A War Like No Other

The Beautiful Mistake

Marisa’s POV

The four of us spent some quality time at the restaurant just talking and eating. Sungyeol sat across from me with Jinyoung next to me and Myungsoo across from Jinyoung and next to Sungyeol. We purposely did that seating arrangement because everyone still thinks that Jinyoung and I are still together. We don’t want to give them a bad impression about me going out with Sungyeol. He’s alright with it, though, that the public still things that Jinyoung and I are going out. As long as it protects all of us, it’s okay, or so he says.

No one questions my relationship with Sungyeol. It’s like there’s some hidden agreement that we’re all not going to ask any questions about it. It’s sort of like whatever will happen is going to happen and that’s the end of it, nothing more, nothing less.

“How was your schedule today?” I ask Sungyeol and Myungsoo.

“It was alright,” Myungsoo says nodding his head and looking at his cup for who knows what reason.

“It was kind of boring, I’ll admit,” Sungyeol says. “Especially because you weren’t there next to me.”

I can only laugh at the statement; I don’t really know what else to say. Some of the people in the restaurant have looked over at us a couple of times, probably thinking about how they’ve seen the boys before. It’s not like they’re intentionally attempting to hide themselves, I would say that they aren’t trying to hide themselves at all. All three are wearing casual clothes, they all have on brand named t-shirts with a pair of skinny jeans, although Myungsoo has a black pair on, and a pair of some sport sneakers. They don’t have sunglasses or hats on.

“How was your day?” Sungyeol asks looking at Jinyoung and I.

We both nod our heads. “It was alright,” I say.

“Yeah, it was good,” Jinyoung says. “You didn’t miss much in class after you left. It got particularly boring then.”

“Did it really?” Sungyeol asks. “Then I’m kind of glad that I wasn’t there.”

We continue to laugh and keep up the conversation when I suddenly see Myungsoo go off somewhere. He just gets up off of the table really quickly with a cold stare in his eyes. “What up with him?” I ask as all three of us watch him leave the table. “Was it something that we said?”

“I’m pretty sure it wasn’t,” Sungyeol says watching him. “He looked pretty content. Did any of you hear anything strange?”

Jinyoung and I shake our heads. “No, I didn’t see anything or hear anything. Isn’t that him over there?” Jinyoung points lightly to another part of the restaurant. Sungyeol and I see Myungsoo standing there, even though his back is facing us, he’s wearing the exact same clothes, so it has to be him.

“What is he doing over there?” I ask.

“I don’t know,” Sungyeol says getting up, “give me a minute.” Sungyeol then disappears for a while.

“What’s going on with Myungsoo?” I ask Jinyoung.

“I’m not sure,” Jinyoung says scratching his head. “It looked like he was thinking really hard about something.”

“Hey, hey!” Sungyeol says excitedly as he comes and sits back down at the table. We both just stare at him to continue, he gets the hint. “There’s a girl over there.”

“How do you know?” Jinyoung asks.

“I went over there, not really, I used my stealth mode and like spied on him for a little bit. There’s a girl wearing sunglasses over there. Myungsoo’s like talking to her. I couldn’t hear what they were talking about, but do you think that Myungsoo likes her?” Sungyeol asks. He talks so fast that it takes me a while to digest everything that he just said.

“Does Myungsoo like anyone?” I ask Sungyeol.

“Not that I know of,” Sungyeol says.

“Not that I know of, either. I don’t think that never did like anyone,” Jinyoung says.

“Then is this a first?” I ask. They both nod their heads in agreement after much hesitation. “Then maybe we should just not say anything and if he feels the need to say something, we should wait until he comes to us, right?”

“Sure,” Sungyeol says. “We don’t want to ruin his chances with a girl.”

 

Myungsoo’s POV

During dinner I started getting a weird feeling. I started feeling as though we were being watched, that feeling that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, the feeling that someone is spying on us looking for information. When it finally happened again, I turned back immediately and spot the culprit, who I might add looked away immediately as soon as I turned. People can’t really handle my icy stare.

“What are you doing?” I ask going up to the stranger. There’s more than one person sitting at the table. They don’t respond, typical. I would advise them answering my questions before they might get seriously hurt.

“How much do you know about your friend over there?” they ask me, the male does. There’s one male and one female. They both have sunglasses on so I can’t see their eyes. I have absolutely no idea who they are.

“What are you talking about?” I ask trying not to lose my temper. “Why were you watching us?”

“Did you know that your friend over there is in a fake relationship?” he asks.

“What fake relationship are you talking about?” I can’t help but say.

“Did you know that your friends over there are deceiving you?”

He keeps asking me all of these questions that it’s starting to get very annoying. I don’t know who they are and I don’t know what they’re doing, but I spy a camera on the guy’s lap as I lean over getting close to their faces. In one quick motion, I grab the camera from his lap by the strap before he can even think for another second. Being a dancer isn’t so bad sometimes.

I quickly take the camera and go through it seeing pictures upon pictures of us at school and walking into the apartment and just doing our normal schedule. The pictures all revolve around Jinyoung, Sungyeol, and Marisa.

“You took all of this pictures?” I ask holding up the camera for him to see. Since I stole it, he hasn’t made any effort to get it back. It’s like he wants me to see the pictures, it’s like he wants me to see it, but why? I don’t like Marisa, she’s a friend. People could say that I slightly pity her because she has no one else to rely on, but I don’t see her as a romantic interest if that’s what this guy is thinking about.

“The pictures were taken with the best interest in mind,” the guy responds.

“Why doesn’t your girlfriend over here say something?” I ask motioning to her with my head. They both say nothing. “Well, I’ll take this,” I say as I begin to walk away with the camera. They make no effort to get it back.

“We already have copies of the photos, so you can take those and print and delete as many times as you wish,” the guy says. I already knew it that they probably did. They probably wanted to get caught, but who are they? Why do I have a sickly feeling that I have met them before?

Plus, they didn’t have to tell me that Jinyoung and Marisa were in a fake relationship. I already know. I don’t need evidence to figure it out, I only told Sungyeol that because I thought that he should know before going after Marisa. I didn’t want him to get hurt because of some girl and his best friend. I know that Jinyoung and Marisa weren’t going out for real because I heard them say it to each other.

 

THREE MONTHS AGO

Why do I have to be the one to find Jinyoung? Why can’t the other ones find him if they want to play or go out with him or do something? I’m not even in his class, why did they make me come to the classroom. Sungyeol or Dongwoo should’ve come instead. They’re the ones that want him to play.

I look up as I walk up the steps, taking two at a time, and see Marisa entering Jinyoung’s classroom. Why is she going into the classroom? Is she cheating on Jinyoung? That could never happen, they look like they like each other a lot. Why?

I can’t stop my curiosity and make my way towards the window to listen better to what she’s doing.

“What do you want?” I hear Marisa ask.

“Take a seat,” I hear a voice say, it’s Jinyoung’s voice. Thankfully she’s not cheating on him. I don’t know what I would do if she was meeting another guy here.

“What do you want?” she asks again as I hear a chair move. I move closer to the open door to try to hear what they’re saying a bit better.

“Listen,” I hear Jinyoung begin, “we’re in a fake relationship, right?”

Wait, did I just hear those words correctly? Jinyoung and Marisa are in a fake relationship? Why? They’re lying to us about the whole thing, why? There are so many questions running through my head, but I shove them all back to understand what Jinyoung is saying to her.

“I’m going to let this relationship go for a while. As soon as the agency breaks it off, I’m going to do it,” Jinyoung continues. So this is a relationship set up by their agency? Why would their agency want to put them into a fake relationship? I know for sure that Jinyoung wouldn’t have agreed to it if something wasn’t going to happen as a consequence.

I hear him move towards the doorway and quickly run into one of the classrooms behind me, but gently peak my head out the door to continue listening to them. “So don’t fall for me,” I finally hear Jinyoung say as he leaves.

Jinyoung and Marisa are in a fake relationship. I can’t tell anyone. I can’t. They can’t know that I know either; it would probably destroy both of their lives. What should I do? Should I tell or keep silent? For right now, I just have to ask Jinyoung if he wants to hang out with us.

I run after Jinyoung and make it look like I was trying to find him.

 

Marisa’s POV

We finally all depart our own separate ways after dinner. Jinyoung goes with me since we live in the same building and Myungsoo and Seungyeol take off in their direction. Eventually, we go separate ways.

“Myungsoo-oppa acted weird when he got back to the table, right?” I ask looking at Jinyoung. We’re just walking silently back to the apartment. People passing by us are whispering some things, but for they most part, they know that, or rather think that we’re dating so it’s okay in their mind. Except maybe they remember something about Seohyun being with him in the news, so I’m not entirely sure what’s going through their minds. Maybe a couple of them think that we made up.

Jinyoung nods his head as he looks at me. “Yeah, something did seem off about him. Do you think something happened between him and that girl?”

“It was hard to see from where we were sitting,” I say, “and if we were to get up and look, he would suspect something.”

“That is true.”

We walk silently next to one another, not really saying anything. It somehow feels comfortable now being with Jinyoung alone. Before I used to get all tense about it because we were in a fake relationship, but now I’m content and happy now that we’ve “broken up” and we aren’t deceiving anyone anymore.

“Goodnight,” I say as Jinyoung walked me to the door of my house.

“Goodnight,” Jinyoung says before he takes off to go back to his own room.

Sitting down in my room, I begin to work on some of the homework that I have to complete when I hear my phone go off. I’m getting a phone call instead of a text. I look at the caller ID and see that it’s Sungyeol.

“Hey,” I say answering it.

“I know that you just got home, and Jinyoung, too, but our manager is on the way to your apartment. Do you think you guys could come over? I would also advise bringing some extra clothes along.”

“Why?” I ask.

“There’s something that Myungsoo and I need to tell the both of you. Is it possible to come over?”

“Give me a minute,” I say getting out of my room and going to find my parents. “Mom, Dad,” I say finding them in the living room.

“Hey Marisa,” they say looking at me.

“Would I be able to stay over with Infinite at their dorm?” I ask.

“I don’t know,” Mom says looking at Dad and he shrugs his shoulders.

“Sungyeol-oppa,” I say into the phone, “you can tell my parents about whatever it is that you want to tell me. You can explain it to them.”

“Sure,” Sungyeol says.

I hand the phone over to my father since he would probably understand about it more. Whatever Sungyeol said to him, his face goes cold and hard. I have never seen my father give off that kind of face before.

“I think it’s best if you go,” Dad says looking at me. I look at him slightly puzzled. “If you need anything else from the dorm, feel free to contact us.”

“Oh, um, okay,” I say. “Sungyeol.” I hold the phone up to my ear. “I’m going to call Jinyoung and we’ll be right over as soon as possible.”

 

Jinyoung’s POV

I finally relax in my bed after dinner. Everyone comes in to ask me how it went. “So, did you guys talk about anything good?” Baro asks.

“Just the same stuff, you know, just friends talking with one another,” I explain to them.

Just then, my phone rings. I take it out and see that it’s from Marisa. Sandeul sees it on my phone. “Yah, she’s already calling to get back with you,” he says pointing at it.

I wonder what she could possibly want and answer it. “Marisa?”

“Jinyoung, where are you?” she asks.

“At the dorm, why?” I ask. “Is something wrong?” I look at all of the members and they seem kind of worried.

“Open the door,” she says.

“Gongchan, go open the door,” I say. He does as he’s told without any questions.

Within a second, Marisa comes storming into the room where we are.

“Marisa, long time no see,” Sandeul says.

“Hey,” she says looking at everyone. “Jinyoung, Sungyeol is telling us to come over to the Infinite dorm.”

“Why?” I can’t help but ask. “What’s with the backpack?” I ask just noticing it for the first time.

“He said that he and Myungsoo had something to tell the two of us and that we should bring some extra clothes. I’m not entirely sure what he’s talking about, but he talked with my father over the phone and my father’s agreeing to let me stay over there. Do you think it’s something serious?” I sense worry in her voice.

I sit up on the bed and take my face in my hands. “Okay, I’ll be out in a minute. Why don’t you catch up with some of the other members?” I suggest. She does as she is told and the rest of the members leave. I know that they want to ask questions so badly, but based on the atmosphere, they know that it’s probably not a very good idea.

Quickly I go through drawers and try to get clothes that I need for tomorrow and possibly the next day. I also remember to grab my school uniform and all of my books and everything before walking out into the living room. I see Marisa sitting there laughing with all of the members and it warms my heart. I like how she’s getting along with them.

“Shall we go?” I ask her. I feel guilty for interrupting their fun.

“Sure,” she says standing up. “Sungyeol said that the manager’s car is going to be out there.”

“If you need anything, just ask one of us if it’s really serious, it seems like it is,” Shinwoo comments.

“I’ll update you guys as soon as possible,” I say as I head out of the door with Marisa. “Don’t worry.”

We both find the car waiting outside. “Are you Marisa and Jinyoung?” the man driving asks. We both nod our head and the door suddenly swings open.

“Sunggyu-ah, you scared me,” I tell him holding onto my chest.

“Sorry,” he says looking at me, “I just thought that maybe you guys would need verification that it’s our manager and not some random strange person.”

“Well thanks,” I say as Marisa and I get into the car. “Sunggyu, do you know what this is about?” I ask looking at him.

“Kind of, sort of, I know bits and details, but not a lot of it.”

We sit in the car quietly until we get to their dorm. Should I be afraid or excited about what I’m going to hear?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I didn’t want to say anything, but every bone and atom in my body was telling me that I should. It was saying that I should at least tell them about what happened at the restaurant. I was looking through the photos on the camera when Sungyeol suddenly came in.

“Who’s camera is that?” he asked me. Before I could respond, he took the camera from my hands and looked at all of the pictures. I then proceeded to explain to him about the people at the restaurant who were taking pictures of us and how I felt as though I knew them, but they had sunglasses on and I had absolutely no idea who they were.

Now we just sit patiently waiting for their arrival. We thought that we should tell them because Sungyeol doesn’t want Marisa in trouble, we don’t want either of them in trouble, but considering that Marisa and Sungyeol are dating, it would only make sense that he wants to protect her with his life.

Sunggyu finally walks in with the two of them. “You’re finally here,” Sungyeol remarks going over and immediately hugging Marisa. Jinyoung spots me sitting on the ground and sits down next to me, taking his backpack off in the process.

“What did you need to tell us?” I hear Marisa ask Sungyeol.

“Let’s go into my room,” I say as we make way towards the room that Sungyeol and I share.

“I don’t think it’s safe for you any more inside of your house,” Sungyeol blurts out immediately to Marisa before I could close the door.

“Why isn’t it?” Marisa asks.

“Myungsoo, show her the pictures.” He signals me who takes out the camera. I hand it to Jinyoung who puts it in the middle of him and Marisa. I see both of their eyes widen with every passing picture.

“W-w-who took these pictures?” I hear Marisa ask.

“I don’t know,” I say. “I honestly don’t know. In the restaurant, I thought I felt someone watching us and it was true. That’s who I was talking to at the restaurant. They practically let me take the camera from their hands, which means that they’re not afraid. I think that they’ve been following us for quite some time.” I look at the both of them as they digest the information. “I think that they may just be working for Seohyun.”

“Really?” Jinyoung utters. “I didn’t think it would get this serious.”

“I think that it has,” I tell him. “But there was a guy and a girl sitting at the booth in the restaurant, but somehow they seemed familiar, even if it was only their nose and their face. It felt like I’ve seen them before.”

“And because of the possible danger,” Sungyeol says, “we asked you guys to bring some of your stuff so you can stay here with us. We think that it’ll be better if you guys stay with us for a couple of days.”

“Won’t that make them even more suspicious?” Jinyoung asks.

“It might,” Sungyeol responds, “but we just want to protect our best friends from possible dangerous. You know stalkers these days, things can get dangerous.”

“Then why don’t we report it to the police?” Marisa suggests. “Surely they could help.”

“That would be the regular case,” I begin, “but when we came home, we found this note left, addressed to us.” I take the note out and decide to read it aloud. “Sungyeol, Myungsoo how was dinner tonight? I’m sure you guys are pretty content with what went down…besides Myungsoo, but that’s a different story. Anyway, Myungsoo, this is mostly addressed to you. Go ahead, feel free to tell your little friends about what happened today, but just know that the war is on and it’s going to be unlike any war that any of you have experienced before. I’d think you all need to watch your backs once in a while. Sincerely, you know who.” I close the letter and look at them. “Sadly, though, I don’t know who you know who is. I have a feeling it’s Seohyun, though.”

“They’re out to get us?” Marisa asks. “Why?”

“That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out,” I say.

“What do you mean you’ve been trying to figure out?” Jinyoung asks me.

“Hoya told me that he thought something bad was going to happen one day and the next day I find out that you guys broke up and Sungyeol and Marisa are together. Hoya’s instinct is incomparable to others. Anyway, a couple of times, Seohyun’s approached me and we’ve been basically battling it out ever since. This is getting more serious than I thought,” I say looking at all of them. At this moment, the four of us are truly afraid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mysterious letter and mysterious people, things can't be getting any better now. Who sent the mysterious letter? Who was taking pictures of everyone? Is Seohyun really behind this? What are the four going to do now, are they going to tell everyone, will they keep it to themselves? Myungsoo knew all about the fake relationship, he going to tell someone that he knows?

 

Chapter 9 is finished. Next chapter things will get even more serious. Enjoy :D