Quivering Breath

Dazzling Wish

 

I stayed in place, still fiddling with my hands. My breathing started to quiver as the nervousness started to get to my head. I looked around and untied the ribbon, planning to put it back on the rack. But his large hand stopped me; he grabbed my wrist and took the ribbon from my hand lightly. 
His eyes met with mine and he smiled, he placed the ribbon on his hand and squeezed it tightly.

“I’ll buy it for you. ” He quietly said, his arms extended, tying the ribbon back around my ponytail. Looking down, I felt his warmth. “Is it really you? I mea—”

“I know it’s hard to believe. ” I looked back at him. I placed my hand on his arm. ” I can prove it. “

My hand extended and touched the onyx chain that I’ve given him ten years ago. The memories came back in a flash, the happiness that crushed into sadness. But, now it’s different, right?

“I gave you this. Well, I was planning to give you this necklace when you asked me to meet you at Sakura Park at four pm. You were volunteering at my gym class for extra credit. And you gave me that hear—-”

Suddenly, two huge arms caressed me from the front. I couldn’t budge. Eli’s breathing started to quicken as my arms patted his back slowly. I felt warm and safe. All the sadness I had as a burden was just forgotten. As the embrace tightened, I felt his quivering breath tickle my neck. I whined a bit for a plead of air. Eli, I pleaded in my mind, unable to say a word.

“I’m sorry. ”

He pulled away and brought me outside of the store, heading outside. 
I didn’t bother saying a word and followed him. A few minutes later, we found each other at the very spot I found Hyuna and Eli together; Sakura Park. With a sudden movement, he twirled me around and sat me down on a wooden bench.

“I’m really sorry. ” He couldn’t look at me, but I felt his hand intertwine with my own. He squeezed it tightly and let go. “It was a misunderstanding… Even up to this day, I can’t even.. I told myself I wouldn’t be able to face the girl I’ve heartbroken and here we are. ____. Wow. This.. This is amazing, I…”

I smiled softly and ruffled his hair playfully. I layed my back on the wooden bench and enjoyed the cold breeze. Too bad, the Sakura blossoms hasn’t bloomed yet. Then again, we’re still in December.

“You’re not weird by the way. ”

My eyes widened and my heart skipped a beat.

“Pardon?”

“You’re not weird like they say. You’re different, yes, but in a good way. You’re … beautiful. ” He smiled, his arm on the edge of the bench, right behind my shoulders.

I stared at my knees and for some reason, my heart still felt empty. Why is that? I placed my hand on my chest and I stared at the ground once again.

“You alright?” Eli asked, concerned.

I nodded quickly and pulled a strand of hair behind my ear, my ears started to sting as the cold pierced through. Brr, I trembled. I knew I was missing something, my hand searched for my scarf. I wonder if he knows that Hyuna is the same girl that took him away from me. I shook my head and had a picture of Kevin and Hyuna, together. That isn’t reason why my heart still hurts… right? I mean, even if Hyuna is as cold as ice, she still deserves someone to love her. And she has that person. Kevin.

“Let me bring you home. ” Eli whispered, his hand still intertwined with my own.

I smiled at him and squeezed his hand, before letting go.

“Yeah, I’d like that.”

***

As we approached the front door, I felt two colossal arms wrap around my waist from the back. Warmth rushed through me. My eyes flickered to the window as I saw the curtain move quickly as if someone was staring. My eyes stayed glued to the window until Eli twirled me around elegantly. He smiled a bright smile, the same smile I fell in love with.

“Do I get to see you again?” He asked, half-smile.

I nodded bashfully and pulled my hair to the side. I looked at him, how can such a muscular person carry such a soft heart and twirl me so carefully? Before I could get to the door, his arms stayed in place, preventing me from moving.

“As a date? That is. ” He smirked.

I stared at him, shocked. I didn’t know what to say. Even if it wasn’t the first time he asked me out, my heart still beated so fast. But what is that void I feel? Maybe, I’m just not ready. I smiled at him sadly and told him softly;

“I.. I’m not ready to date anybody yet. ” I placed my hand on his arm. ” I’m sorry. And plus, I haven’t really gotten to know you … Just give me time?” I asked, pouting my lips.

He nodded and smiled, letting go.

“Alright, I understand. Take care, _____. “

I nodded and waved, closing the door behind me. As the door shut, I closed my eyes and smiled brightly. Yes! I yelled out loud, then shocked by the tall lean figure standing right in front of me.

“Someone’s happy. ” He muttered.

I stared at Kevin, with his arms crossed. He looked like a spoiled kid, I thought to myself. Hasn’t he got the message? No more interfering with each other’s lives. I sighed out loud and told him softly;

“I thought I said we shouldn’t interfere with each other’s lives anymore. “

I kicked off my shoes and walked past him, but failed. His hand gripped tightly on my arm, pulling me back in front of him. My eyes glared at his hand and back to his face.

“One question. So it’s official?”

“What is?” I asked, lost.

“We’re just going to ignore each other’s presence and only talk to each other or whatever, whenever you need to reset my timer?”

I nodded quickly, staring at his expression. I couldn’t read his dark expression. But what I knew for sure, was that it didn’t belong to a happy angel. Was he upset?

“Fine. Whatever. Are you just upset because I was with Hyuna?” He snapped, his grip even tighter.

“No. I just figured that… I’m more of a burden to you than anything else. So, I’ll back away to not cause you any trouble. ” I muttered quietly, pulling my arm away. As I was walking away, he muttered;

“Well. It’s too late. “

I halted and turned around to face him.

“What do you mean?” I muttered.

“I have a teacher meeting. ” He growled, sick of my attitude.

I shrugged and snapped back rudely;
“So? Why is that MY problem?”

“It’s in Montreal. “

I coughed, as the sudden shock got to my head, my throat itching. I held my chest to calm myself down. My widened eyes shot a concerned look toward Kevin.

“What?” I yelled, approaching the fallen angel.

“3 days, 2 nights. It’s supposed to be a small teacher outing to enhance our teaching abilities. ” He explained, sitting on the arm rest of the sofa.

“Why does it involve you? You’re only a teacher for like a month. ” I retorted, upset.

He shrugged and smirked, that mad my heart skip a beat. Gulp.

“Start packing. We’re leaving tomorrow morning at school. “

I grabbed his arm before he could turn away. I sighed heavily and asked the most important question that he has not looked into.

“And how will you explain me, a student, coming along with you, a teacher, to this outing? Where will I be sleeping? Huh? And my parents are coming home in a few days too. Not everything is that easy, Sunghyun-sshi.” I growled.

“Well, true. I’m not that easy either.” Kevin says jokingly, dancing to ManManHani. Once his dancing was over, he smiles jokingly, trying to get me a smile. I puffed my cheeks angrily back at him and crossed my arms, showing him that I am certainly not amused. “Sheesh, sorry for trying to make you feel better.”

I stared back at him and just stared. This guy is ridiculous, I thought to myself.

“Kevin. We seriously need to solve this.”

He rises both of his hands and surrenders, repeating: Okay, over and over again to calm me down. He sits down on the couch and starts to pat his lips with his fingers, in deep thought. Hopefully, for something useful and nothing stupid, I sighed heavily and sat beside him.

“Why don’t you say you want to be a teacher in the future and really want to learn the basics?” He suggested, tilting his head.

“… Sounds odd.” I said, still upset. “But whatever. We’ll  see tomorrow. I guess I better start packing.”

***

“I can’t believe they believed me.” I growled quietly, beside the sleepy Kevin. I looked around the large bus, surrounded by numerous teachers. And I’m here, the only student, who wishes to become some teacher. Psh. Teacher, my bum.

“Shh. I’m trying to sleep, Ms.Kim.” Kevin growled quietly, his eyes closed, squirming around, trying to look for a nice comfortable spot. “So, be quiet.”

I stared at my Korean “teacher” and glared. What a jerk. Angrily, I shifted my body and stared out the large tinted window. Large tress passing by quickly as the bus speeded through the free highway. Sigh. I can’t believe I’m going to Montreal. Where am I going to sleep? In a hotel room… by myself? Will someone catch us when I reset his timer? Oh god. Imagine? That would not only be bad and degrading for me but what about Kevin-sshi? He’s.. KissMes are going to get angry. For sure, the news will get to Korea and that’s it. I looked back at the sleepy Kevin and shook my head slowly. I looked back at my watch: 3 more hours of driving. I might as well, sleep. I closed my eyes and instantly snoozed off.

***

[ Kevin’s POV ]

“Get up. We’re here.” I shook _____’s arm lightly. “Yah, _____.”

I stared at _____ who is sitting down, sleeping quietly. Her long curls flowed down to her sleeping face. She looks like an angel, I thought to myself. The angel and the devil. I thought of Hyuna immediately, sending chills down my spine. I shook my head violently and shook _____’s arm again, earning a soft groan from her.

“Five more minutes.” She mumbled sleepily, pulling her hood over her head.

“No five minutes, ____. Get up. Now.” I growled, tugging her ear roughly. She glared a sleepy glare quickly and whined at the pain. Her small hand massaged her earlobe, her eyes sleepily gazing around the large bus. “Let’s go.” I grabbed her bags and waked down the narrow aisle.

I tugged my sleeves to my hands, avoiding the abrupt winds of the snow. Damn. Montreal is really cold, I shivered. I looked back to see if Ms.Nuisance is following me. Stumbling, _____ hops off the bus and almost trips into a bank of snow. I chuckled lightly and just smiled, turning away, leading the way to the Hotel.

The hotel was magnificent, that was the first comment I said once I entered the Andre-Landroux Hotel. The floor tiles shimmered under the large sparkling chandeliers. Immense columns ran through the large hallway, doors as tall as the columns, absolutely magnificent, I thought to myself. Wow, my eyes widened in awe. Interrupting my awe moment, my phone vibed. Who could that be? I growled silently.

“Hey! Kevin! So… what you told me yesterday about you and _____ going to Montreal.. How long will it be? – Pigeon”

I stared at the text and rolled my eyes. My eyes flickered to the _____, the girl who is lazily following me. Hah, I smiled and just shook my head.

“3 days, 2 nights.”

My eyes scanned the doors, looking for _____’s room first. 525. 525. 525. Ah! There it is! I turned around to let ____ know but then all I see is a small young figure, laying down on the large sofas. I chuckled and approached her quietly.

“Yah. Get up.” I poked her head with her handbag. “Get up. I found your room. Get your bumbum up and go to your room. I’m freaking sleepy. YAH!”

She looked back up sleepily and looked around. “Where are the other teachers?” She asked, almost whispering.

“Went to sleep. I mean, it’s really early.” I looked at the watch: 3:44am.

“Perfect.” She mumbled lazily, her eyes barely open.  She rubbed her eyes softly. “We need to reset your timer…You have 20 minutes left, Kevin-sshi.”

I stared at her, shocked. “YAH! I COULD HAVE DISAPPEARED IF YOU HAVEN’T WOKEN UP EARLIER!” I yelled, then covered my mouth. . The other teachers. I gulped and cleared my throat. I stared back at _____, who probably didn’t hear a word I just said, her head lazily leaning against the sofa’s armrest. I sighed heavily and crossed my arms.

“Fine. Stay here.” I ordered harshly. Quick pace, I grabbed ______’s luggage and walked to _____’s room door. Swiftly, I slid the black plastic card onto the sensor which triggered a satisfying click, permitting me to enter the large vast rooms.  The fresh air of the room breezed through; I sighed and inhaled the fresh scent, I dumped her luggage onto the bed, covered by duvet, and rushed outside quickly, 10 more minutes til I freaking disappear. Damnit, _____.

I shook her arm, waking her up. “Get up. You need to reset my timer. Let’s go!” I shook her, but she lazily leaned back against the sofa. . This girl is really trying to kill me, isn’t she? I layed my hand on the bottom of her head and pushed her head abruptly, a loud groan of frustration escaped her red lips.

“Fine. Where to?” She asked, yawning.

“My room.” I said, leading the way, down the bright hallway. I felt two frozen eyes staring my way. “Don’t worry, god. Freak, man. Like you said, no interfering, only for the timer and that’s all.” I grabbed her wrist and dragged her down to 537.

I opened my door and I felt _____ suddenly tremble, almost frightened. I closed the door behind me and threw my bag onto the Queen-Sized duvet bed, kicking my shoes to the side. I walked to the bed and sat on the edge, pulling my tie off. I glared at _____ who was rubbing her wrist, her cheeks flaring a blush of bright red. I chuckled quietly and felt another vibe.

“Oh.. T__T Thanks for leaving me, Kevin! Tell _____ I said Hi, araso? – Pigeon”

I rolled my eyes and threw my phone towards the leather sofa, _____ shocked started to approach me as I gestured her to come.

“Who was that?” She asked.

“Some girl.” I lied, grumbling. I pulled off my tie quickly and started ing my white dress shirt. I looked up at _____ and smirked, as her eyes widened. “Are you jealous?”

She glared at me sleepily and rubbed her eyes. “Just shut up and let’s get this over with.” She yawned, covering cutely. She’s so cute—Oh god. Shut up, Kevin. She sat down beside me and waited.

“There. Go ahead.” I pointed and poked onto my neck and stared at _____ hesitate.

She shook her head and walked to the other side of my neck.

“What’s the difference?” I muttered, my neck, preparing for her red lips.

“There’s a hickey on that side.” She growled sleepily. “I ain’t going to kiss some hickey you got from some bit--- girl.”

I chuckled and smirked, staring at the mirror. Damnit. There’s a hickey. I got to cover that up at tomorrow’s meeting. I placed my hand on the teased area… It was Hyuna that did that, wasn’t it? I shook my head and frowned. I felt two warm lips against my cold skin, my skin glowed less than 2 seconds, regaining my strength. I sighed in relief and stared at _____’s watch. A fresh 24 hours.

“There. “ She yawned, covering with her red scarf.

“Thanks.” I muttered, the area she has kissed, my heart beating a bit more quickly than usual. I’m so confused. There’s Hyuna and there’s her. Hyuna, she’s just absolutely … hot and she’s willing to change for me, and that’s.. that made me fall for her. Do I love her? Does she love me? But… _____. I can’t stand it when she’s with Eli. I shook my head and groaned in frustration. “Okay, you can leave n—“ I stared at _____, who has fallen asleep on my bed. Her soft snoring filled the room. I chuckled and got off from the bed and stretched in frustration. This girl. Causing me to almost disappear then now.. now taking my bed. I’m freaking exhausted. I lifted a fist and slowly calmed myself, lowering my balled hand. Calm down, Kevin. You got mad at her one, just.. just let it be. My eyes flickered back at her sleepily, I stretched and listened to ______’s soft mumbles and soft heavenly snores. I approached her frail body and sat on the edge of the bed, sitting beside her waist. Uncontrollably, my breathing started to quiver.

“You’re such a nuisance.” I whispered softly. My hand unintentionally patted her waist and left it there. My breath started to quiver even more, my hands trembling. I closed my eyes shut tightly and shook my head. I got up and paced around my room, if I hadn’t got up... what would have I done?

What’s going to happen between you and I? It’s evident that these 2 months aren’t enough.

My eyes stayed glued onto _____. I approached her again, this time inches closer from before, trembling. A feeling that is absolutely indescribable.

Don’t make me choose, ______. You’re already such a nuisance.”

I smirked.