Chapter 23

More Than the Air I Breathe

 

“Jaejoong, let me fix your tie.” Joonhee pulled his arm when Jaejoong finished fixing his hair. While she concentrated on his tie, Jaejoong wrapped his hand around her waist and pulled her closer.

 

“Can’t I stay home today?” Jaejoong kissed the tip of her nose. Joonhee looked up while her hands busy fixing the tie and gave him a disapproved look. “You’re sick. Who is going to look after Sarang?” Jaejoong tucked her hair behind her ear. Joonhee had fever since the past few days and it looked like it became worse by day.

 

“I’m okay…” Joonhee coughed a bit. “…just concentrated on your works and don’t worry about me.” She smiled weakly. “How can I when my wife is sick?” He pouted.

 

“I’m okay. Really.” Joonhee said as she finished fixing his tie. “Come downstairs for breakfast.” She pushed Jaejoong lightly but he didn’t budge a bit.

 

“I’m not going anywhere today.” Jaejoong unfixed his tie and placed it back inside the drawer. “Today, you’ll be my patient.” He pulled Joonhee’s arms gently. “Now, go lay on the bed.”

 

“But,” Joonhee tried to speak. “No buts. Go or I’ll carry you on my own.” He ordered his sick wife. Joonhee sighed and walked toward the bed. She felt guilty for delaying his work and now, he had to look after her.

 

“You’re my precious one. I can’t let you do any works with your condition now.” Jaejoong pulled up the bed sheet to warmth her body. “And you might infect Sarang too. I know you don’t want me to worry about you, but please think about our daughter, ne?” He caressed her face. He’s right. Joonhee nodded after thinking for a while.

 

“Sleep tight. I’ll bring in porridge and the medicine later after bathing Sarang.” He stood up. “Don’t want to eat medicine.” Joonhee shook her head. “It’s bitter.” She scrunched her face. She had eaten much medicine after she recovered from the accident before and she hated the smell and the taste of them.

 

“No can do if you want to get better quickly, baby.” Jaejoong winked and walked to Sarang’s crib.

 

***

 

“Your omma is so cute,” Jaejoong talked to his baby daughter. He carefully poured the warm water on Sarang’s back. “You must be good to her, arasso?” Jaejoong then wiped her body with towel.

 

“Is she sleeping already?” Jaejoong carried Sarang out of the bathroom and placed her on the bed, beside Joonhee. Joonhee was sleeping soundly with slightly opened and forming an ‘o’ shape. Jaejoong smiled and proceeded to put on clothes on Sarang.

 

***

 

“Joonhee…” Jaejoong called her name slowly. Joonhee slowly opened her eyes and smiled weakly at him. “Eat some,” Jaejoong helped her to get up. “Is it delicious?” Jaejoong asked her and earned a nod.

 

“Finish.” She smiled and gave Jaejoong the empty bowl. Jaejoong smiled back and took out her medicine. “Told you,” Joonhee pouted and covered her nose. “…don’t want to eat that.” She stared at Jaejoong.

 

“You’re sick, baby…” Jaejoong took her hand and caressed them. Joonhee furrowed at him but soon she smiled a bit.

 

“Jae,” She called his name. “…if I eat these, I can’t feed Sarang.” Jaejoong looked up at her. “The effect is not good for her, you know. But since you insist…” Joonhee took the medicine and a glass of water that Jaejoong had prepared.

 

“No, no!” Jaejoong snatched the medicine from her. “I forgot about that.” Jaejoong bit his lips. “Don’t eat these.” Jaejoong shook his head. “Sorry.” He smiled apologetically. Joonhee smiled back in victory. “Uwaaa…”

 

“Sarang is crying…I’ll go look after her. Sleep well, okay. Don’t worry anything.” Jaejoong got ready to stand up but then Joonhee pulled his arm. “Is the milk enough for now?”

 

“I’ll bring her to you if the milk has finished.” Jaejoong kissed her lips. “For now, rest very well, okay?” Jaejoong said in deepest concern. Joonhee gave him a smile and nodded before letting him go to look after their baby.