Chapter O9

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

“Uh that..." I eyed my open wallet. My smile on the picture showed how I believed so much in what I know now as a myth—true love. That smile was even an alien to me now. That picture has been in my wallet for a long time and I didn't realize it was still there until a moment ago. I've never seen myself so happy and face filled with color. Beside my first love I was in my own happy paradise.

Tao tapped his foot as he anticipated my reply. He seemed so eager to know my relationship with the guy in the picture that he's not willing to drop the topic; he stared at the photo intently. Sweat trickled down my neck, what should I say? Wait why am I even contemplating about this. We're over and done with. Saying Jeremy was just my ex should be as easy as one two three.

"That's my ex boyfriend," the last part of my sentence just came out as a mumble.

His head snapped up. "What?" Tao asked. I assumed that he wouldn't have understood my whisper of an answer. I hung my head low and rubbed my feet against one another.

"My ex boyfriend," I said with a shaky voice. "Please don't make me say that again," I laughed to lift my spirits up—just like how I’ve always kept myself from crying when I talk about Jeremy.

 

Good thing Tao understood why I didn’t sound so enthusiastic. He nodded and closed my wallet. I breathed at ease now that the picture was out of my sight. Tao took his ice cream from me before we began walking down the sidewalk. We both ate our ice creams in silence as none of us found a topic to talk about after that Jeremy thing.

While I was just starting to bite the crunchy cones of my ice cream, Tao had already finished and had crumpled the paper around the cup; tucking it in his jeans’ pocket. Now our walk was just the crunching sound whenever I bit on the orange cone. I roamed my eyes around to keep myself busy and not feeling awkward.

“The guy in the picture…” Tao’s voice was so soft that I had to connect the words in my head to understand what he said. I turned my attention back to him with half of the ice cream cone dangling from my bite. “He’s…just your ex right?”

I scanned the floor where we walked then brought my eyes back on Tao who diverted his eyes somewhere else when it met with mine. “Yeah. Why?” I wondered.

A smile crept on Tao’s side profile face. The setting sun glimmered on his eyes that seemed to smile as well. He bowed his head and I swear there was a low chuckle that came with that cheeky grin. It was so weird that I had to smile as well.

He whispered to himself “Just wanted to make sure,” then he quickened his pace making me question if I heard him correctly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The setting sun had turned the sky into a beautiful shade of orange. Buildings began opening their lights making the city of Beijing more colorful than it was in the morning. Tao wanted to walk me back to my hotel and when I asked him why, he stuttered like a child that he didn’t have anything else to do at home.

I was just looking at the tall buildings when Tao tugged my arm and pulled me between a space made by two buildings. With his back on me I couldn’t see anything, adding the darkness as the two buildings shadowed over us.

“What’s wrong?” I asked trying to tiptoe and look over his shoulder. Tao took a peek outside but immediately backed us both further into the alley.

“Damn they saw us,” Tao said with gritted teeth. The sudden turn of events left me dumbfounded and waiting for answers.

“Who saw us?”

“Those guys that chased us before,” Tao faced his whole body to me.

“Why are we hiding?” I asked rather loudly. My voice echoed causing Tao to place his hands over my mouth. “They saw us and they’re heading towards here but I think they’re still not sure if we are who they think we are,” Tao looked over his shoulder. Just like what he said, there were three long shadows coming closer to the alley.

I pulled his hand away from my mouth. “What are we going to do?” I whispered but it was hard to keep your voice down if you were panicking.

“Who’s there?” The familiar voice of the guy with a creepy mustache boomed through the alley. It sent shivers up my spine. We had nowhere to run and were trapped in a dead end. I’d trade a thousand of my favorite shoes for an escape route right now.

“Bo Mi don’t move okay?” Tao whispered.

“What?”

Tao suddenly drew his face closer to mine—too close. His head tilted at an angle where I could feel the breath of his nose on my right cheek. My heartbeat began racing because one, the bearded man was already checking out the dark alley and two, I could very much see every feature on Tao’s face up close.

Soon enough the three men were close enough to see us. I crossed my fingers hoping whatever Tao’s plan was would work. If not then this heart racing embarrassing moment was just for nothing.

“Oh sorry we didn’t mean to disturb you,” I overheard one of the men speak. So this was Tao's ingenious plan; to make them think that we were just a couple and this kiss would supposedly force them to walk away without interrogeting us. Thankfully this imprudent plan was effective. 

Soon enough, we heard the sound of fading footsteps that has never been so beautiful to my ears. The two of us exhaled deeply when they were finally gone. Though because of that I felt his warm breath on my face again and my instincts told me to push his chest away, which I did.

“Was that necessary?” I exclaimed, cupping my hands over my burning warm cheeks.

“But it worked,” Tao innocently replied.  

“Ugh see you,” I groaned, stomping away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I was tucked under the comforts of the hotel room sheets, I couldn’t bring myself to close my eyes because whenever I did so, I would replay in my thoughts his face that was just inches from mine. The moment when the lining of his lips would appear in my mind would make my eyelids jolt open. I buried my face in my pillow and waited for death to come to me. 

 

 

 

haven't updated in a long while. omg sorry guys. 

went to a trip wtith my family and I'm busy right now with my final exam for the college review. I really need to catch up on some math stuff because math is and forever would be my weakness. This would be the last update for the week. I forced myself to get something out of my head and push that writer's block away because I didn't want to leave this story un-updated for a few more days.

so I'm sorry if the chapter seems very crappy v __ v lol you guys like TaoMi very much don't you? ^^~~

- Kleo ♥