Nightmares and Lamps

The Worst in Goodbyes

A few days passed but I didn’t receive a single call or message from Donghae. I would really like to see how he’s doing this past days but I didn’t get s single news from him. Until one day.

Out phone rang. My mom and I were in the kitchen preparing lunch. “I’ll get it,” I said, running towards the phone.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Oh, Soojin, good. “ It was Donghae’s mom

“Auntie, you called…”

“Soojin-ah, can you please come over to our house?” she said, a trace og worry was in here voice.

“Why?” I asked.

“Its Donghae…”

 

I immediately went to their house. I told my mom I’m going to Donghae’s and might be there for a while.

As I arrive, I saw Auntie at the door, obviously waiting for me. I went worried at the sight of her worried face.

“Auntie, what’s the problem?”I asked.

“It’s Donghae. He’s…I really don’t know what happened. He’s just staring in space. I don’t know what to do. Donghwa is at work right now, I just can interrupt. I don’t know who to call but I think you will help me with this.”

She lead the way to Donghae’s room. Sure enough, as we opened the door, Donghae was staring in blank space, as if hypnotized.

“He was getting fine this past days but he went…well…like that just this morning.” Auntie looked a lot worried. She didn’t know what to do but stand in the doorway and clasp her hands tight close to her lips.

I went to Donghae with caution, afraid he’d do something wrong or yell at me. I’m really scared when he yells. But he didn’t move or blink. He looked pitiful with is arms wrapped around his knees and sitting in his gray bed.

“Donghae…” I said with a soft voice.

He didn’t move.

“Donghae…” I repeated.

He didn’t move.

As I cautiously sat on his bed, he stayed still. Though I was really scared, I tried to sit comfortably.  I slowly run my hands to his arm. I saw Auntie’s expression getting a lot scared and nervous. I have to do this…though I’m scared.

To my surprise, Donghae finally moved, very slowly.

“Soojin?” he asked, his voice were obviously hoarse.

“Yes,” I said,

“Soojin-ah!” he said, putting his hands on my hand. Tears are flowing out of his eyes. He finally hugged me and cried a lot hard.

Auntie released a huge sigh and was showing a worried smile.

“Soojin-ah, I’m very scared”, he said as if he was a child telling his mom that he saw something scary. He was absolutely shivering now.

I patted him on the back and told him, “You’ll be fine. I’m here now.” Though it was for a split second, I thought I saw jealousy in Auntie’s eyes. It’s normal, actually, for her. It’s the mother who’s supposed to comfort her son, not a friend.

Donghae told me that he dreamt of horrible things that’ll going to happen to him and his family.

“And you believe them?” I said, still controlling my soft voice to be a lot softer. He still hugged me for all those time, continuously patting his back.

“What do you mean?” he asked as if confused.

“Hae… a few years before, you are nobody. Now you’re Super Junior Lee Donghae, great dancer, great singer, and great person. How cool is that? And…YOU CHANGED YOU,” I said, putting a lot of force in my last words.

“Why are you sulking over to something as simple as a nightmare? What’s in front of you is what matters now. Don’t act like a child, act like a man. You’re Donghae, for good sake.”

Auntie went out of the room a few minutes ago. I would have wanted here to finish the whole situation but she was gone. Donghae, after a few minutes, let go of his long hug.

“I guess…you were right,” he said, his face still blank.

“Donghae, I’m always right,” I said jokingly, showing him a smile.

He didn’t show any reaction on his face so I thought he didn’t like what I said. I immediately wipe the smile off my face.

“No…” he started. I was startled. “…smile again. I don’t want you the least bit unhappy.”

I smiled the brightest smile I’ll ever show, thinking this might help.

“Why do you always have to be my lamp?” he asked.

“Lamp? Do you mean light?” I asked, puzzled.

“No. Lamp. Lamp is better,” he said. He, again, hugged me.

“Soojin-ah, always be my lamp. Always. No buts.”

“His lamp? I laughed at the thought.

“Lamp, huh? So, do I have to dress up like one?” I asked jokingly.

He let go and looked at me straight in the eyes. I was surprised he was smiling now.

“Occasionally.”

 

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for supporting (by subscribing) my fanfic.

I'll try to update as fast as I can. I'm still in the process of completing the next chapter, but it's almost done.

Now I know how it feels for an author to have silent readers. I just can feel there are. ;p Commenting is free of charge. Thank you.

~Crina