Chapter 21

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

 

“Jagiya~” A sweet voice whispered to my ear. Warm breath gushed to my tickle spot causing a giggle to escape my lips. But I refused to wake up simply for the pleasure of annoying him. I pursed my lips and resumed my fake sleep.

I felt an arm slide around me, providing that feeling of warmth so early in the morning. I’ve always loved that feature of Jeremy where he gives me embraces no matter what time it was. May it be an early winter morning or a rainy summer night.

This winter was especially chilly. The thermostat warmed me up but I’m sure most of the comforting heat was from Jeremy hugging me closely to him.

Jeremy whispered again “Wake up lazy bum. I know you’re awake babo,” His voice echoed from his chest. Though the pillows served as softer head rests, I still leaned against his hard chest with a beating heart soothing me like a mother’s pulse.

“You’re not waking up huh?” The fishy tone should’ve been enough of a warning that Jeremy was going tickle me until I begged him to stop—if I manage to even breathe from all my laughing.  

All mornings were like this. The two of us acting like young couples even though we’ve been together for years. Laughing like children who had no care for the world with the television carelessly left on and the weather report muffled by the bedroom walls; really like two kids. Two kids in love.

Those were the days.

 

 

I’ve always expected to wake up with an empty space beside me. To never hear that faint whisper that sends the hair of my body erect in a good way. Living alone was something I’ve grown used to and that cold space that remained un-lied down on has long stopped bothering me.

Weirdly, the comfort of my bed was amiss. The aroma of my room—lilac and wood—was replaced by some sort of men’s perfume. Jeremy? No. Not that jerk. I wouldn’t let him lay beside me after all the things he had done to me. I’d eat fire first before I ever let him sleep beside me. Then who?

My eyelids drowsily rolled back. So, the faint sound of a drum I kept hearing was actually a human heart—Kris’ heart. And the hard object I leaned against, it was a chest—Kris’ chest. The weight around me, I looked at the arm that carefully was carefully draped over my waist—it was Kris’ arm.

I gasped because at first, I wondered if anything happened between us. No way. Kris is not that kind of a person to take advantage of a woman at her most fragile. I probably begged him to sleep beside me since I have a habit of doing that. Su Ho reminds me that it’s a bad habit, especially if I’m with a stranger I don’t trust.

But I trust Kris. I lifted my head to get a better look of his sleeping peaceful face. The open blinds let light strike his face, only accenting his already breathtaking features. He’s not perfect—he’s human—but from his thick eye brows to those small lips, everything was perfect in its own way.

Knowing myself, I should’ve pushed him away the moment I found out but why am I still here? Still huddled close to his chest and listening to his heartbeat. Staring at his face and carefully fixing his tousled hazel hair.

Maybe I wanted this? It had been a while since I’ve slept so humbly with the beating melody of a heart lulling me to sleep. Maybe for once in my life, I wanted to experience the feeling of waking up to the sight of someone special to me and not just the cold empty space of the other side of the bed. I can deny it but deep inside me, I know I crave for it.

I basked in it as it lasted. Nuzzling against Kris’ chest and again listening to his heart. A smile that I’ve tried greatly to hold back emerged on my face, though I’ve successfully constrained it from becoming a wide idiotic grin.

Kris was quite the heavy sleeper. I’ve moved around and touched his eyelashes—and had the feeling of success in doing so—but still the male remained asleep. Though when I tried to get some more rest, Kris moved and I met glances with his drowsy eyes.

He stared at me vacantly for a while before he blinked away the sleepiness. Awkwardly, he removed his arm around my waist and gave me an apologetic grin.

“Good Morning,” I greeted a bit too cheerfully.

“How long have you been awake?” Kris grinned in amusement as he tucks a piece of my loose hair behind my ear. He notices his actions and withdraws his hands to his sides. I smiled at him, assuring that I didn’t mind at all.

“Not too long ago? How…”

“You were dreaming…and you asked me to sleep beside you,” Kris explains.

Go figure.

I don’t remember what I dreamt about but I’m glad Kris was there, again. I gave him my thanks but my cheeks couldn’t help but change a bright red as I was embarrassed at an old child’s habit of mine.

Our eyes met. Before I could look away, I was immediately in to Kris’ deep brown orbs. They stared at me intently but at the same time, softly. I shuddered at the contact of his skin when he grazed a thumb across my cheek. It sent shocks all over my body sending my senses in overdrive. I was completely frozen, eyes stuck to Kris’.

As weird as it might sound, it was like Kris could see right to my very soul. And I felt like I could see right to his.

Kris’ broke contact with my eyes and his gaze lingered to my lips. He eyed me like I was some fascinating work of art and apparently, my lips have caught his full attention. I wonder why? And why do I want to find out? I guess I’m just a curious cat.

Our curiosity and the mood got the best of us. Kris leaned closer and I found myself inching near his face. I felt his warm minty breath against my skin and his hands sliding around my waist, pulling me closer.

Before our lips even touched, Kris had pulled away. He marched out the room without saying a single word and I was left on the bed, confused. Several questions began bombarding me, all at the same time. Like what was I thinking? Why did I let my feelings—confused feelings—take over me? Haven’t I learned my lesson, the hard way?

Still, that was stupid of me. But didn’t Kris make the first move? Agh. I got up and tousled my hair, frustrated and confused at myself.  

 

 

After I washed up, and stared at my reflection for a good five minutes, I braced myself for the awkwardness ahead as I left the bedroom. Almost immediately though, my stomach grumbled at the scent of fried rice in the air. The room was filled with the mouth watering aroma and it pulled me right to the kitchen where Kris was.

I gulped at the sight of his back.

“I-is that fried rice?” I stuttered, taking a seat on the dining room table.

Kris turned around. “A family recipe,” He said accompanying that statement with a smile that could’ve just knocked me off the table.

“I’ve never seen you smile like that,” I said, taking notice of how he smiled—probably in content—as he mixed the rice in the sizzling pan. Maybe the food made him smile? I don’t know. I’m too hungry to think.

 

 


Finally the food was served. At first I was skeptical on taking a taste mainly because I watched in fear at how Kris placed too much garlic. As I popped one spoonful in my mouth though, immediately the flavor awoken my sense of taste. It wasn’t that bad. I was going to take another spoonful when I noticed Kris’ watchful eyes on me.

“What?” I brought the spoon down.

His brow arched. “You…like it?”

I gave it another taste test. There was definitely too much garlic but the flavor blended well with the other unknown ingredients introducing a brand new taste to my mouth. I nodded. “Yeah. Should I hate it?”

Kris shook his head. “No. It’s just…people usually spit out anything I cook for them,” He said as a smile crept to his face.

“It’s not really that bad. Or maybe I have the good dish,”

To test my hypothesis, I filled my spoon and placed it before Kris’ face. He was startled to see my spoon shoved at his face and looked at me questioningly. “Open,” I said and Kris obeyed.

“Wow. I think you did just get the good dish. Mine tastes different,” Kris does the same and feeds me a spoonful from his dish. After munching the rice in my mouth, I realized that the taste was just the same and Kris was laughing at me for believing.

“How dare you!” My attempt to be angry failed as I joined him in laughter.

Before I knew it, we finished our plates by feeding one another. Eating was quite a task especially if the person seated before you kept snickering for no damn reason. I’d feed him just to silence him but then I’d burst into laughter. We were laughing for no reason actually. Maybe it was the garlic?

The sound of my ringtone excused me from the dining table. I half ran to the living room and answered the blinking Samsung phone.

“Hello? Sun Mi good morning~”

“Wow. You’re happy. Did I ‘disturb’ you or anything?” Sun Mi teased.

I scoffed. “You called to tease me?”

“No stupid. I called because Tao is here. He’s looking for you. Said he needed to tell you something important. Should I tell him to come back later?”

“Um…” I looked back at Kris who was fixing the table. “No. Tell him to wait for me,”

“Okay.”

 

 

Denying that I didn’t want to leave yet would just mean that I'm lying to myself. Tao did say that it was important and I already told Sun Mi to make him wait. But why am I still hesitant in informing Kris that I need to leave? I stared at the dishes that he cleaned, biting my lips and not knowing what to say.

“I have extra slippers by the door but they may be a bit large for you,” The happiness had completely washed off Kris’ voice and face like the soap on the plate. He went back to the state where I couldn’t read his actions and decipher his expressions. I hated that state of Kris the most. He seemed so secretive when his face is expressionless and stern.

“Thanks again…for..um…last night,” I shyly said, fidgeting with my phone.

“Welcome,” Again with his short answers. I heaved a sigh.

“I’m…gonna…go,”

This time Kris just nods, the ends of his lips slightly curving to what I presume was a smile.

I left before I could consider second thoughts. Riding the taxi had cut my options of turning around and staying with Kris a little more. I played with the phone in my hands, staring out the window and just thinking about the fried rice which was more garlic than fried rice. 

 

 

 

 

Updated ! Finally! Oh my krisus 165 subscribers ? I really, honsely, did not expect that many people would find this fic enjoyable. Haha. Out of all my fics I never thought this would be entertaining enough to read. Still, I really thank you all for sticking to me till the end. I've recognized those that have been commenting from the start and not one comment is left un-read. ^^ 

School is starting soon for me. Like, five days left. TTTT^TTTT Sad. And remember how I wanted to finish this fic before school? Well, I still aim for that. I'd be busy with my 4th year and college preparations and stuff the moment I step in school again and I just don't want to leave this fic unfinished. 

Well. I love you guys. Thankyou for supporting me ^^

- Kleo ♥