An Old Friend

Club for Two

 

Junghwan's POV

I flicked a piece of lint back and forth on my desk. I was at home, and I was supposed to be doing my homework... except that all that was in my head right now was Suzy's face before she ran away. What did I do wrong?! Frustrated, I flicked the lint even further, and it floated off the desk. Great. 

Sighing, I buried my head under my hands and tried to think. 

I can kind of understand why Suzy didn't want to go on a date, but she didn't have to over react and run away like I was a spider! I mean, being who she was, she'd at least tell me to stay in the friend zone! But now, I feel as if she doesn't want to talk to her...ever again. 

No, it can't be! It must be my imagination.

Well, the only way to make sure is to ask Suzy herself.

___________________________________

The next day

I dipped my cap and made sure that the face mask was secure. How long has it been since I've worn this guise? I never thought I'd ever have to be Sandeul again... 

Luckily for me, Suzy usually came to school earlier than most, and she came in through the back door. Most people come through the front, but I guess she just wanted to avoid all those people. I stood awkwardly next to the back entrance, lifting my head up at the occasional passerby. 

Suzy's POV

I kept my gaze trained on the ground as I made my way to the back entrance of the school- mainly because I was tired. I stayed up last night, unable to go to sleep. My mind was buzzing with thoughts of what happened yesterday and why everyone was suddenly giving me flowers.

"Excuse me," I yawned as I tried to make my way around a pair of feet. 

Suddenly, the pair of feet in front of me moved, blocking me front the door and the person they belonged to bumped into me.

"Yah!" I lifted my head. "What's you- Sandeul?"

"Anyeong," Sandeul nodded in greeting. 

A million questions popped up into my head. In fact, it was almost like a nice breather from all the drama going on.

"What have you been doing? How come you don't come to the club anymore? Joongki and I miss you a lot, you know," I bombarded him with questions.

"Omo, Suzy, slow down. I've been a bit... busy. I miss you a lot too," Sandeul chuckled. Was it me, or did it sound just a bit fake? "I heard a rumor, you know. I have a sharp ear, so not many people know this!" Sandeul spoke quickly like he was in the debate club... Maybe he is. "I heard that Junghwan gave you flowers!" 

"Oh, yeah," I shrugged. Just when I thought I could finally get a breath of fresh air- it just turns out Sandeul wanted to hear the story first hand. I felt a bit deflated. I didn't really want to talk about it, but maybe I can sort out my thoughts now that I have someone to talk to. 

"And then I heard he asked you to go on a date and then you ran away?" Sandeul asked.

"I guess you can say that," I winced. "Is he mad?" 

"Well, I happen to be one of Junghwan's friends," Sandeul winked and dipped his cap. "He's a bit depressed." 

"I didn't mean to! I was just really shocked!" 

"So you thought of him like a friend?" Sandeul pushed on. 

"Aren't you a bit curious," I muttered. "Well, considering all the things he put me through, I wouldn't say friend. More like a... hm... slave driver? No, that's not it. Maybe..."

I searched around for a word. I didn't really consider him a friend, and he wasn't a slave driver. He wasn't my brother, but almost like one. I'd say he was in between brother and friend... like a boyfriend. 

... What???

"Maybe what?" Sandeul pressed on.

"Maybe a bully," I flashed a grin to cover up the lie. 

"Oh, jinja?" he seemed to flatten. 

"Sure," I opened the door. "Are you going in?" 

"W-what?" Sandeul looked up from what seemed like a stupor. "Oh, yeah."

"Which class are you in?" I asked as we walked down the hallway. "I barely see you at school. Are you on the fifth floor or something?"

"Huh? How did you know?" Sandeul blinked. 

"Well, I rarely see you," I smiled. "I'll walk you to your room. I haven't talked to you in a long time, and we need to catch up on things."

"Eh? Ah, no, it's okay. I'll walk you to your class instead," Sandeul refused.

"All right then," I answered. "Hey, we have more than five members in our club now! Do you remember when it was only the two of us?" I clucked at the memory. "Now B1A4 is part of the club, which is really surprising. You probably already know that, though, since you're friends with Junghwan. School is going to be over in a few months, so you have to hurry up and come back to the club!" I urged him as I approached my homeroom. 

"I'll drop by if I have the time," Sandeul replied thoughtfully. 

"Well, this is my homeroom. Hope I see you during club time!" I stepped into my homeroom. 

"Wait!" Sandeul's hand shot out and grabbed onto my arm. 

"Yeah?"

He looked around. When he saw there were only three people in the room (all of them asleep or fervently trying to finish their homework), he brought his face close to my ear. Even through his mask, I could feel his hot breath on my ears, and blood rushed to my cheeks. 

"Junghwan wants me to tell you that even though you might see him as a friend, he sees you as someone more that that," he whispered so softly that I could barely hear him.

"C-can you repeat that?" I stuttered, not believing my ears and trying to get my senses straight. 

"Sorry," Sandeul winked as he left, leaving me to stand there at the doorway, rooted to the ground.