I’m Sorry Is Not Enough

The Beautiful Mistake

Jinyoung’s POV

“Yah, how could you?” I hear Sungyeol yell as he walks in the class holding a newspaper.

“What do you mean?” I ask. I have absolutely no idea about what he’s talking about.

“Yah,” Sungyeol yells at me again. He slams the paper down in front of my desk. As soon as I read the title, my eyes go wide.

“No, no,” I say shaking my head. This can’t be happening. No, none of it can be happening. Why? When did this ever happen?

I stare at the picture. It’s a clear paparazzi taken shot of Seohyun hugging me, or me looking like I’m hugging Seohyun and in the next one there’s a picture of us kissing. No…no…this can’t be happening.

“Jung Jinyoung, you have a lot of explaining to do,” Sungyeol tells me.

I can’t say anything. I can only look at the pictures. If I thought yesterday was bad, today’s probably going to be much worse.

“W-w-who else has seen this?” I ask Sungyeol and Dongwoo. I can’t even bring my eyes up to see them. I can only stare down at the picture. For some reason I can’t take my eyes off of it.

“As far as we know, everyone,” Dongwoo says.

I don’t want to ask the question. I don’t want to know, but I have to. “D-d-does M-Marisa know about it?” I manage to ask.

“I haven’t seen her,” Sungyeol says. “Maybe she has maybe she hasn’t. We don’t know.” He takes his seat at the sound of the bell. Throughout the classes I can’t think of anything. My mind is all clouded. Normally I’m good in school and I don’t let my personal problems interfere with my schoolwork, but for some reason, it’s interfering. It’s getting in the way. Why? What is this doing to me?

 

Marisa’s POV

Lunch is quiet. What is there to say? I saw the picture. I saw Jinyoung kissing Seohyun and them hugging. I read the article five thousand times to make sure that I wasn’t dreaming. The words of the article are circling around my head. ‘Jinyoung saw cheating on his girlfriend’ ‘Are Jinyoung and Marisa broken up?’ ‘Were Jinyoung and Marisa all an act?’ Those types of words circle around my head as I at least try to eat something. Why am I getting myself all concerned about this? It’s not like we were ever actually going out.

This can be our out, I guess. We can just say that we broke up and we can go on and act like we don’t know each other anymore. I can start my life over as just a new student who has no relation to B1A4 and Infinite, but I don’t know how the others will feel about that. They’re my good friends now. This probably isn’t going to go down well at all.

It seems as though everyone at the lunch table is extremely tense and it seems like they all don’t want to make the wrong move when it comes to something. I just stare at them all and sometimes, I can catch them staring back at me with sadness in their eyes. It’s like they all pity me now because of it.

I never thought that my adventure in a different country would turn out like this. I look over at Jinyoung, who is still sitting by my side, we all assumed our regular lunch seating arrangement. I plan to say something to him, but Sungyeol beats me to it.

“Jinyoung, you aren’t going to say anything?” he asks staring at him. Everyone at the table looks at him, everyone in the cafeteria looks at him. They all know already. Thankfully, Seohyun isn’t in this lunch so I don’t need to worry about that.

Jinyoung doesn’t say anything back to Sungyeol, he just looks down at his food. It’s like he already what’s going to happen.

“Jinyoung-ah,” Sungyeol says again standing from his seat. “Do you not care about Marisa’s feelings at all? You don’t even want to explain yourself? You’ve done nothing but sat there quietly. We’re your friends. Do you feel as though we can’t trust you anymore?”

“That’s not it,” I hear Jinyoung say in a quiet voice.

“That’s not it? Than what is?” Sungyeol asks. Hearing Sungyeol freak out on behalf of me is kind of…nice. I think that it’s touching that he’s standing up for me, but does he know that we aren’t really in a relationship? Would he then stick up for me if he knew that? “You know,” he continues, “you’ve been a real jerk lately to Marisa. You haven’t been spending any time with her or anything. Is it because of Seohyun?”

Jinyoung looks at him and shakes his head. “It’s not because of Seohyun.”

“Then what? You guys have been going out for half a year. Isn’t it time that you at least showed her some affection? You’ve never showed it, ever,” Sungyeol says. That is true. We weren’t really displaying the whole relationship thing very well, but how would Sungyeol pick up on that? He normally doesn’t pick up on anything. Did someone tell him something?

“It’s…” Jinyoung begins, but his voice trails off.

“So it is because of Seohyun,” Sungyeol says. “You know what Jung Jinyoung, you’re just a coward. Why couldn’t you break up with Marisa so she wouldn’t get hurt, so we all wouldn’t get hurt?” What does he mean by all of us getting hurt?

I watch him storm out of the cafeteria with an angry look in his eye. I stand there and watch him head towards the door before I take off running after him. “Sungyeol-oppa, Sungyeol-oppa,” I say calling after him.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

Sungyeol really hit the head this time. I am a coward. I’m too afraid to do anything. That’s probably why this whole mess happened anyway. I’m just a coward, nothing but the regular average coward. I’m too afraid to face my feelings and now I have to pay the consequences for it. I stare at everyone and quietly walk out of the cafeteria, too. I’m going back to the classroom. I’m going back to sleep or something. I need to think about things, I need to write things down and hopefully something will fix this.

I look back at everyone at the lunch table before heading out. What is this mess that I’m creating?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I watch him as he leaves. He looks as though he’s sad about the whole thing. It’s time that he’s caught up to the situation. He’s too smart to be that slow on the uptake, but then is my prediction wrong. Were they not in a fake relationship? The things that I have gathered point to that they were in one, but does he actually like her now, then?

Everyone at the lunch table is talking about what just happened and so is everyone in the cafeteria. Pretty soon the whole school, maybe even the whole world, is going to know about Jinyoung and Sungyeol’s fight and then Marisa runs after Sungyeol. Is there a reason? She doesn’t stay beside Jinyoung and defend him, she runs right to Sungyeol. There has to be something fishy going on.

“What do you think, Myungsoo?” I hear my name mentioned. I look at everyone and they’re all staring at me.

“About what?” I ask.

“About the whole thing with Seohyun-noona,” Gongchan says.

“I’m not sure,” I say. Then I remember that Sungyeol heard her on the phone yesterday and her threats against Marisa. Suddenly I’m happy that she’s not alone and that she is with Sungyeol. That kid will protect her with his life. “Um…can I tell you guys something?”

Everyone nods their heads in agreement and some speak their consent. I’m going to tell them what happened yesterday on the phone. If Seohyun is serious about trying to get rid of Marisa, this could possibly be her first step in trying to drive her away and we all need to protect her. We’re her friends, her only friends in this darn school because she came here as Jinyoung’s girlfriend. We need to protect her.

 

Marisa’s POV

“Sungyeol-oppa?” I ask while looking around for where he could’ve gone outside.

I suddenly jump and scream at the sight of Sungyeol jumping out in front of me. “Gotcha,” he says with a laugh and pointing at me.

“Hey,” I say hitting him on the shoulder. “That wasn’t very nice.”

“What?” he asks.

“Scaring me.”

“I thought you meant my argument with your boyfriend,” Sungyeol says. Is he upset that Jinyoung is called my boyfriend?

“No, no, I really appreciate you sticking up for me,” I say as we walk around the school. “It’s the first time that a boy’s ever stuck up for me.”

“That’s good,” he says with a smile and putting his arm around me. I like that; it’s something that Jinyoung never did. It makes me feel secure and that nothing’s going to get me. “Just so you know,” he begins, “if Jinyoung ever hurts you, I’m always here for you.”

“Thanks,” I say with a smile.

We spend some more time walking around the school attempting to get our minds off of the things that are happening in the outside world and think about funny stuff. Sungyeol does some of his jokes and pranks and I just sit there and laugh at him. He always knows how to bring a smile to my face.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I spy on Marisa and Sungyeol. I know that it’s not good to spy on one of your best friends, but it can’t be helped, not with the mess that we’re in now. They look like they’re having a good time and I can’t help but smile to myself. Sungyeol is the type of jokester that Marisa needs in her life right now. I don’t know where she would be if we weren’t here. I don’t even want to think about it.

I take a turn to walk away and leave them spending their time together when something blocks my way. “Move,” I clearly state.

“L-oppa,” Seohyun says.

“I’m younger than you are first of all so don’t call me oppa and I’m not going to call you noona, so we’re even and don’t call me L. I don’t even like that nickname,” I tell her. “Now move aside.”

“Those two look like they’re having a good time,” she states.

“What do you want?” I ask turning around. I see her staring at the two with her arms crossed at her chest.

“Those two look so happy. Why isn’t she that happy with Jinyoungie-oppa? Is Jinyoungie-oppa not satisfied with her as a girlfriend?”

“Do I care?” I ask trying to walk away again.

“I’m going to say one last thing,” she says. I don’t even turn around to face her. “When Jinyoungie-oppa and I were kissing yesterday, he kissed back, full of passion. I wonder of he kisses Marisa like that.”

I don’t even look at her and walk away, but something that she says catches my ears, when Jinyoung kissed back. I don’t even know if Jinyoung actually kissed her back in the first place, but does that mean that she’s the one that started it?

From this moment on, the war has started.

 

Marisa’s POV

I hear my phone send the familiar ringing tone signaling that I got a text message. I look at it and see that it’s from Sandeul. Should that be something good or bad? I haven’t spoken to Jinyoung in who knows how long, I don’t even remember. The only time that I really do see him is when we’re at school and I sit next to him at lunch. I really don’t remember the last time that we actually spoke to one another and we’ve never actually spoken meaningful words to each other. Maybe this scandal is a blessing in disguise. It can get us both out of this unwanted relationship.

I read the text message.

 

Marisa, can you come to the dorm?

-Sandeul

 

I slip on my shoes and tell my parents that I’ll be back in a little bit. They know that I’m going to the B1A4 dorm, it’s normal for me. Plus they know that Gongchan is there and that he’ll protect me. They really do trust him and like him.

I knock on the door once and it opens with Sandeul standing there. “What’s up?” I ask as I make my way inside. I take off my shoes and sit down on their floor.

“I…I just wanted to make sure that you’re okay,” he says looking at me.

“Of course I would be okay,” I say faking a smile.

“You’re not okay, I can see it in your eyes,” he says, his accent is starting to become more evident.

My stupid eyes, why do you have to show my true feelings? Why can’t you fake it like the rest of me?

Suddenly I feel myself in Sandeul’s embrace. I feel his arm go around my waist and pull me close to him, my head resting on his chest. I can hear his heartbeat. It’s racing really fast. “Sandeul-oppa,” I say, “your heart, it’s beating really fast.”

“I know,” he says. He holds me tighter; Jinyoung’s never held me like this. “This is what happens to me when I’m around you.”

“What did you say?” I ask pulling away from him.

“Marisa, I’ve always admired you from afar, I’ve always stood at the sidelines. You and Jinyoung aren’t really going out. Marisa, I like you…a lot,” he finally says.

The only thing that I can do is stare at him as I attempt to digest his words. He likes me? He likes me?

“You don’t have to give me an answer,” Sandeul says looking at me and looking down at the floor. “I’m okay with admiring you from afar still, that’s the way it’s always been, but I just wanted to let you know that I’ll always be here for you.”

“Thank you,” I say looking at him. “I really appreciate it, I do.”

I turn to leave and walk out the door when I’m face to face with someone.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

“What are you doing here?” I ask looking at her. Why is she in the dorm? Is she cheating on me. Wait, she probably thinks that I’m cheating on her. The whole world probably thinks that I’m cheating on her.

“Ah, I was just leaving,” she says, she won’t look at my eyes. When was the last time that we actually spoke to each other?

“Um…would you like to take a walk?” I ask extending my hand for her to take.

“Sure,” she says looking at my hand. I push it towards her for her to take, which she does gently. I feel a strange tingling sensation and a smile sneaks up on my face.

I lead her downstairs to out of the apartment. It’s getting late now so not many people are actually on the street anymore, we’ll probably be okay. It’s not like anything could get worse than it is right now.

“How are you?” I ask starting up the conversation. We’re still holding hands with each other. Somehow, though, it feels slightly awkward between us, not just the holding hands, but like our conversations are awkward. Is it because we haven’t spoken in a while?

“I’m doing good,” she says giving me a smile. “What about you?”

“I’m good,” I say with a smile. She doesn’t look like she’s mad at me, but then again, she could be.

“Are you mad at me?” I ask as we make our way slowly down the street.

“I don’t know,” she says, her voice is barely above a whisper. “Should I be mad? Things are just going through my head too fast. I can’t digest it all.”

“I’m sorry,” I say stopping and looking down into her big brown eyes. “I’m sorry for everything. I know that saying I’m sorry isn’t going to be enough to convince you, but I’m sorry. For everything that I put you through, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I’m unable to do anything more than this.”

I look at her. She doesn’t say anything, she only looks at me. We walk for a little while more until we reach the main road. There are still some people walking around this late at night, it’s really close to midnight. Then again, most students are probably coming home or going somewhere out with their friends because tomorrow is Saturday.

“Hey,” she says pulling on my hand, I look at her. “Can I say something to you?” I nod my head. I don’t know what she’s going to say. Normally in these situations aren’t boyfriends and girlfriends able to have an inkling of what the other person might say to them? Right now I’m standing in the dark. What she’s going to say is going to be completely new to me. “Jinyoung…oppa,” she adds hesitantly. It’s the first time she’s called oppa. All the other times she just says my name or just taps my arm in order to gain my attention. “I think we should break up.”

I stare at her as she says those words. I don’t know what to do. It’s the first time someone ever said that they wanted to break up with me, it’s a new experience. I feel her grasp lighten from my hand as she pulls away. “Jinyoung, let’s break up. Let’s stop acting like this is real, it was all purely imaginary. I’m sorry, too,” she finally says before she starts walking away.

What can I say to her? What’s going to make her feel better? I have every right to be dumped, but why does my heart hurt so much? Why do I feel tears welling in my eyes? I watch her slowly walk back to the apartment, it’s only a block away and there are street lights everywhere. I stand there watching her go back until I see her disappear into the door at least feeling a little relieved that she made it home safely.

I hear the clock strike twelve, midnight. Happy birthday to me.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Hoya?” I ask looking at the kid standing in our doorway. “What’s up?”

“Are you guys alright?” he asks.

Sungyeol and I both nod our heads. “Yeah, why?” I ask.

“I don’t know, but I feel like something bad is going to happen,” he explains. “Just tell me if something happens.”

“Will do,” Sungyeol says with a smile.

I look over at the clock sitting on our bedside table and see that it reads a little past midnight. “Hey,” I say elbowing Sungyeol. We’re both sitting on the bottom bunk. He looks over at me and I motion towards the clock. “It’s Jinyoung-hyung’s birthday.”

“It is,” Sungyeol says. “His surprise party is tonight. Do you think he’s going to be surprised?”

“I hope so,” I say. “You aren’t mad at him?”

“I’m still mad, but no one should be mad on their birthday,” Sungyeol explains. “It’s a happy day.”

“Yeah, it should be a happy day,” I say, but I can’t help but think about Hoya’s warning. Most of the time whenever he senses something, it’s always right. I have to be at the top of my game today.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's Jinyoung's birthday. What's going to happen now? Jinyoung and Marisa broke up, are they going to stay broken up? Sandeul confessed to Marisa, what is she going to say? What will Sungyeol say when he hears the news? Is he going to try to make a move, too? And the surprise party...

 

Chapter 6 is done. I hope you all enjoyed :D

Next chapter, to the birthday day.