Chapter 25

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

With Suho running in my thoughts 24/7, concentrating on work became quite a task. Still, after two days, Suho has not woken up yet from his coma. As each day passed, my worry grew. Though his vital signs showed no signs of failure and Suho’s doctor said he had already recovered, they didn’t know why my brother still wouldn’t wake up. 

“Are you sure nothing’s wrong with him. Why isn’t he waking up yet?” My panic stricken voice trembled as I clutched my brother’s hand tightly.

Jongdae, Suho’s doctor, looked through his checklist. “Nothing is wrong with him. Mr. Suho is recovering quite fast in fact. I’m sure he’ll wake up soon. Don’t worry,”

“Bo Mi don't touch that!”

The shot of electrifying pain crawled from the ends of my fingertips to my arm, waking me up completely Reflexively, I pulled my hand away from the pan but it was too late. I wailed in pain, staring at my throbbing red fingertips.

 

 

“You’ve been out of this world lately,” Kai commented while wrapping my fingertips in gauzes.

Not only did my boss notice this, but everyone at work as well. I still hadn’t told them about Suho except for Kai who knew almost everything about me. Kai was a very approachable man the same age as me. He had owned the coffee shop after it was passed down to him by his father. Kai’s family was a family of business and out of all the Kim family had, Kai wanted the coffee shop most. He told me that it had always been his dream to own one.  

“Sorry sir,” I shyly said, pulling back my hand and examining it.

“Stop calling me sir,” Kai chuckled. “We’re the same age. It’s awkward,”

He knew how to make me laugh even if I was at my most depressed state.

He flashed a toothy smile “That’s better,” Kai said. “You should take a break before you burn something,”

I rolled my eyes but did as he suggested. I did need a break or I might just break a cup or accidentally set the coffee shop on fire if I keep working at a condition like this.

Kai tapped me on the shoulder before he stood up and left me alone on the coffee table. Just then, the bells on the door chimed and the staff greeted the tall male that entered the shop. I slowly looked up, welcomed by Chanyeol’s wide grin and his bouncing curly hair as he strode to my table.

“Oh. Chanyeol, what are you doing here?” I asked, looking up at the tall male.

Chanyeol puffed his cheeks as he hastily sat down across me. “I need to ask you something,” he whispered with his deep voice.

“Ask me what?” I tilted my head.

The upbeat jazz music went in harmony with Chanyeol’s foot nervously tapping on the floor. He puffed his cheeks and his wide eyes just kept looking around, making me wonder what could Chanyeol want with me that would make him this agitated and fidgety.

Before I could ask, he took out a small box from his brown jacket and laid it on the center of the table. I gave the box a good hard look, trying to decipher what I’d do with the blue thing staring up at me.

“What’s this?” I took the box in my hands, examining every side of it, even the white ribbon that had it wrapped safely around with.

“Open it,” Chanyeol said with a large grin.

I did as told, opening the blue box until I saw the locket inside. A beautiful silver heart that glistened when the coffee shop’s light struck it. I caressed the surface of the object with my thumb, amazed at the stunning intricate pattern and the sparkling small diamond at the center to finish off the classy look. An accessory like this could’ve cost my whole month’s salary or more. Well, Chanyeol was Kris’ friend and Kris’ wealth was something I’ve grown to take notice and envy of.

“Wow. It’s beautiful,” I gasped. “Is it for…”

“Sun Mi,” Chanyeol finished for me.

“What occasion?” It wasn’t Sun Mi’s birthday nor was it Sun Mi’s promotion. She had been promoted to executive officer months ago and I’m sure Chanyeol already got her a bag as congratulations. Unless…

My eyes widened and I placed my hand over my mouth stupidly gaped open.

“I’m going to ask Sun Mi to be my girlfriend tonight. Do you think she will like this?” Chanyeol nervously laughed.

“Like it? She would love it!”

“You think?” He said, suddenly brightening with hope.

“I’m Sun Mi’s bestfriend. I know what she likes and what she wouldn’t like,” I proudly said.

Just like how proud I was that I am Sun Mi’s best friend, I’m quite serious about it as well. If she’s my best friend, then I wouldn’t want her to get hurt in any way. I’ve only seen her cry twice or thrice because of a guy and that was in high school, when blowing punches on male classmates wasn’t considered unfeminine yet.

But I know Chanyeol. Beneath that jolly outer appearance is a man whom I know wouldn’t think twice of hurting Sun Mi. I’ve noticed how he looked at her, how he protectively glared at men who gave her a meaningful top to bottom scan because Sun Mi was quite a female.

“So that means you’re giving me your blessing?” Chanyeol brightly asked.

“Aren’t blessings for weddings…never mind,” I sighed, laughing at this hopeless boy.

We stayed to talk about Chanyeol’s ingenious plan in asking Sun Mi to become his girlfriend. I gave him hints as to what Sun Mi wouldn’t like. For instance, I proposed that he wouldn’t use any lines from romantic movies because Sun Mi had seen each and every one of them. Chanyeol would just look like he’s recycling courting strategies.

It was amusing, how Chanyeol was all ears as I gave him tips as to what to do and what not to do. Was he this serious with my best friend? I couldn’t help but smile, realizing that the love Chanyeol was feeling was genuine. No man would exert this much effort for a girl whom he doesn’t love.

Came afternoon and Chanyeol bid me goodbye. I gave him my “fighting” which Chanyeol took eagerly. He stated how he needed as much “fighting” as he could while flapping his shirt nervously.

I watched Chanyeol’s retreating figure as he disappeared into his car.

“Good luck,” I whispered to nothing.