Reasons, Reasons

The Worst in Goodbyes

Mom and I were preparing dinner in the kitchen, talking while we cook. We’re making kimbap and beef stew.

“…getting stressed out with all these school stuff,” I whined as I cut potatoes in bite size pieces.

She released a huge breath. I looked at her. Concern was on her face. She stopped rolling the kimbap in her plastic glove covered hand and put it down on the counter gently.

“Are you…having troubles? I mean, did you encounter pains? Are you skipping medication?” she asked continuously, concern was in her petite face and calm voice. “Would you like to go to the hospital?”

“Mom, no!” I immediately exclaimed from shock. “It’s just I get headaches from time to time because I had so much to do,” I explained.

“Now that also isn’t very reassuring,” she said, getting frustrated.

“Mom, I’m fine. No pains here,” I said, patting my tummy.

“Are you sure?” she asked, looking from my face to my tummy.

I saw her looking at my stomach with fear and worry mixed on her face.

“Mom,” I said, putting down the knife and walked to her, giving her a hug. “I’m fine. I promise.”

Mom hugged me back, hers much tighter than mine. She my hair and patted my back. I heard her breathing slowly and deeply. I too, her back.

“You two have so much drama.”

Dad came in the kitchen and sat on one of the stools placed in front of the island. He grabbed a kimbap from a platter and ate it. Mom and I broke the hug and look at Dad who now is eating his second slice of kimbap. Both of us smiled, to Dad and to each other.

“Don’t spoil your dinner!” Mom then exclaimed at Dad reached out for another slice. Dad quickly retrieved his hand and showed a pout. Seriously, Dad’s pout on me is like…’WHAT?’ but to Mom it’s… ‘AWW!’

 

Minutes after, we are now eating dinner. Dad ate his food really fast. Mom would constantly hit Dads hand to make him slow down his eating. I, on the other hand, would giggle at them. They looked like an odd couple. Hey, but his odd couple brought me up and loved me. Thanks to them, I am me.

“How’s school? I overheard a while ago you’re getting stressed out,” Dad said.

Mom’s smile was wiped off of her face. I looked calm outside but a bit nervous inside. They’ll go overboard again. Deep down, I hope they won’t.

“Umm…yes. I had headaches…but not serious ones!” I explained.

Mom looked at Dad. “Should we get her a full check-up again? You know…just to make sure nothing is getting worse?”

“Mom! I’m fine, really,” I whined. I almost slammed the chopsticks on my hand but restrained when Dad was looking straight to me.

“Are you sure?” Dad asked, his face turned from concerned to doubting.

“Yes, of course.”

“Do you think you’re getting better?” Dad asked again.

“Okay, if a full check up will clear everything, fine I’ll do it. Please don’t get over protective again,” I pleaded.

“How can we not,” Mom answered me. “You HAVE to be healthy.”

I can feel that anytime soon she’ll cry. She’s holding back tears as she looked from my face to my tummy.

“Mom!” I said, getting her attention away from my stomach. “This,” I rubbed my stomach, “is fine. Okay?”

“I just can’t help but be concerned.” Her reply was short but depressing.

I looked at her and Dad and gave them a huge smile. “See? I’m good.”

“Did you tell Donghae about that?” Dad asked all of a sudden.

“I…can’t tell him. I don’t think I can,” I replied.

“Why not? He should know. After all he’s…”

“Dad,” I cut in, “Donghae just lost his father. I can’t just tell him about this.” I continued to rub my tummy. “He’ll get upset again.”

“Honey, sooner or later, he has to know,” Dad replied.

I had no other replies. I continued to rub my stomach and hope that my parents won’t get over the top again with their over protectiveness. I fine…am I?

“Dad, can I have the full check up in Seoul?” I asked out of nowhere.

“Seoul? It’s too far.”

“But…”

“Have your check up here. Hospitals are the same,” Mom butted in, collecting the plates on the table.

“Please?” I pleaded.

“Why Seoul all of a sudden, Soojin?” Dad asked.

“Hospitals are better…there? Please? Dad?” I pleaded again.

He didn’t answer, but looked at Mom to look for answers. Mom’s face was furious, as if saying ‘Of course not!’ in her gaze.

But Dad, as if a miracle came upon me, said “After exams,” with a slight smile on his worried face.

I jumped from my seat and hugged my Dad super tight. Mom’s mouth hanged wide open from disbelief, but I hugged her even so. “Thank you so much!” I said to both of them.

“But in the mean time, take care of yourself even better, alright?” Dad said.

“How can you let her?” Mom asked Dad in frustration. “She might…”

“Mom, no take backs. No. No.” I said shaking my head and smiled at her really wide.

“Let her be. She’s an adult now after all,” Dad smiled, looking from me to Mom’s shocked face.

“If anything happen to my beautiful daughter because of your foolish decisions, don’t get too frightened when I beat you as I say ‘I told you so!’. I’m sorry if I have to kill you that day”

Yay, Mom! I gave her a tighter hug. Dad’s look got gloomy, afraid that Mom really would beat him to death. But getting Mom to say ‘yes’ really is hard, even as I grow up. It’s hard getting her to approve to my field trips, night outs, concert events and more.

“I love you Mom! You’re the best Mom in the world.” I gave her a kiss on the cheek which made her smile. I, too, gave Dad a kiss on the cheek and his gloomy face turned to normal.

“But if something happens to you there…”

I cut in Mom’s words. “I’ll take care of myself,” I assured Mom. I collected all the dishes on the table and took it to the sink. I smiled secretly.

Dad blurted a loud “AH! I know why you want to go to Seoul.”

“What are you talking about Dad?” I said, acting clueless.

“It’s Super Junior’s comeback, isn’t it?” he said, matter-of-factly, pointing at me.

I tried to hide my smile but showed even so. You got me, Dad!

“That’s it? That’s the reason? Soojin…” Mom started. “It’s not about the hospitals here being crap, isn’t it? It’s Super Junior.” Mom started to smile.

“I’m so sorry I have to lie, but it’s them!”

“What?” Dad said, working his detective voice now.

“I can’t say no,” I said, giddily. “Besides, I have to cheer on Donghae.”

“You can say no? Or you don’t want to say no?” Mom said getting in the interrogation.

“Mom, you try getting aegyo attacks from Sungmin, you know, that guy who came with Donghae on Auntie’s birthday. It’s like getting aegyo attacks from Dad,” I spoke as my cheek blush red hot, remembering Sungmin’s cute bunny face.

I saw Dad pouting. EEEWWW! Mom smiled and gave him a kissy face. EEEWWW! Again.

“Just like that!” pointing at the two of them. “Except that I didn’t give kissy faces.”

 

That night, I called Donghae to tell the news. I stood outside the house with my jacket put on and dialed his number.

“Soojin-ah, how have you been?” he asked in a whisper.

“Why are you whispering?” I also asked.

“Oh, the others are here. If they knew you’re calling they pull the phone from my hand,” he said whispering still.

“Well, anyway. I have news. Guess what, the parents told me I can come to Seoul after the exams. I can come and cheer you guys!” I exclaimed.

“That’s great, Soojin!” he shouted.

Dinner wares are undoubtedly clattering on the background. They must be eating right now.

“Yeah. I have to call again when I arrive there in Seoul.”

“I’ll come and pick you up, then.”

“No, you don’t have to. Besides, you’ll be a lot busier then,” I protested.

After that, there was a loud “YAH!” on the other side.

“Soojin-sshi! How are you? This is Super Junior leader, Leeteuk,” Leeteuk’s voice rang on my ear.

“Hello, Leeteuk-oppa. I’m fine, by the way!” I answered.

“Will you be here on our comeback?” he asked loudly.

“I don’t have an exact date, but yes,” I answered, smiling to myself.

After that, there were a lot of hoots on the other side of the line. Someone clang some glass wares as they do.

“Then we’ll be expecting you then!” he shouted again, his voice rang on my ear.

Donghae’s voice came next. He said “SHUT UP, PLEASE!” before talking to me.

“Send me the exact date and where are you staying, alright?” he asked.

“Yes sir!”

“Take care.”

“You too.”

Loud clang of glass wares and claps were heard on the other side. They were shouting like crazy! Is the speakers on? Donghae….

I turn off the phone and look at it. If only you can squeeze you hand in the phone and straggle the other person. Urgh.

I clutched the phone in my hand as I enter the house, rubbing my tummy.

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for the late update. I've been busy in school too, like Soojin. Also, headaches, like Soojin.

Hope to hear from you guys!

~Crina