Faith Gives Miracles

The Worst in Goodbyes

We all sat silently together in a couch in the waiting room. Uncle and Auntie’s breathing seems to be restricted because of too much concern. Who wouldn’t? Their daughter might not wake up after this operation she’s in.

I think my breathing is restricted too. I can’t think straight, I can’t breathe easily; my heart is pumping faster than it should be, my eyes are blurry, my hands are sweating, and my feet are cold.

I stared at the glass door that leads to the operating room. As I stare, all I can think of is “Dear God, please help Soojin.”

At the corner of my eye, I noticed that some Australian girls, about 5 of them, were staring at me and giggling. What? Do I have something on my face? Am I not wearing anything? What is so funny? Then, I started to start at them too; I stared at them a little gloomy, since it wasn’t the right time to be happy. When they noticed that I was staring at them, they bowed down. I was confused, but I bowed back. Do Australian people bow down to greet too?

“Even in Australia, you have fans…”

Uncle must have noticed that I was looking at the giggling girls. I look at him and showed a slight smile.

“Go and talk to them,” he said.

“Ummm…I’m not really in the mood,” I told him. Then, I returned my attention to the glass doors of the operating room.

“Donghae,” Auntie said, looking at me heartbreakingly, “thank you again for coming. Soojin will be happy if she knew you came.” Her eyes are b with tears.

I didn’t know what to say. I smiled but quickly look away, afraid that she’d see the tears I was trying to hold back.

A few minutes later, the glass doors opened. Three men in green scrubs, green operating gowns and wearing face mask were walking out of the doors. Their pace was fast and their direction was leading to us. In unison, Uncle, Auntie and I stood up. My pounding heart pounded harder and all the pores in my body seemed to open up; I was sweating really hard.

The doctor, who I thought was Korean, spoke. “Mr. Han,” he said in a deep low voice, speaking Korean, “she’s loosing blood. We need a blood donor right away.”

Uncle faced me. “Take care of Auntie for a while, okay?”

I nodded. “Take care, Uncle.”

Then, he faced Auntie. He held her face in his hands and kissed his wife’s forehead. “Wait for me. I’m just going to save our daughter.”

Then, he went along with the doctors. He left with a awkward smile on his face. One of the doctors gave him a green operating gown.

Auntie cried harder. She hid her face in her trembling hands. Because of this, my eyes gave in; my tears fell instantly. I hugged Auntie and she hugged me back, crying on my shoulder.

“Donghae, what should I do? What should we do?” she cried.

“All we can do now…is pray…and wait.”

I hope everything will be okay. I pray do the heavens that both Uncle and Soojin will be okay. Please let them be okay.

 

Because of hours of waiting, I didn’t notice that I slept on Auntie’s shoulder. I was awakened by her soft voice.

“Donghae…”

I opened my eyes and straightened myself.

“What is it, Auntie?”

“Why don’t you go to our hotel room first,” she said, handing over a hotel key card. “You just arrive…you need sleep.”

“Ummm…no, I’ll wait here,” I said, pretending that I was fully awake that time.

But Auntie forced that key card to my hand. “Go,” she ordered, “you need to rest, too. I’ll call you if something develops.”

I took the key card and stared at it for a good twenty second before handing it back. “I’ll be fine. I’m sleep-drained, but you’re strength-drained. I’m fine with waiting.”

She smiled. “But you were sound asleep a while ago. Come on,” she said, handing the key card again.

I moved my hands away from hers. “I’ll wait eyes open. I’ll wait for Soojin to come out…”

“…to come out…what?” she asked.

“…to come out…to come out…”

I was blank. What if she’s come out…Dear God, please let her live.

Auntie smiled at me. “Let’s pray for the best.” She patted my arm.

Then my mind went to overdrive; a very bad overdrive. I thought of the future without Soojin: performing on stage without Soojin’s happy face on the crowd, singing my heart out without her listening, dancing with all my might without her watching, standing at the end of the aisle, dress in my best tuxedo without her as my bride. Who am I going to love? Who am I going to care for? Who am I going to marry? Who will be my forever? I imagine my future with Soojin already; I don’t want to change it, not now, not ever.

 

The operating room doors opened again. The same three doctors, who took Uncle with them, came out again.

When they approached us, they took off their masks. I was surprised that hidden under the mask were smiles.

“Mrs. Han, we have good news.”

Auntie and I stood up, eager to hear what the good news is. Please let it be the good news that I wanted to hear.

“Soojin’s vital signs are stabilizing. She fought a good fight. She’s a miracle,” the Korean doctor said.

Auntie was speechless, but was crying in happiness. Her hands clasp together in front of , quivering in joy.

My eyes were wide open, still taking in the great news. “She… she’ll live? She’s okay?” I asked, awestruck.

“Yes, that’s what I meant,” the doctor said, smiling. “Congratulations.”

I threw myself at the Korean doctor and gave him the tightest hug I could ever give. I was so happy that I wanted to shout out in glee. I couldn’t contain my happiness. I let go of the hug and jumped a few times in the air, too happy for the fortune that came.

The doctor was rubbing his arm. When I noticed that, I said “I’m sorry,” but was grinning from ear to ear.

“It’s alright,” he said. Then he faced Auntie. “You’re husband is resting a bit. He gave a lot of load, but he’ll be fine after a few minutes of rest. I suggest that he should eat a full meal after he rest. Then for a week, eat iron-rich foods like meats, dark green leafy vegetables, dried fruits, dried beans, organ meats, and whole grains.”

“And about Soojin; you may only see her tomorrow after we stabilize her vitals. We’ll transfer her to the intensive care unit after this. Mrs. Han, congratulations.”

“Thank you very much, Dr. Park,” Auntie said in awe. Her eyes are b in tears. “Thank you very much. May God bless all of you,” she said, looking from one doctor to the other.

“You’re welcome,” Dr. Park replied. “Thank you for believing in us too.”

 

The night has fallen in city. I was sitting in a bench outside the hospital, a lamp post lighting my spot, with my luggage beside me and huge smile on my face. I was smiling to myself. I my look like an idiot, but I didn’t care; I’m still the happiest man on earth. Then, I shut my eyes, clasped my hands together, and bowed my head.

I prayed.

“Dear God, thank you for taking care of my angel. Thank you for keeping her with me. Thank you for giving her life. Oh…I have many things to thank you…but I’m so happy that I forget almost all of them. What’s important for me right now is that you took care of my Soojin. Not only I was happy, but Uncle and Auntie are happy as well. I’m sure my members will be happy when I tell them. Oh, thank you for hearing my member’s prayers to you. I know Heechul-hyung’s prayer might have been weird because he doesn’t believe in you…anyway, thank you so much. I promise I will take good care of my angel. You gave us a second chance…we will not waste it…”

“Oh my God…It really is Lee Donghae!”

When I heard my name out loud, I immediately opened my eyes. A few feet before me stood the same five girls that were staring at me hours ago, only now, there were seven of them. One of them was a Korean-looking girl.

“Hello…” the Korean girl said in Korean.

“Hello,” I said back, smiling.

“Oh my God…”they squealed in unison.

“Pinch me. Oh dear, please tell me I’m not dreaming,” a girl with blonde hair said.

The girl beside her apparently pinched her arm. “Ouch…I’m not dreaming…” she squealed.

The Korean girl approached me with a pen and paper in her hand. “Can you sign this, please?” she asked.

I smiled. I stood up and walked to them a little closer. I took the pen and paper “What’s your name?” I asked.

“Soojin…” she said shyly.

 I smiled and signed it. “Here you go,” I said handing the pen and paper back to the Korean girl. The girl squealed.

“Oh my God…” she said, as she stared at the paper.

“You know what…since your name is Soojin, I’ll throw in a hug,” I said, holding out my hands to offer a hug. And she took it, hugging me tight. Then, I hug each of her friends.

I look at Soojin. “You know, my angel’s name is Soojin.” Soojin smiled giddily.

“How did you know?” she asked shyly.

“I just know…”

“Why are you here in Australia?” the blonde girl asked.

Soojin translated it to me and I answered. “I came to support my best friend’s operation. The doctors said she might die but miraculously, she survived the operation.”

“Wow…” they said altogether.

“She’s a very strong girl,” Soojin said.

“I know she is.”

“What’s her name?” one of them asked.

“Her name is the same as this girl right here…” I said as I looked at Soojin.

Soojin’s face blushed like a ripe red tomato. “Really?” she asked.

“Don’t you believe oppa?” I smiled.

 

“Hello?”

“Leeteuk-hyung?” I asked.

“No, is Eunhyukkie. Who’s this?” Eunhyuk asked.

“Donghae here…where’s Teukkie-hyung?”

“Eating, why?” he asked again. I swear, this monkey is so annoying.

I was comfortably lying on the bed of the hotel room, looking at the ceiling and holding my phone to my ear.

“Hand it to him…” I ordered.

“No…”

“Yah! You’re wasting my time!” I yelled.

“Sheesh…hot blooded…” I heard him said.

Then I heard Leeteuk-hyung’s voice. “Ummm…what?”

“Soojin had her operation today…” I started.

I heard a clank of a metal to ceramic; his spoon must have dropped to his plate. “And?” he said in high pitch.

“She’s…”

Oh…should I act out a bit?

“She’s…in a critical situation. The doctor’s said their doing their best to revive her status but…I’m just praying…”

“Donghae-ah, don’t lose hope. Have faith…” he told me, getting worried.

Haha, loser. Leeteuk-hyung is sympathetic.

Then, I laughed. “What’s going on?” he asked.

“Soojin’s fine. The doctors said her vitals are great. She’s recuperating well. She’s alive!” I cheered.

“Donghae, you PABO!” Teukki-hyung yelled over the phone. “But that is…a great news! I can’t wait to see her!”

“Too bad for you; I’m going to see her tomorrow,” I bragged.

“Well, tell my regards then.”

“I will. And hyung…thanks…for everything.”

“Don’t mention it, kid."

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________

YEY! Here's your request guys...Soojin lives!

Strong faith + Miracles = Happy Donghae.

Gosh, medical terms are so hard.

And, the Soojin girl was so random...Hahaha!

But the important thing is... Donghae is Happy. Let's just wait when the love birds meet again. Thanks for reading guys.

~Crina