Confessions & A Promise

Dazzling Wish

 

[ Kevin’s POV ]

I walked up to the front door and opened it as I shifted the house key. Entering the warm home, I knocked off my shoes off my feet and stared at the mirror. Tsk, I stared at the stardust on my left shoulder. True me…eh? I stared at the ground and remember what Ren has told me specifically of our problematic situation:

       You have to kiss her … on the lips. Her wish was a shot at love and now she’s with Eli. It was supposed to be, specifically, you. No one else. Or you’ll disappear.

I can’t just kiss her. I mean… I would but I just can’t. I can’t bear the thought of kissing someone who has its heart taken by another, you know what I mean? I shook my head and stared at the mirror once again. But back there, that was the true me, my true feelings. I…

“Kevin!”

I turned my vision to the staircase as I watched _____ walk down lazily with her hair in a bun and her baggy jersey shirt. I chuckled at the sight and stared at the mirror quickly to check how I look. I nodded at my reflection, thinking of the true Kevin, and walked up the few steps, meeting _____ halfway. She smiled sleepily towards me and asked:

“You went out after school?” She yawned, covering once she concluded her sentence.

I nodded and watched her take off the elastic that tied her hair together, her long hair flowed down to her shoulders, causing me to shiver. This girl…she’s something else, I told myself. I smiled at her and asked her the same.

“You went out after school also?”

She nodded and started walking down the stairs, passing me. I followed her to kitchen where she took out two glasses and filled them with warm milk. She always knew that after a long day at school, I could never go back to sleep easily without a warm glass of milk. It’s only been 1 month and a half and she knew at least this much about me. I guess that’s all I could ask for… I sipped onto the glass cup and stared at her fiddle with her thumbs, twirling her hair.

“What’s up with you?” I asked, lifting my cup to my lips once more.

“Can I ask you a question?” She stared at me, gripping onto her glass quite tightly. Was she nervous, I asked myself.  I nodded in response and waited patiently as she formulated the words in her mind. “It’s about Eli.” I composed a calm state of mind as I felt my heart sink dramatically. I maintained a good posture and gestured her to continue along with her question. She probably wants some advice… I placed the cup back down onto the table and waited.

“What is it?”

“Do… Do you think that he and I will be okay? I mean, how does it seem between Eli and I?” She asked, fiddling with her fingers, her beautiful almond eyes looking deep into my own. How do I answer this, I asked myself. I cleared my throat and told her:

“Like every relationship, you have to start small. Doubts kill a relationship. But in my opinion, I believe you and Eli are meant for each other. You two are perfect, you suit each other. He’s a good man.”

She stared back at me quietly and just smiled.

[ Your POV ]

I knew it was a mistake doubting Eli, even Kevin agrees that he’s a good man. I stared at Kevin sip onto his glass of milk once more, his eyes still kept locked onto my own. I smiled quietly and just kept nodding. I wouldn’t say Eli and I are perfect, I mean…

"Well? What is it?" Kevin urged, bringing his chair closer by my side. I stared at him. 

Kevin said that Eli and I are a perfect couple but .. the fact that I can't get Kevin out of my head is bothering me. I'm just hurting myself and will hurt Eli if ... but ugh. I ruffled my hair and stared at a shocked Kevin, unable to understand what was going on. 
I cleared my throat and placed both of my hands on my knees to keep myself feel stable. 

"I.. I don't understand. " I muttered quietly as I studied Kevin's expression. Kevin tilted his head as I looked around the kitchen for an escape. Suddenly, his hand grabbed my wrist:

"What? What is it?" Kevin asked again, this time, softer. 

"I don't understand. I mean.. Yeah, Eli's a good person and he was the first guy I really liked but.. " I trailed off. I have no idea if I should.. I don't know how I feel right now. "Nevermind. I'll just talk to Eli about it. " 

I stared at Kevin who's eyes were indescribable. He was hurt, and I could tell. He likes me, doesn't he? I smiled at him softly and squeezed his wrist. 

"Just tell me, ______. Please." 

I shook my head and put my glass in the sink immediately. For some reason, I couldn't bear looking at him. 

"Do you like me?" 

I turned around and stared at Kevin who was now standing up. He waited for my answer as he gripped onto the chair. My heart started to pound but.. I'm with Eli now, I can't.. 

"Pa-Pardon?" I asked, stupefied and surprised by his sudden question. 

He walked closer and landed his palms on the counter, standing across from me: "Do you like me, ____?" 

"Kevin.." 

"Just answer the question. " 

How do I feel? No, _____, stop it. I smiled at him awkwardly and just shook my head slowly. I sighed and kept my eyes locked onto his. I told him I was going to head upstairs but he blocked my way and asked:

"Does your heart pound as fast as mine whenever I see you?"

I felt my heart race once he asked that question. You know that feeling when you see your crush look back at you with the butterflies in your tummy, yeah, that feeling. I didn't know how to react. I hiccupped out of nervousness. 

"See. You would have answered me quickly if you didn't like me. " He said, staring at me with such charismatic eyes. 

"Sh-shut up. I'm with Eli now. " It felt like I was telling myself that than me telling him. As if I was fighting with myself. 

"Well, okay, fine. All I want to say is that, I like you. But whatever. " He rolled his eyes and drank whatever is left of the milk and placed his glass in the sink. Without even looking back at me, he walked out of my sight, probably heading to his room. 

"What kind of confession was that?" I muttered, staring at the snowy window. I rolled my eyes and decided to turn in. 

[ Kevin's POV ]

I closed the door behind me and let myself fall onto the bed. Pft. Well, that wasn't the kind of confession I was going for. I rolled my eyes and stared at the white ceiling above me and thought about her smile. I smiled radiantly and covered my face with a pillow. This was harder than I thought. Ugh. I heard ______ slowly walk back to her room following with the slam of her door. Is she angry at me? I jumped out of bed and went to her door. I opened it slowly and poked my head through the door. 

"______...?"

I closed the door behind me and watched ______ going through a dark blue box that was stashed in her closet. I sat beside her and took the box. Without any argument, she let me go through the box. 

"Cute. " I muttered, I didn't mean to sound rude but my jealousy just decided to take over. I took the heart-shaped card with my hand and opened it. I read it and asked _____:
"Is this the card that Eli gave you?"

She nodded and took it back:

"He gave this to me at school. And he told me to meet him at Sakura Park but Hyuna was there.. and well, you know the story, don't you?" 

"Yeah, I know. Can I ask you a question?"

"What is it?" She asked softly. 

"Remember that day when I didn't believe you about the wishing upon the star and the fact that I could disappear?” I asked her. She nodded and then I continued. “If that day, you didn’t make it to me and I ended up disappearing… how would you feel?”

She stared at me stupefied, as if I was the here. She suddenly punched my arm and gave out an angered expression that to me, was a mix of anguish and fear. I couldn’t honestly tell why she punched me. I gripped onto my arm and winced; “ Wh-What was that for!?”

“What kind of question was that? What do you think? I..I wouldn’t know what I’d do. If you disappeared… It’ll be a burden to me for the rest of my life, you hear me! I already think all this is my fault, if you disappeared from this earth, that would mean you erased from everyone’s memory, from your family’s memory, your friends’, your KISSME’s and.. me.” She stared at the ground sadly and covered her face with frustration. She stared back at me and suddenly, wrapped her arms around me. “You’re special to me, despite your stupidity and rudeness. You’re probably one of the closest friends I have right now…”

Frozen from her sudden hug, I slowly made my way to her hair and it, as she squeezed tighter. Aish, this girl… I smiled and hugged her back, this time, hoping it would last forever. Although, I knew this hug was just as friends… nothing more than that. About to let go, I felt a soft peck on the side of my neck, I pulled away and placed my hand on my neck, staring at her.

“Not much time left…” She whispered, getting up from the floor.

“Hey.”

She looked back down towards me and tilted her head in question.

“Be good to Eli alright? And whatever happens to me, it’s not your fault, you hear me? You didn’t ask for this kind of situation. Everything will be alright, baby girl.”

[Your POV]

B-Baby girl? I’ve been called “Baby” by Eli before but this time from Kevin, it felt different. I smiled at him and nodded my head. Everything will be just fine, I told myself. Once these two weeks is over, Kevin could happily go back to Korea and live happily without the worry of disappearing. I hope we could stay friends even though we’d be distanced apart. Despite his arrogant side, he’s still Kevin, and I wouldn’t ask for more. 

“You’re right. Hey, Kevin…” I stared at him. “After that tattoo is finally sealed away, we will always stay friends, right?”

[Kevin’s POV]

“Of course. We will always be friends, no matter what.”

I felt my heart sink as I lied. I would have wished that after these two weeks, I’d still be able to be by her side but I guess that for her happiness, it would be impossible. Even if it means, seeing her get married to Eli, I don’t care, cause I will always stick by her side through thick and thin.

“So… even if you’re in Korea, we’ll keep in touch right? I mean..”

I got up and placed my hand on her head, patting her head playfully. She stared back at me with a pout and shook her head, removing my hand.

“No matter what, you will always be on my mind. We will stay friends through thick and thin. But promise me, that even if I do something that’ll upset you, you’ll forgive me and live on like nothing happened.”

She stared at me weirdly then shook her head, replacing it with a smile.

“Promise!” She pinky-promised.

 

If only you knew…  I smiled at her, as if nothing was going to happen to me.