Elegance of A Ribbon

Dazzling Wish

 

 

I walked down the stairs hastily, grabbing a toast, putting it in my mouth. Hm. I'm forgetting something... Oh! I ran back the stairs and grabbed my letter, a letter addressed to the secretary for a request of changing classes. I stared at the letter and smiled at it weakly. 

 

"______."  I heard Kevin call out. 

 

Without turning, I answered him with a simple hmm. 

 

"I could bring you to sch--" 

 

"No, I'll take the school bus. See you, Kevin-sshi. " 

 

Without looking at him, I walked past him quickly, grabbing my coat. I wrapped my neck with my scarf a bit too fast, a bit tight. But either way, my objective was to get out of the house quickly, away from Kevin. I don't want to deal with this kind of drama. 

 

[ Kevin's POV ]

 

Once the door closed, I lightly punched the wall. Dammit. Did she really mean what she said yesterday? I growled lightly, and sighed. I'm so dumb. I was angrier at myself yesterday and there I was taking it on her. . I grabbed my folder and threw it on the floor; it was the closest thing to me. I can't explain it. With Hyuna, it's something ... that it's indescribable. With _____, she's like a breath of fresh air yet irritating but... 

 

I shook my head and grabbed my coat. How long will she ignore me? 

 

***

 

"Thanks, class. I'll see you tomorrow. " I smiled as they filed down the aisle, eager to get out of the stuffy class. For winter time, it was incredible hot in the school. ing my shirt slightly, I stared at the empty seat that was once occupied by _____. She actually dropped out of this class. I scoffed and placed everything on my desk in order. 

 

"You look hot when you sweat, oppa. " That voice that intoxicated my mind. A drug. 

 

I looked at the doorway, Hyuna, again, with her long luscious curls flowing down her neck. 

 

Diverting my eyes, I put all the textbooks back in my bag, trying to prevent myself from smelling her sweet perfume, that soon filled the room, intoxicating. I closed my eyes shut, trying to get Hyuna out of my head. I felt her hands snaking her way on my back, rapidly, I pulled away, hitting my leg on the desk. 

 

"Oppa! Are you okay? Do you want me to massage it?"

 

"Get the away from me. " I growled, my leg stinging from the pain. "I know you're not that kind of a caring person. I know what you did to ______ in the past. Stealing her first love wasn't enough; you stole any guy that came her way. "

 

“How… she must be lying. Did she tell you this?”

 

“It doesn’t matter how I know this. I know it’s the truth.”

 

Her soft eyes slowly shifted into her true colors, sinister cold eyes with such wickedness, it was almost... y. I shook my head violently, and distanced myself from the so-called queen. 

 

"Oppa, haven't you seen her? She's just so ... ugly. " She pouted cutely. 

 

I growled and glared at her;

 

"Get out of my life, will you? I don't play games. And I don’t know about you, but I find her quite pretty. Atleast, better than that bittersweet personality of yours.”  

 

"Well, I can change." She urged, approaching me. "I can be committed to you, especially you. Kevin-oppa. I really like you. I know my reputation is absolutely wicked but ... For you, I can change. Don't you believe me?" 

 

I stared at her, unable to move. Why is it that I'm actually trying to believe her. She approached closer, her knees against my legs. I couldn't help but stare. I couldn't move. I didn't feel like moving. Her eyes, her lips. Intoxicating. Once again, her hands led her way to my shoulders, then to my hair, tangling her long slender fingers onto the knots of my hair. 

 

"Now. Can we continue what we had yesterday?" She purred, her right hand, placed on my chest, patting my chest lightly. 

 

***

 

[ Your POV ]

 

That was just boring. I sighed out loud. What other class could I take? I need an option class. 

 

I groaned and ruffled my hair, placing my head on the table. Sigh. Why did everything get all dramatic? And yesterday, was Kevin venting his anger or something? I don't even know. I don't WANT to know. 

 

"______"

 

I turned and smiled radiantly. 

 

"Eli! Hey, how are you?"

 

"I'm perfectly fine. Haha. I heard it was your birthday yesterday. " He smiled , giving me a sudden wink. 

 

I blushed bashfully and looked back at my textbooks. I fiddled with my pencil and kept my eyes there, I couldn't look straight at Eli. If I had, I would end up smiling like an idiot. I place my hand on my chest discreetly, my heart was beating quickly, almost as fast as before with Kevin. Don't tell me. My eyes widened. I don't like Kevin, do I? I hiccuped randomly, earning a laugh from Eli. 

 

"Are you alright?" Eli laughed. 

 

"I just hiccup when I'm nervous...Oh! "I covered my mouth, noticing what I said. I stared back at the table. 

 

"You're nervous… around me?" Eli smiled softly. 

 

I looked away and accidentally hiccuped again. Great. I covered my face with my bangs and kept my eyes away from my distant star of mine. 

 

“Haha. “ He laughed lightly. “I know we barely know each other but uh… I thought maybe we could do something, you know, for your birthday. Well. Belated Birthday. I guess.” He smiled brightly, displaying such yearning eyes, it was almost so convincing.

 

“So, a birthday outing?” I smiled, suddenly excited.

He nodded and smiled back. I haven’t gone out for my birthday is such a long time. I mean, I’ve always been busy with my studies or too busy to care, or too sulky to care.

“Ms.Kim.”

I turned and faced the secretary of the school. Old woman, classy red glasses, blond hair. She looks like those typical secretaries in movies that always seem to be snooping in their bosses lives. I smiled at her and asked her politely what was wrong.

“We just received your letter for your class change but I just made an extra copy for Mr.Woo, could you by any chance please give it him on your way to your locker? I know your locker is quite close to his homeroom.”

I felt my throat go dry and my heart starting beating quickly, out of all times… wait. Isn’t she the secretary? Isn’t it HER JOB? I glared at the paper she had between her dark purple nails. I took it carefully and watched her walk away, heel tapping. I hate that sound so much, it’s amazing. I stared at the small paper, my name written.

I sighed out loud and pouted.

“What’s the matter?” Eli asked, concerned.

“I need to give this to Kevin before we go out. Uhm, do you want to come with me?” I asked, needing someone by my side, because I knew if I was alone with Kevin, I wouldn’t be able to handle the drama. I hate this, I hate the fact that… it’s. I can’t even explain.

“Yeah, no problem. Let me carry your bag.”

“No, no. It’s fi—“ Before I could finish my sentence, he slipped my bag over his back, leading the way to Kevin’s homeroom. For a big guy, he can be quite a lady’s man and such a softie. I laughed to myself, following my distant star. I walked a bit faster, catching up with Eli, walking by his side. I looked at Eli by the side, his sharp jaw line, daring eyes that always made you smile. He turned to see the person staring back, I turned away quickly, blushing.

Suddenly, Eli came to a halt. I stared at him, he was planted frozen, eyes widened. “What’s up with you?” I went in front of him to face him.

“Eli?” I asked innocently.

I turned around to find what was so intriguing. I took a full 360 and stared through the door’s window. Dropping all my books, she did it again. She managed to crush something in me that I don’t understand.  There she was, Hyuna locked in Kevin’s arms, standing against the blackboard. They shared what I would call one very passionate kiss, that made my heart sink. This hole, this void just felt larger, deeper, darker. I couldn’t explain it. Her hand around her neck while the other travelled through her chest, tracing his clothed stomach.  I inhaled a deep breath and felt my heart drop, eyes started to sting.

Their lips parted for a deep breath of fresh air, leaving all the stuffy air out. Kevin’s eyes fluttered open and turned towards the door, staring at Eli & I, shocked. Before I knew it, I was storming away, not even thinking twice of the papers on the floor.

“_____!’ Eli called out from afar, still planted next to the door.

I said I didn’t care but why is it that I feel this way? Hyuna, you win. I don’t know what this is about but you win. It seems she just wants me to always be broken and stay broken. What else would she take? Walking quickly to running, I ran to the place that I felt safe. Outside. As the doors flung open, the cold air embraced my hair and overflowed gradually, I wasn’t wearing my coat, only jeans and a simple shirt. I was freezing but the unknown pain I felt was even greater. I didn’t care. I just wanted to crawl into a ball and freeze.  I leaned against the brick wall and looked towards the cloudy sky. Even the sky is sad, I thought to myself. I coughed and sighed.

“_____.”

I didn’t bother turning.

“_____!”

I didn’t want to turn. Don’t make me.

“Yah!”

Kevin walked in front of me, arms crossed. I stared back at him, eyes were probably red, I could feel the sting. The first thing I noticed was his lips, his swollen red lips. His chest heaved in and out, out of breath. From what? The kissing or the running? I asked myself. The more I looked at him, the void felt larger. I have to keep my word, I told myself. I can’t interfere anymore.

‘Kevin-sshi. I… uh. Was told to give you this paper regarding my class transfer. So here you go.” I handed him the paper, faking a smile.

“Aish. Yah. _____.” He grabbed the paper rapidly and looked at it, then staring back at me.

Uncomfortable, my eyes blinked and turned away.

“I better get going.” I sniffled from the cold. I bowed and tried to head back but his eyes made me stay planted.

“About earlier…” He got cut off.

“I.. Don’t worry about it! I won’t tell anybody! But just be more careful next time, you do know teacher-student relationships aren’t tolerated. I’ll just pretend I didn’t see that, araso?”

He grabbed my wrist and glared, “YAH!” I winced at the sound of his angry tone, I could never get used to it even with the enormous amount of times that I’ve heard it.

“You know that’s not what I meant. Why did you run? Why did you run away from us? Are you jealous, dongsaeng?” He asked, eyeing my expression.

Angered, I pulled my wrist away from him. I held my breath and glared. Without knowing, my hand was extended, his cheek red from the impact. I slapped him. It was a sudden automatic reflex, I’ve never slapped anybody in my life.

“Pabo.” I whispered, cracked. “You’re an idiot for thinking that. Why would I be jealous of that crap? Of Hyuna? You got to be kidding me. And by the way, I don’t care what you do with her. Sleep with her, as if I would care! You’ll just be like all the other guys she’s played with. I’m not going to interfere with your life, just don’t bring her into my home. If you date her, then fine. I’m happy for you.”

He stared at me and was sincerely shocked, as if the cat has cut his tongue. He looked at the ground, progressing all I’ve just said just now. “Look.” His hand slammed against the wall, pinning me against the cold rough brick surface. I held my head up, distancing my face from his.

“Then why don’t you tell me why you ran, hm?”

“I was scared.”

“Scared of what?”

“That someone would see because I made such a scene. I didn’t want your teacher job to be taken away especially when this is how you getting money at the moment since you can’t go back to Korea.” I mumbled.

“For crying out loud, I’m not your freaking teacher. You liar!”

“Yes, you are. And stop yelling at me! It seems all we ever do is arguing!” Finally, a tear rolled down my face, a display expression of my dismay and frustration.  “I’m sick and tired of the drama. Honestly, I don’t know what is making me get to emotional but… just..”

“You like me.” He said flatly.

My cheeks flared a bright red. That heavenly rhythm came back, my heart pounding. I gulped and stared at him, pretending not to care.

“No, I don’t. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a date.”

“A date?” He asked sourly.

“Yeah, a date.”

‘With who?” Kevin growled, this time, approaching even closer.

“With me.”

Both of our heads turned, Eli standing there with a jacket in hand, my jacket. He approached us both, moving Kevin’s arm in the way, grabbing my wrist carefully, not too tightly, not too loose. He smiled warmly that took all the cold and dismay away. Slowly, he wrapped the jacket around me, intertwining his fingers with my own. I looked down at the sudden act that I was not used to, I looked at our hands, something new, a toy a child just received for Christmas.

“Tsk. What a cute couple.” Kevin growled, stretching his arms. His eyes darted towards my hand, our hands together, Eli’s hand.

I felt Eli lightly squeeze my hand and stared back at Kevin, showing a smile.

“Thank you. We’re actually going out for her birthday, right _____?”

I nodded slowly and smiled at Eli, all eyes on him. I didn’t bother looking at Kevin because I knew what expression he had. Was he the one jealous? Or... what’s his problem?

“Then you two better get going.” Kevin said, his voice monotone, no emotion. “I don’t want to slow you down. I guess I better go back. My girlfriend is waiting for me back at the homeroom.”

Girlfriend. That one word just killed everything. I don’t know why and I don’t know how. But one thing for sure is I didn’t like it. Kevin was just going to get played, just like all the other men Hyuna has ever seduced, has ever slept with. Knowing Hyuna, she would take advantage of the fact that he was still clean, never been touched. My eyes flickered sadly and stared deeply into Kevin’s. I tried warning him, will he ever listen? He’s just stubborn.

“Be careful, Kevin.” I warned him, reflex. Eli’s hand squeezing my own, building back my strength.

“Whatever. I hope you two have a good dinner.” Like that, he walked away, going back to Hyuna Kim, the winner, the queen, the one who took everything away from me and still on it.

***

His hand put over a strand of my hair over my ear, his thumb brushed away the tear. I stared at Eli, sitting across from me at the food court in the mall. He sighed hopelessly and watched me eat slowly.

“How are you feeling now?” Eli asked, upset.

I shrugged and stuffed my mouth with another round of noodles, felt like a hamster, stuffing its cheeks. I chewed slowly, my mind still thinking about Kevin. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hyuna slept with him in that homeroom. Gugh. Disgusting. I cringed at the thought and kept chewing.

“Don’t let him get to you... Do... Do you like him?”

My eyes watched his lips as he talked, I shook my head slowly and kept eating. I sniffled and felt my eyes start to sting again. I don’t know what hurts more… The fact that Kevin is with someone else or… the fact that my first love still hasn’t recognize me. I wiped my mouth with my sleeve and stared at my plate.

“I’m sorry that this date isn’t as… date-like.” I said softly, my voice still weak from all the yelling.

Eli got off his seat and met up with me beside me, his arm extended and landed on my shoulders, warmth washed over my body. I felt safe in his arms; there was no doubt about that. I smiled and kept staring back at my plate, unsure what to do.

"He's just a bit angry. I mean, well. I don't know why but... If I'm not mistaken, I think he might like you but.. then again him kissing that girl.." He explained softly, his hand patting my right shoulder, trying to comfort me.  "And I can tell, that you're a bit unsure of your own feelings as well, am I correct?" He eyed my expression. I looked back at him, shocked, I didn't know what to say because I was stuck in between. Even with Eli, my heart just beats quickly also. 

                                   

I scooted a bit away from him and fixed my chair to face him. I stared at his eyes and I didn't understand what came over me. 

 

"Oppa. " I called out. 

 

He tilted his head and blinked. 

 

"Yeah, _____?" He asked, a bit uncertain of what was happening. 

 

I looked around the mall, but nothing. Hm. Then, an idea came to mind, I grabbed my tray and grabbed Eli's hand, dragging him with me. 

 

"Where are we going, _____?" 

 

"I want to show you something. " I whispered as I stuffed the trash in the trashcan. 

 

When the tray was neatly placed on the trash bin, I intertwined my fingers with Eli's fingers, walking ahead of him. My eyes scanned the stores, trying to find what I was looking for. I looked back at our hand briefly, still new to the holding hands concept. I smiled and went back to looking at the stores. 

 

"Are you trying to punish me by going shopping again?" He laughed. 

 

"Ani." I smiled back at him, finally arriving at the designated store. 

 

I brought him to the hair care section. 

 

"Are you trying to tell me something?" His hand let go of my hand, ruffling his hair and started to laugh. I shook my head and smiled. 

 

"Wait. " I pouted. 

 

I looked at the elastics and stared at all the articles the store offered. There it was; ribbons. I looked at them and picked out a few colors. 

 

"Which one?" I placed the ribbons on my arms to show the colors more clearly. 

 

"Um. " He pointed at the navy blue with white embroidery. Nice pick, I thought. 

 

Should I really do this? I asked myself. I walked in front of a mirror and stared at myself, my eyes were a bit red, lips dry from the rash winter cold. Swiftly, I grabbed my hair from my temples, leading them to the back of my head, a ponytail. Once I've secured it with an elastic, I tied the ribbon Eli has chosen elegantly, letting the leftover strings to flow down on my shoulders. I took off my glasses, placing them in my bag. As I heaved a sigh, I turned around and took a deep breath. 

 

At that moment, he knew. His eyes gave it away.  He let out this quivering light sigh. 

 

"I never thought I'd see you again. " I whispered softly, fiddling with my hands. "I really thought that... that was the last time I'd ever see you. I... finally got your name."