Mending the Broken Parts

The Beautiful Mistake

Marisa’s POV

I wait for the members to come bursting into my room at any moment. While passing the time, I stare at the couple ring that Jinyoung had gotten for me. The DVD is still fresh in my mind, him confessing his feelings to me and singing those songs. I feel as though they happened right in front of me in real life rather than just watching it on a DVD player.

I play with the ring in my hands, twirling it around. Should I wear it? I really shouldn’t because Sungyeol would expect something, right? Wouldn’t they notice the ring right off the bat? Sungyeol would know that he didn’t get it for me so he would think that I was cheating on him. What are my feelings for Sungyeol exactly? Do I actually see him as my boyfriend? Of course I do. When he kissed me yesterday, it felt as though everything around me melted. But what are my feelings towards Jinyoung? He’s just a jerk that hasn’t visited me since I woke up, he’s a bad person. Yes, that’s what he is, just a bad person, a jerk.

“Marisa!” I hear Sungjong yell and come running into my room. He runs up to the bed and gives me a big hug. I attempt to hide away the ring, but with nowhere else to put it without someone else seeing it, or picking it up, I decide to put it on my finger. It won’t do anything, right?

“Hey Sungjong-oppa,” I say greeting him happily. “Where is everyone else?”

“Oh, they’re bringing all of the presents,” he exclaims. No later as he said that, the rest of the members come in hauling a bunch of gifts.

“Wow, that’s a lot of presents,” I say as I watch them get stacked in the hospital room.

“You deserve them,” I hear Sungyeol say coming up to me. “Good morning and Merry Christmas,” he comments as he kisses my lips. He doesn’t kiss my forehead anymore, not after he kissed me on the lips.

“Merry Christmas, Sungyeol-oppa,” I say back.

The rest of the members venture their way in saying the various ‘Merry Christmas’ and ‘hello’ greetings. I greet them all back with a happy expression when I suddenly see someone slip in through the door. I blink my eyes and rub them to make sure that I’m seeing what I think I’m seeing.

“Jinyoung?” I ask. He turns around and my suspicions are confirmed. “What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be hanging out with your girlfriend?” We both just stare at each other unable to do anything.

“Um…Merry Christmas, Marisa,” he says scratching the back of his head. “I’m glad to see that you’re well.”

“Of course you are,” I retort. Suddenly the video comes back to my mind and the anger is suddenly gone for a moment, but then I think about the press conference, the anger is right back. What is Jinyoung doing to me?

 

Jinyoung’s POV

I never wanted to come to the Christmas party. Gongchan and the rest of the members, especially Gongchan, bothered me about coming. In the end, I had no choice. It was either going to the party or hanging out with Seohyun. I’d rather be surrounded by a bunch of people that don’t like me than hanging out with Seohyun. That decision is easy.

I look at Marisa, she looks well since the last time I saw her, well she’s awake now, that’s good. It looks like she’s happy with Sungyeol, though. Maybe I shouldn’t interfere with their relationship, maybe it was a bad idea to even consider doing it in the first place. However, when I look at Marisa for the second time, I see a ring on her finger. I look down at my own hand that has the couple ring on it and I look back at the one on Marisa’s finger. It’s the same one.

Marisa saw the video, she saw the DVD, she heard everything, but it looks like she has no reaction to it. She probably just thought it was me being stupid and disregarded the whole thing, but the ring is on her finger, that has to mean something, right? She spots me staring at the ring and she quickly covers it. She’s probably attempting to keep it a secret. Well it’s a secret that I’m going to be able to keep.

While everyone is off having a good time, I’m just sitting apart from the rest of the group. I don’t want to destroy their good time. “Hey,” Sungyeol says coming and sitting down next to me. It’s the first time that he’s greeted me since the accident. I didn’t see him much when I was hospitalized because he was always with Marisa, and then when I got released, I started dating Seohyun. Things were rocky between us, they still might be.

“Hey,” I say. “Why aren’t you with Marisa?”

“Why don’t you take her for a walk around the hospital floor?” he suggests. I just look at him. Why would he want me to take his girlfriend around for a walk? “You guys have a lot to talk about, right? Why don’t you get the misunderstandings cleared up?”

“Are you sure?” I ask.

“I’m sure,” Sungyeol says. “Go ahead, make up with her, be the good friends that you were before the accident.” Sungyeol nudges me and looks at me with a smile; I guess I have no choice.

I slowly approach Marisa’s hospital bed. “Um…hey,” I say attempting to start a conversation.

“What do you want?” Marisa snaps at me.

“Do you want to go for a walk? Sungyeol said that you’d like to go for a walk.”

“Sungyeol-oppa said so?” she asks her face suddenly brightening up. I guess she does like him more than me, of course she would, he’s her boyfriend. I can’t help but feel a little mad and sad at the same time that she’s using the word ‘oppa’ on everyone else but me. Even during our fake relationship she didn’t call me Jinyoung-oppa.

“Let’s go?” I ask grabbing her crutches and giving them to her. She takes it and gets down from the bed.

Our walk through the hallway is silent until we sit down at a bench. She sits on one end and I sit on the other. I’m afraid to go anywhere close to her. I know that she’s already seen the video. I’m embarrassed by just being around her now, but I can’t let her know that I know. I want her to admit that she’s seen the movie herself without me directly stating it. It feels awkward sitting here with her alone, though.

 

Marisa’s POV

Why would Sungyeol instigate Jinyoung walking me around the halls like he normally does? He has to know that I saw the video, he was staring at the ring and I also saw that he has the exact same ring on his finger. No one’s caught onto it, though.

“Why didn’t you ever visit me?” I ask turning to face Jinyoung. I adjust myself so that I’m comfortably facing him. Jinyoung looks a little taken aback by the question. “Fine then,” I say crossing my arms at my chest, “don’t answer the question then.”

“I didn’t mean to,” he softly says. He’s leaning forward on the bench, his elbows are on his needs and his fingers are around his face. “Things just got complicated.”

“Too complicated that you can’t even say hi once to the girl that was in the accident with you?”

He sighs and turns himself so that he’s looking at me, too. “Seohyun started to become a problem, so I focused all of my energy there. I didn’t mean to neglect you, but after everything that happened with Seohyun and then everything that happened with the rest of the members, I didn’t think that I had the right to see you again. Hence I distanced myself.” Jinyoung starts talking fast, so it takes me a while to be able to register everything that he says. “I never meant to neglect you again, things just turned out this way.”

“Couldn’t you have put a stop to it?” I ask. “Just one hello every once in a while? A visit? A phone call? I haven’t seen you since before the accident, Jinyoung.”

“I know,” he whispers.

“Do you know how much I wanted to see you? Do you know how much I wanted to know if you were okay?” I ask him. I feel tears forming in my eyes as I speak these words to him. This might be the most truthful conversation that I’ve had with him in a long time. Well the last time that we had a heart to heart conversation was when he was at my house.

“Do you know how much I wanted to see you?” Jinyoung asks. “I wanted to see you, but I could never bring myself to do it. Why? I’m a coward, you should already know.” I look at him. I can’t believe that we’re both saying these words to each other, right here, right now, on Christmas. “When you were unconscious I always looked over you,” he says his voice dropping to a whisper once again. “When Sungyeol and the rest of the members had to complete a schedule, I was always by your bedside watching over to you.”

The pieces of the DVD then click in my mind. That’s probably when he said the words to me before, when I was unconscious. That’s why I don’t remember any of it; I wasn’t awake at that time. It makes perfect sense, but why isn’t he admitting that he knows that I saw the video, or even the fact that he made a video? Does he not like me anymore? Has his heart gone to Seohyun already?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Why did you let Jinyoung-hyung take your daily walk with Marisa?” I ask as I go up to Sungyeol.

“I just thought that he and Marisa need to get their problems straightened out,” Sungyeol says unconcerned. “Why? Should I be on my toes about him?”

“No, no,” I say sitting down next to him. “Why the sudden change of heart?”

“Yesterday when we went on our daily walk after the press conference, she was upset that Jinyoung was dating Seohyun. I thought that she should just talk things out with him and hopefully it can set her mind at ease.”

“I understand,” I tell him. “At least you want your girlfriend to be happy, right?”

“Do you think she’s happy with me?” Sungyeol suddenly asks.

“Why would you ask that?”

“Well, she was upset because of Jinyoung and it seems like whenever Jinyoung’s around, she gets all tense. Do you think that she has feelings for him? I know that she told me their relationship was fake before, but do you think that she likes him? Do you think that she’s happy with me or just content?”

“I don’t know, I really don’t know,” I say. Reading Marisa is sometimes hard, she’s good at keeping her emotions a secret sometimes, and other times she just lets everything catch up to her. Even I have a hard time trying to determine what is true and what isn’t.

“Do you think that Jinyoung likes her back?” I don’t say anything to answer his question. “Maybe I should just break up with her.”

“What would make you say that?” I ask.

“I don’t know, I just don’t think that she’s happy with me. I think that she would be happier with Jinyoung.”

“You’re letting her go to Jinyoung?” I ask puzzled. This isn’t something that Sungyeol would normally do, especially or a girl that he really likes.

“Maybe,” he says, “I have to think about how everything plays out. I have to discover my feelings for her first.”

For someone who doesn’t really catch onto things fast, he’s really catching onto things fast this time. I guess it makes sense, though, Marisa is his girlfriend. He has a reason to worry about her.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

“You were beside me?” she asks. I look at her and see concern in her eyes; she really does care about something at least.

“I was always beside you silently,” I say. “After we broke up, I realized how much I like you Marisa. Do you hear me for the second time?” I ask her. “I like you, I don’t like Seohyun, I could never like Seohyun.”

“Then why are you going out with her?” Marisa asks.

“I have no choice.”

“Why would you have no choice? She’s the one that we were battling before the accident, but after it, you just go out with her like she’s the best person alive?”

“Marisa, you don’t understand.”

“I don’t understand?” I ask. “Right, I don’t understand just like I don’t understand your feelings towards me. You neglected me as a girlfriend in the beginning and now you’re saying that you like me? What am I supposed to think? I’m dating Sungyeol-oppa.”

“That’s why I wasn’t going to say anything,” I tell her, “but you already saw it. It doesn’t matter whether or not I say it now.” I watch her face as she acts as though she didn’t see it. “Don’t play dumb, you saw the video. If not, then why do you have that ring on your finger?”

“Then why do you have one on yours?” she asks right back at me.

“How can you be so sure that it’s yours?” I ask.

“I saw it in the video,” she says quietly.

“What?” I ask putting my hand up to my ear signaling for her to speak louder.

“Ya, don’t be such a bad guy,” she says pushing me. “You know as well as I that you made a video.”

“And she admits it first,” I say with a big smile on my face. The air between us has suddenly lightened up dramatically.

“Jung Jinyoung, do you want to die?” she asks with a smile as she raises her hands to hit me once again, but I’m faster than she is and I grab her arm before she has the chance to hit me and pull her in for a hug.

“Listen to me, Marisa. I’ll make it up to you in the future, okay? I’ll prove to you that I can be a good boyfriend, okay?” I ask her. I feel my heartbeat quickening; I just hope she doesn’t notice anything. “Just wait for me a little while longer and you’ll understand everything.”

“Ya! Jung Jinyoung, what do you think you’re doing?” I hear a voice say. I turn around and it’s Gongchan.

“Gongchan,” I say, “what are you doing?” Marisa and I quickly pull away from each other, now embarrassed.

“I was getting some drinks,” he says holding up the drinks that he has in his hands. “I didn’t think that I would see you guys hugging. So I guess you guys are on good terms now?” he cheerfully asks as he comes over. “Why don’t we head back to the room together?”

“Sure, we’ll be there in a minute,” I say speaking for both Marisa and me.

I help Marisa get up off of the bench and we start walking back towards the room. The air between us was once tense, then it lightened up and was joyful, and now it’s awkward because Gongchan saw us. I quickly bend down and kiss Marisa on the cheek, she just stares at me. “That’s your second Christmas present,” I say not looking at her because I know that I’m blushing. “You have your first and that was your second. Merry Christmas, Marisa.”

 

Marisa’s POV

Jinyoung, Gongchan, and I go back to the hospital room and suddenly it doesn’t seem like everyone is suffocating in the room. I guess when Jinyoung and I make up, Jinyoung and everyone make up. I try to have a good time with all of the guys, but my mind can’t escape the conversation with Jinyoung out in the hallway. We said a lot of things to each other that we both meant, it was a conversation that we haven’t had since the day he came to my house. I think we should have more conversations like that more often; it clears the air between us.

Maybe it’s because we started off on the wrong foot that we’re always misunderstanding each other and always quickly jumping to conclusions. Maybe we were forcing ourselves to attempt to care to each other and that’s the reason why we always heads. Either that or we’re both just strong headed people.

“Hey Marisa,” Sungyeol says sitting next to me in a chair. I’ve grown tired of always being in the hospital bed and found the windowsill to be a nice place because I can look out at all of the people. Upon hearing that I like sitting at the windowsill, the members all made sure that it was a comfy spot by lying blankets around and stacking pillows to make it comfortable.

“Hey Sungyeol-oppa,” I say. I move over a little and he sits on the windowsill with me.

“I take it that your conversation with Jinyoung went well.”

“I guess you could say that,” I say, “it looks like everyone is happy now, huh.”

“It does,” Sungyeol says looking around at everyone having a happy time. “In all of the commotion, I never got to give you my Christmas present.” I look at him excitedly; I can’t wait to see what he got me. “Close your eyes,” he says. I do as he says and I feel his hands move my hair and something cold touch my neck, he got me a necklace. “Merry Christmas.”

I open my eyes and see the necklace. “It’s beautiful, Sungyeol-oppa,” I tell him. The necklace is silver and has two letters hanging from it, an M and an S.

“It stands for Marisa and Sungyeol, as if you already didn’t know that. I know it’s kind of stupid,” Sungyeol says with a nervous laugh.

“Thank you,” I tell him. “It’s not stupid at all, it’s really sweet. When I get released, I’ll get you something that you’ll enjoy for sure.”

“You don’t have to,” he says.

“I want to,” I say as I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him. It’s the first time that I’ve taken initiative. I pull away as I look at him.

“I didn’t know that you were capable of doing that,” he jokes.

“Hey,” I say hitting him lightly.

“Aw, look at the love birds having a fight,” Woohyun points out.

“Hey,” I say sticking my tongue out at him.

“You’re just jealous that you don’t have a girlfriend,” Sungyeol says sticking his tongue out and wrapping his arm around my shoulder. Sometimes he can just be so childish.

“Hey Marisa, that’s a nice ring you have there,” Hoya says pointing at it.

“Ooh, it’s pretty,” I hear Sungjong comment. “Why didn’t I see it before?”

“Where did you get it?” Sandeul asks.

I look at everyone and I take a quick glance at Jinyoung who hides his underneath of his other hand. “Oh,” I say with a gentle laugh, “it’s a gift from my parents. They stopped in after you guys left for your schedule and they gave it to me early. It’s really nice, isn’t it?” I hold it up so they can all see.

“It really is,” Sungyeol says admiring it.

I take another quick glance at Jinyoung and we both take a sigh of relief. How long is this going to keep going?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

Marisa’s ring, there’s something fishy about it. It feels as though I saw something like it before, but I can’t remember. At least Marisa and Jinyoung are on better terms, even if they don’t trust each other fully, they at least are able to talk through things well.

I go over to Jinyoung. “Hey, so your talk went well I presume.”

“It went well,” he says nodding his head.

“That ring,” I begin. “Why does it seem like I saw it somewhere before?”

“Maybe her parents bought it from a famous place,” he says.

“True,” I say. “That’s always a possibility. Everyone’s glad that you and Marisa made up, now it can be just like old times.”

“Yeah,” he says looking at me with a smile. “Just like old times.”

What is going through Jinyoung’s mind right now? It seems like he knows something because he’s tense, but I’ll just disregard it and be like Sungyeol, watching how everything plays out. Plus, it’s Christmas, it’d be wrong of me to ruin the mood on Christmas. I’ll be a good boy for once and watch on the sidelines, for now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jinyoung and Marisa made up...for now. What is Sungyeol going to feel about their close friendship? How is he going to discover his feelings for Marisa? Is he going to break up with Marisa to let her go to Jinyoung? How is Jinyoung going to prove to Marisa that he's capable of being a good boyfriend? What ever happened to Seohyun?