What Are We?

The Beautiful Mistake

Jinyoung’s POV

Marisa and I walk hand-in-hand throughout the town. There are some of the older people that recognize me as we walk and I greet them. They all comment on how much I’ve grown through the years and how it’s nice to see me. They also comment on how I have such a nice girlfriend. Marisa don’t say anything about it, she probably doesn’t want to burst their bubble.

While we’re walking, I can’t help but to look at her way a couple of times. She doesn’t look happy and now I have no doubt that she was upset because of Sungyeol. I’m not going to force her to tell me why, though. I’m going to wait until she wants to open up to me, if she ever wants to. I’m just happy that I’m spending time with her now.

After taking her around town, we finally arrive back home to eat some lunch. Awkwardly, well it’s not awkward for me, but it probably is for Marisa, we all gather around the table, well just my parents and Marisa and me.

“You guys make a cute couple,” my mother comments.

“Ah, thank you,” I say back to her. Marisa and I haven’t said anything saying that we aren’t a couple. I’d rather just let my parents live in this fantasy land than bursting their bubble. They always wanted to see me have a nice girlfriend and I think that Marisa fits their expectations.  She’s nice, cute, and I don’t know what anyone would see in her to not like her.

“What’s your name?” she asks as we sit down to eat.

“It’s Marisa,” Marisa says politely. Underneath of the table, Marisa is holding my hand. I can tell that she’s nervous because she’s shaking a little bit. I just squeeze her hand back, attempting to comfort her.

“How old are you?” my father asks.

“She’s the same age as Gongchan,” I pipe up. “You know, Gongchan, from my group.”

“So then she’s your dongsaeng,” my mother says. “And you’re her oppa?” I simply nod my head. I can’t tell my parents that she doesn’t call me oppa because she doesn’t. I don’t know why, but maybe it’s just kind of like a barrier between us, the thing that’s preventing us from having a real relationship. Then again, that’s probably not the only thing that’s preventing us. “But you’re dating,” my mother adds, “so you’re much closer than that. Well, let’s eat.”

Marisa and I simply stare at each other while we eat, we can’t really say anything and I know that Marisa probably feels weird about coming to my home, but I think that she should come, especially with everything going on with her and Sungyeol for now, it seems like everything is just too much for her to handle at this moment. She should get away for a little bit.

After lunch, Marisa and I make our way upstairs into my bedroom. I suggest that she sleep because she looks tired, especially after seeing that text message, it’s like all of her energy has been drained from her.

“I don’t want to rest,” she protests.

“But you look tired,” I comment. “Just take a little nap.”

“Fine,” she pouts. “But you visit with your family, okay? It’s been a long time since you’ve seen them; you don’t have to spend the time with me when the only thing I’m going to be doing is sleeping.”

“I’ll stay with you until you sleep and then I’ll go downstairs and be with them, okay? Is that a deal?” I put her on my bed and gently tuck her into the covers. Slowly, I think I’m learning how to become a better boyfriend, overall just how to become a better person. I watch Marisa as she silently goes to sleep and wait until I can tell that she’s completely sleeping like I told her I was going to do.

“Jinyoung,” I hear her say in her sleep. I immediately turn around and look at her. “Thank you.”

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Do you know where Jinyoung and Marisa are?” I ask Sandeul as we walk home from school.

“I thought they were coming today,” Sandeul says.

“Everyone thought they were coming today,” I comment.

Sandeul just shakes his head and shrugs his shoulders. “Do you want me to try to call him?”

“Nah,” I say, “I can.” I suddenly look around and I see that Sungyeol’s not with us, where did he end up going? “Hey,” I say grabbing Sandeul’s attention again, “tell the others that I’ll meet you guys at your dorm. I forgot that I have something to do.”

“Oh, okay,” Sandeul says looking a little lost.

I detach myself from the group and start walking back to the school, Sungyeol has to be around there somewhere. Is he with Seohyun? He never gave me the reason or why he asked Seohyun to go to the amusement park, it makes no sense. Was he attempting to tell Marisa that he liked Seohyun? But why in the world would he like Seohyun, after everything that we went through with her so far. Everything just makes no sense. Is he attempting to push Marisa and Jinyoung together or was he just always like this from the start?

Walking right into the school grounds, I almost accidentally make myself noticed as I see Sungyeol standing near the front, but thankfully he’s not looking my way. It looks like he’s waiting for someone, though. He’s definitely not waiting for Marisa since she wasn’t in school and he normally walks her home. Is he waiting for Seohyun?

After what seems like forever, I finally see a figure approaching him, is it Seohyun? It surely looks like Seohyun. I hide near the entrance, but get a little closer to attempt to get a better look and I see that it is Seohyun. What is Sungyeol planning on doing with Seohyun? I watch as the both of them hug, but I can’t hear what they’re saying. It seems like they’re really close to each other, though. Should I be afraid?

The two begin to move towards the front gate and I move my position so I don’t get caught. I watch Sungyeol as he slip his arm around Seohyun’s waist and grabs her bag as they begin walking down the street. This is a side of Sungyeol that I’ve never seen before. He’s never acted this way with Marisa. It seemed like he was always more careful with her, I guess he’s just more daring with a more daring type girl.

What is he doing, though? Was he really cheating on Marisa this whole time?

Following them for a while, I realize that they aren’t going anywhere important, they’re just spending time with one another, like it’s a date. They can’t be going on a date, they just can’t be. Sungyeol won’t hear the end from me now.

Walking back to the B1A4 dorm alone, I decide to call Jinyoung. “Hyung,” I say as soon as he picks up, “where are you?”

“I’m at home,” he responds.

“By home, what do you mean? The dorms?”

“No, my home.”

His home? Does Jinyoung mean his hometown? “You mean back home back home?” I ask.

“Yea, why?”

“Is Marisa there with you?” I ask. I hear silence on the other line; she must be there with him. “Look, I’m not going to tell anyone,” I say, “I just want to know if she’s okay.”

I hear Jinyoung sigh on the other line. “She’s okay, don’t worry.”

“When are you guys going to be back?”

“Two days from now,” he responds. “We’re going to spend two nights here.” They’re going to spend the night with each other? I’m sure they aren’t going to do anything, though.

“Is Marisa alright?” I ask quietly.

“What’s going on with her and Sungyeol?” Jinyoung asks.

“I’m not sure myself either,” I say. “Did something happen with her?”

“I don’t know if I should say this,” Jinyoung starts, “but she got a strange text message from an unknown number with pictures of Seohyun and Sungyeol.” She got a strange text message? I’m sure that neither Sungyeol nor Seohyun would send out text messages, but then would they? “Marisa was pretty upset at that,” Jinyoung continues explaining. “She’s sleeping right now, resting.”

“I’ll tell you if anything happens, okay?” I ask. “I’ve arrived at your dorm and I won’t tell your members about this conversation.”

“Okay,” Jinyoung says. “I’ll see you when I return home.”

“Yea,” I say hanging up the phone.

This is just getting stranger and stranger. Marisa gets a text message and Sungyeol and Seohyun are on what appears to be a date? Is Sungyeol really cheating on Marisa? Everything points to the fact that he is, but then why would he like Marisa in the first place? Who was his first girlfriend? I think about those things while I go meet everyone in the dorms. I can’t tell them about this, though; they’ll just want to take action. If we take action, worse things may happen. Jinyoung and I just have to play it out safely from now on.

 

Marisa’s POV

I open my eyes to a strange room and it takes me a moment to realize that this is Jinyoung’s room. “Ah, you’re up,” I hear him say. I open my eyes and see that he’s sitting at his desk on his computer.

“How long was I sleeping for?” I ask rubbing my eyes.

“You slept for quite a while,” Jinyoung comments smiling. “It’s already past dinner. I didn’t know you were that tired.”

“I guess everything just caught up to me, you know,” I confess. “It’s been a very stressful weekend. I guess you could say that I haven’t been sleeping that well.”

“Well it’s nice to know that you’ve rested up. I saved some dinner downstairs for you; do you want to have some?”

“Sure,” I say getting out of bed. I follow Jinyoung down towards his kitchen where he takes the food out and starts heating some of it up.

I sit at the table across from Jinyoung and begin eating some of the food. We sit in silence since neither of us don’t really know what to do or say. Jinyoung doesn’t really know the reason why I’ve been stressed lately, should I tell him? He saw the text message so he must have some hint about what’s going on, he just doesn’t happen to have the full story. I look at him while I eat and I see that he’s looking at me. “What are you looking at?” I ask him.

“Was I staring?” he asks. I simply nod my head. “Sorry. I didn’t think I was.”

“That’s alright,” I say smiling.

“Look, you smiled,” Jinyoung says pointing at it. “You actually laughed at me. Should I be hurt or happy that you smiled?” Jinyoung smiles back at me.

“Look about earlier,” I begin.

“You don’t have to say anything if you don’t want to,” Jinyoung quickly interrupts.

“I want to, you must have a million questions,” I say. “And I want to lean on someone,” I whisper.

“Okay then,” he says intertwining his own fingers and setting his arms onto the table and leaning forward. “Tell me your problems, I’ll always be the person you can lean on, Marisa.”

“I mean, it’s not like a major problem,” I begin. “Or maybe it is, but I’m just wondering about what I really am to Sungyeol. After the amusement park, I called him since he didn’t call me back or text me, and Seohyun answered his phone.”

“Seohyun answered his phone?” Jinyoung asks.

“Yeah, and I’ve been asking myself so many questions about what I mean to Sungyeol and what he means to me.”

“And what have you come up with?”

I look at him, should I say it? I have thought about the questions all weekend and have been thinking about my relationship with Sungyeol, I’ve been thinking of everything we went through and how he was always there for me. Thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes.

“Go ahead,” Jinyoung says, “you can tell me. Remember, we’re friends.”

“I don’t think I like him as much as I thought I did,” I confess. I see Jinyoung’s face as his eyes go wide. “I think that it was sort of my helplessness in the first place that brought Sungyeol and I together, I mean everything with you and Seohyun kind of forced me together with Sungyeol. Since he was always by my side, I thought that I liked him, but in reality, I just liked him watching over me…kind of like an older brother. I guess that that’s all I see him as, an older brother.”

“An older brother,” Jinyoung repeats. “Does that mean that you’re going to break up with him?”

I nod my head. “I was thinking about it, but I don’t know a good time.”

“Why not do it right now?” Jinyoung suggests. “If you do it right now, you can have the next two days all to yourself without worrying about anything. You and I can have fun here.”

I think about his offer and it does sound good, just breaking it off with Sungyeol now in order to have a good time without worrying about anything. It sounds very appealing. “Sure,” I say getting up from the table, “I’m going to go call him now.”

“Okay, I’ll clean up,” Jinyoung says.

“Do you want me to help you?”

“No, go call him. I can handle this.”

I quickly make my way to Jinyoung’s room, find my cell phone, and dial Sungyeol’s number. After what seems like ages, someone finally picks up, and thankfully it’s Sungyeol, not Seohyun, although there’s no guarantee that he’s not with her.

“Marisa,” I hear him say, “are you alright? Where are you? I was worried about you all day.”

“Sure you were,” I sharply say at him.

“Marisa, is something wrong? Let me explain.”

“Sungyeol…oppa,” I hesitantly say, “I think we should break up.” Saying that sentence, it reminds me of the time that I broke up with Jinyoung, well it was more like calling our fake relationship off, but I said it the exact same way.

“Why? What’s wrong?” Sungyeol immediately asks.

“Nothing’s wrong,” I say, my heart is beating furiously. “I just think that we aren’t good for each other. I think we were forced together because of the circumstances. I don’t think we like each other as much as we think.”

“Do you really think that way?” Sungyeol asks, I can hear hurt in his voice.

“I do think that way. I think we should break up. Goodbye, Sungyeol-oppa. It was nice being your girlfriend and always having you by my side. I hope we can be good friends in the future.”

“It was nice being your boyfriend,” Sungyeol responds, “and we will be able to be good friends. Goodbye, Marisa.” After a long silence, we both hang up the phone.

My first break up with my first real boyfriend, is it supposed to feel this bad? I feel tears coming again, but before I can release them, I feel Jinyoung’s arms around me again. Somehow whenever he hugs me, I automatically feel comforted, no matter what my mood was before the hug, it immediately goes away after his arms are around me.

“Do you feel better now?” he asks me. I just simply nod my head yes. I do feel better now that I’ve broken up with Sungyeol, even if not completely better, I at least know that I don’t have to worry about what he’s doing anymore and it doesn’t matter if he’s with Seohyun because we aren’t boyfriend and girlfriend. At least with that part I feel better, but it’s still sad because we’ve broken up. Breakups are always sad.

This time instead of just receiving the hug, I turn around and wrap my arms around Jinyoung to hug him back. I want to hug him back; he’s done so much for me ever since we’ve broken up. “Jinyoung, your heart is beating really fast,” I comment.

I hear him lightly chuckle. “That happens when someone that you like is hugging you back,” he says, I bet he’s probably smiling while saying that.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

I can’t believe that Marisa broke up with Sungyeol and I can’t believe that she’s hugging me back. Isn’t this the first time? I think this is the first time that Marisa and I have done something that we both want to do at the same time. This hug, it’s an important step in our relationship and our friendship.

“Hey,” I say pulling away from the hug and looking at her. “Why don’t we do something that will make you laugh?”

“What?” she asks curiously.

I walk over to my closet and pull out some boxes and begin going through them. I pull out some of my baby books and show her them. “We can look at old photos of me.”

“Okay,” she says with a smile. I can’t help but laugh at her.

I find some picture books and Marisa and I sit on top of my bed on our stomachs and look over them together. She laughs and points at pictures that she didn’t think were me because I don’t look the same in her eyes.

“I think you were better looking back then,” she comments with a laugh.

I can only laugh with her as I point out some pictures from my younger years that I actually remember and tell her the stories behind them. It sounds like she enjoys listening about my childhood and everything that I did when I was younger.

Soon, it gets late and I see her start nodding off. “Marisa,” I say, “why don’t you go wash up and go to bed?”

“Okay,” she groggily responds. “Where’s your bathroom?”

While she’s washing up, I clear the picture books off of the bed and make a space for me on the floor, spreading out the blankets. I watch Marisa come into the room with plaid blue and white pants with a matching blue t-shirt. “I’m going to go wash up,” I say getting off of the floor, “feel free to go to sleep in the bed.”

“Aren’t you going to be uncomfortable on the floor?” she asks.

I shrug my shoulders. “I’ll be perfectly fine.”

“Why don’t you sleep on the bed next to me?” she suggests. Am I hearing what I think I’m hearing?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Sungyeol,” I say hitting him. “It’s time to go to school, why aren’t you getting ready?” Last night after a certain point, Sungyeol started acting weird. I’m not entirely sure why, but he just seemed completely out of it. “Wake up already,” I complain.

“I’m not going to school,” he comments as he rolls over in bed.

“Why not?” I ask.

“Because there’s no need.”

“You’re graduating soon, don’t you want to go to school for the last couple of times?” I ask.

“I can’t.”

“Just get up,” I say as I start pulling his sheets off of his bed. “Why won’t you go to school?”

“I don’t want to see Marisa.”

“And why don’t you want to see her?” I can’t tell Sungyeol that she won’t be in school.

“She broke up with me last night. She said that she doesn’t think that we like each other as much as we think.” Marisa broke up with him? I don’t think I saw that coming.

“Hey did you guys see the paper?” Sungjong asks coming in. Sungyeol and I shake our heads. “There’s an article in it about Marisa and Jinyoung-hyung. It says that they were seen traveling to Jinyoung-hyung’s hometown and that they both had bags. It looked like they were going on a trip together.”

My eyes go wide and I look at Sungyeol. “What?” he asks. “She’s with Jinyoung? Why didn’t she tell me anything? Is she cheating on me with him?”

“Why didn’t you tell her that you’re with Seohyun?” I ask. I didn’t mean to ask it, it just happened to come out of my mouth.

“What did you say?” Sungyeol asks.

“Why didn’t you tell Marisa that you were with Seohyun at the amusement park? Why would it matter if she’s cheating on you with Jinyoung if you’ve been cheating on her with Seohyun?” Sungyeol just stares at me, he doesn’t respond. “You were actually cheating on Marisa,” I say as I stare him. “I can’t believe you.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the story behind Sungyeol and Seohyun? Is Marisa starting to have feelings for Jinyoung? Now that Sungyeol and Marisa are broken up, is Jinyoung going to attempt to make a move? Is Sungyeol going to try to get Marisa back?

 

Chapter 20 is up. Hope you enjoyed :D