Masked Stranger

Club for Two

 

2 months later

            So basically no one showed up. Oh well, it doesn’t matter, since I don’t want to deal with rich brats anyways. Joongki shows up once in a while to help, but all in all, this community service is quiet stuff. I named this club “Operation Toy Box.” The sign was right on the door outside, and it described what the club did.

            As I quietly worked on a stuffed teddy bear, there was a knock, which was unusual for Joongki, who almost never knocked and just barged right in like he owned the place.

            “Hey, Joongki, come over here and help me with this bear. He’s been pretty tough to stitch together.”

            “Joongki? Who’s that?” a playful voice replied.

            Surprised, I looked up, forgetting the complicated knot of stitches I held in my hand. Standing in the doorway was someone I’d never seen before.

            The person was wearing the guy’s uniform, so he was a guy (duh!). He wore a facemask to cover up the bottom half of his face so I could only see his wide eyes. He wore a NY cap to cover up his hair, which was obviously tinted a dark brown. He was lithe and athletic, giving off a particular aura. It was pretty obvious there was a smexy guy under that mask. 

“The restroom’s over that way,” I pointed.

“That’s…not what I’m here for.”

I scratched my head, unsure how to ask this without offending him. Finally I just went for it. “Are you here to join the club, Operation Toy Box?” I asked.

            “Of course I am, or I wouldn’t be here,” he said. Even if I couldn’t see underneath that facemask, I could totally tell he was smirking.

            “Is this a trick?” I asked. It could be. Only girls have bullied me before, but this could be the first guy to bully me. Or could there actually be someone with a compassionate heart in this school?

            His eyes looked hurt. “Of course not,” he said defensively.  I still couldn’t really believe my ears. Was he really here because he wanted to help cancer patients?

            “Why did you join?” I asked him, trying to test out his reasons.

            “Don’t I look sincere to you?” he asked, hurt.

            “No,” I said as I dropped the bomb.

            He took a deep breath. “My mom had cancer. I remember the pain she was in, and how even a little gesture of kindness brought tears of joy in her eyes. I remember that near the end, everyone was too busy to visit her, but she wrote me one last letter. She told me how much she loved me, and even though we couldn’t visit her in the end, the kind children who had given up their time stayed with her. She told me of the joy she felt when they came. It reminded her that people cared for her and that she was thought of. I want to make it up to her, and help those children, give them a spark of joy, and bring happiness back into their lives,” he said sincerely.

That was a lot of pretty words there. Should I trust him not to sabotage this place? I looked at him closely.

            To my surprise, there were huge tears that were forming, and threatening to spill out. Wow. He must either be a really good actor, or a person with a very sad past. I feel for you, man!

            Say what you like about me, but jaded as I am, no girl can resist a guy in tears. And I’m a er when it comes to hot guys, okay? “Fine, you can stay. What’s your name?” I said as I held my hand out. His eyes crinkled with the tears still in there, hinting that he was smiling underneath the mask.

            “Sandeul Lee,” he replied as he accepted my hand. I don’t think that there’s anyone in school named that, and a guy this hot even with a mask on should be popular. How come I’ve never heard of him?

            I handed him the materials for a stuffed teddy bear.  The needle glinted evilly.

            “Don’t kill yourself just because you’re depressed,” I joked. He chuckled.

            “So you’re the infamous Suzy Kim, huh,” he said. Say what? Infamous?

            “Why am I infamous?” I asked.

            “I don’t know. I just heard tiny whispers and stuff about you around the school. How you’re a devil lowlife who has come to invade this school with your dirty mind and stuff.”

            Hot, but insensitive. I sighed. At least watch your words! Do you not have any restraint?

            “Do I look like that to you?” I said, barely keeping my tone even.

            “No. You look like a normal lowlife girl with a soft spot for toys,” he winked. I stared. If I hadn’t stuck around Joongki for so long, I bet I would’ve spazzed out. This guy had winks that rivaled Joongki!

            “Y-yeah. Ok,” I muttered, unable to think of a stronger reply. What the freak, Suzy?! Stay strong!

            “What do you think of us?” Sandeul asked. Hmm…that’s not hard. Let’s see…annoying, rich, prissy, preppy, needs a life, stupid, mean, harsh, bullies…etc. The list goes on. Basically anything that described an airhead tyrant.

            Sandeul apparently saw my expression and chuckled.

            “I’m guessing it’s not a good one?” he asked. You think?

            “O-of course not! Just not something you would expect…hehe…” I laughed nervously.

            “You don’t have to answer the question if you don’t want to,” he suggested.  Maybe I should give him advice on what to do about his rich image? I mean, everyone here sticks out as a wealthy snob.

            “Well, everyone here is just a bit…well…snobby? They flaunt their wealth like it’s nothing. I mean, it’s like their sticking it in my face!” I said. Oh man, I was on a roll. Once I start, it’s hard to stop.

            “Rich people don’t even understand the word compassion! They make fun of the non-high-class, calling us lowlifes! At least we can go outside, ruin our clothes without a care while playing in the park or next to a river, and not have a care about our looks! But no! These people basically are saying I’m rich, pretty, and everything! The world revolves around me, myself, and I! I’m not going to help those in need or those in pain!” I rambled on. Sandeul just stared.

            “You actually think that?” he asked. Psh! I think? I BELIEVE, MAN!!! But I couldn’t tell him that. I’ve already pounded so many things in his head.

            “I’ll see if we can improve our image,” Sandeul said as he looked at his half-formed bear.

            “You want me to help you with that part of the bear you asked about?” he asked.

            “Yeah, sure. Thanks…” I said.

            So we worked in silence for the rest of club period. I could tell that he meant no harm and was kind. He must have pricked his finger more than a dozen times, but never complained. Plus, he fixed the teddy bear that I had been working on for so long. That took some skills, man. I hope he comes back here. This club could use people like him.