Secrets Kept Within The Heart

Dazzling Wish

 

[ Hyuna's POV ]

I tapped my nails on the desk as I watched Kevin hand out the exams, student by student. My eyes scanned the room and stared at the seat that was once occupied by that : _______. I scoffed and a paper suddenly landed on my desk. My eyebrows furrowed, I rapidly placed my foot in front of Kevin's way, blocking him from advancing to the next student. All eyes were on me. And I loved it. 

"A 68%?" I growled. I glared at the red writing and crumpled the paper into a ball, throwing it on the ground. Gasps filled the room and some 'awes', even some chuckling. I rolled my eyes and my lips, eyeing Kevin's figure. 

"Well. If you studied harder, maybe you'll atleast get a 70% ."

 

The nerve of this guy!? Just because he’s an idol, he’s acting all snuck-up. Doesn’t he know what I could easily do to him with the snap of my fingers? I growled at him and snapped:

 

“Are you calling me dumb? Do you have any idea of what I’m capable of, Mr. Sunghyun?” I got up from my chair abruptly, causing a sudden jolt in the class. Kevin stared at him, not bothered by the ruckus I was creating.

 

“I’m saying you should study more, Miss Hyuna. Whatever you are thinking is self-inflicted. I have no ideal or time to waste by insulting you.” He smirked, passing to the next student, completely ignoring the fumes that are fuming out of my head. The nerve of this … “Don’t make me expose the truth!” I yelled, all eyes on me once again, chatting echoed through the room. I half-smiled because I knew my words were poison and I loved it. I stared at Kevin’s frozen body, inept of knowing or processing what I meant. But I knew he’ll catch on.

 

“Hyuna, meet me in the hallway. Now.” He growled, not facing the class. He walked out of the room.

 

Heh, I told you he’d catch on. I flipped my hair, dropping all the guys dead and walked out the room and greeted a cold-faced Kevin, absolutely unamused of the act back in class, especially in front of all the students, innocent of what the hell is happening with our lives.

“What the was that, Hyuna?” He growled, he looked around the hallways and grabbed me, leading me to the locker room. “Mind explaining that move?”

 

I flipped my hair and pouted;

 

“Not really. I’m pretty sure you know what I meant, silly?” I by speaking in a higher pitch. I knew it annoyed him so.

 

“I swear if you hurt ____..” He growled back, balling his fists. He had a sudden glare in the gleam of his eyes that . I smirked and approached him ily as I untightened my uniform tie. He eyed me and backed away slowly; “I say what I mean and I mean it. You and I are over, you hear me? Then again, there was never an “us”, was there? ” I cringed at his words and glared at him, bringing a fist up to his face.  

 

“You do know it’s MY say. What the hell did you not understand when I said that I could crush you with the snap of my fingers? I’m pretty sure we got close enough to know what we are capable of. And you know what I mean.” I winked at him and traced my lips with my index finger. He turned away and stared at the clock on the side of the class. “And doesn’t really matter, I mean I already did a beating on her, I believe that’s enough.”

 

His eyes widened as I mentioned the time I beaten ______ to the pulp. How dumb can Kevin be? Did he not notice the number of scars and bruises I’ve cause her? Sigh. And he calls himself a teacher when he doesn’t even have a skill on observation. I rolled my eyes and blew on my nails ily.

 

“You what?” This time he approached me roughly, grabbing a tug of my hair. I winced at the sudden pain and yelped. My hands tried scratching his hand but he was so strong that I couldn’t even catch a part of him.

 

“Y-Yah! Let me go or else I’ll scream. And not only is it the end of your loving career but an end to ______’s scholar records.”

 

I felt his grasp weaken; his hands fell to his side. He stared at me, submissive; he knew that any wrong move I was going to hurt the both of them. Besides, ______ ruined me back then, it’s my turn to ruin her. I will never give her the chance of humiliating me, ever. I balled my hands into fists and stared at Kevin who was speechless, thinking over his words and his future actions.

 

“I guess we both know who won here,  am I right or am I right?” I twirled my hair and smirked at him. Just like my hair I got him with the twirl of my sweet fingers. His like a puppet. I smirked and watched him slowly back away. “ Nah ah ah. “ I sing-songed “Not so fast. Where do you think you’re going, big boy?” I sat down on the chair and crossed my legs, showing the side of my thigh.  He turned around and facing me, not even moved by my actions. I mumbled and gestured him to come my way but he didn’t even budge. “Yah. Come here, or else.” I growled. “Are you playing dumb?”

 

He walked towards me lazily. Everything he does just freaking , I stared at him ily and grabbed his collar. I purposely let my hot breath tickle his neck and I was satisfied as he weakened under my touch. I stared at the tattoo, a star tattoo. I never knew Kevin.. the innocent Kevin would have a tattoo. I raised an eyebrow and smirked. Then again, he isn’t so innocent anymore is he. I kissed the side of his neck gently.. earning a whimper from his lips, he was restraining and he meant it but I gripped onto his shoulders, giving him a point. Heh, _____, if only you freaking knew.

***

 

[Your POV ]

 

I unlocked my lock and stared at the messy books and the tons of paper that flew out, scattering all over the floor. My expression darkened as I saw the words: “Weirdo” “Outcast” “Loner” Every one of the papers written with a scarlet red pen; lipstick. The papers were scented with a strong perfume and I perfectly knew who it belonged to. I stared to the corner of the hallway; Hyuna in a middle of her crowd of friends, all giggling my way. Satisfied with my expression, they left into the gym to watch the basketball team play against another team from a school next door. I scoffed at my locker and closed it, walking over the papers that apparently described the loser that they think I am.

 

I sighed out loud and kept walking.

 

“_____.” I turned around and faced Eli who had a worried expression on his face. In his hand was a paper, crumpled in between his fingers. I smiled at him and took the paper, straightening it out.

 

“Don’t let it bother you.”

 

I shook my head at him and smiled: “Don’t worry, it won’t. I just feel bad for the janitor that he has to clean up all of that mess… Why won’t they ever stop?”

 

“They have nothing better to do than bother my girlfriend, they’re probably jealous.” He winked and placed his arm over my shoulders, walking with me side by side. “Besides, I think you’re way more beautiful than Hyuna and her so-called friends. And my friends think so too.”

 

I halted and turned my head towards Eli who was nodding with pride. He stared back at me and tilted his head questioningly. “What do you mean by that?” I asked him, confused.

 

“Well.  Remember, I am part of the Gym staff so I assist the gym teacher and play with some of your classmates when it comes to sports and so... And sometimes I hea—“

 

“You mean, eavesdrop.” I corrected him, giggling.

 

He laughed awkwardly and continued with what he was saying. He looked at me assuring and boasted: “I heard that there is a certain girl in Chemistry by the name of ______.” He eyed my expression and smiled. “Who is incredibly… and I quote: Absolutely cute, bubbly and could be quite hot.” He raised his eyebrow at the last word. I rolled my eyes and stared at him look at me assumingly.

 

“What?” I asked.

 

“You’re mine though.” He muttered, cracking his knuckles. I cringed at the cracking sound and grabbed his hands, gesturing him to stop. He laughed and kissed my right temple. “I better head back to class. I’ll see you later, right babe?”

 

I nodded and waved.

 

***

 

I groaned in frustration as I was blocked from going to my next class. I rolled my eyes and held my books tightly: “I have no time for you, Hyuna. I want to get to class.” I stared at her smirk as I tried to walk away. She grabbed my arm and I winced as the painful memories flashed before my eyes. I pulled my arm away but then she slammed my books, causing it to fall all over the floor; from the loose leaf papers to my projects. I kneeled and started picking them up, ignoring the “Queen of Hearts” presence.

 

“You know better than to try and get away from me.” She snarled in between her pearly white teeth. Everything about her seems so god damn perfect besides her cold coal heart, I thought to myself, still ignoring her presence. “Look at you, you freaking . Thinking just because you got a god damn makeover, you can just ignore me. You’re still that ignorant, selfish, lonely hoar.”

 

“Hoar?” I mumbled. I ruffled my skirt, adjusting it and held onto my books even tighter, prepared for another slam. “I’m the hoar? Says the girl who has probably f…done every boy in the freaking school and flirts with every one of them, and I’m the hoar? Hyuna, unlike you, I have my values and my own particular standards. It’s about time you stop looking down on me and freaki… just value yourself. I know you’re still the same girl that I knew back then. What the heck happened to you?” I never expected these words to come out of my mouth, let alone a long speech. I was always afraid of standing up for myself especially to Hyuna. She was sinister, evil, cold but I knew…I just knew that somewhere in her was my best friend from a long time ago. I just knew it.

 

I felt her cold piercing stare as she walked around me, observing every possible angle she could get out of me. I stood there stiff, unknown at what she could do, but after that beating in Montreal, I bet she is pretty capable of doing anything if anything cross her especially if I cross the line, which I just have by standing up for myself. No one. No one stands up to the Queen. That’s what everyone says at school, it was almost a law.  It is a law…

 

“You have some nerve. I’m impressed, finally after all these years, you stand up for yourself.” She laughed all high and mighty. “You know perfectly why I’m looking down at you.”

 

I stared at her and furrowed:

“What are you talking about?”

 

She crossed her arms and stomped on the tiles, a sinister sound echoed down the hallway, dark and shadowed as no sun seeped through the windows because it has gotten so cloudy.

 

“Don’t play dumb.”

 

With that, she walked away. What is she talking about?

 

***

[ Hyuna’s POV ]

 

I can’t believe she was trying to play dumb with me. What a ing… I kept my cool and kept walking down the dark hallway until I reached the locker room. I sank against the wall and stared at my red heels. My hand approached my heels as I took them off, I winced in pain. Blisters, bruises. Heels are a girl’s pride but why does it hurt so much? I rubbed my root and stared at the window way up on the wall.

 

Flashback

 

“Mommy!” I smiled as I got up to hug her, but of course she didn’t bother hugging me back. Because I wasn’t the ideal daughter she wanted. I wasn’t perfect. I stared at my mommy stare outside, zoned out, blank. Ever since we’ve lost Daddy, Mommy was never the same. Never. No more singing around the house. No more baking on Sundays. No more laughing. Nothing. Just sobbing. Yelling. Screaming. Blaming me for losing Daddy. “Mo..Mommy?”

 

“Go to your room.” She said flat cold.

 

“But Mommy—“ Suddenly, a sudden sting caught me off-guard. I found myself on the floor, cupping my own cheek as the tears uncontrollably fell down my cheek.

 

“Why can’t you just be as obedient as _____? Huh?” She growled, grabbing me by the shirt. “It’s because of you that Daddy had to leave. Why the hell are you even here? “She let go off my shirt and went up the stairs.

 

I don’t know why I’m here… I stared at the picture frame with ______ and I, laughing. My fists balled and I glared at the picture frame. Why am I always compared to you? We’re not even related. Why is it me the one who is in the darkness? And she stole him away from me. _____ stole him.

 

End of Flashback

 

I was just a little girl back then when I was shunned by my own…she isn’t even really my mother. She’s my step-mother. My father married her a few years after my mother died because of child birth. It’s not my fault. I remember I kept repeating that over and over in my mind. It’s not my fault that I was born. It’s not my fault that my father loved me so, I was the only memory he had of my real mother. I hugged my knees and sighed. I was always shadowed by ______. There was no way she will humiliate me ever again. There’s no way she’ll be happier than I am. I took my heels and threw them across the room. I swear I will crush her even if it means getting her killed. For the first time in a long time, I felt tears flow down my face.

 

***

 

[ Kevin’s POV ]

 

Alright… So only 3 people failed my exam this month. Not bad, I wrote on the chart and compared it to the other teachers. Proud, I smiled and praised myself; I’m not bad for a rookie teacher, I told myself, charting down all the results slowly. I packed everything into my bag and walked towards the door, leaving the teacher’s room.

 

“Kevin!” I turned around and face Mr.Erian, the English teacher that teaches the same group of students that I do.

 

“What’s up?” I smiled back at him, pulling the strap of the bag over my shoulder.

 

“I just wanted to ask you a question.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“You do know that… a student-teacher relationship is prohibited. In fact, the Ministry of Education could easily cut your license.” He explained, it felt more of a warning than an explanation. I felt my whole body stiffen. I exhaled slowly and smiled: “Yes, of course I do.”

He smiled back at patted my shoulder, approaching his head close to my ear: “Oh. I’m also known as Erian Kim. Hyuna’s older brother.” Again, I tensed as he patted my back once more and added a few more hands that angered me. I would have punched him right there if there wasn’t any cameras. “One wrong move, I’ll make sure I’ll give ______ a warm greeting. If you know what I mean.”

 

He moved away and smirked, sitting back in his seat. The only thing on my mind was _____. Make sure she’s okay. I stormed out of the room, tapping on my phone vigorously:

 

“_____, wru? –Kevin”

 

I kept walking, peeking into every homeroom, searching for _____. Slowly, I started noticing at each homeroom that was empty my pace started to quicken. At the last homeroom in this hallway, I was practically running. I halted and took a deep breath of fresh air. Kevin, you’re probably overreacting. Erian was probably just trying to get to you, he was just warning you. He probably didn’t do anything. I checked my phone, and stared at the empty screen. Why aren’t you answering? I stared at the dangled red ribbon attached to my phone. Dammit. I tapped on my phone again:

“Yah, _______. When you get these, text me back, alright? – Kevin “

 

I ran down the hallway to the next dark hallway and scanned the area once again, this time my heart started to pound roughly as the frustration got to my head. . I ruffled my hair and stood in the middle of the dark hallway, out of breath.

 

“If you’re just ignoring me, I swear you’ll never hear the end of it when I get home, you pabo. –Kevin”

 

Is she trying to ignore me or something? Damn—Wait. I stood there quietly, muffling out my thoughts and tried listening… I closed my eyes and tried to keep a peaceful state of mind. My eyes fluttered open: Sobbing. I hear sobbing. Without my own control, I started to lunge towards the direction where the sobbing started to gradually ring through my ears. _____. They hurt her, I snapped in my mind. They hurt her. I halted. I opened the door.

 

“Hy-Hyuna?” I asked quite roughly. I was in relief yet I felt bothered of the fact that not only it was Hyuna but.. the fact she was crying. A girl should never shed her tears, it’s far too precious. I crouched down and stared at her. I tried reaching for her hand, suddenly she slapped it away and yelled:

“What the hell do you want?”

 

I fell backwards and stared at her, shocked of the sudden yell. Vibe. Vibe. Vibe.

 

“Sorry that I didn’t answer back. I just don’t feel well. I’m at the library. – Irritating”

 

I sighed and had the urge to go to the library to check on _____. Wait. “I just don’t feel well.” Did Erian… Sobbing interrupted my thoughts, I stared at Hyuna, a Hyuna that I barely recognized. She wasn’t the sinister Hyuna, in fact she actually looks like she has a heart. But remember Kevin, this is the reason why you’re in such a bind. I close my eyes shut and patted her back.

 

“I said go away!” She yelled, this time she stood up, walking towards the door. She halted at the door and turned back to face me. “What do you see in ______?”

 

I got up and faced her, displaying no emotion. “Why do you want to know? So then you could crush her? So you could hurt her?”

 

She chuckled as she wiped her tears with her small soft hands. She stared at the clouds through the window and muttered:

 

“_____, to me, is a burden.”

 

..B-Burden?

“I’ve known her ever since I was young, probably 4-5 years old. We were inseparable. I lost my father due to cancer and was left in the hands of my step-mother. _____ was the perfect child, to my mother, to everyone around her, she was bubbly, polite and cute. I was her shadow. She humiliated me in front of my friends, in front of my family.” She slammed her hand against the locker, I winced and stared at her. A sinister smile formed on her face.  “She stole my family away from me. And she stole Eli away from me.”

 

My eyes widened; E-Eli? What?

 

“I knew Eli ever since even before _____ told me that she liked him back then. My step mother went to school with his father back then, so we’d see each other from time to time. After ____ told me that she liked Eli, I just… I went to ask him secretly if he remembered me. But instead of answering me back, he asked me for _____’s name and what she liked as a gift.” She slammed the side of the wall and continued: “And if I were you. You’d better get _____ before Eli is completely brainwashed by her stupid personality. Once _____ and Eli are sure about each other.” She raised her hand and playfully waved bye at me. “It’s going to be bye, bye Kevin. No more luck for you. And none for me.”

 

“Are you telling me you were using me all this time? And you always knew that Eli was the boy that ____ liked…” I snapped, pointing at her, gripping tightly onto my bag.

 

“The truth hurts and there was no way I’d forget who Eli is. There was no way I’d forget his smile. “She glared at me. “You are still my puppet and that’s where you come in. I was hoping _____ would become jealous but I was wrong. It seems like she was after Eli this whole time. She used you.”

 

“What?”

 

“She used you. I mean, she probably knew all this time that Eli was the same boy back then. She brought you here to get him.”

 

I snickered at her comment. We all know that’s a lie. We all know why I’m here. I touched my tattoo and stared at Hyuna who was crushing a piece of paper between her fingers. She didn’t know that Eli was him. I saw her reaction. Sh..She didn’t know. Hyuna’s lying. She’s lying.

 

“I’m not helping you.” I scoffed as her dark almond eyes furrowed as I rejected her.

 

“You love _____, don’t you?”

 

… I felt my heart pound rhythmically, a beautiful song. I was speechless when she mentioned her name. I couldn’t explain it. But… if I lied to Hyuna, she would know. She may be dumb when it comes to writing in hangul but she was cunning and intelligent enough to know when a lie has been said.

 

“I love her.” I whispered quietly, looking away.

 

“Then you better do what I say. Or I’ll crush every happiness she has experienced up to now.” Hyuna smiled, digging her nails into her arm.

 

“What do I have to do?”

 

“Take Eli away from her.” She snapped.

 

“I can’t do that. She loves him. Eli loves her. You can’t ruin their relationship, Hyuna. You can’t just play with people’s hearts, it’s inhuman, it’s crue—“

 

“Says the person that played with ______.” Hyuna scowled. “She loves you. Not Eli. She’s unsure of her feelings and I can feel it. She could be yours. You just have to help me. She’s in love with you, she’s just blinded by Eli. She doesn’t know what she’s feeling for you, and you have to bring that out. Do you want to live with your life knowing that she was the one for you and no one else? Do you want to live seeing ____ happy with Eli? The guy you’ll see every day in the practice room, you’ll share your success with. You’ll eventually be his best man in his wedding and marry him off to the woman you love.”

 

“I can’t tell if you’re trying to help me or you’re trying to use me.” I snapped. “I can’t let you, she loves Eli and that’s that.”

 

“So, you’re telling me you love her? And you would do anything to keep that happiness even if it means you suffering? You do know, I won’t stop at getting Eli back and crushing her.”

 

“I love her and by all means I’ll try to stop you even if it means giving up everything I have. I hurt her so many times, I don’t deserve her. The only way I could forgive myself and repay all the times I’ve been rude to her is by stopping whatever you’re going to do.” I approached her roughly and glared at her. “So, try me.”

 

[ Your POV ]

 

Sheesh. He sent like three text messages. I walked down the hallway and heard constant gimmicking. I stared at the locker room door and heard… was that Kevin’s voice? Suddenly a door flung open, Kevin and Hyuna walked out together from the locker room.

 

“A..Ah.” I said out loud by accident, I covered my mouth and looked away.

 

“_____.” Kevin called out. “Yah, I tried contacting you like three times…”

 

“Sorry, I wasn’t feeling well so I went to the library, Eli was holding my phone so…” I explained, my hand placed on my stomach. I must have ate something pretty bad, I thought to myself.

 

“With Eli?” Hyuna smirked, staring at Kevin.

 

“Oh.” Kevin half-smiled.

 

“Anyways, what did you want? Is there something the matter? Are you feeling light-headed?” I asked, he knew when I meant light-headed I meant if whether or not he felt weak from the star. There was still 7 hours left but recently, he has been growing tired easily.

 

“N-No.” He stuttered.

 

“Oh.. I guess I better get back to Eli, he didn’t know I left, he fell asleep.” I laughed awkwardly. “I’ll see you later, alright Eli? Uh. I mean. Kevin-sshi?”

 

I could have sworn I saw him smirk and scoff; “Yeah, see you.” I stared at him and walked the opposite way, heading back to Eli who’s probably snoring his life away. I felt two cold stares at the back, but I didn’t even bother looking back. Just keep walking, _____.

 

[ Kevin’s POV ]

 

“If you love someone, you would do anything for their happiness even if it means you will be in perpetual suffering. “ I explained to Hyuna. Hyuna stared at me and I knew she completely ignored what I had to say.

 

“It’s not going to change anything.” Hyuna left. “I’m not going down the same road as you are.”

 

I sunk and sat on the steps.

 

What will you do if you’re stuck between the person you love and your best friend?

Simple: Let them be. And do anything to keep them happy because that’s what friends are for.

Even if it means, you will always be there to witness every single drop of happiness they will encounter: Double dates. Engagement. Eventually marriage and having a family.

 

Hmph. She’s only 17 years old and you’re thinking way ahead into the future, Kevin.

 

“Maybe, because she is your future.”

 

I got up abruptly and stared at the side of the wall.

 

“R-Ren.”

 

“It’s been awhile, Kevin. We have quite a problem..”

 

Out of all times, now? Now, what!