Are These... Feelings?

The Beautiful Mistake

Myungsoo’s POV

I can’t stay asleep. If anything makes a noise, I find myself waking up in an instant, which is strange since I’m normally a heavy sleeper. I look down on the bunk bed and see Sungyeol playing with his phone.

“Hey,” I say scaring him.

“Myungsoo-ah, you scared me,” he says putting his hand to his chest.

“Yeah,” I say gently going back to my bed and staring up at the ceiling.

“Is something wrong?” he asks poking his head out again.

“Um, how was the walk home with Marisa the other day?” I ask.

“It was good.”

“Did anything happen?”

“No, why should it?”

“Ah, just wondering if any like freak accident happened,” I say trying to make a cover for myself. Thankfully Sungyeol doesn’t read too much into things and doesn’t think anything about my almost slip of the tongue. “What are you doing with your phone?”

“Waiting to see if Marisa will text me,” Sungyeol says sliding the screen back and forth.

“Why would she text you?” I ask. I see no purpose in that.

“I dunno,” Sungyeol says shrugging his shoulders. “For some reason I think that she just might. But she probably won’t. I’m going to go to bed, night.”

“Sungyeol,” I say stopping him before he can turn over to sleep. “You like her, right?”

“What are you talking about?” he asks trying to play it off. I hear him move his position in his bed around about a thousand times before settling for about five seconds and deciding to move again.

“You like Marisa right?” I ask again.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

It’s Saturday night, the night of our weekly confession circle. Maybe I should say something about Seohyun becoming a problem. Now was the time to express ourselves and say anything that we were feeling. The others were expressing their own separate problems and I was sitting here debating whether or not to say something about her.

“Hyung!” I hear Gongchan yell.

“Eh?” I ask looking around.

“Do you have something to say?” he asks.

“Yeah, I do actually,” I say looking at all of them.

 

Marisa’s POV

It’s Sunday, the day of rest, but my cell phone wakes me up earlier than I had hoped. “Marisa,” I hear a voice say as soon as I pick up. I’m too tired to recognize the voice right now. “What are you doing?”

“Huh?” I ask.

“Are you still sleeping?”

“Eh?”

“We have to plan it,” the voice whispers.

“Plan what?” I ask as I sit up in bed and rub my eyes.

“Plan Jinyoung-hyung’s surprise party, of course,” the voice says. “Have you forgotten already?”

Ah, that’s right. Jinyoung’s birthday is next week. It now registers to me that the voice on the other line is Gongchan. He’s the only one who regularly calls me anyway. I don’t know why I didn’t think about it before.

“We’re going to come knocking on your door,” Gongchan says.

“We?” I ask.

“Me and the other three hyungs of course. Actually, we’re already in your house.”

“You’re already in my house?” I ask shocked. Now I’m fully awake.

“Yeah, so just come downstairs when you’re ready.” I hear Gongchan hang up and I can’t say anything else.

Within the next half an hour, I manage to dress myself and make my way downstairs where Gongchan, Sandeul, Baro, and Shinwoo are sitting in the living room with my mother. They all seem like they’re chatting happily.

“Oh, you’re here, Marisa. Would you like something to eat?” my mother asks at the sight of me. I shake my head. “Okay, well I was just talking with these nice young men here. They were telling me all about this surprise party that you guys are planning. I think that it’s a very good thing.”

“Thanks, Mom,” I grumble. “I’m going to go now. Bye,” I say as a I grab my jacket and drag the other three members out of my house.

We go into their managers van and of course, Jinyoung is missing. I was expecting him to be. How can someone plan a surprise party when the person who the surprise party is for is present?

“Where’s Jinyoung?” I can’t help but ask.

“He said that he had something important to do today,” Shinwoo explains as we all pile in. I sit in the back between Sandeul and Gongchan. Shinwoo and Baro sit in the middle.

“Ah,” I say nodding my head. For some reason, the atmosphere feels a little tense.

“Hey, hey,” Gongchan says putting his arm around me. “We’re going to meet up with the members of Infinite at the venue where we want to have the party.”

“Where are you thinking about having it?” I ask.

‘At some hotel,” Sandeul says. “It’s kind of far away, so you can catch up on your sleep here, if you wish. We’re also going to hold Jinyoung’s day at that venue, that’s what it’s perfect.”

“Jinyoung's day?” I ask.

“You know how we had Gongchan Day and Baro Day?” Shinwoo asks.

I do remember those, they were like mini fanmeetings that the members of B1A4 had in celebrations of their members birthday. It’s actually fun and really awesome. I don’t know any group that does that.

“Ah, I remember,” I say. “But is a week too short of a notice?”

“Nah, the invites went out a long time ago,” Baro says.

“Then why didn’t I know any of this?” I ask surprised. “The invites were passed out a while ago?”

“Yeah, sorry, Marisa,” Gongchan says. “We were just planning and you were busy with some exams.”

“But you would’ve been, too,” I say looking at Gongchan.

“True,” he says with a sly smile. “That’s why all of the hyungs did the work.”

“Ah, okay,” I say looking at all of them.

Less than halfway into the ride, I feel my eyes getting heavy again. I decide to close them for a little while. I feel my head move a little and I make a little sound. “Shh,” I hear a voice say, it’s Sandeul. I feel him move some of the hair out of my face. “Just sleep, Marisa,” he says with his accent coming out a little. I form a little smile on my face and fall back asleep.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

I sit in the company’s room silently. I lied and told the guys that I had somewhere important to go. I guess this place is important, but I’m just staring at the computer. Maybe I should take a walk, it might clear my head and I would be able to create some more rhythms and beats, or maybe I should make a soft ballad song. What would touch a girl’s heart?

I grab my jacket to get some inspiration by going outside. I make sure to take my phone just in case something comes to me and I can record my voice.

I don’t know what I’m searching for and I don’t know what I’m actually walking towards, but my mind has been too jumbled up lately. Ever since I told Marisa, ever since I said something to her three months ago, things around us have been tense. It’s not only on her part, but it’s only on mine. Maybe I shouldn’t have told her it; maybe I shouldn’t have said anything. I sit down on a nearby bench and put my hands into my face.

 

THREE MONTHS AGO

I wait in the classroom for Marisa to arrive. I’m going to tell her today so we don’t go too far. It’s practically been three months already into our relationship and I should tell her so our feelings don’t go too far. This is only a fake relationship. For the past week or so, I’ve had to remind myself of that a couple of times. Maybe this is more for my benefit than it is for keeping her heart away from mine? Maybe I don’t want her to come any closer to me so I won’t have this feeling anymore.

“What do you want?” I hear Marisa ask as she enters.

“Take a seat,” I say pointing to the seat next to me.

She does as I say and she looks at me. “What do you want?”

“Listen,” I begin, “we’re in a fake relationship, right?” I see her nod her head. “I’m going to let this relationship go for the while. As soon as the agency says that I can break it off, I’m going to do it.” I look into her eyes and I see her smile. Any passerby would think that we’re having a good time like any couple would, but as I look deeper into her eyes, is that hurt I see? Have I just hurt her feelings?

Not able to look into her eyes anymore, I get up and head towards the doorway. “So, don’t fall for me,” I say looking back at her. I turn away and walk out of the room leaving her there alone. Maybe I shouldn’t have done that, maybe I should have said it nicer, maybe I shouldn’t have said anything about it at all. Walking down the hallway, my footsteps become heavy. What is this feeling?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Can I share my thoughts?” I ask Sungyeol. We’re sitting in our room today. The other boys probably went out to play, but we both rejected saying that we’re exhausted. They didn’t even question us, they just left. They probably went to go plan the surprise party? I think that I heard Sunggyu tell the others that that’s where they were going.

“Go ahead,” Sungyeol says. He lying on his bed staring at the upper bunk and I’m sitting on the floor in Indian style.

“I don’t think that Marisa and Jinyoung are in an actual relationship,” I say quietly.

“What?” Sungyeol asks sitting up fast and hitting his head on the bunk.

“Shh,” I say quieting him.

“Myungsoo, no one’s home,” Sungyeol says looking at me.

“Ah, yeah,” I say giving a lame smile.

“Explain yourself,” Sungyeol demands facing me. “Why do think that Marisa and Jinyoung would lie to all of us for five months?”

 

Marisa’s POV

I slowly wake up from my name and smell something good. I open my eyes and see that it’s actually Sandeul’s scent that I’m smelling. I look down and I see that our hands are intertwined. Upon this realization, I feel my face getting warmer. Thankfully the rest of the members are sleeping so they won’t be able to notice, but why is it happening? Sandeul is only a friend, right? I haven’t spent much time with him very much and when he talks to me sometimes, I can’t understand him because of his accent.

Why are we holding hands, though? It’s not even like I’ve held hands with Jinyoung before, besides the day that he saved me from falling. All of these sort of “firsts” aren’t happening with Jinyoung, they’re happening with other people. Is that trying to tell me something?

 

Jinyoung’s POV

I feel a tap on my shoulder. I immediately turn around to see who tapped me. Recognizing the person, I immediately turn the other way and run. I don’t care about anything right now; I just want to run away.

“Jinyoung, Jinyoung!” I hear the voice yell. I don’t even turn back. I just run.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another chapter is finished.

Is Myungsoo headed towards something? What is Sungyeol going to do now that Myungsoo's told him? What's up with Marisa and Sandeul now? Who did Jinyoung see on the streets that made him run?