Alone Time at Nighttime

The Worst in Goodbyes

I woke up in my hotel room with a smile on my face. The room itself made me feel like a princess. The mattress was superb with its rich red color. The walls are almost white in color but huge, framed painting hung on the walls. The TV, hung in front of the bed, was a big black, flat screen. Luxurious, huh? If I like the bed, I definitely like the bathroom. It has a huge tub and creamy colored tiles. The mirror in there was big and little trinkets are organized around the sink. It was gorgeous.

But the most breath-taking part of the room was the big window that showed me the wonderful city of Seoul. I was at the 8th floor, high enough to see how the buses, taxis and cars, stop and go at traffic lights; high enough to see people walk on the side walk, hurrying to their destination; high enough to feel free in this bustling city.

5:00 PM. At noon, I fell asleep on this bed I am in, and just woke up. I was preoccupied organizing my things on the closet, flipping through the channels of my enormous TV and continuously stare outside the window that I feel exhausted I went to sleep. Now, fun time!

I reach for my phone sitting on the bedside table. I had so many missed calls, voice messages and texts from, whom else, Donghae.

One of the messages said: “Yah! Why aren’t you answering your phone! Answer it!”

One of his voice messages said: “Soojin-ah~~~ Where are you? ANSWER YOUR PHONE!”

Here we go again. With these messages, it feels like I have a bodyguard, or a nosy guardian angel.

I dialed his phone number and it rang.

“Donghae!” I greeted.

“Yah! Why aren’t you answering my calls?” he asked; annoyance in his tone.

“I fell asleep,” I simply said.

There was a pause before another word was said; getting awkward by the second.

“Anyway,” Donghae continued, “we’ll have a field trip around Seoul. I’ll pick you up later at six.”

“Don’t you have a schedule? Your comeback will be the day after tomorrow? Aren’t you going to practice?” I asked continuously, getting curious.

“Will you relax? It’s our night-off. But tomorrow…” he sighed, “I’m afraid you have to go around Seoul all by yourself.”

“I see…”

“I’m free tomorrow.” A familiar voice said coming from his side.

“Sungmin-hyung, go away!” Donghae shouted, annoyed. “ And no one is free tomorrow. We have to practice remember.”

“You don’t know my schedule…”

“Will you stop it?” I said.

“I’m really free tomorrow,” Sungmin still insisted.

There was a loud smack coming from the other line. Sungmin withheld a loud “YAH!” and rustling sound came after.

At the top of my voice, I cried “Stop it!” Their acting like kids, OVER ME!

“I can handle myself. Besides, I have to go somewhere tomorrow.”

“We’ll talk later. I just have to kill a rabbit. Bye.”

Donghae turned off his phone. What’s the big deal? Are they REALLY fighting? Over as simple as I DON’T HAVE A COMPANION FOR TOMORROW? They’re acting like kids, no, babies. Why did Donghae have to react like that to Sungmin? Is he jealous?

NEVER!

5:20 PM. I realized that it’s another forty minutes before Donghae will pick me up. I don’t know exactly where we are going but, I know Donghae, I can’t say no to that Fish.

I pick up some clothes from the closet and laid it on the bed. I took a shower and put my clothes on. I wore a simple white frilly dress, topped with a blue jean like vest, black jeans and a nice pair of navy blue sneakers. I tied my hair to one side, put on a black rimmed glasses and I’m good to go.

5:50 PM. I waited for Donghae’s call as I watched TV. I flipped through the channels and never seem to find the perfect show to watch. I finally gave up and turned off the TV, throwing the remote control to the center of the bed where I am sitting.

I quietly waited for Donghae’s call as I stand in front of the window, soaking in the now dimming sky and brightening streets of Seoul. It was wonderful.

After minutes of waiting, my phone rang at last.

“Hello?” I answered.

It was Dad.

“How’s my baby girl?” he asked in his sweet voice.

“I’m okay. So is Seoul. It’s wonderful. And by the way, thanks for reserving this wonderful hotel room,” I gladly said.

“Is it great?”

“Yes.”

“Did you go to the hospital yet?”

Here we go again with the hospital. I’m fine, so is my tummy.

“I’m going tomorrow.”

A pause came after. I wonder what Dad is thinking.

“After the results come out, call immediately, okay?”

“I will,” I simply said.

“Mom is cooking dinner right now but she said to take care of yourself, alright?” he said.

“I will. I love you Dad. Sent my love to Mom too.” I made a kissing sound. I heard Dad made the same.

“Bye,” he said.

“Bye.” I turned my phone off.

Seconds later my phone rang again.

“Soojin-ah.” This time it’s Donghae. “I’m outside the hotel. Go in front of a blue car.”

“Where are we…”

Why does he always do that?

Even though I was annoyed, I followed his instructions. I grabbed my bag from the bed and stormed off to the elevator and out of the hotel. Sure did, there was a blue car a few meters away from the entrance. Donghae’s bright smile greeted me.

I closed in to the car and stopped in front of the car’s passenger door. The window rolls down and he told me to, “Come in!”

“Tell me first where we are going.” I throw a tantrum at him, not so sure why I did.

Donghae looked confused and scratched his head. He leaned over to the passenger seat to take a look at me.

“Are you mad at me?”

I quickly opened the door without warning, making him jump in fright. I put on the seat belt and crossed my arms in front of my chest.

“Next time…” I thought for an excuse. “…Don’t turn off your phone when I’m talking. I’ll kill you if you do.”

Donghae smiled and turned the engine on. “Okay. I’m sorry.”

He drove smoothly to the highway, towards only he knows where.

 

After a long and tiring ride, we were at the Han River.

There was a long and wide bridge in front of us. The lights on the bridge made the darkening sky brighten up, making me filled with excitement and delight. Few people stopped and take pictures of themselves, while others sit down and admire the sight in front of them.

Donghae told me to sit in one of the benches placed near the edge of the river. As do as I was told, feeling in the cold and refreshing air. Donghae finally came to where I was, holding a bag of snacks. he handed me a soda and I opened it.

“It’s fascinating, huh?” he asked.

“Yes,” I answered. “There's nothing like this in Mokpo.”

He smiled and drank a huge gulp of soda.

It was nice to have this alone time with Donghae, ‘cause it’s been a long time. And that last alone time is when we talked about his father, in the cemetery. I always prevented myself to not think about that moment anymore. Thinking about Donghae’s father’s death makes me sad, it’s like thinking that my father had left me, and I can’t stand that. Seeing Donghae’s smiles on TV and now made me feel more stable and happy that he’s moving on with life, seeing life in a new light.

Seeing life in a new light…

I can’t bear to see him sad again.

I just can’t.

“What are you thinking of?” he asked all of a sudden.

“Nothing.” I looked far away, avoiding answering his question.

He smirked. “You think a lot, you know that?”

“No I don’t.”

“Yes you do,” he said. He made a silly face, pouting his lips and putting a frown, a crease formed in his forehead. “You do this face when you think.”

I smacked his arm and he quickly laughed to himself.

“I certainly don’t!”

“Yes you do.”

But I laughed to, giving in from his silly face.

He stopped laughing and looked at the bridge, gulping in some soda.

Out of nowhere, he asked “I have a question.”

“What is it?” I asked, interested.

“What will you do if I want to jump off that bridge?”

WHAT A RANDOM QUESTION!

“Are kidding me? I thought you were going to ask something important.”

“Just answer my question.” He looked at me with his preciously puppy eyes, looking at me with curiosity.

“Well…” I started, looking at the bridge.

I paused and thought of an answer, making him go impatient.

“What?”

“If you were to jump off that bridge, I’ll jump first.”

He froze from my answer. “What? But you’ll die…”

“I’ll jump first… so I can catch you at the bottom.”

 He froze the second time, but a smile hangs on his face, his eyes doing the same. I didn’t think he’ll have this reaction, but who cares, so long that his amused.

“You do love me…”

“Of course! You’re my… friend…”

Thank goodness its dark, he won’t see how red my face is.

Two girls walked towards us, making us sat up straight in alarm.

“Excuse me, but are you Lee Donghae of Super Junior?” one of the girls asked giddily, holding a pen and a notebook in her obviously shaking hand.

Donghae smiled and bowed to the girls. They squirmed in delight.

“How may I help you?” he asked.

“Can you sign this for us?” the girls said, handing the pen and notebook to Donghae.

He reached for the pen and notebook and signed it happily. I noticed one of the girls is looking at me in suspicion. Donghae returned the things to the girls and smiled to them.

“Donghae-oppa…” the other girl started.

It’s so funny hearing ‘Donghae-oppa’ from other people. I’ll never get used to that.

“…who is she?” she asked in curiosity.

 “Oh!” he exclaimed, like he just remembered I was with him. “This is my childhood friend. She’s visiting from Mokpo. She said she’ll cheer in our comeback stage.” He winked at both of the girls, making them squirm again in delight.

I bowed at them and gave them a smile. “Nice to meet you.”

“Unni, nice to meet you too. We are Donghae-oppa’s number one fans!”

“Really? Then you should take care of my best friend when I’m not around okay?” they have this annoyingly sweet, giddy smile on their faces. If I think about it, they must have taken my words literally. DON’T HARASS DONGHAE WHILE I’M GONE!

They both bowed and waved goodbye.

“I think we better go,” I said, picking up my soda from the bench.

“Why?”

“We’ll be trampled to death if we stay here?”

“What?”

I pointed in a nearby bench. The two girls probably were gossiping that Lee Donghae is in the area. He quickly stood up and grabbed my bag, walking hastily to the car parked nearby.

“Where should we go next?” he asked.

“I don’t know? I thought you’re my tour guide.”

“Okay, then I know just the place.”

“May I asked where are you dragging me again?” I asked as I followed his fast pace.

“Fancy seeing my brothers?”

“You mean…”

“Yup.”

Oh. My. Gravy.

I’m meeting…THEM!

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________

Long time no update. Here you go!

Enjoy!

~Crina