Feeling Down, Feeling Up

The Worst in Goodbyes

I stared happily at the garden outside the hotel. Flowers are in bloom, trees are swaying as wind pass by; it was a wonderful day.

I was eating breakfast at the hotels café very cheerfully, because today I will see my angel. I finish the whole plate of bacon, eggs and toast and drank my coffee to the last drop.

I check my clothes again for the seventh time since I wore it. I think…I look stunning. I just hope that Soojin will see how handsome I am.

I walk out of the café and out of the hotel. I was about to hail a cab when I saw a flower shop across the street. I immediately spotted the white roses placed at the top of all the flowers placed in individual pots.

How many should I buy?

I was staring at the flowers when a woman in her forties asked me, “Would you like to buy flowers?” I think she’s suspecting I was going to steal them. She eyed me closely.

“Ummm…one of this…please,” I said, pointing at the white roses.

The woman smiled, might be relieved that I wasn’t going to steal them. “Should I wrap it, young man?”

What did she say? I didn’t get what she said with her strong Australian accent.

“Ummm…sorry?”

“Wrap?” she said, pointing over to a stack of wrapping stuff to decorate bouquets.

“Oh, no. I…buy…like this,” I said, pointing at the flower. Sheesh, English is hard.

“Okay, then,” she said, taking a long-stem white rose from the bunch.

I handed her the money and she gave the rose to me. I smiled at the woman, bowed and thanked her and left. Finally, I hailed a taxi.

 

I paid the cab driver and went out of the car with a smile on my face. A few more steps and I will meet Soojin. Soojin, I can’t wait to see you.

I walked to the reception desk, and a nurse welcomed me with a smile.

“Where…is…ICU?”I asked.

She gave me directions in between little giddy and soft smiles. I swear she purposely stutter at her words just so to have a good look at my face.

“Thanks,” I said, and gave her a big smile.

“You’re welcome…” she swooned.

Am I really that gorgeous?

I took the direction the nurse gave me. I smelled the rose while I was walking. Soojin will like this. At the end of the hallway, I was Uncle standing outside a door, looking over at the glass window.

“Uncle…” I said.

“Oh, Donghae,” he said. His eyes were teary.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“Yes, I’m fine. Why did you ask?”

I pointed my eyes to indicate that his eyes are teary. Is he really okay? Why is he crying?

Then, the door opened and came out Auntie, wearing a hospital gown. She saw me but turned her attention to Uncle when she saw his tears coming down his face.

“Were you crying?” she asked, shocked.

“No,” Uncle lied. He quickly wiped the tears on his cheek.

Auntie turned her attention to me. “Donghae, you’re finally here. Would you like to see Soojin?”

“Yes,” I said without hesitation.

“Okay then. But just so you know, she’s still unconscious. And ah…” she saw the rose on my hand, “those are not allowed inside. I’m afraid that should stay here outside.”

Soojin is unconscious. She will not see me still. And earlier I just thought that she’d see me. I thought she’d smile at me, she’ll laugh along with me, and she’ll hug me back when I hug her. I was wrong.

“Oh…it’s okay. This is for you, then,” I said, smiling, handing the rose to Auntie.

“Oh, thank you, Donghae,” she smiled, pinching my cheeks and taking the rose. “Go in.”

I took a deep breath and opened the door. Inside the room, I didn’t saw Soojin; instead, a girl nurse was waiting by the door. She handed me a hospital gown and mask. After I wore them, the nurse told me to follow her. After a few steps, I finally saw Soojin. I saw my angel.

My heart was crushed when I saw her. Without meaning to, I feel sorry for her. I was sad to see her; eyes closed, needles are pierced to her skin while medicine is forcibly being taken by her body, different apparatus is in attached to her to monitor her vital signs, tubes are attached to to make her breath.

This is not the scene that I made up in my mind. Instead of feeling happy and relieved, I feel sad and worried.

I sat on the chair next to her bed. I examine her face and her body. I feel so uncomfortable seeing her like this. I looked at her hand; a needle was pierced to her skin. I view was unpleasant for me.

Is my Soojin still hurting?

Then, tears started to form. Without a word, I stared at her, seeing her chest moving, breathing in air that was either around her or given by the ventilator in . Even the sound of the heart monitor annoys me.

But then I thought, the most important thing is she alive and breathing. And in time soon, she’ll be out of her, good as new. That time, I will wait.

I look at the nurse that was checking her vitals.

“Can I touch her?” I asked.

“Yes, but just be extra careful that the dextrose hose or the heart monitor is not touched,” she said.

I moved my hand close to her hand, but there was too many wires attached to her arm and the dextrose hose was around her hand; I was afraid I’d cause trouble. I decide to touch her knees instead.

“Soojin,” I said, “please be well. I want to talk to you, I want to see your smile, I want to hug you.” The nurse was eyeing me. Thank goodness she doesn’t understand Korean.

“My members said they want to see you happy and healthy. They said you need to be on our next comeback. Soojin, I need you there. Performing on stage with you in the crowd makes my performance ecstatic. You’re my adrenalin.”

My tears fell. “Soojin, I hope to see you in Korea soon. I love you, Han Soojin.”

I bowed my head and cried silently. I thought I was going to talk to her, but her I am talking to myself. I lifted my head a bit to stare at her fingers. They are still beautiful. I touched them gently but didn’t continue on. Again, I bowed my head.

Then, a hand touched my hand; a hand that was soft as fallen snow. Slowly I lifted my head. Soojin’s hand was holding mine. I look over at Soojin’s face and her eyes are opening.

“Soojin…”

Her eyes opened even wider, but was still sullen and tired.

“Soojin…” I cried. All I can say was her name. “Soojin…” I said, staring at her face. I wanted to hold her hand tight, to hug her, to kiss her; but that, I couldn’t do.

“Nurse…” I said, “she…awake…”

The nurse looked over at Soojin and also noticed that she was awake. She then picked up the intercom lying in her station, speaking to someone.

“You’re going to be fine, right?” I asked Soojin, staring at her face.

Then, by some miracle, I saw and eyes smiled.

 

“Uncle, Auntie I have to go back to Korea. I promised I’ll only stay for four days.”

It was time to back to Korea. Leeteuk-hyung, our manager and the company might kill me if I’m a day late. The three of were standing outside the ICU.

“Thank you for coming, Donghae. You are Soojin’s angel,” Auntie told me.

I couldn’t help but smile at her compliment. “Thank you…”

Auntie came close to me and gave me a hug. After that, Uncle hugged me too.

“Donghae, don’t worry. We’ll make sure Soojin will be fine. As long as she’s better, we’ll take her back to Korea.”

“It’s a promise then,” I said, smiling from ear to ear.

“Yes, of course. By then, you should court my daughter and make her your girlfriend,” Uncle said.

“But she…is…my girlfriend,” I said, dumbfounded from what I heard.

“Already?” the two of them said together.

I nodded.

“That’s…good news then,” Uncle smiled his biggest smile.

“Should I call you son-in-law?” Auntie joked.

My faced turned hot and I hid my face in my hands. “Auntie…”

“Donghae,” Uncle said, now hand and hand with Auntie, “please take our words seriously. We really want you as our son…”

“Don’t say that,” I said shyly.

“It’s true,” Auntie agreed.

“Wow, there is more pressure here than on stage.”

That…was so unexpected.

 

I came home to a crazy and noisy dorm. Every single member were rallying in front of the TV again to watch a soccer game. Again, Shindong-hyung and Kangin-hyung were the loudest.

“Is that soccer?” I yelled.

“Donghae!” my members yelled altogether.

Eunhyuk was the first to give me a welcome hug. “Welcome home, Fish. How’s Soojin?”

“She’s getting better,” I answered.

“When will she come back?” asked Sungmin.

“I don’t know yet,” I answered.

After I answered that question, all eyes were on the TV again. That’s it? What a welcoming committee! They treat me like air. Am I not important?

I got in front of the TV. Of course every single one of them yelled at me to “Get lost!” but I didn’t move.

“I’ll treat you all to dinner!” I shouted.

Everyone got on their feet and danced somewhat a tribal dance. Food…is the only way I can have a serious welcome from this guys.

 

 

_______________________________________________________

This is the result of being super tired. Hahaha.But i still hope you'll like it.

Soojin's Dad and Mom are rooting for Hae...Oh, Fishy is so lucky.

Soojin, get well soon.

~Crina