Best Support System

The Worst in Goodbyes

AN: Soojin's POV / Donghae's POV

 

________________________________________________________________________________

At four in the morning, Donghae decided to take me to my hotel. Leeteuk and Sungmin stayed at the living room until I finally get all my stuff. Donghae changed his clothes and got his car key.

“Drive carefully,” Leeteuk demanded.

“Of course I will,” Donghae answered.

Sungmin opened the door and bade goodbye. “Take care, Soojin.”

“Thanks,” I said. “Thank you for everything.”

“Don’t thank me just yet; I still have to talk to Dr. Park to help you in your medication.”

My eyes widened. “Sungmin…you are so awesome!” I blurted out. Out of nowhere, I hugged Sungmin.

“Ummm….Soojin….” he said.

“What?”

“Please let go,” he simply said.

“Why?” I said, letting go of our hug and looking at him straight in his face.

He pointed somewhere behind me. I turned around. Sure enough, there was Donghae pouting in rage.

“Don’t…” Donghae started, and then wrapped his arms around my shoulder, “ever accept a hug from my girlfriend.” Then he looked at me and said, “Your impulse . Let’s go.”

I saw Leeteuk smacked Sungmin’s left arm.

“Goodbye,” I told Leetuek and Sungmin. They smiled and waved at me.

At the elevator, Donghae was still pouting.

“All of your hugs should only be given to ME, okay?” he said in between pouts. “Your impulse .”

“Okay, stop. I’m sorry,” I pleaded. “I was just so happy that Sungmin will help…”

“I will help you too!” he interrupted.

“Fine, I’m sorry,” I told him and gave him a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Donghae hugged me back. “Much better,” he said, smiling from ear to ear.

 

Donghae park the car in front of the hotel. As I took off my seat belt, Donghae took my left hand and held it tightly.

“I don’t think I can let go of you just yet. Stay here,” he said.

“You should go back home and have some sleep. I know you’ll be dreadfully tired later on.”

Donghae looked at me straight to my eyes. Closer and closer he moved towards me, until our lips met. It may be a small kiss, but my heart would burst open in happiness. As we are inch away from each other, I said, “Goodbye, Hae.”

“Don’t say that word,” he said seriously.

“What?”

“Don’t say goodbye. I don’t want to hear it from you.”

Donghae didn’t let go of my hand. He my cheeks gently with his thumb and kissed it. I saw a slight smile on his lips, but then vanished when our eyes met again.

“Do you know the worst in goodbyes?” he asked, all of a sudden.

I shook my head.

“The worst in goodbyes is the uncertainty of meeting again. Goodbyes are saddening; it pulls you down, it makes you unhappy. I never want to hear it from you because…I never want or even to imagine living this life without you.”

Then, both of us went silent. Silently, we stared at each other’s eyes and held each other’s hands.

“I’ll change it then,” I said, smiling.

Donghae looked intrigued.

“I’ll see you later, my fish,” I said, pinching his cheeks until he smile.

“Much better,” he said, and then kissed my hand.

I went out of the car and waved at soon as he took the road again.    

 

I drove off. As soon as I saw Soojin at the rearview mirror waving her hands to me, my eyes sting again. My heart was pounding of frustration and sadness that I couldn’t think straight. Thinking I’ll end up in an awful situation, I pulled over a couple of blocks away from Soojin’s hotel. I hit the steering wheel with all my might; blow by blow I released my anger.

“Why her?” I cried again. “Why my best friend?”

I cried and cried until no more tears fell. Exhausted, I drove myself home.

I struggled to even push the button of the elevator. Walking inside the elevator also makes me weak; it was like I suddenly had claustrophobia. I had to lean on the wall to balance myself; like every part of my body was not working very well.

At last, I was finally in front of our dorm. I opened the door and was surprised to see Leeteuk-hyung sitting on the couch, legs crossed while wearing his white rimmed eyeglasses; the look on his face looks like he’s been thinking really hard.

He saw me and said, “Donghae, are you okay?” while he made his way to me. I hugged him really tight when he went closer. Then, I cried again.

“Hyung, why is He doing this to me? First was my father. Now, it’s Soojin.” I cried really hard. Leeteuk-hyung was patting my back, trying to calm me, but it was of no use. I still cried my heart out.

“Donghae, things happen for a reason. All we have to do is to accept things.”

“NO!” I cried. I pushed Hyung away. “I accepted the first one, and I accepted it wholeheartedly. Now He’s picking on me the second time. Tell me how can I just let this thing go? How can I let it go when he’s taking all my love ones one-by-one? When Soojin… I can’t even say it. What will happen after this then? Who’s going to be next? My mom? You? JESUS, I CANT TAKE THIS ANYMORE!”

Leeteuk-hyung grabbed me and hugged me again. “Stop, Donghae, just please stop.” This time, both of us were crying.

“What is this drama?” someone said.

Heechul-hyung was standing a few feet away from us. He finally approached us and also joined in the hug. “What’s the matter with the both of you? You’re acting really strange, hugging at so early in the morning.” But I noticed Heechul-hyung’s eyes were b with tears. Heechul-hyung bowed his head to Leeteuk-hyung’s shoulders as he continued to cry.

Then, one-by-one, my members came out of their hiding and joined the group hug. Shindong and Kangin-hyung were shouting like it was a celebratory hug. But then, Kangin-hyung spoke.

“Donghae-ah, I really don’t pray that much, but I will even go to church just to pray for Soojin’s health to be well.”

I saw Leeteuk-hyung smiled. I couldn’t help but smile either.

“Thank you, everyone,” I said. “I’m so lucky to have the best support team in the entire universe.”

Then the group hug was broken, and I hugged each and every one of the members. I hugged Sungmin last, but on purpose.

“Sungmin-hyung, I want to talk to you.”

“Sure,” he said.

I pulled Sungmin-hyung to my bedroom and closed the door.

“Can you please tell Dr. Park to do everything for Soojin? Please, I’m begging you. I’ll even pay even all that I earned.”

“You don’t have to do that,” Sungmin said, a smile present in his face. “Dr. Park said the same thing to Soojin. All we have to do right now is to pray for Soojin’s medication to go well. And about the medical bills, don’t worry about it. My dad said he’s going to help. There’s also an institute abroad that’s going to help her.”

Again, I hugged Sungmin. “Thanks a bunch,” I said, now smiling.

“Don’t mention it,” he replied.

“So, then, where exactly abroad?” I asked.

“That…I have no idea.”

 

Mom and Dad came to the hotel, bags packed and eyes puffy. The first thing Mom did was to hug me really tight and kissed every square inch of my face. Dad, well…he’s a guy; guys are not meant to be sensitive, except for Donghae. I lead the way to my hotel room.

“We really want to meet Dr. Park right now,” Dad said, sitting down on the couch.

“We’ll see him later, Dad,” I said.

Mom was busy worrying at things as she stared at the street outside. Even the slightest movement in the room, she would flinch.

“Mom, are you alright?” I asked when I noticed her unusual action.

She looked upset. “How can I be alright? How can YOU be alright? For goodness sake, Soojin, you have cancer. I don’t think it’s wise to be calm at this moment.” And she started to tear up. Dad was looking at her, but didn’t do anything. Then Dad looked at me, and gave me a slight smile.

Dad stood up and walk towards me. He pulled me in a tight hug. “Soojin,” he said, “my lovely daughter. I will never let anything bad happen to you.” He kissed my forehead.

“Thanks, Dad,” I replied.

“Oh…Soojin, come here,” Mom demanded. When I was in front of her, she hugged me too. Her tears are weakening. I don’t want to see them cry over me. Not again.

“I love you, Mom,” I manage to say between sniffs.

“I love you more, Soojin,” Mom said. “I’ll pray to the heavens to make you well.”

“That’s what Super Junior said to me.”

Mom and Dad looked baffled. “They know?” they said in unison.

“Yes,” I replied, “Sungmin-oppa was the first to know.”

“What about Donghae?” Dad asked. They both share the same worried face. They looked at me and waited for my response earnestly.

“He…didn’t take it very well. He sort of ‘pushed’ me away when I told him.”

“And…” Mom said, wanting to know more.

“We’ll we sort out everything just now,” I said, trying to relieve their frustration. “Would you believe he asked me to be his girlfriend after all of this?”   

They both gaped at me. “What?” they said in unison. Seriously, they are soul mates.

Dad looked excited. “Donghae? He…finally…”

“So what did you tell him?” Mom asked.

“Tell him what?”

“Did you agree to be his girlfriend?” Mom wanted to squeeze the answer out of me.

“Mom…I…”

“Did you?”

“Yes…”

Then out of nowhere, they both smiled. It was like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, a ray of sunshine in a stormy day, a white flag in a war, a sudden display of miracle.

“Are you kidding me?” I said, getting frustrated at their actions. “You were both gawking at me a while ago because I have cancer. Now you’re both happy and cheerful because Donghae is my boyfriend? Sheesh!” Honestly, I almost kicked the couch.

“Soojin, don’t be angry,” Dad said. “I’ve been wanting for you two to be in a relationship.”

Oh…Okay.

“Me too,” Mom said.

I sighed. “Too bad it’s at the wrong time. Too bad it’s too late.”

“It’s never too late,” Dad said sternly. “We’ll go immediately to Dr. Park and we’ll ask everyway of medication for you to get well. No matter how expensive it takes, I won’t care.”

“As long as Donghae is your son-in-law?” I asked, getting a bit pissed off.

“No, as long as my beautiful daughter is healthy and well,” Dad said with a smile on his face. “But…it’s even better to see the two of you wearing wedding clothes, exchanging vows at the altar…”

“DAD!” I cried.

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________

Again, sorry for typos. i dont have time to proof read what i write.

And well, i was going to make this chapter the last one, but i think i can still squeeze in some more chapter before ending it.

Thanks to all who commented!

~Crina