Chapter 15

When you thought I speak Mandarin

The wall that kept both of us silent collapsed on itself bit by bit. From small conversations about the weather came longer ones with everything under the sun as a topic. When silence came again, I quickly looked through my thoughts for a topic starter. 

“How has life been going for you in China after I left?” I casually asked.

Kris thought then answered “Hmmm…bearable,”

 “Oh,” I simply answered, laughing nervously then tearing my panicked eyes away. His answer was something I did not exptect and could not understand. What did he mean by bearable? And why were his eyes anything but happy? I clutched my chest secretly as something inside it was throbbing furiously. It pounded loudly inside my chest, loud enough to be heard if anyone tried listening.

What is my heart doing? My brain screamed.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I kept a close eye on Chanyeol’s actions with Sun Mi, how he’d try to make a move and fail miserably.

Like a few moments ago when their hands were nearly touching. Chanyeol tensely glanced at their hands, probably pondering over the thought if he should grab Sun Mi’s hand or not. It was like a suspense romance flick where the guy is slowly falling in love with the girl but he’s too shy to show it. In the end, before Chanyeol could get the chance, Sun Mi tucked her hands in her pockets and the male dejectedly cursed himself at the lost opportunity. It was amusing to watch really.

Sun Mi is my best friend, one of the persons I’d gladly sacrifice my life for, and making her cry would be the last thing Chanyeol should plan on doing if he doesn’t want his life to be a living hell.

The crowd was beginning to diminish by the coming afternoon. Blue skies were turning into a shade of orange as the sun sets on the west.

“Let’s go somewhere else shall we?” Sun Mi asked, to me and Kris, when we reached the gate of the amusement park.

“No. You guys continue your date without us,” I smiled. A private time—just the two of them—was what they need to get to know each other better. And I want Sun Mi to be sure of her decisions about Chanyeol—very sure.

Chanyeol handed keys to Kris. “You want to borrow my car and drive home?”

Kris walked over to my side. “We’ll continue our date somewhere else too,” he said completely catching me off guard. I stared at him in disbelief. He gave me a look from the corner of his eye and I’m sure I saw the corner of his lips curve into a smirk.

Sun Mi and Chanyeol exchanged stunned looks.

The two couple drove away to who knows where. Before they left I had told Sun Mi to be home by twelve and you know what she said? Sun Mi answered “I think I should say the same to you,” then winked at Kris who unknowing just arched his brow. Ugh Sun Mi.

 

 

It was nightfall when we reached a destination Kris dearly wanted to go; Hangang river. He said it was one of the things he missed about Korea and was second in his “to go to” list when he comes back. I asked what the first was but Kris merely smiled.

Hangang park was nearly isolated as the night was coming. We sat down on the grass with a great view of the river and the city across.

It was silence most of the time, just the sound of the cars and the leaves rustling from the wind. It had been a while since I came to Hangang river too. I never really thought of visiting it with my mind occupied by so many things: work, supplying for my mother’s needs and paying the rent. A calming moment like this was just what I needed.

 

My attention was slowly drawn to the male beside me; he hadn’t spoken a word ever since we sat down. I turned my eyes to Kris who looked at peace with his eyes closed. 

It was gentle, his face. My eyes were automatically glued to it. The disappearing sun casted a shadow at his side profile which made his features as breathtaking as it already was. The hazel locks of his hair that seemed to defy gravity—gelled up—slightly swayed when the wind touched them.

Recently I had just notice how small Kris’s lips are.  Instincts told me to reach a finger out, to trace his lips. But immediately I drew my curious hands back to the ground when Kris rolled back his eyelids.

Did he see? I hope not.

He looked around seemingly lost. “Ah, sorry. I think I fell asleep,” Kris chuckled with a deep alluring tone.

So he did fall asleep. Thank goodness.

I embraced my legs close to me, propping my chin on my knees. What’s wrong with me? Why am I acting weird whenever I’d be somewhere near Kris’s presence? It was not like me to act this way. I sighed wondering if my brain is damaged or something.

Kris leaned on his arms for support as we both stared at the scenery.

Something had been bothering my mind ever since this morning. I was too shy to ask because it was a very selfish and personal question. But something inside me really wanted to be selfish for once.  

“Kris,” I whispered, hoping he’d not hear and the need for the answer would just die down, but Kris did hear and he turned his head to me.

I bit my lower lip. “What was the reason why you came back to Korea?”  I hid my face in my arms, completely embarrassed for saying that out loud.

He hummed as he thought. “Work,” Kris answered simply.

Oh. Work.

My bothered expression caught Kris’s attention. Why in the world would I think that he came to Korea for me? I don’t even know where that conclusion popped up. Maybe too much Korean dramas are not good for single woman like me. I hid my face deeper into my arms, waiting for my flustered face to disappear.  

“Did I say something?” Kris shifted on his spot with his thick brows furrowing to the center.

I shook my head and replied nothing, just staring at the flowing large body of water.

 

Kris’s Point of View

Would it hurt to tell the truth Kris?

I sat there completely stunned and panicked at the same time. Bo Mi remained silent for a long time. Her eyes looked sullen as they stared at the river and her lips, pursed into a flat line. It was hard for me to decode what she though no matter how hard I try.

Before I could find the words to speak, Bo Mi stood up—without looking at me still.

“Where are you going?” I asked hoping she’d look at me…but she didn’t. Still her attention was at anything but me.

A fit of panic rushed inside me as I attempted to get on my feet as well.

“Uh…it’s getting late. I need to go home,” Bo Mi looked at her wrist watch.

“I’ll you ho-“

She cut me off. “No. Ah, I mean. I can go home by myself,”

Without another word, Bo Mi left. But I sat on the ground again, not for the pleasure of admiring the river though. I leaned on knees, clutching a bundle of my hair and sighed…irritated at myself.  I let the night grow deeper for a while until the city lights were so bright that the stars were merely faint dots. Soon, I left as well.

 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Opening the doors uncaringly, Chanyeol was surprised to see Kris already hitting the hay on the living room couch. It was10:30. With the television and a bowl of ramen left on the living room table, he suspected that Kris had been here for a while now. If so, it was surprisingly early for someone who went out on a date.

He walked over to the sleeping male, bended slightly as he tried to make his long body fit on the couch of Chanyeol’s living room. He turned off the television and cleaned up the food on the table before heading to the bathroom to wash up.

A few moments later, Chanyeol emerged from the bathroom with a towel draped over his damp hair.

Passing by the living room again, he noticed how uneasy Kris seemed at the small surface area of the couch. Chanyeol sighed amusedly. He nudged Kris’s shoulder causing the tall male to fidget in his sleep.

“Yo. Kris wake up,” The male said with his deep voice.

Kris slowly opened his eyes. He stared at space for a while before focusing his pupils on his friend that stood before him.

“I have an extra mattress in my room if you would like a good night’s sleep,” Chanyeol suggested.

Kris merely nodded and carefully stood up. ‘Still a man of little words’ Chanyeol thought as he watched Kris drag his feet sleepily to Chanyeol’s room.

The couch and the television were free for Chanyeol to use again. He slumped on the couch and turned the television on to the news.

“Oh by the way Kris,” He called, looking over his shoulder.

Hearing his name, Kris halted before completely closing the bedroom door behind him. He gave no response but Chanyeol knew that his friend was listening.

“I’m not the reason why you came to Korea, aren’t I?”

It was quiet for a minute or two. Only the sound of the newscaster broadcasting tomorrow’s possible weather saved the room from pure silence. Kris remained still—motionless—while Chanyeol was smiling knowing that he was right all along. Kris’s silence was enough as an answer.

“I thought so,” Chanyeol said before turning his attention back to the television. A few moments later, the door made a sound as it was closed. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So many POVs right? Sorry if it was a bit confusing. Ohgod my exam is on tuesday already /prays I get good score. 

Anyway, I hope you guys get what I've been writing so far. I've written it as clear as I could without openly blurting it out. ^ ___^;;

I forgot to thank everyone for 100+ subscribers. //HUGS YOU ALL. ; ____ ;

and I read every comment you give seriously. Thankyou ~~ o u o

 

- Kleo ♥