First Hour in Seoul: New Friends, Weird Fashion and Bickering

The Worst in Goodbyes

The train station was pack with busy people, coming in or going out of busy Seoul. A group of ladies past me by, arguing about a restaurant they just went by on the way to the station. I can’t help but giggle as one of them said, “That waiter was so handsome. Too bad he can pass as my son.”

I’m getting bored in this spot. I am standing beside a vending machine. College girls, as I think they are, looked at me like I was begging them to give me a soda. Some guys about my age would also stop get a soda and then ask for my number. Sheesh! Where’s Donghae?

Come to think of it, I haven’t called him yet. Idiot me, I should have called him before I got out of the train.

I hurriedly took out my phone from my bag.

“Hello,” answered Donghae. “Are you here yet?”

“Yes. Actually, a while ago.”

“Then why didn’t you call me?” he sounded annoyed. I heard a thud; it must me him throwing the phone somewhere.

I patiently waited for him to answer the phone again. I played with my jacket, swinging it with my hands, in different directions. I pouted my mouth in different ways possible just to kill time.

Then his voice came.

“I just changed my clothes. I’ll be there right away. I’ll call as soon as I arrive.”

“I’ll…”

He turned off his phone.

“…wait. Great! Nice talking to you.” I said to my phone, getting furious at Donghae’s action. He always does that whenever he’s in a hurry.

“What should I do now?” I asked myself, looking from left to right, spotting a good place to sit down.

Since I’m here, why not get a soda? I took out some change from my pocket and picked a soda from the machine that stood beside me. I grabbed the can from underneath, turned around and bumped into someone.

“I’m so sorry. I didn’t know there’s a person behind me.” I bowed in embarrassment. I finally stood up straight to see that I bumped into a girl. I think she’s about my age, but definitely not Korean. She’s a bit taller than me, has a brown-blonde curly hair, blue-gray eyes, white complexion, wearing a long pink jacket, a white printed shirt underneath, jeans and boots. She is so gorgeous.

“I’m sorry too.”

I was taken aback from hearing her speak Korean. Not to mention that she sounded really fluent. My eye widened from shock. But she, well, she just stood there and laugh at my expression. I quickly smiled in awkwardness.

“I’m really sorry,” I said again.

“It’s okay. I should be the one asking for apology. I’m hurrying on my way here.” She bowed. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m sorry too.”

She smiled. She’s more gorgeous when she smiles. “Okay, enough sorry from both of us. It’s settle we’re okay right?”

I nodded and smiled. I stood aside for her to get a soda. When she got the can in her hand, she opened it and gulped down a huge amount of soda. Again, I was taken aback. She must be tired. Or just drinks plenty. I smiled at her action.

She spotted my smiling and also returned a smile. “I’m just tired. I and my friends are putting on posters around the station and other nearby stores. It’s stressing.” She drank again, closing her eyes as she downed the rest of the soda.

She let out a burp and instantly laughed at herself. I laughed along with her.

“Excuse me,” she said, still laughing. “I’m Lisa, by the way.”

“I’m Han Soojin,” I said and bowed. She, too, bowed and smiled at me.

“Are you going out of Seoul?” she asked.

“No, I just arrived in Seoul. I’m waiting for a friend to pick me up.”

“Here?” she eyed me. If you think about it, it’s kind of ridiculous to be standing beside a vending machine, in a lonely corner of the station, where bunch of people would just mindlessly walk pass me.

“Umm, yes?” I gave a shy smile.

“Why don’t you wait in that café over there?” She pointed at a nearby café, not too far from where I stand.

Why didn’t I think of that? Seoul is really getting into my system; I can’t think straight.

“Want to come there with me? I’m going there anyway, my friends are there.”

“Okay,” I said without hesitation.

I carried my bags with me. Lisa insisted to help but I budge the bags away from her. She gave me a smile, realizing that she’s a stranger to me. I just can’t hand over my things to a stranger, can I? That will be silly.

We made our way to the café and she saw her friends instantly. She pointed to a group of Korean girls wearing the same shirt. They wore shirts with prints on it, just like what Lisa is wearing. They happily welcomed me to their table and gave me a spare seat. They have rolls of poster in their table, glasses of juice and some cake on individual plates.

“What posters are you putting on anyway?” I asked after a while of chatting with them.

One of the girls threw me an annoyed look. WHAT DID I DO?

“Honestly, you didn’t saw our posters?” she asked.

I saw the girl beside her nudged there elbow, making her aware that she is getting irritated at me.

I cautiously shook my head. “No, I just arrived in Seoul.”

She girl immediately said sorry and blushed in embarrassment.

Lisa took over. “We’ve been putting up posters of Super Juniors comeback to show our support.”

Now that I noticed it, they are wearing shirts that say ‘Super Junior Forever! 3rd Album Comeback!’ It was written in bold blue letters with silver glitters or gems surrounding it.

 “They made me wear this,” Lisa said.

All of the girls glared at her. “Yah, Lisa!”

“What? I didn’t say I didn’t like it OR I didn’t like Super Junior. Please!” she said in defense.

“Oh, so you guys are Elfs? Am I right?”

“Yes,” they replied in quiet unison.

“I just can’t wait for their comeback stage. They’ll be super handsome by then,” one of the girls swooned, followed by another.

“Imagine how Siwon would look like,” said another, making the rest giggle in excitement.

“Or Leeteuk. Or Hankyung. Or Kyuhyun. Or Donghae. Or Sungmin.” They continued to swoon on each member’s name. They look ridiculously funny and cute as they giggled and bat their eyelashes in imagining Super Junior.

“I’m thirsty again. I’ll just get a soda,” Lisa said, standing up and heading for the exit of the café.

“Why don’t she just order her?” I asked the girl beside me.

“She said she doesn’t want to waste her money on a soda with unreasonably high price that’s half the price in a vending machine. That’s why she went to the vending machine outside.”

Now that’s why. I smiled at the girl and looked at Lisa, walking to the spot where I met her.

“Your phone is ringing,” the girl beside me said. I was spacing out, I didn’t notice.

I grabbed my phone from my bag and push the answer button.

“Where are you?”

Donghae evidently is walking in a hurry, huffs of breath escape from his voice.

“You’re here already? That’s fast.”

“Where are you? We’ll go to you.”

“You’re really serious you’re taking a member with you! Yah Dong…”

I stopped in my words. Certainly, two girls are observing my phone conversation. If I say Donghae’s name, they’ll freak out or jump to conclusions.

“They agreed anyway,” he said. “And get this, no one will recognize us.”

“They? Don’t tell me you dragged all of them?” I said, being careful with my words now.

A hand touched my shoulder; I turned around to see Lisa holding the same soda she drank a while ago. She mouthed ‘Your friend?’ and I nodded in reply.

“No, it’s just Eunhyuk and Sungmin. Now tell me where you are, we’re here at the entrance,” he informed.

I quickly stood up and grabbed my bags. “Oh, I know where that is. I’ll just meet you there. Wait a sec…” I placed the phone over to my shoulder to talk to my new friends. I looked at Lisa and said, “I’m sorry I have to go. My welcoming party just arrived.”

“Well it was nice meeting you, Soojin. Welcome to Seoul. I hope we’ll meet again. ” Lisa stood up and gave me a hug. They rest of the girls waved and said their goodbyes. I waved back and walked to the busy station lobby. I put the phone to my ears again and took a last glimpse of Lisa. She’s kind and gorgeous. If any of the boys meets her, they’ll pass out on her beauty. Lisa smiled and waved at me. I returned a smile and continued walking to the entrance of the station.

“Donghae…”

“Where were you?” he said, probably irritated.

“I was taking to some friends,” I answered.

“Friends? One hour in Seoul and you already have friends?” he said, still irritated.

“So? Your fans are so kind and friendly,” I said as I dodge a walking, preoccupied with his phone, tall person.

“You met our fans? There are Elfs in the station?”

“Some of them, yes. They’re putting up posters for you guys, to show their support to the wonder boys that is Super Junior.” I laughed at my own words.

“We should meet them.”

“Too late, I’m already at the entrance.” Sure is, I’m almost at the entrance of the station.

“Party pooper! Alright, we’ll just wait here. If we see you, we’ll wave. Is that clear?” he asked.

“Yes sir!” I answered and turned off my phone.

As I walked out of the station doors, I spotted three guys waving at me. They wore ridiculous clothes that fashion police will absolutely be revolted of. One of them, I could tell its Sungmin, wore a technicolor beanie, huge glasses, large gray shirt, gray baggy pants and soldier boots. The other one, Eunhyuk, combed his hair ridiculously flat, wore black rimmed sunglasses, large blue coat, fitted jeans, white shoes and an annoying smirk. And Donghae. Can I just say he looked like a hobo! He’s wearing a torn up cap, blue rimmed sunglasses, overly printed black shirt, baggy torn up jeans and torn up gray shoes. Everything he wore was torn apart.

I as approach them, I can’t help but laugh at this absurd sight. I was seriously out of breath. I dropped my suitcase. A woman walked by and saw what I was laughing at. She too burst out laughing.

Donghae quickly picked up my suitcase from the ground and carried it. He was wearing a huge smile in his face, which in any case, I don’t understand. I sat in exhaustion, holding my aching stomach, trying to hold back my laughter. But to no avail, I still continued to laugh. Sungmin and Eunhyuk pulled me to stand and they too are smiling at me.

“We knew you’ll be like this when you see us,” Eunhyuk said, smiling really wide.

“We just have fun coming up for a disguise, we end up looking like…this. Tada!” he said, holding out his arm.

“I…can’t…breathe…” he managed to say between burst of laughter.

The three literally dragged me to their car. It was a red car. Eunhyuk, again, was our driver.

Sitting at the back seat, I was still laughing. Sungmin, who was sitting beside be looked at me coyly, trying to hide his face away from my sight and laughing by himself. Donghae took away his glasses and cap and shook his hair. Eunhyuk too did the same, messing his hair to loosen its stiffness. As finally we stopped laughing and awkwardness is gone, at last I savored the buildings, buses, and bustle of Seoul on the window.

“Do we really look ridiculous?” Donghae asked.

“Seriously, didn’t you guys look at the mirror before you go? Fashion police should have arrested you!” I said.

“I suppose. Donghae wanted us to dress up like this so that no one will recognize us.” Eunhyuk carefully drove in the busy street, passing beside a public bus.

“Good thing NO ONE recognized you guys. What would happen if THERE IS? You guys are up to a long explanation to your manager, your company, your leader, your fans…”I said.

“Speaking of fans, you said you were with some Elfs awhile ago, weren’t you?” Donghae asked. “How did you guys met?”

From there, I told them how I met Lisa, the other Elfs, and how they swoon over these guys beside me. When I told them how Lisa looks like, they were like…

“Let’s go back. Let’s check if this Lisa really is good looking,” Sungmin said with a weird smile in his face.

“Yah, hyung, I know what you’re thinking.” Eunhyuk was looking at him on the rear view mirror. He, too, wears the same smile. “I like how you think.”

“Stop it. Soojin-ah, where are you staying?”  Donghae asked, turning around to look at me.

“Oh, at this hotel,” I said, showing him the address in a piece of paper. He showed it to Eunhyuk. Euhyuk nodded and concentrated on his driving.

“Is it far?” I asked. “Just asking.”

“No, it’s just around here,” Sungmin answered. “Actually it’s only a couple of blocks away from our dorm. You can come and visit us.”

“Yeah, right!” I said sarcastically. “And be trampled from loads of fans camping in your hallway. No thanks, I’m good.” I pouted, crossed my arms if front of my chest and looked outside.

Donghae turned around to look at me. “No one camps in front of our dorm. But there will be occasional visits from fans that pass through security.” He looked at Sungmin and asked, “How can they do it? The security is so tight.”

“How should I know? I’m asking the same question myself,” Sungmin answered. Sungmin looked at me and continued to speak. “If you see the walls outside our dorm, it looks like a freedom wall or the back of bus seats or public bathroom.”

“Why don’t you erase it then?” I asked.

Sungmin released a sigh. “It will take forever. And besides, it’s not really hate comments the fans write, but encouragement for the whole group. I have the most comments,” Sungmin bragged, his eyes smiling along with his lips.

“That’s not true!” Eunhyuk and Donghae said together, irritated.  

“I get the most comments,” Eunhyuk boasted.

“In your dreams! Of course I do!” Donghae said, smacking Eunhyuk’s arm.

A while ago, they’re annoyed of the writings on their wall. Now, they fight over it. They are so childish. Sungmin is battling s with his famous aegyo. Eunhyuk, though distracted from the constant shouts of ‘They’re my comments!’ in his ear, he kept his focus on his smooth driving. Donghae would occasionally shout in dialect, making the other two guys laugh.

I can speak dialect if I want to, but I seemed to have adopted Seoul’s form of speaking. Too much TV can make you transform into another person, really!

“Where almost at the hotel,” Eunhyuk informed.

“We’ll see you check in. after that, we’ll go.” Donghae was persistent in the tone of his voice.

“Looking like… a hobo?” I told him, stating the truth. “No way. I’ll go by myself. I’ll be fine. It’s not the first time I stayed in a hotel anyway.”

“And when was it?” Donghae asked, getting curious.

I wanted to tell him when, but I can’t. I can’t find the right words. And this is not the right time either. If I tell you that, I have to tell you the rest. Soon, I will tell you soon.

“Anyway,” I said, avoiding the question, “your fans or the media might see you’re straight fashion sense so, no thanks.”

“But…”

I interrupted Donghae. “No buts! Why are you freaking out anyway? It’s just a hotel.”

“What if they…didn’t give you a proper room?”

“You’re scared that I might not get a proper room. Are you…okay? Seriously.”

He’s arguing like a kid. AND he’s giving unreasonable questions. Though he’s my best friend, he sometimes gets into my nerves. I hate it when he’s like this.

Sungmin and Eunhyuk kept their silence, weighing the tension I’m releasing. Eunhyuk kept his eye on the road while Sungmin was awkwardly sitting beside me, not getting an inch closer. Donghae kept his eye contact to mine. I glared at him but he didn’t budge, fixing his innocent eyes into mine. Finally, I gave up.

FINE! YOU WIN!

In my mildest tone, I said, “I just don’t want you guys to get humiliated, that’s all. So Donghae,” I looked at him, “stop being a kid and let me my own problems okay. If I get a torn off room, which is practically impossible in Seoul’s hotels, I’ll tell you.”

I exchanged smiles with him. The atmosphere inside the car got better. My seatmate and our driver smiled too, though hidden.

The car pulled over in front of the hotel. It was seriously big and looking spacious outside, how more is the inside. I seriously want to hug Dad now for having a reservation at this hotel. He planned everything of this trip. I guess he’s more excited that I am.

“Bye, then!” I said, waving at my welcoming committee.

“I’ll pick you up later.” Donghae turned around and gave me smile.

“Why? For what?” I asked.

“We’re having a field trip tonight.” Donghae, Sungmin and Eunhyuk looked at each other; weird smiles are in their adorable faces.

“Just go. I’ll tell you later.”

I walked out of the car, holding my bag and suitcase. I waved at the car as it drove away from me. What are they planning? They’re dead if they do something wrong.

I walked inside the hotel. Some very polite and accommodating personnel welcomed me inside. At the front desk, all of the girls standing behind it are wearing the same dark blue uniform, blue skirt, neatly tied hair, gold name plates and weirdly adorable smiles.

“I have a reservation,” I told one of them.

“Yes, Ma’am. May I know the name for the reservation?” she asked, still giving her sweet smile.

“Han Soojin. We reserved through phone. I’m from Mokpo.”

“Let me check.” She checked the computer in front of her. Not less than a minute, she found my name.

 “Welcome to our hotel, Ma’am. This is your card key. Your bags will be sent to your room. Enjoy your stay.” She bowed and gave a smile.

I officially pronounce that I will enjoy my stay in Seoul!

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________

Another LONG update. I just have to type it all at one go!

Haha!

~Crina