Chapter O1

When you thought I speak Mandarin

 

I made my miserable way back to the apartment complex where I lived. Now that my mind was occupied by nothing but bitter memories of Jeremy, I remembered how he used to live with me. Thinking about him brought back the tears I had just managed to stop. I can't believe I fell in too deep into his love that I can't dig myself out.

People have given me annoyed glares when I kept bumping into them. A couple sneered at me when I mindlessly walked between them, unlinking their knotted fingers.

"Sorry," I did a slight bow.

The guy just rolled his eyes and the couple went on. I don't think I can make it to my apartment alive.

Again my eyes on the pavement caused me to bump into another figure. I looked up alertly. There was a large crowd of people and I found myself in it.
 
Since I was halfway in the crowd I might as well get through to the very center and see what's happening.

"Try your luck and win a prize!" A girl with plump cheeks and long wavy hair kept repeating though there were already a lot of people at  the table.

The girl caught me staring blankly and must've mistaken me for someone who was interested to join. She motioned me to come closer.

"Ma'am, want to try your luck for a small price?" She pointed to a wheelbarrow looking thing.

An old man spun the barrow. There were rustling sounds, probably pebbles or balls inside. The barrel slowly stopped and a white ball fell out. Based on his saddened face, white must have no value.

"Sure," I searched in my pocket for change and handed it to her.

It was my turn to spin the barrow. Actually I had no strategies like how strong I should spin the wheelbarrow. I just spun it and watched it spin. Luck was never in my favor. Luck in school, luck on life and especially on love. What chance would I have with this one?

The barrel slowly stopped. Everyone else except me had a stupid anticipating face on, I wanted to laugh. At least this was lifting my spirits. I cupped my mouth to prevent a slight chuckle from coming out.

Suddenly a golden ball fell out. The crowd gasped, some clapped. The babo me looked at them and the plump cheeked girl I will call snow white.

"What does gold mean?" I asked.

"It means you won!" Snow white reached a white envelope towards me. Behind me, the crowd was beginning to disperse.

I grabbed the envelope. "What is my prize anyway?"

"A trip to China for two!"
 




"A what?!" Sun Mi ran to me on my living room couch. She just barged in my apartment causing me to jump. Sun Mi is my childhood and best friend. After I called to her about the China thing, she probably flew here in excitement. Considering the fact that I just called her.

"Relax. Sit down. Breathe," I folded my legs and made space for her to sit.

Su Mi took a moment to catch her breath. Did she run here? Sweat prickled down her forehead and her fringe was sticking to her skin. "You really won a trip to China? Wow Bo Mi I never knew you had this kind of luck. I always thought you were the bad luck magnet type of person," Sun Mi joked.

Yes I was the kid who always cried during kindergarten because I tripped, the one who kept spilling juice on herself and other bad things. Like I said, luck was never on my side.

"I guess the odds were in favor of me this time," I turned the T.V on to a news station, placing my attention there. "Do you want the tickets?"

"What?" Sun Mi shrieked, looking at me like I said the most ridiculous thing ever.

"I don't want the tickets," I clarified.

I suddenly found a pillow flying to my face. Thanks to the basic martial arts skills that I learned from middle school P.E, I managed to block myself. “What the?” I slammed the pillow back at her.

"Are you stupid or are you stupid?" Sun Mi said. "You want to give away your FREE trip to China? Are you sick or something?" she placed her hand on my forehead. I slapped it away.

"I just don't need it," I said changing the t.v to a music station.

"Look at it this way. China is your getaway from everything here. You're stupid boss you always complain about, the landlady, and Jeremy,"

Jeremy's name made me stop raising the volume on Sun Mi's nagging.

Sun Mi stayed over for dinner. The table was quiet since none of us brought up the ticket topic. She had to leave immediately after because Sun Mi had work to attend to tomorrow.

As I cleaned the plates we used, I kept asking myself. Is this really because of Jeremy?

"Let's travel to other countries when we get married"

He used to say. I bit my lip. Maybe it is. I washed up and changed to my pajamas. I crawled under the sheets of the bed, closing my tired eyes. Just like any other night, my attempt to sleep soundly was unsuccessful as I opened my eyes again.

The two people bed felt empty without Jeremy's presence. Where he was supposed to sleep, now only a space was left. I slid my hand over the cloth where his skin used to touch. A tear fell to my pillows and I wiped the others before they flowed out.

I missed seeing his face before I slept: Jeremy's beautiful brown eyes under his brown hair. For a moment I saw him beside me smiling, making his eyes form two upside-down smiles. Unconsciously I smiled too.

I tossed to my other side. This can't go on. Jeremy has his new life and I should get him out of mine. Maybe I do need to go to China.

The more space between us, the better.

 


 

Okay the first chapter was probably boring. Author-nim is sorry ~ 

I wanted to introduce Jeremy and Bo Mi's past life. I hope it didn't dissapoint anyone too much.

Don't worry, I'll probably introduce an Exo member in the next chapter.

 

- Kleo ♥