Behind Closed Doors

Dazzling Wish

 

I walked outside to the terrace for a breather and found Ren staring at the sky; I closed the door behind me as Kevin's soft snores filled his bedroom. 

"Hey Ren." I whispered, watching him silently turn his head towards me, nodding his head.

"Hey." He said, monotone. I knew he was angry with what I had said earlier back at the Star realm. Telling him that he shouldn't call himself a close friend for lying to me. But I knew he didn't know himself. I shook my head in shame and sat beside him. 

"Hey.. Ren. I'm sorry about what I've said. You know the fact that.. about.."

He got up and patted the back of his pants as he lifted his body off the cold floor of the terrace. 

"You know.. I thought we lost Kevin too. He's not just a friend but a close friend. You're my close friend too. If I knew he was there, I would have told you. The tears you've cried.. I couldn't take it.. In fact.." He looked up and stared back at me a serious expression. "I started to.."

"To?" I looked back at Ren. 

"To like you." Ren whispered, looking back at the sky. You know the feeling when you're taken aback and you want to say something but it's as if someone is choking out the air out of you, silencing you? Yeah. That's how I felt. I didn't know what to say. Ren stared back at me for a response but I forgot he could read my mind. He smiled and sat back down as if he said nothing. 

"Oh well. There's a law prohibiting Starlites to ... fall in love with a human anyways. If they find out, they strip me out of all the power that I have, better yet, banished from the realm. Who wants that?" He snickered and smiled as nothing happened. Without knowing, my hand went across his face. His pale cheek turned into a bright pink. 

"Idiot. " I growled. "Don't fall in love with someone like me. Haven't you seen the pain I've caused Kevin.. and Eli."

His hand hugged his own cheek as he stared back, expressionless. Ren let out a small chuckle while he ran his fingers through his starlit hair. "I know. I'm a fool. It's not hard to figure out why they wouldn't chase after a girl like you. " He coughed and shook his head; "Don't worry. You belong to Kevin. Plus! I'm not done granting wishes. There's no way I'll fall in love with a human and leave the power of youth and stars. " He closed one eye and stared with the other. 

I smiled at him and patted his back; "Okay. Okay.. Ren. Thanks. "

He nodded and got up to leave. In fact, more like poofed. But I could have sworn, a hint of sadness tainted his beautiful lit eyes. What a fool to like an idiot like me. 

***

My hand soaked the face cloth with warm water. Twisting it, drips of water splattered in the bucket of water. Slowly and carefully, I placed the neatly-folded cloth onto Kevin's forehead. His closed eyes cringed as the coldness of my fingers came in contact with his fair skin. 

"Sorry." I whispered. His long lashes fluttered as his eyes let in the light of morning. "Morning, sleeping beauty." I let out, jokingly. He smiled and his hand made its way to the cloth. 

"Keep it. " I ordered him, moving his hand away from his forehead, his hand caught mine and he whispered huskily;

"______. Can you get me the phone?"

"Phone?" I tilted my head in question. "If you're going to call in sick at school, I already did and.."

"No. And I'm sure you did, you always take care of me. Haha. I just want to call someone." He let go of my hand.

I nodded and rushed down the stairs. Phone.. hm. I gripped onto the white phone and ran back to Kevin, handing it to him. 

"Thanks." He whispered. I smiled and sat on the end of his bed as he dialed a long number. The irritating beeps of the dial was pretty loud, almost pushing me to ask him who he was going to call. But that's his business. Not yours. Before pressing 'talk', he looked at me in silence and I got the message: Leave. 

I nodded and left the room quickly. Sigh. I wonder who he's calling. Stupidly, I pressed my ear onto the cold surface of his door. 

"Hey... It's m-... Kevin." I could barely make out the words as he spoke groggily due to his slight fever. "I.. yeah. Already bo--- it. I'll be there in a few.. days. Yeah. There's nothing left here for m.. n... See you. Y.. " Then everything else went inaudible. What was that about? I pressed harder onto the door until I heard footsteps. ! I took the vase beside me and stared at it as I held it with both hands. 

"What.. are you doing?" Kevin whispered, wondering what I was possibly doing with the red vase. 

"Huh. I.. I thought there was a bug."

"You were planning to kill it with a vase?" He raised an eyebrow. 

"Closest thing to use?" I laughed awkwardly. He raised an eyebrow and walked towards the bathroom;

"I'm going to shower.." He muttered, coughing, trying to clear his throat. 

"Kevin. It's best if you just res--"

"Don't tell me what to do!" He yelled roughly. Taken aback, I moved a step backwards and stared at him, shocked and hurt. He averted his eyes away and muttered; "Sorry. I just..." Silence filled the atmosphere, there was a tension amongst the air. 

I cleared my throat and felt a bit angered, frustrated. 

"Whatever." I mumbled. "Go ahead, just make sure you dry your hair right away." I turned away and walked down the stairs, towards the kitchen, leaving Kevin alone at the hallway. 

Kevin sighed and went to take a warm shower, still feeling bad for raising his voice.

***

"Hey." 

I looked up at fresh-scented Kevin, leaning against my bedroom door. He stared back, disappointed. I should be the one disappointed. Why did he have to raise his voice? Pft. I looked back and went back to reading my book. 

"Sorry, for raising my voice at you." Kevin muttered, sitting on the end of my bed. 

"It's fine, I guess. The fever probably got to you... Uhm. Out of curiosity, who were you talking to on the phone?" I placed the book neatly onto my lap and stared at him in question. 

He shook his head, almost frustrated and hesitant. As if he didn't want to tell me. Kevin changed the subject; 

"So, are you going to tell me why I out? Why.. my memory is so fuzzy?" He sat closer, his hand resting on my wrist. 

"Until you stop changing the subject." I growled, pulling my arm away from his hand. His eyebrows furrowed and sighed heavily. 

"It's none of your business." Kevin looked back at me, snapped. "Look. Why, mess with my own affairs? You have enough problems of your own." 

"Pardon? Did you wake up at the wrong side of the bed or something?" I slammed my book close, causing Kevin to back away in shock. "I took care of you when you weren't feeling well and this is how you than--"

"Thank you." He growled, almost sarcastically. What's with him? 

"Y-You are despicable!" I yelled at him. "You have no sympathy when it comes to my feelings, do you?" A small scream got out of my throat when his eyes started to pulse with light. 

"Kevin! Get a hold of yourself!" Ren yelled, coming out of nowhere. He held onto Kevin's shoulders, holding him back. Kevin.. he was about to slap me. My eyes looked at his risen hand, extended, ready to meet my cheek. I gulped and stared back at Kevin, who didn't seem himself. 

"What's wrong with him?" I asked Ren, quivering with fear. 

"He.. Newly-born starlites get easily emotional and act quickly according to the way they feel. Sometimes, physically. It's just for the time-being. Forgive him. Sometimes, newly-born starlites tend to get controlled by their own inner power, because they don't know how to retain it. Which is the reason why they usually go through training with Chanyeol-hyung."

"But.. when Kevin borrowed your power, he was fin--"

“That’s because it was MY power. My energy was tamed ever since I was the age of 5. Dude. We’ve got to get him to Chanyeol. Now. Did you tell him that he’s a starlite?”

“No. I haven’t. But I’m pretty sure he found out since oh, I don’t know. HE’S FREAKING SHINING LIKE A BEACON OF LIGHT.” I took my hand and facepalmed Ren’s own forehead. He pouted and growled. “W-Wait. Yesterday..” I stared at Kevin who was now knocked-out due the fatigue of the sudden surge of energy. “Since Kevin’s a starlite now, does that mean…” … He can’t be with a human. My eyes flickered back to Kevin, who’s not himself at all.

“I don’t know. You’d have to speak with Suho-hyung.” He muttered. “I’ll get him back to the Star Realm. He needs to undergo some training with Chanyeol.”

I nodded and watched Ren and Kevin disappear, leaving behind a ray of light.

[Kevin’s POV]

“I…I slapped her?”I asked Ren, wide-eyed.

He shook his head and reverted back; “No, no. You ALMOST slapped her.” My jaw dropped and then I facepalmed. How could I do that? I can’t lay a finger on her. What’s wrong with me… I stared at my open hand and closed my eyes.

“I guess you realized you’re not exactly human. Anymore.” The young man, I assume he’s Chanyeol, muttered.

I nodded. “It’s not that hard to notice.” I looked at the mirror and stared at the person looking back at me, shining eyes, glowing hair. Hm. “Do I really have to undergo this kind of training?”

“Yeah. If you don’t want to hurt _____.” Chanyeol growled.

I scoffed and avoided their stares. I’ve already hurt her enough. The damage was already done. I closed my eyes and pictured her in my head. She doesn’t have to worry about me anymore. No more.

***

[Your POV]

It’s been two days already. I wonder how Kevin’s training going. I haven’t seen him since he left with Ren. My hand gracefully found its way to the star pendant and pressed onto it. Should I tell him what happened between Eli and I? And, what exactly happened with Erian? Should I tell him everything? Ugh, ____, you’re hopeless. I ruffled my hair in frustration and slammed the desk beside me.

“Someone seems… grumpy.”

My eyes flickered to the window and stared at the glowing figure, leaning against the window sill. Kevin, I mouthed. He half-smiled and landed his feet on the wooden floor of my bedroom.

“What’s up with you?” Kevin asked, pushing his bangs away from his eyes. I shook my head and hugged my knees as I sat on the middle of my bed. Nothing, I told him. He rolled his eyes and patted his right temple with his index finger. “You know, I’ll learn how to read minds eventually.” He smiled. I felt myself panic for a second. If he could read my mind, that would be terrible. He laughed as my expression expressed fear and worry. “I’m joking. Ren told me that it isn’t part of my own specific skill set.”

“What exactly IS your skill set?”

“This.” With a snap of his fingers, a harsh light emerged on the palm of his hand. I jumped back a bit in shock but was amazed by the way it dazzled in between his fingers.

“What are you? A performer?” I teased. He growled and shook his head.

“Let’s just say I changed instructors.” Kevin explained. I tilted my head in question. “I changed instructors. Chanyeol  trains those who are in charge of aggressive-attack tactics. My new instructor is Lay now.”

“Lay?” I tried remembering what exactly Lay specialized in but nothing came to mind. Kevin laughed at my cluelessness and explained further;

“Lay is in charge of healing and defense.” Kevin explained. “Apparently, I’m not the kind to attack. I could heal wounds and defend people from harm with a short-term barrier. Apparently, I’m a ‘rare’ case. There aren’t many of our kind. The… ‘healing’ kind.”

“I see.”

“And…” Kevin placed his hand on his neck. “The tattoo disappeared.” His eyes lit with happiness. “It must have disappeared since I turned into a Starlite.. How..How did I transform though..?”

“Uh. Complications with Erian occurred.. It was the only way to get ..” My voice cracked as the horrible memories flashed through my mind. “Get you back to life. You needed to be regenerated. Lay, your new instructor was the one who healed you.” I was still hesitating to tell him the real truth. How Eli and I broke up. How it wasn’t about the wedding banquet. But how Erian got me into the trance and how he almost risked his own life for me. Babo.

“It affected my memory.” Kevin placed his hand on his right temple and seem like he was trying to remember everything. “All I remember was finding your purse on the bathroom floor when Eli and I were looking for you when you got kidnapped by Erian. I remember Hyuna coming in at the wedding banquet..and how… you and Eli looked… great together.”

I wanted to tell him to keep quiet and tell him that I’m not Eli’s girl.

“Kevin.”

He looked up and stared;

“I.. I’m not El—“

Ring. Both of our gazes averted to my bedroom door. Who would doorbell at this time of day? What? “I’ll get it, I’ll get it. Just stay here.”

Kevin nodded and leaned against the backboard of the bed as I rushed down the stairs. “Coming!” I yelled, while running down the stairs. Opening the door, a mailman smiled and handed an envelope.

“Uh. Thanks.” I smiled awkwardly at the mailman as he walked away from the house. I stared at the brown rectangular envelope and was overwhelmed with curiosity. I wonder who would send me mail. Hmm. My hands quickly ripped through the top of the envelope and I poke a little peek inside. Papers.

“Who was that?” Kevin asked from above the stairs.

“Mailman.” I unfolded the paper and read the writing on it. Wh-what.

“Mailman? Wait. _____, that’s for m—“ Kevin came quickly down the stairs and halted as he stared at my distraught face.  My hands gripped onto the papers as I felt my eyes start to water.

“S-Sorry. I thought… I th-thought it was for me.” I trembled, as I handed back the papers to Kevin, without giving him a single glance. Just extending my hand towards him, enough for him to grab the papers but not enough to pull me in whatsoever. I felt the papers escape my hand and his gaze towards the back of my head. “You.. the phone call. You called your manager. You’re going ho-- , you could have told me.” I wiped my eyes quickly and smiled towards him, I know it didn’t fool him.

“____.”

“You could have said you wanted to go back to Korea, I mean. I could have bought you the airplane tickets you know. It was my fault that you got brought here. I could have helped. You didn’t have to ask your manager to send them.. I..” My eyes stuck onto the plane ticket in his hand and his passport in the other. “Were you planning to leave without telling me?”

“No!” Kevin said out loud.

“Then why not tell me anything? Why have it delivered secretly? Not telling me about the phone call?”

“I..” Kevin looked away and sighed. “I didn’t know how to tell you.”

I nodded sadly and wiped the tears that already reached my jaw. I coughed to clear my throat and masked my sadness with a smile. “Well.. I guess it’s about time you seen your friends and family back in Korea. Not to mention UKISS, right?”

“_____.”

“Be sure to keep in touch. I mean we are f-friends, right? Despite our constant bickering and our … confusing.. arguments.” Silence fogged the room as we both just watched each other think of what else to say. Before he could say anything, I beat him to it. “When are you leaving?”

“Next Monday.” He said quietly. Five days from now.

I nodded and felt like I couldn’t breathe. I see.

“Well, it’s for the best, isn’t it? I’m not in your life. And.. you.. not in mine.” With that, I swiftly passed him and went directly for the stairs, heading up to my room. Without noticing, I accidently slammed the door quite harshly that made a startling noise throughout the noise. I could have sworn I heard Kevin swear. It’s for the best. It’s for the best. I kept telling myself.

“It’s for the best… isn’t it?” I whispered, while I slid my back against my bedroom door.

[ Kevin’s POV ]

“. I can’t just let her…” I ran up the stairs to her room and noticed a shadow underneath her door. W..was she sitting against the door? My ear against the door, I tried listening if she was crying or not. I hope she isn’t.. I was planning on telling her sooner. I… There’s nothing left for me here now. I need to go back. ______, it breaks my heart. It really does. You have to understand that.

“_____.” I called out.

She didn’t answer.

Kevin, stop. It’s time to stop going after her. She’d only expect it. She’d only depend on you.. Not even. She has Eli now. I slid against the door as well, and leaned my head against the outside of her bedroom door. As much as I want to stay, I can’t. I feel like I’m doing more damage.

I cleared my throat and told her quietly through the door;

“I have to leave. I.. I want to go home.” I lied. I didn’t want to, knowing that I was leaving you. But I have no choice, now do I. “We’ll keep in touch. I promise.” I got up slowly and walked to my room, closing the door slowly.

I could have sworn.

Behind her closed door, I heard her cry.