest. “Oof!” I closed my eyes and tried balancing myself, calming my trembling body.

“Haha. You’re thinking too much, babe.” He my hair and helped my stand up straight. B-Babe? I thought to myself, shocked at the new nickname.

“B-Babe?” I stuttered, clutching onto his jacket. I studied his bashful expression as he rubbed his thumb over the back of my hand. I..I never had anyone call me that before. I let out a soft laugh as I watched him almost lose his balance as I patted him a bit roughly. I eyed him rub the back of his neck, avoiding my eyes as he blushed.

“S-Sorry. I just… It doesn’t feel comfortable to be called that?”

I shook my head and blushed; “No… no. It’s just something…new.” I stared at him as I smiled, without noticing that we were skating in normal speed. I smiled and started laughing as I could finally skate. “I..I can skate.” He smiled and twirled me, earning a nervous glance from me causing him to chuckle.

“Don’t worry. I’m right here.” He smiled, gripping onto my hand tightly, making sure I don’t even feel a drop of doubt and fright.

***

“Yummy?” I asked Eli as he ate some fries. I eyed his expression as he kept eating cutely. I pouted because he didn’t answer back. A smile formed on his face.

“Yeah. Are you cold?” He stared at my hands that rubbed together, yelping for warmth. The skating rink was so cold that it practically froze my hands, well, pretty much my whole body. I covered my mouth as I chewed and nodded slowly. He got up and moved his chair right to the right side and sat beside me, pulling me close, my arms, warming me. I smiled at his sudden gallant gesture and leaned my head against his shoulder as I chewed on the hard piece of meat. Suddenly, a warm kiss landed on my right temple and a hand my hair out of my face. I looked at him, probably a bit shocked because he stared at me a bit wide-eyed.  I smiled and kept chewing on my food, staring at my plate.

***

“I had a good time today.” I smiled as I walked ahead of Eli, taking one step closer to my front door. I got to the door and turned around to face my …boyfriend. I never thought I would ever say that word. I cleared my throat and swung my arms playfully as the silence started to become awkward. He also cleared his throat and tightened his scarf around his neck, also awkward. I rubbed my arms and smiled at him:

“I better head inside; it’s getting kind of chilly. And you should too.. My parents are probably waiting for me inside. So...”

“Wait.” He got up the steps and stood in front of me, rubbing my arms. He inhaled a deep breath and stared deeply into my own. I gulped as a nervous response. “Do..uh…I..”

I tilted my head as I tried to decipher whatever he was mumbling but nothing came to mind. I watched him shove his hand into his jacket’s pocket, taking out a small bue box. I eyed the box and stared back at him.

“Merry Christmas.” He whispered, taking out a onyx necklace, matching his own onyx chain. I smiled at him and then saddened.

“I didn’t get you anything for you… I’m so sorry.” I stared at him sadly and fiddled with the onyx chain.

He walked behind me and ordered me to lift my hair as he placed the onyx chain around my neck. When a satisfying click sounded, he let my hair fall onto my shoulders and the cold feeling on the chain caress my neck. Chills were sent down my long spine, I shivered.

“It’s fine. Here, I know what can be my gift.”

I stared at him questionably. He approached me, his two hand caressing my cheeks as his lips met with my own. Nervous, I clutched my hands onto his shirt as he pressed his lips. His hands travelled to my waist, pinching them softly as he reeled me in closer against his firm chest. My eyes shut closed, I could see nothing but darkness, but all I needed was the sense of touch to make me melt. Getting used to his warmth, my hands s his way to his shoulders, helping me balance on my tippy toes. I responded back, kissing him gently, unsure of what to do next considering the fact that this was my first relationship. I felt his two lips part but I felt scared of the upcoming intrusion. I pulled away and let my hands hug his cheeks. Eli placed his forehead against my own forehead, a satisfied smile forming on his face.

“Hah..” He let out, out of breath.  “You’re not a bad kisser.”

I chuckled at his comment and slapped his arm playfully. I stared at his swollen lips and touched my own lips, the lips he kissed, the lips that felt like it belonged to him. I felt my heart race greatly as he approached me once more.

“One for the road?” He asked, his hand on one cheek, swiftly leaning in for one more kiss.

I closed my eyes, preparing for one more.

“Ahem.”

My eyes flickered to the door as Kevin stood there, with no emotion whatsoever. I pulled away from Eli’s grasp as Kevin eyed the both of us. Feeling awkward, I told Eli goodbye with a wave of my hand but he pulled me in, landing another kiss on my lips, but this time a quick but loving peck. I smiled and just waved, rushing to go inside. I couldn’t take the awkwardness as Kevin kept staring.

“Goodnight.” Eli told Kevin.

“Night.” Kevin mumbled back as he closed the door, separating Eli and I.

I stared at Kevin who was leaning against the back of the front door as he watched my take off my shoes. A smirk formed on his face as he pushed away and approached me slowly.

“Had fun on your first date?” He asked, eyeing me as I ped my grey jacket.

“Yeah, I guess.” I answered back awkwardly, hanging the jacket in the closet. I made my way to the stairs and starting going up the flight of the stairs, having Kevin follow me. I felt his presence right behind me. In the middle of the steps, I turned towards him and asked:

“Are you following me?”

“I’m going to my room, you idiot.” He snapped, gesturing me to continue walking up. “Well? Keep going.” He growled once more. If looks could kill, I would certainly be dead long time ago. I rolled my eyes and kept taking one step at a time. Before entering my room, a hand enveloped my wrist, turning me around. Kevin pointed at his neck and glared.

“Oh.” Was all I could say. I pecked him quickly and walked to my room quickly, slamming the door to his arrogant looking face. The nerve of him to order me around. Sheesh. I puffed and took off my shirt, showing off my black tanktop. I stared at my bed to be greeted by a red velvet rectangular box.

“….” I examined the box and opened it.  A chain with a star pendant on it. My eyes widened. Inside the box was a small letter that said the following:

“______,

       I was about to give you the Christmas present this morning but you were in such a hurry to meet up with Eli so I just let it go. So whatever. I got you this necklace, hopefully it’ll give you a bit of its beauty. Just joking. Don’t overreact, you weirdo. Anyways. It’s true, we have our differences and it seems everything I do gets you upset but what am I suppose to do if you’re so ….airheaded.”

I stared at the crossed out word: dumb, which was replaced by airheaded. I growled at the letter. Aren’t both of the word pretty much mean the same thing? The nerve of this guy.. Stupid Kevin. I continued reading the letter as much as I hated that sentence.

“Anyways. Merry Christmas.

                                             From: Kevin.”

Why is he always my boss? SHEESH. I throw the letter on the ground and stomped on it as a sign of anger. Stop being so confusing and stick with your own life. I’m happy with Eli, aren’t I? I glared at the ground, frustrated.  I walked to the mirror and stared at the onyx chain with the star pendant that Eli gave which was on my neck and the silver chain with the very same pendant that was given by Kevin. Stars. Burden. I stared at both necklaces and sighed.

I’m happy with Eli.

I am.

I really am.

Aren’t I?