Chapter 12

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

Who knew five days would go by so fast. Honestly at first the China trip seemed absurd. Sun Mi's plan that I'd forget about Jeremy on my trip was more absurd. But things slowly got by. He might not have left me completely because I admit that he'd always be there—what can I do, he's my true love. But it's time to move on because I have my life ahead of me. I can't let him manipulate my life no longer. As a girl, an independent woman, I must strive to free myself from what bounds me and Jeremy-a very thin red string.

The flight was later in the afternoon so I did not worry about waking up late. The fever had gone down completely and I owe it all to Kris. I forgot to thank him properly. Not only could a mere thank you suffice for the generosity he has shown me for the past couple of days, though we do tend to bicker a lot. I stared at the t.v, blanketed in a white hotel bathrobe and my dripping wet hair wrapped in a towel.

Finally I was watching something I understand. It was a Korean channel hat broadcasted SBS. When I woke up early in the morning I saw a note on the chair where Kris had hung his clothes. On very scribbly hangul was written "There's SBS on channel 53 by the way"

Not that it's useful now since I am leaving but again Kris had made me feel warmth deep inside for the kind affection he had been showing me.

I turned the t.v off and walked back to the bathroom, clothes on hand. I clothed myself, washed my teeth and stared at the mirror for a couple of minutes. There's someone who I almost forgot...there's Tao.

Tao was nothing but nice. Kris was just nearby but how I'd thank Tao was a whole new problem; I had no idea where he is. Circumstances are we'd bump into each other again but that's a fifty-fifty chance. I sighed then collected all my toiletries, stuffing them in a black toiletry bag and leaving the bathroom for the last time. After looking inside and giving it quick scan to make sure that I didn't leave anything, I finally closed the door.

I placed the toiletry bag in the open blue suitcase on the bed, along with my used clothes, then zipped it close. Finally it dawned on me that I'm really leaving. I took a moment to sit down on the bed and stare out the window. China is a beautiful country filled with historic jewelry and I'd gladly want to come back, maybe with Sun Mi or Su Ho this time.

I looked at my wristwatch, 9:24. A bit too early considering that my checkout is 10:30. With the given free time I've decided to go outside and buy Kris something, as a token of my thanks, and possibly meet paths with Tao again and thank him as well.

There was a little debate in my mind on what to get Kris. Thinking hard and walking at the same time, I suddenly bumped into a Chinese man's shoulder. "Oh. Sorry," and bowed corteously. He scowled but went on his way immediately.

What a nice way to leave China, with a middle aged man's scowling face. I eyed him from head to toe as he walked away. Bo Mi you'd not get Kris anything by hating on a middle aged man who just had probably woken on the wrong side of the bed.

I've decided to buy him a Korean delicacy, where else could I find one than the old ladies store where I bought the patbingsoo during my stay here. Getting there, the old lady gave me a warm smile which I replied with a toothy grin.

"Uh do you happen to have Mandu?" I looked at her array of different Korean dishes. Behind her, noticing for the first time, were tables and chairs and a second stall inside. There were Korean citizens who missed the flavour of Korea and Chinese citizens who were just curious.

"How many?" She said opening opening a steam pot with a lot of Mandu inside. My own mouth watered at the sight but it was for Kris. I had to repeat that in my mind just to stop myself from buying it for myself instead.

"Uh...maybe ten," I raised both hands open wide in front of me. The old lady chimed a laugh before placing some Mandu one by one in a plastic container.

"That's a lot for a small girl like you," she said as she had her attention on the Mandu.

"Ani. That's not for me,"

She closed the container and slipped it in a paperbag. Handing it to me she asked "You found a friend in China I presume?" though how her tone was suspicious-a sneaky smile- I know she meant something else.

"You could say it like that," I said. After handing her the money with an added tip, I decided to go back to the hotel.

The wall back to the hotel had always been a nice long walk but halfway there I realized that I wanted to stay some more before I leave. I sat down on a stone seat near a small park and just took in everything I was leaving.

  I can't believe in five days I've made so much memories here. There were people that I wouldn't want to remember like that Chinese man earlier with the ugly scowling face and those men that chased me and Tao. Thinking back I couldn't help but laugh.

"Laughing by yourself?" I could recognize that soft voice anywhere. I whipped my head around, hoping it was the person I presume it was. The delight inside me pushed out a smile as I watched Tao take the empty space beside me. The moment he sat down, his signature aroma had replaced the smell of the city and the trees.

"Why are you always where I am?" I playfully interrogated, rubbing my chin to add to the act.

Tao put on a thinking face and tapped his temple with a finger. I laughed at the two of us.

"I don't know. I sensed you'd be here so I went here," He simply answered.

"What now you have some sixth sense?"

"Actually...I have a Bo Mi radar," He corrected. The seriousness in his face as he said this made me giggle a bit.

"And I have a Tao detector then," I shoved his shoulder with mine as small laughs escaped both our lips. Ugh sticking closer to him the aroma strengthened. His perfume smell attracted me so much for a reason I can't and won't understand.

My inner cravings forced me to take a big inhale and the scent of the perfume slid down my throat. Realizing what I just did, I shyly leaned back on my seat, embarrassed. At least Tao didn't notice.

Tao saw the bag on my lap, arousing curiosity in him. "What's that?"

"Ah this?" I took out the plastic container. I took one Mandu, dipped it on sauce and placed it on front of Tao's face. He looked at it carefully "Try it. It's delicious,"

Tao hesitated but bit on the Mandu anyway. He only took a small bite so I asked him to eat the whole thing; you couldn't taste the whole goodness by just a tiny piece. Tao did take a bigger bite; he grabbed me by the wrist and took the rest of his Mandu to feed it to himself. A realization has struck me that Tao was red from cheek to ear. Is he okay?

We both sat in silence. Maybe we both were made to communicate with our thoughts, like ESP. When I would look at him he'd look at me back at the same time. Bumping into him all the time, I believe, is not coincidence. There was a meaning to all that happened in China but I didn't want to know what. Let faith do as it pleases.

I looked at my wrist watch, 10:00. I best be on my way. Tao followed me with his gaze as I stood up.

"Where are you going?" He asked erecting from his seat.

"I have to go. I check out at 10:30,"

Tao's eyes widened. "You're leaving?" I nodded at his correct speculation. "So soon?" he whispered maybe to himself; his eyes  
trailing down on the sidewalk.

"Yes. Thank you for the great time Tao," After I've finally accepted the fact that I'm leaving this beautiful country, Tao comes in and makes me feel sad about leaving all over again. I wish he'd wipe that frown off of his face because it's making one appear on mine as well.

"I'd miss you," The intensity in his eyes, the sincere sadness, was prominent as mine was attracted to it. His deep eyes me in like a black hole with a poor defenseless little star. The words he said accelerated my heart beat.

I smiled. "I'd miss using my Tao detector too,"

Suddenly he pulled me in, wrapping his arms around me. It was something I wasn't expecting. But we stayed like that for a while. The calming feeling of his chest rising and dropping continuously and the scent which his clothes emitted made my heart best faster-louder. Only when he'd released me did my blood pressure reduce to it's normal speed.

Saying goodbye would always be the hardest thing to do. I'm glad I saw Tao before I leave; that I've properly given him my thanks. My wrist watch said 10:16, just enough time for me to bid my goodbye to Kris as well.

I reached the front of his hotel room. Knocking three times but getting no response I feared that he wasn't there. Saying it face to face would've had a deeper different meaning than a note but I can't leave without saying goodbye in any way. I slipped out a pen from my backpack and tore a piece of paper from my planner, scribbling on it a note and slipping it inside the paperbag.

With the paper bag on his doorstep, I gave his door one final knock and finally I left.

"Goodbye Kris,"

  

 



Every every everyday.Wo chuangzao de History.

It's a Sunday morning, a day that it would be legal for me to lazy around, but the loud ringing of my phone detested my laziness and urged me to wake up. From under the sheets of my blanket I reached out and grabbed my phone ringing maniacally on the bedside table.

I did not bother looking at the caller I.D for a reason that my eyes denied that I open them.

"Hello?"

"Kris! What took you so long to pick up?!"the loud voice on the other line was enough to wake me up. I groaned, angry at the older male who called me, but thankful after seeing the clock which read 11:36.

Still it was a horrible way to wake up: to the loud voice of an older male and my ringtone which I have set to a volume too high. I didn't get much sleep last night, worried about the female I left all alone in her room.

Massaging my temples, I sat up. I asked "Luhan why are you calling so early in the morning?"

From the other end I heard him scoff. "So early? It's 11:40! Is that your definition of early?"

"I didn't get much sleep last night," I rubbed my sleepy eyes.

"Oh did you go clubbing yesterday that's why you couldn't attend our reunion? Everyone was looking for you man," Luhan complained.

I forgot to tell them that I couldn't attend because I had to take care of a sick person but telling them now wouldn't change history.

"I didn't go clubbing. It's for a personal reason,"

"Fine. Just wake up okay. If I didn't call you you'd probably sleep till 3. Lazy bun," He said.

"Says the person who kicks people off his bed," I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom.

"Yeah whatever. Bye Kris,"

Just like that another pointless conversation with Luhan ended. He's a close friend, a former classmate, that I trust dearly.

I finished my morning routine and slipped on a long sleeved black shirt and pants. I'd be moving out of the hotel as soon as my condo unit is fixed so until then I have to constantly go out to eat. After fixing my hair in front of the mirror I went to the door and got surprised at the paper bag sitting on the floor.

Was this for me? Turning heads to make sure I then grabbed it from the floor and brought it back inside. The mouth watering smell danced to my nose only worsening my hunger. To my surprise there were dumplings inside...is this Mandu? During my stay in Korea I've encountered this dish plenty of times.

I took the plastic container out and a piece of paper fell on the floor. Wonder filled every part of me, first the mysterious gift and now a letter that came along with it. I placed the container on a desk and grabbed the piece of paper on the floor.

It said in beautiful hand writing

"Kris annyeong.

I know we got on the wrong foot and I want to blame it all on you but I know I was to blame as well. You seem to be away or asleep and I wanted to give this to you personally as a token of my gratitude. I was sick and you cared for me, thank you. I take back everything I said about you including how you're a giant Chinese jerk with good hair. ^^

It's the end of my stay in China and...well...I'd miss you. Thank you.

p.s I ate one mandu on the way here because I was hungry. Now there's  
only eight left...mian ^^;;

- Bo Mi"


Throughout the letter a smile had been difficult to wipe off my face. Setting aside the nickname she had given me of course. My eyes trailed to the dumplings packed inside the container. I wanted to keep it but I'm afraid it would only rot. Maybe Luhan would also want some. But as my only remembrance of Bo Mi, I slipped the letter in my wallet. Keeping a piece of a memory from girl that had left its deep mark on me.

 

A few months later

 

"Hello? Oh Kris you called! Ayo wassup,"

The male took long determined strides down the sea of people, passport in hand and bag heavy with clothes. It has been a while since he had been in an airport after that faithful day where he met the girl that had spiraled his world into a series of confusion. 

"Chanyeol glad that you answered," 

"Isn't this call expensive? Just because your a rich bastard doesn't mean you can call overseas whenever you like" The deep voiced male jested from the other end of the line. 

Kris stepped out into the sunlight, greeted by the beautiful blue sky and the chilly breeze of March. A smile was ominent on the male's face as he was determined to pursue what he came here for.  "But I'm not calling from overseas. Chanyeol, could you pick me up from Incheon Airport?"