Voice That Brightens A Room

The Worst in Goodbyes

Kyuhyun has beaten me in all four rounds of Starcraft. This kid really has to control his Starcraft addiction. As Kyuhyun was beating me again for the fifth time, Leeteuk-hyung and Eunhyuk came home after their schedule of Kiss the Radio.

“Still up?” Leeteuk-hyung asked when he saw Kyuhyun and I playing at the living room.

Kyuhyun is too absorbed in the game that his poker face was so extreme. I know I’ll get beaten, I didn’t know I’ll be beaten flat! Kyuhyun is just great at games. Most of the time he’s taking his time lurking at my base camp, I’ll just take my time on eating this burger beside me. Take your time, and I’ll take my time finishing this burger. 

Eunhyuk was observing my game. “You’re losing, you know,” he said.

“I was losing an hour ago. This is our fifth game,” I said after I swallowed down a huge bite of burger.

“We’re you playing with me?” Kyuhuyn interrupted. “I thought I was playing with myself. I didn’t know it’s a one-on-one game.” Kyuhyun was laughing at his own words.

I immediately smack the top of Kyuhyun’s head and gave him an annoyed pout. “Shut up,” I said.

Eunhyuk pushed me aside and continued my game. “Loser, get off, I’ll save your game,” he said.

“Try as you can, I can beat you with my eyes closed,” Kyuhyun said with a smirk on his face.

I ignored the two and made my way to the kitchen where Leeteuk-hyung was looking for food on the fridge. He couldn’t seem to decide whether to take the apple on his left hand or the cold pasta on his right.

“Eat both,” I said, coming closer.

He sighed. “I want meat.”

“Want me to order out?” I asked.

“No thanks, I’ll just eat this,” he said, raising the pasta with his right hand. He took the plastic wrap off the plate and popped the thing to the microwave. Soon as the microwave timer was set, Leeteuk-hyung faced me. He looked serious.

“What?” I asked. I placed the burger down.

“Mind me asking but, how’s Soojin?”

Ah, Soojin.

“Soojin’s great…I guess.”

Leeteuk-hyung has the unsatidfied look on his face. “That’s it?” he asked.

“Well, she sent me pictures a week ago. She looks great…beside the fact that her hair is gone due to chemotherapy. But her usual smile was always there.” I sighed. “I just hope she’s not hurting too much.”

Leeteuk-hyung gave a sympathetic smile. He patted my shoulder and said, “Just believe in her. She can withstand this.”

I also wished the same. “I miss her,” I said.

“Who doesn’t?” The microwave gave a soft ‘ding’ along with my phone ringing.

“DONGHAE-AH!” Eunhyuk called. “SOMEONE’S CALLING,” he said as he waved my phone in the air.

I ran to the living room and grabbed my phone from Eunhyuk’s hands. I look at the caller ID but I can’t figure out the number. Who’s this?

“Hello?” I asked.

“Donghae-ah…” said an angelic voice; the voice I’ve been waiting for three months to hear. “How’s my fish doing?”

I couldn’t hide my smile. Kyuhyun, Eunhyuk and Leeteuk-hyung were looking at me. “Soojin?”

“Expecting someone else?” she said.

“I…no. I’m glad you called!” I was jumping all over the place. I manage to even hug Leeteuk-hyung and jump up and down the couch. “Are you okay? How are you feeling? How’s your medication? Tell me everything, please. Oh…I miss you Soojin!”

Leeteuk-hyung, Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun share the same shy smile. The Starcraft battle died down. Eunhyuk mouthed ‘Loudspeaker!’ but I replied ‘Later!” to him.

“Ummm…you received my picture last week, haven’t you?” she asked.

“Well, I got it.”

“I’m bald, that’s what happened.”

“Bald or not, you still look beautiful…”

The three bystanders “oooohhh~”ed at the same time, giddy from my words.

“Loudspeaker-juseyo!” Eunhyuk shouted.

“Is someone with you?” Soojin asked.

“Just the members…”

“Oh, can I speak to them too?” she asked.

“Can I speak to you a little more in private? I haven’t heard you voice for three months. I want you on my own.”

“About that…I’m sorry I didn’t call for too long.”

“Why didn’t you call anyway?”

She sighed. “Recuperation is a bit hard. The first month, I was under observation and they’ve given me loads of test. Then, I have chemotherapy this and last month.”

“Did it hurt?” I was hoping she’ll say no.

“A bit…”

My hyper actions were suddenly stopped. I sat down on the couch. Leeteuk-hyung was observing my movements again.

“Soojin, be strong. I know you can survive this. I believe in you,” I said while looking at Leeteuk-hyung. He smiled when I said that, because it was his own words.

“Of course, I can. I have you, right? I have you as my lucky charm. Oh…from now on, you’ll be my lamp.”

“Lamp…still remember that, huh?” I asked.

“Of course! Weren’t I your lamp before?” she asked. “Except now, my light is dimming.”

Dimming? Soojin-ah.

“You’re brighter than the sun…” I suddenly said.

She blurted out a little laugh. “Thanks…”

“Why are you so cheesy, Donghae?” Kyuhyun said, looking awkward.

“You mean romantic,” I replied.

“AH, LET US SPEAK TO HER TOO!” Eunhyuk blurted out again.

Soojin was laughing now. Oh, it’s so good to hear her laughter. Soojin-ah, fighting.

“Alright!” I yelled. I pressed the speaker on my phone.

“Hello?” Soojin said; everyone in the room celebrated.

“Soojin-sshi, how are you?” Eunhyuk asked.

“I’m doing fine. How about you guys?”

“Don’t worry about us. We’re on top of our game right now. We’re the greatest!” Leeteuk-hyung said. Why is it that I felt so embarrassed by that statement?

Suddenly, Sungmin, Yesung and Ryeowook cameout from their rooms.

“I thought I heard someone said Soojin?” Sungmin asked.

“She’s here,” Eunhyuk said, pointing at my phone.

“Is that Sungmin?” Sooji asked.

“Oh, Soojin-sshi, how are you?” he asked, sitting beside Kyuhyun. Ryewook and Yesung-hyung did the same and sat beside each other on the floor.

“I’m fine. By the way, thank you,” she said. “The hospital is really taking care of me very well. And Dr. Park is giving so much help. Send my thanks to him, will you?”

“I will,” Sungmin answered.

“Oh…how many are you there anyway?” Sooji asked.

“Ummm…Eunhyuk’s here, Leeteuk-hyung, Yesung-hyung, Ryeowookie, Kyuhyun, Sungmin and I…” I said.

“What time is it there?”

“It’s 10:30 pm…”

“Oh… did I woke you up…”

“It’s fine, it’s still early.”

“Early, huh? Before you told me 10 pm is TOO late…”

“I did not!” I said, defensively.

“Of course you did.”

“ANYWAY,” leeteuk-hyung interrupted, “Soojin, you best take care of yourself, alright. We’ll meet you here in Korea again, okay?”

“Yes, sir!”

She probably saluted again.

“Take care, Soojin-noona,” Ryeowook greeted.

“I will, thank you!” she replied.

I turned off the speaker phone and put the phone to my ear. “Soojin, take care.”

“I will.”

I whispered, “I love you so much.”

“Me too,” she answered.

“I miss you already.”

“I miss you more.”

“AND…Donghae’s cheesy-ness have jump into another level. Cut it out!” Eunhyuk said.

“You’re just jealous. Eunhyuk is jealous again because of you,” I teased.

Soojin laughed. I wish Australia is just around the corner so that I could see her laugh again.

“Soojin-ah, you better rest and rest well, okay? I’ll call you…”

“Ummm, no, I’ll call you.”

“Why?”

“You don’t know when I am conscious. Most of the time I’m sleeping my recovery off.”

“Oh…well in that case, I’ll wait for your call. I don’t care if were on the middle of our performance…”

“HEY!” Leeteuk-hyung yelled.

MERONG.

“I’ll wait for your call…SOOJIN FIGHTING!”

“DONGHAE FIGHTING, SUPER JUNIOR FIGHTING!”

“Bye…”

“Bye… I love you!”

And the call ended. Every single one of my members has a smile on their faces. Soojin brighten up the room even she’s not physically present. Her voice is enough to make me smile, to make everyone in this room smile. God, I miss her so much. I wish I was the one taking care of her in Australia.

Leeteuk-hyung patted my back. “She’s fine.”

“I know she is. I have no doubts anymore.”

 

 

________________________________________________________

Yey! Soojin called. Donghae's happy, everyone's happy.

Again, sorry for typos. Thanks for reading. Dont forget to comment.

~Crina