Racing

Dazzling Wish

 

 
Dancing and singing to the music flowing in my ears. My IPod Touch in the pocket of my white Hello Kitty apron.  I started making myself a good breakfast, the warm smell of toast bread and eggs filling the kitchen. Thank god, it's the weekend! Parents are out also for a week, on vacation. No need to worry about Kevin and my parents seeing me reset the timer by doing.. That. 
 
I stared at the yellow book on the laminated counter: "Korean For Idiots. " I glared at it and threatened it with the spatula, but set it down to the oily pan. 
 
"Doradoradoragadora~" I sang while cooking the eggs, sunny-side up. 
 
I wonder what I should do today, should I go and pamper myself a bit, face mask and everything upstairs? Oh god. What if Kevin comes and sees me. Okay, that's a no. Hmm. Should I go and read my fanfics.?Oh. Definite no. An idol seeing someone reading a fanfic of them? Embarrassing! Should I ...
 
I stared at the yellow book again. Should I study? Pft. Kevin is just going to nag me. What could I do today? Oh! How about playing on the PS2? No, maybe not. Ugh. 
 
I set down the plate of eggs on the table right beside the toast bread and across from the sausages. I ruffled my hair. I can't let this long weekend go to waste. Christmas break! Hey! Maybe I should go Christmas shopping, not a bad idea. 
 
"Doradoradoradorag----" I sang out loud. 
 
I turned around swiftly and held my chest in shock. 
 
"Dear god!" I yelled out loud. 
 
Kevin, chuckling to himself, covered by a white baggy shirt and checkered shorts. He raised an eyebrow;
 
"Someone likes UKISS, huh? Nice apron. " 
 
I stared down at my apron and untied the ribbon quickly, putting the apron away hastily. 
 
"Whatever." I muttered, turning off my IPod, avoiding Kevin's aloof gaze.
 
"Yum. Breakfast. " He sat down on my chair. MY CHAIR. EATING. MY. BREAKFAST! 
 
I growled and sat down on the chair, empty. Look at him, stuffing his face with my food. I muttered mentally, watching Kevin eating my toast. Oh! Did I mention that it was my toast? 
 
"Here. " He held out a piece of bread. 
 
I extended my hand to reach for it but he pulls it away. 
 
He shook his head and offered it again;
 
"Ahh!" He smiled, the sunlight radiated behind him. 
 
"What?" I muttered, not sure what he's trying to do. 
 
"I'm trying to feed you. " He muttered, stuffing the piece of bread in his mouth. 
 
I felt my stomach start to bubble, crying out, growling for food. I pouted and ate a sausage. 
 
"You used my fork. " Kevin growled. 
 
I stared at him, wide eyed, the fork still in my mouth. 
 
"Oops. " I took it out and handed it back. 
 
He shook his head and growled, taking back the fork.
 
"So, we're alone this whole week. " He smirked. 
 
"Yeah, and?" I asked, scared. I stared down at my tank-top, and quickly grabbed the first thing to cover my chest. 
 
He scoffed out loud, and kept eating. 
 
"Don't worry. I have no intention of ... touching you in any way. Look at you. I mean, why would I? " He pointed the fork at my face.
 
Hurt, I just got up, taking his still filled breakfast plate, placing it far away from him. 
 
"I hate that. " I told him, proving him that it hurts too. "It's funny cause you apologized yesterday for being so rude and... You still don't know how to spare a girl's feelings. " I ate the rest of his breakfast, looking down. 
 
"Whatever. Do you want me to?" He growled. 
 
I glared back at him, rolling my eyes and took the yellow book. That wasn't what I meant. I stomped towards him and placed the book harshly in front of him. 
 
"I don't want it. " I muttered. "You at saying sorry. " I tied my hair, while stomping my way back to my room. I slam the door, making sure it would be loud enough that it'll make Kevin wince. 
 
Jerk. 
 
I went back to my bed, covering myself with my blanket. 
 
Few minutes later, I hear footsteps climbing up the stairs slowly. I covered my whole body with my green duvet, pretending to sleep. 
 
Creak. . .
 
"______?" I heard Kevin call out. "I know you're not sleeping. " 
 
I didn't bother moving. Sigh. 
 
Then the bed on the lower side sank, someone was sitting. 
 
"I'm trying to sleep. " I muttered, pretending to be tired. 
 
"Yeah. Right. " He chuckled, patting my right foot. 
 
I sat up straight, my blanket on my head and stared at Kevin who stared back. 
 
"What?" I growled huskily. 
 
He threw the yellow book lightly in front of me and pointed at it. 
 
"I don't want it. " I displayed an angered expression. 
 
"Read the second page. " 
 
I took the yellow book and flipped to the second page. 
 
"Sorry again. By the way, you . Thanks for the breakfast. - Kevin, the jerk in your eyes. " 
 
I chuckled and threw it back in front of me, glaring back at Kevin who was smiling, thinking that he's funny. I rolled my eyes and approached him by a few centimeters. 
 
"You never had a girlfriend before?" I asked curiously, wondering if what he said on TV was bull or not. 
 
He shook his head;
 
"I mean. I've had crushes and all like-"
 
"Like back in high school, you confessed to some girl before debuting, right? " I continued.
 
"Yeah. You know a lot about me, don't you? And why do you ask? You, interested?"
 
I rolled my eyes and scowled.
 
"You? No. Why would I?" I imitated his tone from earlier. "Besides, I don't want to go out with someone who always look down at me all the time."
 
"Like everyone?" 
 
I stayed silent and Kevin raises his hand in apology. 
 
"It just came out. " Kevin admitted, pouting apologetically. "So like who would you go out with? Someone nice? Like Eli?"
 
I blushed at the sound of Eli's name. I stared at my feet and kept my eyes glued there. 
 
"N-No. " I whispered, almost sounding like a question. 
 
"I'm not convinced that that was a real no. You like Eli?" Kevin asked, wide-eyed. 
 
"No.. No! I don't even know him. " I lied.  
 
He nodded and smiled a half smile. 
 
"Why are you asking?" I asked, tilting my head in curiosity, my long hair flowing down by my shoulder. 
 
He shrugged and threw a pillow towards me. Luckily, I dodged it. 
 
"What was that for?" I yelled, hitting him with the pillow. 
 
"Let's go out. " 
 
"Mwoh?" I replied, surprised of the sudden preposition. 
 
"Out. Shopping. We should go Christmas shopping. " He said. "Besides, I'm planning to buy your parents something too, since they let me stay. "
 
"You don't have to. "
 
"I want to. Come on. Get dressed, we're going out. " He left the room. "I'll meet you outside. " 
 
*** 
 
[ Kevin's POV ]
 
Aish. Where is this girl? I rubbed my hands together, trying to keep myself warm. I wrapped my red scarf around my face. I glared at the sun; you liar, you seem sunny but it's freaking cold. 
 
Oh come on. 
 
Suddenly, the front door opens hastily. A young girl, dark framed glasses, petite, long chocolate hair,  long white coat, also wearing a red scarf around her neck. 
She looks like a marshmallow... a cute one, I guess. I smiled, but before she could look up, I washed the smile away; 
 
"Well, finally?" I muttered coldly. "I'm freezing here. "
 
"Well, sorry. " _______ growled, hiding in her red scarf. 
 
While walking to the bus stop, I heard her humming a lullaby, a familiar one too. The same one Eli would hum. My eyes gazed upon her as she hummed each note perfectly. The sun shone upon her curls, her eyes, milk chocolate. I shook my head and cleared my throat. 
 
"That lullaby. Eli's lullaby. " I pointed out. 
 
Suddenly, the melodic symphony stopped. 
 
"Oh. Yeah. " She said quietly. "It's pretty, isn't it?"
 
"Yeah. " I replied, shortly. Whatever. 
 
*** 
 
"Isn't this cute?" _______ held up a red auburn polo. "Should I get it for my Dad?"
 
"No. " I muttered. "It's ugly. "
 
Her arms fell lifelessly and she looked disappointed. 
 
"Whatever. Too bad. I like it. I'm buying this for Daddy. " I heard ______ murmur to herself. 
 
I scanned the store, clothes of different colors; red, auburn, brown... So many shades. So much variety. The scent of perfume filled the store, stinging my nose. I looked down at my hands, numb from holding all the gifts that I've  bought. 
 
"Are you done yet?" I complained. 
 
"Yeah. " She smiled, holding up all the gift bags happily. 
 
I smiled and gestured her to come out. 
 
Walking side by side, bumping shopping bags against each other, I hear _______ hum the same lullaby. Suddenly, she came to a halt and stared at the clear window of a store. 
 
"What is it?" I asked, walking to her side. I looked closer and behind the thick glass wall was a pure silver chain, with a heart pendant in the center. With the corner of my eye, ______'s eyes sparkled, she was in awe. 
 
"Ahem?" I cleared my throat pulling _____ out of her trance. 
 
"So-Sorry. It's just so precious. But I don't like the pendant. " She commented, placing her hand on the glass rim. 
 
I raised an eyebrow and stared at the necklace as ______ walked her way to another store. Hm. I squinted my eyes to have a better view of the jewel. I shrugged and followed Ms. Marshmallow over there. 
 
"Stay there. " I scowled. "Be right back. "
 
I walked quickly back to the jewelry store and went to the clerk. 
 
"The one on display please. And I have a little request..."
 
***
 
[ Your POV]
 
Where'd Kevin run off to? I scanned the area and sat down on the sofa. I know he told me to wait here but ... he could at least tell me where he was going to go. I tapped my feet against the ceramic tiles and starting humming Eli's melody. 
 
"_____?" I looked up. "Oh. Eli! Uh. H-Hey. "
 
He waved and sat down beside me. 
 
"What are you doing here alone?" He asked. 
 
I lifted my shopping bags and smiled. 
 
"Shopping. " 
 
"Ah. Christmas time, eh?" He poked the opening of one of the bags. His eyes widened; "Is this for Kevin?"
 
I took quick look around the halls, making sure Kevin was not in sight. I took the gift out of the bag and showed it to Eli. 
 
"It's a jacket, and a tuque. I mean. His jacket that he has now has a hole. So... But I don't even know if it'll fit him. " I pouted. 
 
Eli took the jacket slowly from my hands and tried it on. 
 
He smiled a bright smile that made my heart melt. Gulp. 
 
"It fits. It'll be good for---"
 
"Eli?" 
 
I stared at Kevin, who was wide eyed,
his arms holding the bags almost lifelessly. Eli took off the jacket hastily, stuffing it back in the bag. 
 
"Hey." He waved awkward at Kevin, a small smile, then looked back at me. 
 
"Uh. Hi. " He muttered, stuffing one of his hands in his pocket. 
 
"Anyways, I'll see you around right? "I asked Eli hastily, urging him that I had to leave. 
 
He nodded and waved, as I ran back quickly to catch up with Kevin, already walking his way out of the mall. 
 
 
"W-Wait up!" I yelled, trying to catch my breath. Omo. I stopped and stared at the watch. 40minutes remaining. "Kevin!" Suddenly, a sudden breeze of heavy snow hit my face, blinding me from seeing anything for a second. 
 
Kevin turned around and his eyes were filled with fear. Everything happened so fast. A red car racing my way. I couldn't move, my feet glued to the ground with fear. I wanted to scream but not a single sound came out. I closed my eyes, preparing for the hit. I felt my body hit, not the car, but someone. Someone managed to tackle me out of the way of the racing car. 
 
 
One minute I was crossing the street. The next I was in his arms right one the sidewalk. I smelt the sweet scent of his cologne, the warmth seeped through our bodies. I couldn't breathe. Besides the fact that it was freezing outside, I felt so warm. One of his arms around my waist, while the other hand caressed the back of my head, my curls, brushing the fear away. My arms were glued to my side, I felt myself shake in fear, trembling incredibly. 
 
"Be careful, you !" Eli yelled at the car that had honked, his hand still caressing my waist.
 
“I…I..” I stuttered, I pulled away and stared at Eli, trembling. “T-Thankyou.” 
 
“_______!” Kevin ran my way. “Why didn’t you pay attention? Couldn’t you see that the car was behind you? What are you blind? You could have gotten killed, worst, you could have had Eli get hurt!” He yelled, I winced at every word he said.
 
“Ke-Kevin...” Eli urged him to stop, grabbing a hold of his arm.
 
I felt my eyes start to sting as the tears formed. My hands, my whole body trembled hysterically. I covered my face with my hands when I saw all the shopping bags on the ground, crushed by the car. That could have been me. Or even Eli. I let my hair fall to my face, covering my red eyes.
 
“It’s okay.” I heard Eli whisper, another embrace from him. “It’s okay, you’re alright. Just be more careful.”
I couldn’t help but cry. His words meant a lot, it just made the tears fall down. 
 
***
 
I stared at the crushed gift bags that were scattered on my dining table. I sniffled and wiped my eyes again, sitting across from the trash. I can’t believe I was so careless. 
 
Omo. I got up quickly and went to look for Kevin. I ran upstairs to his room without knocking, him, staring outside the snowy window. Without him knowing, I pecked his neck as it resetted the timer to another 24 hours.
 
“There was only a few minutes left…” I whispered, my voice still shaking from fear.
 
“By the way, that jacket that Eli was wearing before... Was it a gift for him?” He asked, without looking back at me.
 
“Actually, it was for y—“
 
“’Cause that was an ugly jacket.” He muttered coldly.
 
I froze and sighed. I felt really dumb at that moment as if my very heart just got crushed. I guess I’m not that fashionable after all, huh? 
 
“Oh... That was actually a gift for you. But… good thing, the car came by, huh?” I smiled a half-smile, still frightened of the sudden event from earlier. I sighed and scratched the back of my head. “I guess I better go to bed, I have a head ache.”
 
I turned around to walk away, only to be met by arms around my waist from behind. I looked in front of me, frozen. Tight was his hold, I couldn’t move, the same feeling of warmth with Eli has struck once again. I couldn’t breathe.
 
“Don’t say that it was a good thing that the car came by and almost... You almost…” He whispered, his warm breath tickling the side of my neck. “You got to be more careful, will you? Are you trying to worry all of us? _______. Just be more careful. Clumsy girl.”
 
“Promise me that. Everything will be okay. You’re okay, _____, you’re okay.” He whispered. I felt a warm smile form upon his face. Still holding on, he held tighter and then letting go slowly, still standing behind me. 
 
I thought he didn’t want anything to do with me? I felt my heart start to race. 
 
What exactly are you thinking, Kevin? You’re so unpredictable, absolutely confusing.