Chapter 23

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

Two children ran passed by us as they chased one another. Tao abruptly stops before he could collide with a child and we watched the two run further into the park and until their giggles faded into the city background.

Running; How long has it been since I ran like that—just feeling the breeze against my face as I laughed non-stop while chasing another? I ran before, but I want to run for no reason. Just to play.

It gave me an idea.

I suddenly lunge forward. Pushing with my legs as the wind slowly hits my face.

“Hey!” Tao called. I turned my head and challenged him to chase me while giggling like the little girl earlier. He didn’t get it at first but eventually, he played along and chased after me. We were two grown men and women playing around like the little children that eye us with wonder. I could only think of what is going on in their minds. They probably ask themselves “What are they doing? Are they kids?”

I didn’t care. I was laughing and Tao was laughing. My bun had completely undone and my hair flowed according to the wind. It was a new feeling and I did not want it to end.

Suddenly, the rain poured at a fast rate. Children ran to their mothers and everyone searched for shelter while I continued to run. I ran and played in the rain for the first time ever in my life. It was a new feeling; kind of late in my age to experience but better late than never.

 Tao toppled over me when I abruptly stopped and we fell to the wet dirt—him on top. Both with muddy drenched clothes, we still had the insanity left in us to laugh.  

Our eyes made contact and the fact that our faces were only inches away from one another and our hot breaths were felt on our skin struck us.

He helped me up and we too looked for shade under a tree. The bundles of leaves served as our natural umbrella as we waited for the rain to cease. While waiting, I wiped away all traces of mud as much as possible. Tao even offered to wipe the leaves off my back.

“Why did you suddenly run?” Tao asked, patting the leaves off his shirt.

“Nothing. I wanted to run like the kids. Ah I really don’t know,” I shyly admitted.

“Did it hurt when I fell on top of you?” He said with growing concern as he eyed me.

Nothing seemed to be in pain so I shook my head. We fell on soft mud and if I did bump my head, I was too high in excitement to feel its pain.  

 

 

He took me to Han Gang river as our final destination for the day. Walking there, we received curious stares from passersby at our wet state—which we just laughed off. Their faces amused us who were too happy today; anything could make us laugh.

 Sitting down on a bench near the river, the breeze aided in drying our clothes and hair; sending me shivering every time the wind hits my skin. My hands were especially trembling and rubbing them against one another was not helping at all.

Tao moved closer to my side of the bench and takes my hand in his warm ones. He sandwiches my smaller fingers then intertwines them with his. Even if this action made me stiffen, the warmth that it provided to my trembling fingers told me to let it be.

I let Tao play with my fingers until the warmth in his hands had completely transferred to mine.

“Thankyou,” I said, pulling my hand once Tao had freed them.

My attention was brought to a couple seated on the grass and a sudden memory of Kris made me keep my attention on them. I watched the two as they took the same pose we were at when we went to Han Gang river. The light shining against Kris’ calm face that very same afternoon had permanently marked itself in my memories. Come to think of it, many memories that included Wu Fan had unconsciously been imprinted in my brain cavity. I never noticed until now.

“Is everything okay?” Tao snapped me back to reality. I tore my eyes away from the couple and idly kick a rock.

“I just remembered someone,”

“Someone,” Tao repeated, staring into the river.

 

The sky had gone dark when our clothes had finally dried. Stars replaced the dark cloudy heavens and surprisingly, it was a clear night sky. The full moon shone light at the river as it sparkled amidst the city lights that also shone on it. Moonlight was entirely more beautiful. I stared at the moon with a clear mind and my thoughts drift once again until I felt Tao’s attention on me.

“Is something on my face?” I consciously wiped my cheeks.

Tao shook his head and he averted his gaze to the river.

“You wanted to tell me something right? You promised you would tell me at the end of our date,” I pouted, shoving his arm playfully.

“Hmm…I’ll…teach you another Chinese phrase. You think you can pronounce it correctly?” Tao weakly twitched his lips into a smile. I readily accepted the challenge and sit so I faced him—he did the same.

“Wo juede,” Tao started.

I repeated, attempting to copy even his accent.

“Wo ai ni,” Tao whisperes. “Wo juede wo ai ni,”

Almost immediately, the atmosphere changed. Everything was hushed, so were our heavy breaths and I could hear only my heart pounding inside my chest as Tao inches his face closer to mine. The slope of his nose, his eyes that carefully lingered on my lips and my lips only drew me forward. 

“What does that mean?” I asked with a weak voice as I dazed at his features under the moonlight.

Before Tao kissed me, he mumbled. “I think I love you,”

 

 

 

I feel like my two chapters were kinda lame. omg i'm so sorry. TT_TT If I had typos, I'll correct them when I have time. ^^ wew. hihihihihi. I hope I didn't seem like I'm rushing Bo Mi and Tao but I thought that this would be the perfect oppertunity to place a kiss. ^^Credit the chinese to my twitter friend @taopits. Follow her, she's amaejing and I love her sfm. ♥ In case you wonder, I'm @byvngjoe. 

To those who still sticks with me even if I rarely update, I love you so much I can give you all my sarang if I could. :>>>

Will update probably soon since no classes the day after tomorrow. Yipee!

- Kleo ♥