Chapter O8

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

“Keep it together please!” The distant familiar language made me turn my head. Behind me was a crowd of Korean tourists being led by a youthful woman in her twenties. Little children that came with their parents turned their heads in amazement and confusion at the same time. The language was as shocking to them as it was for me. Before the crowd passed, I grabbed my DSLR camera on my neck and snapped some shots of the little children, clinging to their parent’s hands tight.

The picture came out nicely. A little girl’s face with wondering eyes looked directly at the lense making the perfect shot. I’m not much of a photographer, definitely not an expert but I like to take meaningful pictures rather than showing them off.

Who knew I’d choose the Forbidden City as my first stop. Early morning after taking a bath I skimmed through some brochures I got from the airport. Of course the Great Wall of China was printed all over the first part of the brochure but I didn’t want to go there…yet.

I approached the large white staircase that led to the entrance. Good thing memory cards were invented because there wasn’t a moment where I let go of my camera. There were lots to take pictures off. Worry that I’d trip completely washed away from me. The only time I let my camera hang on my neck was when I sped up my walking to get to the top of the stairs. With the added weight of my bag and camera, I was panting by the time I got to the top. I shouldn’t have ran like that.

The ledge which overlooked the arriving people caught my attention. I leaned on it and peered down on the people. Again I grabbed my camera and just shot everything. The building behind me and the arriving tourists.

I just kept clicking and clicking that I didn’t even know what I was taking pictures of. For another time I took a shot. The picture loaded on my screen and I have apparently taken a picture of an old Chinese couple going up the stairs. It was sweet, how love lasted for the two aged people.

Staring at the couple with envy I took notice at the side profile face behind them. My brows furrowed. I zoomed on it to make sure and realized that it was, sure from that prominent black circle under his eye, Tao.

I looked up from the camera, searching for him. His figure blended into the passing crowd that was entering the Forbidden City. For a split second there was enough gap for me to see his animal printed bag and black leather jacket.

“Tao!” I called out.

Tao looked around at the call of his name. He looked in my direction and I enthusiastically waved at him. It was absurd of him to assume that I was waving at someone else. Tao looked around his area, making sure that I was really aiming my greeting at him. Awkwardly he gave back a small wave.

I quickly half ran to where he stood. “I didn’t think I’d see you again,”

“Same here,” Tao replied. Was there never really any emotion to his face…ever? Did I just fabricate in my imagination his laughter?

Like me it seemed he wasn’t much of a talker. But the ice between us needed to be broken sooner or later. Tao must’ve felt the same way since he suddenly opened a conversation while I was in the brink of saying something.

“Do you wa-…uh sorry were you going to say something?” He stuttered.

“No you go first,” I motioned him to continue his sentence.

“N-no tell me what you wanted to say first,” Tao said.

“I wanted to say…maybe we should move away from the entrance?” Tao was being bumped by a lot of people already and he didn’t even notice it. I’ve been holding back laughter every time someone passes by and nudges his shoulder but Tao doesn’t flinch even a bit.

He was like a lost child—snapping out of reality, realizing that he was blocking the way. I grabbed his arm and pulled him away from the crowd. Once we were at a far distance and not in any way going to block anyone anymore I let go of his arm. Tao shifted uncomfortably in his spot and rubbed the part I touched with my hand.

“Okay what did you want to say?” I said to change the stiff atmosphere.

“I wanted to ask if you want to go inside,” He said with the softest voice I have ever heard. It contradicted his serious manly image.

Tao was here on a break from his Wushu training. It was a free day and he didn’t want to spend it in his house. I’m kind of glad that he didn’t decide to lazy around in his house. If he did though, I wouldn’t be walking with someone right now. Instead, I’d just take countless pictures and have no one to share them with.

I had that habit after taking a shot; I’d show my pictures to anyone I was with and babble about how the lighting was perfect or how I was just at the right focus. Tao gave tiny smiles whenever I asked him about his opinion. It gave me the idea that I was annoying him.

“Uh…sorry,” I placed the lid of my lens on.

He gave me a puzzled look. “Huh?”

“I must be…annoying you by now,” A trembling laugh escaped my throat. Opinions of people never mattered to me but with Tao it seemed different.

“Nonsense. I don’t think you could ever annoy me,” Tao stated.

A small smile crept on my face. I shook it off immediately after realizing that it was there though. We walked around the Forbidden City in silence. I’d raise some questions from time to time, especially about the writings, and Tao would give short answers. Then we’d be back to looking opposite ways.

Soon we left the historical feel of the Forbidden City to a plaza somewhere near it. Looking around, I saw an ice cream stand. There were billions of people who, like me, had a craving for ice cream. Without thinking I grabbed Tao’s arm and speedily ran to the ice cream stand.

I ordered ice cream for the two of us. I’ve always loved vanilla and Tao said he wanted chocolate. While the ice cream was getting ready, I took out my wallet and slipped out a few money.

Here,” The ice cream vendor said. He handed out the ice cream to me so I assume that he was giving it to me. Excited, I didn’t slip my wallet back to my open bag. Instead, it fell on the pavement. With both hands occupied I couldn’t pick it up immediately.

Tao bent down grabbed my wallet that had opened itself after it fell, revealing me and Jeremy’s picture at the Han River. I didn’t realize I still had that picture displayed on my wallet.

The one thing that was more disturbing than mine and Jeremy’s happy in love faces  was Tao’s sullen gaze at the picture. His smile dissapeared and his lips pursed into a straight line. I couldn't read his expression, he hid it very well. I just wanted him to close the wallet since it was bringing tears to my eyes.

“Y-your boyfriend?” He forced a gulp.