Chapter O5

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

I don’t think this creepy glare guy had a plan. We were just running in circles, going into narrow roads and back to the main roads. Maybe he was trying to lose the people chasing us, but if it is his plan then it’s not really effective.

I kept looking back at those chasing us. Get tired already will you! They may look old but their stamina is as healthy as a teenager’s.

The creepy glare guy spoke in Mandarin and I answered with a “Huh?” He looked back at me then spoke again though this time I understood something which was “faster”.

Considering the fact that I’m wearing heels, I couldn’t run to my full potential but running while taking of my shoes with slow us down. Though I loved these pair very much I had to leave them behind. I slipped my feet out and ran barefoot on the pavement. At least we did speed up.

We ran through another narrow road and when I looked back, no one was chasing us anymore. He noticed this too and we slowly stopped running.

We were both breathing heavily. I leaned on my knees for support as the world seemed to become very hazy. I’ve never ran that long and that fast since high school. So this was sort of a shock for my detrained legs.

The guy caught his breath surprisingly quicker. He looked around for any signs of the people chasing us. The place seemed clear of any people. It was too narrow for anyone to regularly pass and could’ve only been used for a shortcut to the other road.

He looked back at me and spoke in Mandarin.

“Huh?” I gave the same blank expression.

Again he just spoke in the same language leaving me clueless. I stood up straight. “Mandarin,” I crossed my hands hoping he gets it that I can’t speak nor understand the language he speaks.

He looked straight at me with an unreadable expression. That was when I realized his eyes were really very intimidating. It sent chills down my spine like someone who was going to kill you if you anger him.

“Korean?” He spoke in hangul. Though there was a hint of accent in it.

I nodded, glad that he understood me. “Can you speak Korean?” I asked.

He scrunched his nose as he thought. “Only a bit,” he replied.

“Thankyou,” I said when he turned around.

“Sure,” he replied.

I turned around as well. When I did take a step, a shock of pain rushed up my body. I fell on the ground in pain and a yelp escaped my throat. The bottom of my feet had a cut, and it was bleeding badly. I must’ve stepped on something sharp when we ran.

“Are you okay?”

The guy appeared beside me once again. He moved in front of me to get a better look at my foot.

“No it’s okay it doesn’t hurt that much,” I tried to hide back tears that were ready to flow out. It’s not painful, it’s just very painful. It was somehow bearable though but when I tried to stand up I couldn’t use my wounded feet for support and fell on my bottom. I winced.

He took my feet abruptly. “Yah!” I yelled.

The guy wrapped my feet in a handkerchief he took out from his denim jacket’s pocket and knotted it as tight as he could. “That would stop the bleeding for now,” He said.

I gave him my thanks and tried to stand up. His eyes never left me which was kind of awkward. It wasn’t a look of interest rather he was probably worried that I’d fall over again like earlier. I placed most of my weight on my good foot and I think I could walk home now.

“Thankyou,” I awkwardly bowed.

Of course when I started walking I began to limp. Each step with my wounded foot caused me to grimace. What a trip this is. First the accidental exchange of passports with a giant of a Chinese jerk, next getting into trouble and running for my life now this, wounded in the middle of a dark alley walking with bare feet.  

He appeared in front of me again and crouched on the floor with his back on me. What was he implying? I looked at him blankly, raising a brow.

“Get on,” He said taking a glance at me.

“N-no it’s okay I can take a taxi,” I humbly denied his offer. Also it would be embarrassing in my part to be carried by a guy whom I just met. Not because I’m the shy type but because not only have I caused him trouble by getting myself into trouble but I’d also cause him a heavy burden of carrying me.

“No taxi passes by here,” He stood up and took both my hands. Color flushed to my cheeks at the sudden touch of his warm palms. He wrapped my arms around his neck and lifted me off the ground. I’ve never been carried piggy back style ever since I became too heavy to be lifted by my dad.

I squirmed. I wanted to get off because I know I’m not that light but he just tightened his arms around my knees some more. “Stop squirming,” he ordered.

“No. Seriously I’m okay put me down,”

The guy didn’t respond to that and walked back to the main road. I tried to make myself as light as possible…if that was even possible.

Well this was seriously awkward. My arms were wrapped around his neck forcing me to lean closely to his face. I could smell his perfume which was weirdly a scent very familiar to me. Like some designer’s perfume I smell from testers on the mall.

The silence between the two of us was only adding to the momentum of the whole awkward situation.

“Thanks again…uh…”

“I’m Tao,” Tao said.

“Th-thanks Tao,” I stuttered. “I’m sorry if I’m heavy,”

Apparently Tao must’ve found my apology funny. He smiled. “Do I look that weak to you?”

I shook my head. We were engulfed with silence again. Slowly we were emerging to the more crowded place of the city. People passing by gave us questioning stares and curious glances. I buried my head on his shoulder to hide my flustered embarrassed face. I don’t like it when people look at me, it’s uncomfortable.

The scent of his perfume was more prominent when I buried half my face on his shoulder in an attempt to hide my face to the glares of the society. It smelled really good. Ugh what am I doing smelling someone’s jacket like this. I snapped my head up when I realized I was too engulfed in sniffing his perfume.

He stopped walking by the edge of the sidewalk. I got off his back slow enough to not feel any pain when I step my wounded foot on the ground.

A taxi stopped in front of us and I got in. But before I closed the door I bowed at him again. “Thankyou Tao,”

“Welcome…” he trailed off.

“Bo mi,” I answered.

Tao’s lips formed into a small smile for a second. The taxi drove off as soon as I closed the door and I watched his figure standing by the sidewalk through the side mirrors.

I sniffed my black cardigan which has his perfume scent stuck to it. Suddenly I noticed the familiarity of the scent. Though not sure I took a wiff of my cardigan again.

“Was his perfume Chanel?

 

Ohmykrisus 44 subscribers already? Thankyou so much!!!

You don't know how much your comments mean to me :>

I know I haven't updated as soon as possible, I was busy with reviews /sigh.

anyways. the two main characters are introduced! mansae mansae! 

I promise to make this story more interesting now c:

 

- Kleo ♥