Chapter 20

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

With long legs, it didn’t take much effort for Kris to get out of my sight. He just walked so fast that I lost him the moment the elevator doors opened. I gave the main floor one quick scan, searching for his hazel hair or the familiar black long coat he wore. But nothing. He’s gone.

If only my legs were a little longer. If only the floor wasn't so damn cold that my bare feet could operate properly. What if he makes the wrong assumptions? Whatever he might be assuming right now isn’t that hard to guess. But why does my insides feel like it’s twisting into knots and making me feel guilt?

Sun Mi’s approaching figure came unnoticed until she was only a few feet away from me. She seemed perplexed with her furrowed brows. “Was Kris here?” she asks immediately.

“Did you ask him where he’s going?” I asked a little too agitated.

“He’s going home…I think. I mean he asked the password from Chanyeol a moment ago when we passed by him so—“

Immediately, I thanked Sun Mi then made a run for it. Not minding how the cold stone sidewalk was uncomfortable to my feet. I think I passed by Chanyeol on my way out the two glass doors but my mind was too focused on getting a taxi that I’m even forgetting how to breathe properly.

Thanks to Sun Mi who everyday brought me to Chanyeol’s place, I memorized his address like it was mine. I stuttered as I instructed the taxi driver, he even asked me to calm down.

Every second, every building, that passed made me wish that the taxi driver would just defy the speed limit rule just this time. I don’t know what’s going on inside me. There’s this need inside me to know if Kris is mad. And if he is, why?

Kris. The realization that I haven’t even spoken to him even once for days just struck me. After that night, when I saw his figure even behind the tinted car window, he never contacted me even once. I was too busy with my new job that calling him never crossed my mind as well. Maybe that’s why he’s mad; because I’m being an inconsiderate friend and ignoring his presence.

 

 

I nibbled on my thumb nail, an old habit when I’m nervous. Knocking again on the door to the beat of my pounding heart, I stood there rubbing my cold feet against one another. Just the thought that I went around the city barefooted surprised even me.

The door swung open and Kris seemed surprised to see me, and my state of being barefooted startled him more.

“Come in,” Kris said unable to take his rounded eyes off my feet. He took off his own slippers and asked me to wear them. I wasted no time in getting my feet off the cold ground. His body temperature warmed up the inside of the slipper making it warm and comfortable.

He led me to the living room, where Kris served me hot coffee assuming that I was cold.

The two of us sat there quietly, him seated at the other end of the couch. I played with the warm cup just like how Kris did with his. We never really took even one sip at the duration of our stay. Both were probably busy thinking of what to say next. Well, I just wanted to know if he’s angry. Because the way he glared at the coffee cup scared me.

“Kris?” I whispered. My heart pounded when he looked up at me. “Are you um...”

Suddenly my loud ringtone broke the invincible glass called silence. I struggled to get my phone with one hand and was startled to hear loud music booming from the other end of the line. Kris watched intently making me uncomfortable.

“Uh…hello?”

“Bo Mi!”

Sun Mi’s loud voice made me pull the phone away from my ears.

“What is it? And why is it so loud there?” I raised the volume of my voice as well.

“I’m at a club with Chanyeol,”

“Uh…great?”

“That’s not the point,” The tone of Sun Mi’s voice tensed me.“Jeremy is here,”

I still didn’t get why she called me until she said …

“And he’s with Hye Jin,”

Already I felt my eyes grow hot and my vision blur. But I gulped it down and tried to make reason. “As friends?”

“No. Bo Mi he has been lying to you. He’s cheating on Hye Jin with you. They never broke up in the first place,”

The phone slipped from my hands as it trembled.

How can a heart that has just been successfully patched up shatter to pieces again? Why is it shattering in the first place? Because I thought Jeremy changed? Because I thought I can give him another chance? Because I thought our love was real? Everything was just a lie. And I was stupid enough to believe all his cheesy lines, the accidental touch of our hands which—if my memory serves me right—was what sparked the intertwining of our hands when we first loved. He has been repeating the same courting pattern with me and I was too blind to notice.

Tears streamed down my cheeks. Quickly I wiped them before Kris could see. I stood up and apologized that I had to leave immediately when I felt something hold me back.

I turned around at Kris’s hands around my wrist.

“You heard?” I squeaked.

“Loud and clear,” Kris answered.

“Let me go,” I shook from his inescapable grasp on my wrist.

“Bo Mi don’t avoid me,”

“Don’t avoid you? Avoid you?! You were the one avoiding me for no reason! I didn’t know if you were mad…or…annoyed…or,” I didn’t mean to vent out my anger and frustration for Jeremy on Kris. But if I kept silent again, I don’t know what would happen to me. I’d go insane. I needed to shout at someone. And Kris just happened to be the closest person.

More tears came and my cries had muted me completely.

Kris carefully pulled me closer to him and wrapped his arms around me. I wrapped my arms around his mid section and just cried on his chest. I don’t know how long we stayed like that but my tears kept coming—every time I think of how stupid I was to trust that jerk again. I’m madder at myself than I am at Jeremy. I should’ve known that he was recycling his old moves that won my heart before. I’m more stupid then Jeremy.

Just when I thought no one cared about me, there’s this man that I met in China offering his chest for me to cry on, his shirt for me to dampen with my tears and his hand to run down my head in an attempt to comfort me. I tightened my arms around his waist afraid that he too would leave me.

“Kris…don’t leave me okay? Don’t…” I don’t know what left my mouth but that’s what I felt.

“I won’t,” His deep voice resonated from his chest.

 

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?”

I sniffed. “Yeah. Is it okay with Chanyeol?”

“He said he’d be fine. The kid’s quite ecstatic about sleeping over at my place,” Sun Mi laughed causing one from me too.

“Goodnight Bo Mi,”

“G’night,”

Kris entered the room and I looked up from the green sheets of his bed. “What did she say?”

“She’s okay with it,” I told him.

He nodded and handed me a new batch of white blanket. “Thank you,” I said upon receiving it.

“For the blanket?” He chuckled.

“No. For comforting me,” I traced invisible lines on the blanket. “Are you sure you could sleep on the couch? I fit there better than you  do to be honest,” His height was no joke. He’d have to bend just to get his whole body in the couch. While I fit there like it was made just for me. I was never gifted with height anyway.

But Kris smiled. “No. It’s okay I can manage,”

 

 

Third Person Point of View

That night, Kris couldn’t sleep well. Partly because the couch was hardly large enough to give him comfort and also because his thoughts were clogged up with so many things that he can’t peacefully close his eyes.

He faced the ceiling, darkness surrounding him and the lamp beside the television his only source of light. Kris was confused—not like it was something new. Staring at the ceiling was a thing of the past for Kris. Late nights he’d stay awake because he’s too busy thinking. The consequences of dark circles come to him in the morning when Chanyeol makes fun of him and tells him he looks like a panda.

To clear up his mind, he stands up and walks over to the kitchen for a drink when he hears soft sobs coming from his room. Immediately he paces to his room, carefully opening the door, and getting close enough the bed to see Bo Mi crying in her sleep.

He wakes her up, shaking her shoulders. “Bo Mi are you okay?” Kris sits on the edge of the bed beside her.

Bo Mi stirs but opens her eyes. She wipes her tears and apologizes. But as Kris was about to leave, she holds him back.

Even in the dark, Kris could see clearly her eyes that begged him. The moon that struck light through the window caused the droplets of crystals in her eye to sparkle. Kris was undoubtedly drawn to her eyes like metal to magnet.

Bo Mi doesn’t say a word but Kris understands completely. He nods and lies down beside her. Like a kid who just had nightmares, Bo Mi was afraid and Kris made her feel protected from whatever she dreamt of.

For the rest of the night, Kris just stares at Bo Mi’s face. Tucking back hair that occasionally fell to her face, ruining his view. It was the only time he got to see Bo Mi’s face this close and this long. Kris grabs the opportunity, studying every feature of Bo Mi’s face. Her eye lashes which he felt with his finger, her hair and her lips that quivered. She was dreaming again.

Bo Mi stirs in her sleep and moves closer to Kris. She falls back into slumber, ear to Kris’s chest. The male freezes at the sudden closeness between them.

Some part of him hated Jeremy but there was this undeniable hint of gratitude to that person inside Kris. His selfish side was happy that Bo Mi needed comfort and coincidentally, he was around.

Before his heavy eyelids drop, Kris places a kiss on her head. And before the rooster acknowledges the rising sun, Kris falls asleep.

 

 

 

 

Annyeonghaseyong~ Lol fail aegyo right there hahaha. Sorry this chapter was long. I kept writing to the point when I had to tell myself to stop. 'm seriously happy that you guys like my fanfic. I can't reply to each and every comment but I read all of them. Thankyou so much <33

Ugh only one more week and it's hello school for me again. TT_TT 

By the way. I have an ending for the fanfic now and I have finalized who I'll make her end up with!! /finally. 

Who it is you say? Wait for the end of the chapter /evil laugh.

 

- Kleo ♥