18. Reconciliation

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

What were the odds that the person I swore I’d never cross paths with again would come back and haunt me? Everyday my phone rang with his name blinking every fraction of a second on the screen. I never answered of course. I was still scared; still being pulled back by the fear that past feelings would rush back without warning if I hear his voice.

Avoiding Jeremy’s calls was easy. I could turn off my phone and hide the battery. But once he appeared on my doorstep,  asking me to go have dinner with him, I couldn’t just throw out any kind of battery. There was no escape. Jeremy was again in front of me and there was nowhere for me to hide. My feet seemed to be nailed on the ground by some invincible force other than gravity.

“So, this Friday?” Jeremy asked, nervously tucking both hands in his pockets. “But it’s just a friendly dinner,” he quickly added.

“Just a friendly…dinner?” Suddenly it didn’t seem that bad.

“Yeah. You’re single. I’m single. Let’s celebrate our freedom,” Jeremy did his smile again. Two dimples popping on his pale cheeks.

My eyes widened “You’re single?”

He scrunched his face. “Yeah…Hye Jin was becoming a pain in the . She’s too clingy, it was suffocating,”

It was the first time I heard her name, Hye Jin. Her doll face as Jeremy closed the doors on me years ago replayed in my mind. She was prettier than me by a mile. With her beautiful wavy brown hair and that v-line chin that was the ideal type of all men.

So I found myself having a “friendly” dinner with my ex boyfriend. Days of the weeks went by faster than I thought it would. I was too busy with work that even time had been completely taken no notice off. I finally found a stable job at a coffee shop with the nicest boss and a family like bond within the staff.

I brushed my black hair for the hundredth time, contemplating whether I should tie it back or let it hang loose over my bare shoulder. I tried to look for a more decent dress in my cabinet but this black sleeveless cocktail dress was the best out of my nonexistent number of formal dresses. It was a formal date, as Jeremy announced, and he said he’d take me somewhere special.

Make-up had never been a problem for me because I simple despised that stuff. Restraining myself from rubbing my eyes is quite a feat since rubbing my eyes has become an involuntary habit. I tend to keep my make-up as simple and plain as possible.

The doorbell rang and my heart began throbbing. It was going crazy in my chest cavity out of nervousness. Jeremy was behind that door and he was going to pick me up for a date—I mean friendly dinner.  But why am I so nervous like how I was during our first date.

I plastered a smile over my worried expression. Satisfied as I looked at my reflection and realizing how good I can cover up my true emotions.

I went to the door, turning the knob with shaky hands. Jeremy’s eyes snapped to me, scanning me from head to toe making me conscious. “Wow uh. How come you never wore that before?”

“You know how I don’t like wearing dresses,” I rolled my eyes.

“So you wore that just for me?” Jeremy smiled, probably pleased at his false assumption.

“Are we going to have dinner or not?” I crossed my arms.

Jeremy’s head bent back as he laughed. “Still the same Bo Mi,”

Walking to his car, his hands reached for mine but I quickly pulled them back. Jeremy was surprised not only at my reaction but also at his own action. “Reflex,” he nervously laughed before tucking both hands in his jean’s pockets.

Reflex. Our hands were drawn to one another involuntarily like reflex. Have we really moved on?

The car ride was quiet. Of course, we were two people who used to love. What kind of conversation could you expect out of us? But still the silence suffocated both of us like a poisonous gas that we kept inhaling. I tried looking out the window, to admire the city in the night, but I couldn’t shrug off the idea that Jeremy is just a few inches away from me again. Jeremy also tried to ease up by turning on the radio but the coincidental back to back replay of love songs forced him to turn the device off again.

After what seemed hours of driving, we stopped in front of a familiar restaurant. I let my eyes study the compound, trying to remember why this place held a special spot in my memories. Jeremy got the door for me and we walked side by side—still separated by space I called “post breakup awkwardness”.

We sat down at a seat beside the window. The restaurant was filled with everything Italian. From the murals on the peach painted walls to the Italian music that made me tap my foot to the beat. Everything seemed familiar…and for a reason. It was the place where Jeremy took me for our first date as well.

Back when we were young and in love. We stayed until the restaurant closes, just letting words flow out and keeping the conversation going no matter how absurd our topic was. May it be a toothpaste commercial or the plump chef with the thick beard that makes the pasta.

It brought back so many beautiful memories that I couldn’t hold back my smile. Turning my eyes to Jeremy, I noticed how he was looking at me with the same soft smile that I had. He probably remembered those times as well.

“Let’s order?” Jeremy cheerfully sudgested.

As I was reaching for the menu, Jeremy took it from my reach. I eyed him in confusion. “Spaghetti Bolognese with Iced Tea. I know,” he said.

How did…ah of course. I order that same dish all the time. What surprises me is he still remembers even after all these years. Love fades but I guess the stain love leaves will forever be there. No amount of soap or water could wash it away.

The conversation flowed slowly but surely. We took caution on what we say. One wrong move could spark an argument and I sense that we both have had enough of bickering. For once I wanted to be peaceful with him and talk like friends and so did Jeremy.

He asked about how my life was going after years of not seeing one another. I replied simply, keeping out fine details that would bore Jeremy out. He’s not really good with long oral stories. That I’ve learned the hard way after wasting my saliva to tell him about my day and find him humbly sleeping.

When food arrived, we ate in silence but would make eye contact from time to time.

After dinner, we stayed for a while like tradition. Just talking about anything we could think of. Nothing has changed over the years. Jeremy would still be the one continuously talking, telling me interesting—sometimes funny—stories and I’d be the ears. He liked it when people listened to him and I liked listening. Maybe that’s why we were perfect for one another…but not too perfect I guess.

Just before the last costumer left, we stood up from our seats. Stepping outside, the wind hand changed temperatures to a colder one. I ran my hands over my bare shoulders, teeth chattering as I quivered. Jeremy took off his black coat and hung it around my shoulder, wrapping one arm around me and leading me to his car.

“Hey, watch it mister,” I looked at his arm around me.

Jeremy chuckled. “I’m doing this to warm you up, no romantic reasons. If we were best friends before we became couples, why can’t we go back to being best friends?”

That…was actually a nice suggestion. I’m not one to hate someone forever and Jeremy was one of my closest male friends before we became a couple.

Maybe hanging out as friends wouldn’t hurt. I mean...all my feelings for him has vanished right? So I think it’s safe. 

 

 

 

 

Updated after so many days oh my goodness. Writer's block is still haunting me I hate this D; And the fact that school is just around the corner for me is sad. I want to add though that I want to finish this fanfic before school starts because I'm going to concentrate on my fourth year. I even deactivated my twitter account so my attention is a hundred percent here. Yep I'll do my best to finish this 10+ days. 

sorry no exo member in this chapter. But they'd appear in the next don't worry. 

Btw, I made all of you confused on who to ship with Bo Mi on purpose. hihihihi. 

As Sehun says it...tharanghaeyo ♥

 

- Kleo ♥