Chapter 16

When you thought I speak Mandarin

No amount of sleeping could suffice for the mental and emotional stress I was feeling right now. Tossing and turning countless times wasn’t doing the job. I was still wide awake, staring at the dimly lit bedroom of my condo. A small light emitted by my bedside clock blinked 2:07, a time when it too early to wash up for my job which was five hours later.

I hid my face under the blanket. Again I tried going back to sleep but then images of Kris would jolt my eyelids wide open. This is so irritating. I haven’t had this much trouble with sleeping for quite some time now. I was enjoying the peaceful slumbers; without having to wake up in the middle of the night. The only difference now was I wasn’t crying when I wake up.

Milk. I needed milk. I got off my bed and went to my refrigerator hoping that I still had a carton of milk. To my dismay though there was an absence of cartons inside.  Going back to bed was my only option but I was really craving for milk. I’d not lay my head on that pillow until I’ve drunk a glass of milk—even if it meant going out to buy one.

 

Seoul was a lot peaceful at 2 am in the morning. The sidewalk was barren from people and the roads hushed as only a few cars and taxis passed by. It seemed like the whole world was still asleep. Walking alone I had nothing else to do than imagine the people sleeping soundly on their own beds. Lucky them.

I got to a convenience store which was open 24/7. Immediately I headed to the large refrigerators where they kept all sorts of drinks. Some energy drinks caught my eye but I wasn’t really eager to become more awake so I kept walking until I saw cartons of milk. I took a carton then directly went to the counter to pay for it. My eyes were still heavy as it asked for some more sleep. Looking at my reflection from the metal counter, I could say that I look horrible.

The carton was placed in a paperbag and I handed my payment. I cradled the paperbag in my arms, feeling the coldness of the milk that seeped through my clothes. It gave me goosebumps.

 “Aish,” I groaned after seeing the rain really pouring hard outside. Good thing I had an umbrella with me when I noticed how there were rain clouds hovering over as I left my condo.

The rain fell in big drops and was really pouring hard. I was lucky to notice those clouds or else I’d be spending the rest of the morning at the convenience store until the rain stops. Though the rain did make the sidewalk a bit slippery and I was making sure that my clumsiness would not triumph again in hurting me.

Just a few corners left till I reach the condo building, I noticed a poor unfortunate male who was drenched under the rain. Even the tree which he hid under was not enough to protect him from the drops of water from the sky.

I pity that person seeing that he was desperately looking around, probably lost. The male looked at my direction and I instantly recognized his face. I’d recognize those black bags under those eyes anywhere. The only question now is what is Tao doing in Korea?

I half ran—still watching my step—to Tao, letting him have shade under my umbrella. But he’s pretty wet already and shivering all over.

“What are you doing under the rain?” I said.

“It started raining while… I was looking for my… friend’s condo building,” Tao’s almost poor Korean was the same as always. He still had that accent indicating that he’s not from around here.

“Where is his condo?”

Tao stared at me blankly then shrugged his shoulders.

“You don’t know where he lives?!”

The rain had change directions as wind accompanied the strong rain. My shoulder was already damp and so was my back. The umbrella was too small for the two of us and it looks like the rain isn’t stopping any time sooner.

We had no idea where Tao’s friend lived and leaving him in the streets to look for it wasn’t a good idea. The only thing I could think of was just let Tao stay over at my place, which I did.

 

 

“Wait stay there,” I raised my hands to stop Tao from entering my condo unit. His clothes were still dripping wet and he’d get my just cleaned floor dirty again.

I went inside and took a fresh white towel from my cabinet, walking back to the door and handing it to Tao. “Dry yourself first,” I smiled. Tao hesitantly took the towel and forced a small curve on the corner of his lips.

While he was busy drying himself outside, I went back to my cabinet to look for clothes. The lower drawer was Su Ho’s in case he stayed over for the night. I sat down on the floor and rummaged through his clothes, hoping he wouldn’t mind that I’d let someone borrow them. A black shirt and black jogging pants where the ones I decided to let Tao borrow.

I closed the drawer, clothes in hand, and left my room only to find Tao standing in the living room still dripping wet.

“Tao!” I yelled. The guy jumped in surprise.

I gently pushed Tao to the bathroom where it was safe for him to scatter as much water from his clothes as he can. Water tracks were everywhere: the living room where I found him and a path from the door leading to the living room. “You’re scattering water everywhere,” I scolded.

“Sorry,” Tao said with his still soft voice. A sigh escaped my lips. I still can’t stay angry at Tao no matter what he does.

When we reached the bathroom, I gave him Su Ho’s clothes. “Take a warm bath while I clean the mess you made ok?”

Tao nodded obediently like a child before I closed the bathroom door.

The water was not that hard to clean up. I wiped them off with tissue paper and I mopped up the puddle of water at my doorstep. When I had finished and no water marks were left, Tao emerged from the bathroom wearing Su Ho’s clothes which fit him perfectly.

The two of us had a cup of hot coffee at my living room to warm up our shivering bodies. Tao looked especially pale after taking a bath under the rain in this breezy weather.  Having light conversations, he told me that the reason for his visit in Korea was for unfinished business with those guys that chased us before.

“Who are they anyway? Why are they following you?” I took a sip from my coffee.

“My parent’s owe them money. I came back to Korea to pay them their stupid cash,” He stared angrily at the cup he had on hand.

“So after that they’ll not bug you anymore?”

“I hope so,” Tao sighed.

Our choice of topic was a bit serious leaving me stiff on my seat. I had drunk on my cup of coffee to draw my attention elsewhere when Tao said “I also wanted to see you again. So I planned on visiting you right after,”

Hot coffee got stuck in my through and I desperately tried to cough it away. I placed the cup of coffee on the living room table before I could drop it as I slammed my chest.

“Are you okay?” He looked up from his coffee, staring at me wide eyed.

I nodded once the coffee had unclogged my throat. Though it was a bit sore since the drink was kind of hot.

We sat in silence, finishing our coffees. What Tao said had been constantly repeating in my mind. I also wanted to see you again. It bothered me how the words I was expecting to come out of Kris came from Tao instead. Though it sent my heart pounding equally as strong. I pulled my legs up closer to my chest, hoping that only I could hear how it was beating frantically.

This is not healthy for my heart. It has to stop supplying oxygen to my whole body so damn much. I looked at Tao, his black hair on bundles as it was still damp and a faint mark of cream lined on his face like a mustache. This guy is such a kid I’m serious.

I placed my cup down and moved closer to Tao. “What are you, twelve?” I joked, taking the towel hung on his shoulder and wiping the cream off his face. The male looked at my hands then at my face. My eyes met with his and it surprisingly stayed that way.

But what am I doing? Why am I not looking away? I pulled back my hands and stood up before our staring contest could go on any longer; until my chest could still contain the pounding from my heart. What kind of sorcery have these men been doing to me? I felt my forehead if I was sick but it seemed like my normal temperature. I sighed.

When I came back from the kitchen, Tao had fallen asleep on the couch. It was just 3:34, the poor guy must be tired from his flight.

A smile crept on me as I looked at his sleeping peaceful face. It really was surprising that he wasn’t the tough, manly and serious guy I thought he was from first glance. Watching him now, Tao just looked like a regular guy who just looks like he’ll kill you if you give him the chance.

But his sleeping position on the couch didn’t look comfortable. I looked around the room and saw my bedroom door. I wasn’t going to sleep anymore anyway since I was wide awake and I’d be leaving for work only a few hours later.

I crouched until I was level with his face. I poked his cheeks causing him to stir a bit. Tao opened his eyes like a sleepy child.

“You should sleep in my bed,” I suggested.

Tao followed me to my room and he collapsed under the sheets as soon as I allowed him. It didn’t take long until Tao had completely fallen into sleep. How he really reminded me of a kid made me giggle.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

A blur figure walking past me made me look up. Kris had emerged from the bedroom and was walking with determined steps to the door. A mirror he passed by caught his attention and Kris abruptly stops to fix his hair. I placed my coffee down and uncrossed my legs, watching him and being amused as to how the mirror caught his hundred percent attention.

“Where do you think you’re going?” I asked. It was so early in the morning and Kris was already getting ready to leave. Unless it had something to do with his date with Bo Mi yesterday, which it probably did. I know Kris and he’s one of the laziest people I know when it comes to getting out of bed early.

Kris just glared at me from the mirror before combing his hair for the last time and heading to the door.

I laughed. “You don’t even know where she lives,” Kris stopped when I called out. I thought so…again. Kris is so easy to read these days. I took my phone out and threw it to him; he caught it right before it fell on the floor.

“I have Sun Mi’s number there. You should ask her,” I grabbed my coffee again, taking small sips as the hot beverage stung my lips.

Kris looked at my hand phone, bewilderment present in his face. “How did you…”

“I know stuff. Now go to your princess’s abode,” I mimicked the tone of those classy people in British movies. I didn’t ask on why he wanted to go to Bo Mi’s house. It was their personal matters not mine. Kris doesn’t meddle with me and Sun Mi so I wouldn’t meddle with them.