It Was the Best of Times, It Was the Worst of Times

The Beautiful Mistake

Jinyoung’s POV

I slowly wake up and it takes me a moment to realize that I’m holding Marisa; I slept holding her in my arms. While it wouldn’t be the first time, since that one day I was in her house, it is the first time that one of us initiated it. Rather, Marisa was the one that suggested it last night. I didn’t want to at first, but after the constant persisting, it was the only thing that I could do to keep her happy.

I look at her while she’s still sleeping and I can’t help but notice how beautiful she looks. I want to make her mine, I want her to be my girlfriend, for real this time, but suddenly I remember that I’m technically still together with Seohyun, I have to break things off with her. I never considered my relationship with Seohyun real in the first place.

I look at the sleeping Marisa once again and can’t help but kiss her forehead. “Marisa, I’m going to make you mine once again. This time, I’ll never let you go,” I whisper before I gently unravel my arms and sneak out of my room grabbing my phone. I take a look at the time and see that Seohyun would be getting to school by now. Is she with Sungyeol?

“Jinyoungie-oppa,” I hear her say as soon as she answers the phone.

“I’m breaking up with you,” I say, “as if that day at the amusement park wasn’t a big enough hint.”

“Jinyoungie-oppa,” she says again, but I cut her off.

“I don’t want to hear any excuses or anything and I don’t really want to hear about how you’ve been since that day at the amusement park. Normally when people break up, they want to remain friends, but I…don’t.” I feel kind of bad saying these words to Seohyun, but they’re true. She put Marisa and me through torture. I don’t know how long I would’ve been able to endure it. “I’m breaking up with you.”

With that, I hang up the phone and decide to get ready for the day. As I make my way downstairs, I see my mother sitting at the kitchen table already. “Making breakfast?” I ask as I sit down across from her.

“Yeah, do you want some?” she asks.

“Sure,” I say as she gets up to get me some.

“Where’s Marisa?”

“She’s sleeping still,” I say.

“She sleeps quite a lot,” my mother says and I just smile, but I have no reason why.

“I guess she must be tired, she’s only a first year in school, plus she only moved to Korea almost a year ago,” I tell her. I think about it, it’s almost been a year since Marisa’s moved here; it’s practically been a year since I’ve met her. I can’t believe that time goes by so fast.

“Where did she move from?”

“The United States.”

“Wow, she traveled far,” my mother comments. “How did you guys meet in the first place?”

I know that my mom is curious about these types of things and I wonder if I should just tell her the truth or lie to her, I mean I could just use bits and pieces of the truth and then just intertwine it with some. Actually, thinking it over, my mom could probably help me do something nice for Marisa, she is a mom after all and a female, she’ll know what girls like. I think I should tell her the truth.

“Actually, Marisa and I met accidentally,” I confess.

“What do you mean, Jinyoung?” she asks confused.

“Um…well you know my group and I were walking down the street one day to go to the van and some guys were running and they knocked into this girl, I saved her from falling onto the sidewalk. It turns out that that girl was Marisa. When I saved her, though, some people started taking pictures and some rumors started up about us,” I start. I begin telling her about everything, about how we started a fake relationship and about how I wasn’t a very good boyfriend. I also told her about Marisa’s relationship with Sungyeol and the accident along with my other fake relationship with Seohyun to save us from torment. It’s like I’m just spilling out my life’s history to my mother.

I watch her as she takes it all in. she’s thinking about everything that I’m telling her, that has to be good, right? After I’ve finished, she just looks at me. “So you like her now, right?” I slowly nod my head yes. “Well it took you long enough.”

“What?”

“Your life sounds like a drama, Jung Jinyoung,” my mother says, “I was waiting for the part where you said that you liked her.”

“Well, I like her, Mom, but I don’t know what I can do for her. I mean, we already experienced one bad fake relationship. I’m struggling here.”

I see a light bulb go on above her head. “How about you cook breakfast for her and take it up to her room? You’re a really good cook, Jinyoung, I’m sure she’ll appreciate it.”

“But what’s about this breakfast?” I ask looking at the set table.

“You and I will eat this and you can make something for her,” my mother says. “I really like Marisa, she seems nice and she’s cute. I’m sure that you guys will be great together in a true relationship.”

“So you’re not mad that we lied to you? I mean, Marisa isn’t my girlfriend, yet.”

“No, I’m not mad,” my mother says shaking her head. “I’m not mad because I know that she will become your girlfriend.” My mom and I sit there smiling at each other.

 

Marisa’s POV

I wake up smelling something nice, something that smells good. I move my position a little bit and feel the empty space next to me, immediately sitting up. Jinyoung’s no longer next to me, I wonder where he went. As if he read my mind, Jinyoung comes bursting into his room carrying a tray.

“Here you go,” he says sitting it in front of me.

“What?” I ask scratching the back of my head and stretching.

“Your breakfast,” he comments. I look at the tray in front of me and see toast, pancakes, and eggs, along with some juice.

“Did you make this?” I ask looking at the food and looking back at Jinyoung. He nods his head. “Thank you.” I immediately grab Jinyoung and hug him. “For everything, thank you.”

“N-n-no problem,” I hear him stutter. “Now eat and then get ready for the day, we have plenty to do.”

“What are we going to do?” I ask.

“Whatever you want,” he simply says with a smile.

“Why don’t you show me all of the places that you liked to go to? Like your average day when you lived here,” I say.

I see him nod with an approving look. “So it’s settled,” he says with a smile. “Now eat, I’ll be downstairs.” Jinyoung kisses my forehead before he goes downstairs.

Today and the next day, I’m going to forget all about my life back home. I’m going to imagine as though none of it existed, I’m just going to enjoy my time here. Who knows what’s going to happen at the end of this trip, who knows what’s going to happen by the end of today. I’m just going to imagine that none of the drama happened, that I’m just the same Marisa that first arrived in Korea looking for some fun and excitement to my life.

I look at the breakfast that Jinyoung has made for me and can’t help but smile to myself. I can’t believe that he made all of this for me. I take a bite of the breakfast and it’s really impressive. I didn’t know that Jinyoung was able to cook something like this. A smile slowly creeps up on my face as I continue eating the breakfast. For some reason, I feel like today is going to be an interesting day.

Quickly, I finish the breakfast and I manage to wash up and get dressed in a pair of skinny jeans and a royal blue t-shirt with a white coat. I make my way downstairs where I see Jinyoung sitting with his mother watching some television. They both immediately spot me coming down the stairs.

“Hey, Marisa,” Jinyoung says getting up to greet me. “Ready?” I nod my head. “Mom, we’re going to be going out, okay?”

“Okay,” his mom says. “Be careful, alright?”

“Okay,” Jinyoung says.

“Will do,” I tell her as we leave the house.

Before we put our shoes on, Jinyoung looks at me and fixes the scarf that I put around my neck. “There we go,” he says, “perfect.”

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I decide to leave Sungyeol sulking in his bed, he wouldn’t move at all. “Hey, where’s Sungyeol?” Gongchan asks as we arrive at school. “Are all of the third years just not going to go to school anymore?”

“He and Marisa broke up last night,” I confess.

“They broke up?” Sandeul asks. I nod my head. “Why?”

“I’m not entirely sure the full reason,” I admit.

“Wait,” Shinwoo says pointing somewhere, we all turn to look. “Isn’t that Seohyun right there? And isn’t that Sungyeol?”

I attempt to take a better look and I’d recognize that back anywhere, I’ve spent too long with him. “What is that boy doing? Just this morning he was crying over the breakup, and now he’s out with a girl?”

“Should we follow him?” Baro asks.

“All of us?” Sungjong asks.

“But won’t we be recognized,” Hoya comments.

“Yeah, I mean, we are wearing the school uniform,” Woohyun continues.

“Well, someone has to follow them while the rest get changed…” I say. “I’ll just follow them and then you guys go back and get changed and bring me clothes, too, Sungjong.”

“We’re ditching school?” Gongchan asks.

“If we want to know what’s going on and get answers, then we have to,” I tell them. I turn to see where Sungyeol and Seohyun have gone to and I see them quickly escaping from my sights. “Hurry, let’s split up. Call me when you guys are finished, and remember my clothes Sungjong.”

“Fine, hyung,” Sungjong says as they turn away.

Stealthily, I follow Sungyeol and Seohyun. How can this kid be upset over Marisa one minute and then out with Seohyun the next? There’s no doubt that he was cheating on her, I have no doubt about it anymore.

I watch them as they’re all lovey-dovey with each other. Sungyeol’s arm is around her waist and so is hers around his. Why aren’t they in school? Did Sungyeol purposely do that act so I’d just leave him alone and he could spend the day with Seohyun? What happened to the old Sungyeol? It seems like he’s long gone now. It probably seems strange to all of the people on the street, though, a teenager in a school uniform not in school. I just hope that the rest of them come with a change of clothes quickly.

There’s still so many questions going through my head. Why did Marisa suddenly decide to break up with Sungyeol? I should call her, but I shouldn’t. She’s with Jinyoung back at his hometown; I don’t want to be disturbing their time with each other. I don’t know what’s going through Marisa’s mind or anything. I don’t know what she’s thinking about because I can’t see her and I haven’t spoken to her in a while. It feels like there’s distance growing in our friendship, but I think I’m okay with that. I think that the distance is appropriate right now, considering everything that’s going on.

I continue to follow Sungyeol and Seohyun as they enter some café with each other. I just decide to sit on a nearby bench when my phone rings. “Where are you, hyung?” Sungjong asks. I give them the name of the café that they went into and told them that I was sitting outside of it, but not directly, somewhere a little away, but not too far. “Okay, we’ll be there soon, just wait.”

Soon enough, I see the rest of the members coming up wearing their regular everyday clothes. I don’t think we’ll stick out a lot, now. Now I just have to find somewhere to get changed and it’s all good. Our spying game can begin.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

I spend the day with Marisa, taking her around town once again, but showing her what I did frequently and taking her to my old school. Some of the students there remember me, although I don’t know how, and they greet me enthusiastically. “Oh, hello,” I say as another one comes up to me.

“You were quite popular, weren’t you,” Marisa comments.

I shrug my shoulders. “If you want to believe that.” I flash her a smile. “I was popular in my own way. How about you? Were you popular at your old school in the U.S.?”

“Depends how you look at it,” she responds. “Some could say that I was, others would just say that I was average.”

“I think you would’ve been popular,” I say. “I don’t know how you wouldn’t be.”

“Never fail to complement,” I say with a smile.

“Oh,” I say just remembering about telling my mom everything this morning, “I told my mom all about us.”

“What do you mean?”

“I told her the whole story like our beginnings and everything.”

“And she’s not mad at you?”

“Nope,” I say shaking my head. “She’s actually happy. She thinks that you’re really good for me.” I put my arm around her shoulder. “And another thing, I broke up with Seohyun, officially, this morning.”

“You did?” she asks looking at me confused.

“I did, so now both you and I are single,” I say jokingly, but serious all at the same time. “How about we go to one of my favorite parks?” I suggest.

“Okay,” she says nodding her head in agreement.

I take her hand as I lead her towards one of my favorite parks. Little does she know what I have in store for her.

 

Marisa’s POV

I follow Jinyoung to his favorite park. I feel like I can trust him and that I can be myself around him, I feel comfortable and happy. Even though I don’t know my feelings for him exactly, I know that he’s someone special. After everything we’ve been through, Jinyoung has always been besides me in some way, shape, or form. I don’t know where I would be if he wasn’t there with me through all of those moments, and even here with me now. I think I would’ve been lost and probably in my room for countless days and hours just sulking and crying my eyes out, but Jinyoung has the ability to make me happy and comfort me. It’s like he knows exactly what I need. I’m grateful for him.

We get to the park and I can see that it’s beautiful, there are trees outlining it with some playground equipment and a large fountain. “Come here,” he says leading me towards the tree. We sit underneath of the shade on the grass and just stare the sky, cloud watching.

“What do you think that is?” I ask pointing at it.

“A bunny?” he suggests with a laugh.

“I like being with you, Jinyoung, and although I’m still attempting to figure out my feelings for you because of everything that’s happened, I know that I like spending time with you and being in your company.”

“How about this to change your mind?” Jinyoung asks. I watch him as he pulls a guitar out from behind the tree and it makes me wonder when he was able to prepare this. “I have another song for you, Marisa. Listen carefully.”

 

When the visions around you

Bring tears to your eyes

And all that surrounds you

Are secrets and lies

 

I’ll be your strength

I’ll give you hope

Keeping your faith when it’s gone

The one you should call

Was standing here all along

 

And I will take

You in my arms

And hold you right where you belong

Till the day my life is through

This I promise you

This I promise you

 

I’ve loved you forever

In lifetimes before

And I promise you never

Will you hurt anymore

 

I give you my word

I give you my heart

This is a battle we’ve won

And with this vow

Forever has now begun

 

Just close your eyes

Each loving day

I know this feeling won’t go away

Till the day my life is through

This I promise you

This I promise you

 

Over and over I fall

When I hear you call

Without you in my life, baby

I just wouldn’t be living at all

 

And I will take

You in my arms

And hold you right where you belong

Till the day my life is through

This I promise you

 

Just close your eyes

Each loving day

I know this feeling won’t go away

Every word I say is true

This I promise you

 

Every word I say is true

This I promise you

Oh, I promise you

 

I watch Jinyoung as he puts his guitar down and stares at me. The song is really sweet and hearing Jinyoung sing it, it just makes it even better. “So, Marisa,” he says looking me straight in the eyes. “Are you able to accept me?”

This sudden question, how am I supposed to respond?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

The gang and I follow Seohyun and Sungyeol around town as they do their various couple things. “Are they ever going to let up?” Sungjong complains. “I can’t believe that he’s dating her and he was cheating on Marisa. That bad guy.”

“Hey, we don’t know the whole story yet,” Woohyun says. I know that he’s hoping there’s a different meaning behind it. We all hope that there is, but the chances of that now are slim.

We all watch as they go to a park and sit on the bench. “What are they going to do?” Sandeul asks.

“Don’t tell me,” Shinwoo says.

The next moment, our worst nightmares come true. All of us witness Sungyeol and Seohyun kissing on the park bench. The dream of a different meaning behind it is ruined. How are we ever going to be able to see Sungyeol in the same light ever again?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Marisa going to say to Jinyoung's question? Is she going to accept and be his girlfriend? Are the Infinnite and B1A4 members ever really going to find out about Sungyeol and Seohyun? There's one more day, and the rest of the night, in Marisa and Jinyoung's trip, what's going to happen?

 

Chapter 21 is done. Hope you enjoyed :D

 

The song used is:

N*SYNC - This I Promise You - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1v8_1qxa8M&feature=fvst

 

Oh, yeah, and I just thought of this, if you guys have questions like either regarding the story or just general questions, don't be afraid to write a comment or message me. If you write a comment with a question, I'll write the answer, without giving away too many spoilers :), in the section after the story, like this one. If you send me a message, I'll respond back in the message. So don't be afraid to do so :D