Too Late

The Worst in Goodbyes

I was sitting on the corner of the practice room with Eunhyuk, Ryeowook and Kyuhyun, talking about our schedule for tonight. Our tonight’s schedule is Kiss the Radio. Again, Eunhyuk was bragging on and on and on how great dj-ing is. I continuously would smirk at everything he brags.

As we continue on hearing Eunhyuk’s bragging galore, I heard someone mentioned my name.

 “Where’s Donghae?” I heard our manager ask a trainee by the door. The trainee pointed to my direction and our manager quickly walked to my spot.

“I have good news,” he said, all smiles.

“What?” the four of us asked.

“This is for Donghae only,” he said, looking from Eunhyuk to Kyuhyun to Ryeowook. Then he turned his attention to me. “Donghae, the management finally agreed for your request of going to Australia.

“FINALLY!” I exclaimed.

The management has been denying my request for the last four weeks. They said I can’t go because of our Asia Concert Tour. For a month, I’ve been requesting for permission but the management continuously declined. They seemed to close their ears and mind to the fact that my best friend will go into an operation that might take her life away. They seemed to not accept the idea that the person that I care most about is dying. They are totally inconsiderate.

“Hyung, you’ll finally see Soojin-noona,” Ryeowook said, smiling.

“Yes, finally.”

“Now what?” Eunhyuk asked.

“Now…he should pack his things,” Kyuhyun said, matter-of-factly. He smirked and let out something that sounded like “Pabo…”

Eunhyuk smacked Kyuhyun’s arm. Kyuhyun returned the smack. Then, the two ‘kids’ were smacking each other’s arms in turns. Ryeowook was probably amused; seeing from the smile on his face. But I was too absorbed on how I should quickly pack my things.

“Donghae,” out manager started. He sat down next to me and said, “They’re only giving you four days.”

“Four days?” I said, surprised. “That’s too short.”

“I know. But that’s the only time they’re giving you. They said you have to be on the next concert stop. And, your flight’s tomorrow,” our manager explained. “I suggest you better take it before they change their mind. Have as much quality time with Soojin…if ever…”

“Thanks…hyung…” I interrupted his words. I don’t want to hear what he’s going to say.

I’ll take his advice. Four days is enough than nothing.

I stood up from my spot.

“Where are you going?” Eunhyuk asked, looking up to me. Ryeowook, Kyuhyun and our manager did the same.

“I’ll look for Sungmin,” I answered.

“Oh, he’s recording downstairs,” Ryeowook said.

I walk towards the door, walking away from Kyuhyun’s question to Ryeowook: “How come you always know where Sungmin is?”

 

I cautiously opened the door to the recording room, afraid that I might interrupt some important recording. But all that was inside the room was Sungmin and his guitar, and a bunch of technical staff.

Sungmin saw me come in. “Donghae…” he said, “what’s up?”

“Can I talk to you?” I asked.

“Sure…”

“In private.”

Sungmin followed me outside the recording room. The corridor, thankfully, was deserted.

“What is it?” Sungmin asked again.

“Umm…the management accepted my request...about Australia,” I told him.

“Wow! That’s great!” he said, delighted. “So, what’s the problem?”

“Where exactly in Australia?” I asked, a bit ashamed.

I always insist to the management that I wanted to go to Australia to see Soojin. The funny thing is I don’t know exactly where in Australia. I’m a complete ‘pabo’ myself.

“Oh…well, I have to call Dr. Park first. I don’t know either,” he confessed.

“Thanks a bunch,” I said.

“Thank me when I got it, okay? I’ll call him right away. I’ll give the address to you later,” he told me. “When are you going then?”

“Tomorrow. I’m going home to pack,” I said.

 

I finally came to the dorm. Siwon, Heechul-hyung and Kangin-hyung were surprisingly at home at this time.

“No scheds?” I greeted them.

“No, we have!” Heechul-hyung sarcastically said. “We’re extremely busy,” he said, then munch on the potato ship that was on his hand.

The three of them were watching a movie. They were too absorbed on the car chase they were watching. I passed by and went directly to my room. I took the suite case that was lying under my bed. I pulled it out, laid it on my bed, and opened it.

“What are you doing?”

Siwon was standing at the doorway, looking at me, confused.

“I’m packing, can’t you tell?” I said.

“You’re not allowed to go. The management…”

“…told our manager just now, that they allowed me to go. Happy?”

“Well…okay.” He sat on my bed as I took some shirt from my dresser. He was looking at my every move without a word.

“What?” I asked, getting annoyed.

“Nothing,” he said.

“Then get lost. Out…” I said, pointing at the door.

This is so funny; telling THE Choi Siwon to get lost.

“Wait a sec…sit here,” he said, patting the bed.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest. “I’m not that easy…”

“Are you crazy!” he shouted.

I laughed. I followed his instructions and sat without a word. He was eyeing me intently, closely watching my movements, thinking I’d fool around again.

But then he said seriously, “Donghae, will you be okay when you see Soojin?” he asked.

The question hit me. “I don’t know,” I answered. “I’m not sure what to do, honestly.”

He sighed. He put his arm to my shoulder and said, “Donghae, if you’re uncertainly, like I always said, don’t forget to ask Him. If you’re in doubt, ask Him; He’ll know what to do.”

I listened carefully to his words. “I will. Thanks, Siwon,” I said.

“Take care of Soojin. Girls like her are heaven sent…”

“I know.”

He smiled. He walked towards the door but stopped his pace halfway. He turned around and said, “Don’t forget to pack the bible that I gave you.”

“I won’t…”

 

“All set?” Leeteuk-hyung asked, almost shouting.

Leeteuk-hyung, Eunhyuk and Sungmin took me to the airport. Some fans were gathering around us. I’m a bit sorry for the airport security; the calmness of the airport a while ago was now changed of the riot and madness of the crowd gathering around us. “OPPA!” was the only thing that was righing in my ear.

“Yes,” I shouted back. I hugged Leeteuk-hyung.

“Take care, dude!” Eunhyuk said, followed by a hug.

“Tell Soojin to get well,” Sungmin said.

“I will,” I told Sungmin, then hugged him.

 

Arriving at Melbourne, I was uncertainly of what to do. Standing outside the airport, I hailed for a taxi.

“To Royal Melbourne Hospital, please,” I told the taxi driver in my poor English.

“Yes, sir,” the driver said and made his way.

As I sat at the backseat of the taxi, I was praying and hoping that Soojin is alright, that she’s waiting for me, that she’ll happily greet me. I want to see her so bad; to see her smile, her face, her eyes, her everything. I miss her so much that thinking about her made me teary.

After a few minutes of driving, the driver told me that we’ve arrived. I paid him and took my suite case. I look up to the hospitals façade and breathed deeply. When I entered this building’s doors, I thought, I should accept what will be in front of me, I will accept what I will hear, I will accept…even if it’s hard.

I pushed the hospital door and made my way to the hospital’s reception desk.

The nurse looked up to me and asked, “How may I help you sir?”

Though my English is poor, thank goodness I understand what she said really fast. “I’m…looking…for…Han Soojin,” I said, in broken English. “She…here…patient.”

“Han Soojin? Let me check,” she said. She was looking at a monitor in front of her and clicking the mouse very keenly.

“Donghae…is that you?” a man behind me said. It was great to hear Korean language at that time.

I turned around to see Soojin’s father. His eyes were swollen and teary. He came closer and hugged me immediately.

“Uncle, are you alright?” I asked. “What wrong?”

“Today is Soojin’s operation.”

Oh God…I was too late.

 

 

____________________________________________________________________

The story's transition . Hahaha! i dont know how to fix it, so it ended up like above.

I was hesitant to call this chapter TOO LATE because i thought you guys would jump to conclusion that Soojin is DEAD. Guys, though Siwon said Soojin is heaven sent, I'm not ready to send her back to heaven just yet. Or maybe i  wont. Let's make Donghae happy.

Too lazy to proof read, so sorry for typos.

Thanks for reading.

~Crina

PS. Don't know what hospital to type so I just googled Royal Melbourne Hospital. HAHAHA.