What Do You Really Think of Me?

The Beautiful Mistake

Jinyoung’s POV

There’s only two more weeks of school left, about, before I finally graduate and go to university, but that means leaving Marisa behind in high school, but she has Gongchan, Sandeul, and Baro still in the school, not to mention the members of Infinite who are still in school. I kind of feel bad leaving this place, but everyone’s destined to graduate.

I catch Marisa in the lobby of the apartment complex while I’m walking to school. “Hey,” I say. I look at her and her eyes look a little red, was she crying before? “What’s wrong?”

“Oh, nothing,” she says trying to cover it up.

“Are you waiting for someone?” I ask attempting to change the subject. She solemnly shakes her head no. “Well would you like to walk to school with me?”

“Sure,” she says with a smile. I can tell that it’s a fake smile, though. Why is Marisa unhappy? Did something end up happening with Sungyeol? Should I try to talk to him? I probably won’t do anything unless Marisa says so. There’s no need to get her angrier or upset than she is right now.

“Marisa,” I say as we’re walking side by side. I don’t attempt to do anything with her, not while she’s at this stage. She must really like Sungyeol, if this whole problem is about him. She didn’t cry when anything happened between us. Then again, she was the one that said we should break up; I was the one who was heartbroken. I’ll be a good person to Marisa; I’ll help cheer her up from this state of hers.

“Hmm?” she asks looking up at me, it seems like she was knocked out of some serious thinking.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” she simply responds.

“You don’t look fine,” I say stopping her and making her turn towards me. “Did Sungyeol do something to you?” I ask with a serious face and tone. She doesn’t say anything, should I take that as a yes or a no? “Come on, let’s go,” I say grabbing her hand and turning the other way.

“Where are you going?” she asks looking at me. “School is the other way.”

“We’re not going to go to school today,” I declare.

“What?”

“Let’s just spend the day with each other, like friends.”

I see her face slowly turn into a smile and her eyes light up. “Friends,” she repeats.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

Marisa’s not in school. Jinyoung’s not in school. Are they together? I see Sungyeol sitting down at the table at lunch and I sit right down next to him in Marisa’s seat since she’s not here. “Explain,” I demand.

“Explain what?” he asks.

“What made Marisa mad at you? Why did you leave her at the amusement park?”

“How are you so sure it’s me?” I just give him a death glare. “Fine, okay, it was me that made her upset,” he admits.

“What did you do? Is this part of your trying to figure out your feelings for Marisa plan?”

“I guess…maybe?” he asks looking at me. “I really don’t know why Marisa didn’t come to school today, though. I don’t really know what happened to her. The only reason I left her at the amusement park was because I ran into my cousin and she needed a ride home, so I gave her one.”

“What’s wrong with whoever dropped her off? Couldn’t they have just picked her up to go back home?”

“The situation’s…complicated.”

“Fine, I won’t ask anymore,” I say, “but you should at least tell Marisa and explain everything. She’s misunderstanding you right now, what happens of things get any worse?”

“How are you sure that they’re going to get worse?”

“Have you noticed that neither Marisa nor Jinyoung-hyung are in school today?”

The realization to him finally sets in. “What have I done?”

 

Marisa’s POV

I tried to use the weekend to forget all about Seohyun answering Sungyeol’s phone, but it didn’t work. I always ended up thinking about it and crying because of it. Why is Sungyeol doing this to me? He couldn’t have been doing it on purpose, right?

Before I realized, the weekend was over and that meant that break was already over. I spent the majority of my break in the hospital doing nothing. Now, before my eyes, Jinyoung and I are running through the streets going somewhere, but I don’t know where. I like it that he’s trying to cheer me up, though, it makes my heart happy. I feel happier than I ever felt in a long time.

We’re finally back at the apartment. “What are we doing?” I ask looking at him.

“Change, pack,” he simply states. “Let’s go on a trip today.”

“A trip? Don’t you have to go to school? You’re graduating soon and don’t you have a schedule?” I protest.

“Don’t worry; I’ll take care of everything. Just pack, we’re going on a trip, just the two of us.”

“What kind of trip?” I ask as we climb the stairs to my apartment.

“I’m going back home,” he comments.

“Home?”

“Back home to visit my parents. I told them that the next time I came home I would introduce them to my girlfriend. Would you like to come?”

I think about it. A trip does sound nice, being able to get away from everything that’s going on. It sounds appealing to me. I finally nod my head. “Okay, a trip,” I say with a smile. “How long should I pack for? I mean, we won’t be staying overnight, would we?”

“Two days?” he asks with a questionable tone. “Just for two nights, tonight and then tomorrow night.”

“What?” I ask. We’re going to be staying the night together? Two nights? He has to be crazy.

“Just two nights,” he pleads with me as we reach the door. “I haven’t seen them in such a long time and this is a good opportunity for us to become better friends. Friends go over to each other’s houses, right?” I nod my head. “So, as a friend and posing girlfriend, would you like to come to my hometown with me?”

I think it over. It is a good opportunity to become friends with Jinyoung and to know him a little better. I see no harm in doing this; we can start over and just act like we’re friends, like we were never stuck in a relationship with each other in the beginning, even though he wants me to say that I’m his girlfriend once we’re there. Although being in a fake relationship is part of our past, we can just be friends and not have to remember everything that happened. Even though, if that accident never happened, we wouldn’t be in this moment here right now.

“Sure,” I finally say. “I’ll pack and meet you in the lobby. I have to write a letter for my parents, though.”

“Of course, be sure to mention my name and say that I’ll be with you the whole time. I can take responsibility for you in case anything were to happen,” he says with a gentle salute.

I smile at myself as I start packing up my things that I would need. I can’t believe that I’m going to ditch school just to go on a trip with Jinyoung to his hometown. Am I really doing this? Am I really going through this?

 After finally over packing my duffle bag, I drag it downstairs and leave the note for my parents on the table. I make sure to tell them that Jinyoung is going to be with me and that I just need to get a little break. Hopefully they’ll understand my reasoning behind all of this. They know that I’ve been in a slump this weekend, maybe they’ll think that this opportunity will brighten my spirits and make me the old Marisa. I just need to get away from everything for a little while, just to separate myself. From what I know, Jinyoung is from the countryside, so breathing fresh air and not having to worry about anything sounds like my type of trip.

“You packed a lot,” Jinyoung comments seeing my duffle bag. I see his backpack slung over his shoulders. He’s changed out of his uniform now into some dark jeans and a t-shirt with a brown jacket, sunglasses, and a hat on, not to mention the couple scarf and gloves. “Ready to go? It’ll take a long time to get there by bus, about three hours.”

“Okay,” I say. “As long as you’re there, I’m pretty sure that I’ll be occupied the whole time.”

“Awesome,” he says grabbing my duffle bag as we make our way towards the bus stop.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

I can’t believe that Marisa agreed to come with me to visit back home. I never thought that she would in a million years; I just said it out of the whim. I always wanted to go back and visit soon because I haven’t seen them in a while. Maybe I just wanted to pick Marisa up out of her bad mood.

I look at her as she looks out the window on the bus. I look down at her hands and see that she still has the ring on. “You really do want people to think that we’re a couple,” I comment.

“Hmm?” she asks looking at me. “Why?”

“You still have the couple ring on,” I whisper pointing at it. “And we’re wearing couple scarves and gloves. Everyone’s going to be saying that Jung Jinyoung and his girlfriend got back together.”

“Let them say what they want,” she comments.

“So then you want to get back together with me?” I ask her slyly as a joke. She knows that I’m only joking and smiles, not saying anything.

“What about you?” she finally asks after some silence. “You’re still wearing the ring. Why haven’t you taken it off?”

“Because it’s a very special ring to me,” I admit. “It’s the first one that I bought for a girl that I really like.”

“Hey, I thought we were being friends,” Marisa comments pushing me lightly.

“I can’t help it,” I say. “We already know each other, but being a friend is fine. Slowly, we’ll start to like each other.” She just laughs and rolls her eyes. “But my parents probably do think that we’re still together, they don’t really keep up with all of the gossip magazines, but my noona does.”

“So then would she know about our relationship being fake and you going out with Seohyun?” she asks with worried eyes.

“She probably does, but after seeing this,” I say motioning to the couple ring and the couple scarves and gloves, “she’ll probably think that we’re actually dating again.”

Marisa nods her head and looks out the window. I can’t really say anything because it’s comfortable just being next to her. I think that this is sort of a repayment for how mean I was to her in the past, for how horrible I always treated her and how I never gave her the time of day. This way, I’m kind of paying up for it, I’m allowing myself to open up my thoughts and confess things to Marisa that I never told anyone before. Hopefully one day doing this will pay off.

Being with Marisa is calming; I don’t really know how to describe it. I feel like I’m at ease and that I can be myself around her, whether it just so happens to be dorky, lame, or utterly annoying, I know that she’ll tell me the truth. Maybe it’s because when she first arrived here she had absolutely no idea about who I was, so before she knew about the star Jung Jinyoung, she knew the person first, even if I didn’t leave that good of an impression. I look at her while she looks out the window. I think that this three day trip is doing to be a good idea.

 

Marisa’s POV

“Jinyoung, what’s your favorite color?” I ask looking at him. He looks at me with a puzzled look, which I understand. I did just randomly ask this question. “You know in the whole becoming friends thing,” I start explaining to him. “I don’t know anything about you. So, what’s your favorite color?”

“Um…I like red and black,” he responds. “What about you? What’s your favorite color?”

“Hot pink, royal blue,” I start off. “I really like any color as long as it’s bright, like neon.” Jinyoung smiles at me. “Okay, your turn to ask a question.”

“What?”

“What’s something that you always wanted to know about me?” I watch him sigh as he looks at me. “C’mon,” I say. “It can be about anything, anything I like, don’t like, my childhood in the United States, whatever you want the question to be.” I smile at him as he just stares. I really have no idea what’s going on through his mind.

“What do you really think of me?” he asks looking straight into my eyes.

“Huh?” I ask.

“What do you really think of me? At this moment, what’s your opinion of me?” he asks rephrasing the question. I look at him, what do I really think of him? “You don’t have to answer,” he quickly says after seeing my expression, he turns away from me, but I reach for his arm.

“Jinyoung,” I start. “What do I really think of you, right?” I see his head turn at me and embarrassed, I look down at my fingers. “I guess I don’t know what I think about you. I know that you’re a really good friend to have and I’m grateful that you’re always here for me. I also know that we’ve had a lot of things go on between us that split us apart but sometimes brought us together. My emotions for you always went on a roller coaster during those times,” I admit with a small smile. “But as for what I really think of you, I honestly don’t know.”

“Hmm,” he says thinking about it.

“What?” I jokingly ask. “Was my answer not what you wanted to hear?”

“No, it was fine,” he says wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I do nothing to stop him.

“Okay then, you answer the question. What do you really think of me?” He stops and thinks about the question before responding, just like I did. “It’s not so easy, huh,” I say elbowing him with a smile.

“I think you’re wonderful,” he says looking at me. “I think that you’re a great person to be around, you’re funny, and you’re honest around me. You’re not afraid to be yourself, I really admire that. I also think you’re really beautiful and cute. After all, you are the one that has captured my heart.”

We both stare at each other for a moment. I feel something stirring inside of me. Is this happiness?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Sungyeol,” I say entering our bedroom. “It wasn’t your cousin at the amusement park, was it?”

‘What are you talking about?” he asks looking at me. “Of course it was.”

“Why are you lying to me? I heard some kids talking outside of school that they saw you and Seohyun together, now why are you lying to me? Are you cheating on Marisa?” We have a staring contest with each other for a couple of seconds. He moves over on his bed and I sit down. “Why were you with Seohyun?”

“It’s a complicated story,” Sungyeol responds.

“A complicated story my ,” I respond. “Marisa is your girlfriend and now you’re chasing after Seohyun and leaving Marisa behind? Maybe she does deserve to be with Jinyoung-hyung. He at least waited until after he and Marisa were broken up.”

I get up to leave the bedroom when Sungyeol stops me. “It’s not what you think it is.”

“Of course it’s not,” I respond. “It’s never what anyone ever thinks it is.”

I move to leave the bedroom once again, and once again, I stop because of Sungyeol’s words. “I asked her to meet me there.” I turn around and stare at Sungyeol. “I asked Seohyun to meet me at the amusement park.”

 

Jinyoung’s POV

“Hello,” I say greeting my parents once we arrive at the house.

“Hello,” Marisa says also bowing and greeting them.

“Jinyoung,” they say running up to meet me. “You’ve already grown up so much already. Is this your girlfriend? She’s very pretty.”

“Thank you,” Marisa says.

“Here, here, I’ll show you guys inside,” my mother quickly says. Marisa and I follow quickly into the house. “Why aren’t you guys in school?”

“I wanted to see you guys,” I tell her hugging her again.

“You shouldn’t be missing school, though.”

“I’m going to graduate soon,” I tell her. “This is probably the last time you’re going to see me as a high school student. The next time you’ll see me is when I’m going to be a university student.”

“Time goes by so fast,” my mother comments. “Here is Jinyoung’s room.”

“I think I know where my own room is,” I sarcastically say.

“I was showing it to your lovely girlfriend.”

“I know,” I respond with a smile. “Thanks.”

“No problem, now you guys get settled.”

“Will do,” I say as my mother leaves the room. “Wait,” I say stopping her. “Where is Marisa going to sleep?”

“Can’t she sleep in the same room as you?”

“What?” I ask. I bet Marisa’s wondering the same thing in her mind. Us sleeping in the same room? This can’t turn out good, this can’t possibly be good. However, we did sleep in the same room when we stayed at the Infinite dorm that one night.

“You’re boyfriend and girlfriend, what’s the problem? Your father and I trust you,” my mom asks with a little smile on her face before leaving.

“Where are some extra blankets? I’ll set up a place on the floor,” Marisa comments.

“You don’t have to do that, you can take my bed,” I say. “I’ll sleep on the floor.” We both stare at each other in a split second of awkwardness. “Hey, why don’t I show you around a bit?”

“Okay,” Marisa says nodding her head. “That’d be nice.” I extend my hand out to her and surprisingly, she accepts it. I feel my heart start tingling and color rush to my face as I her out of the house. Thankfully, she’s behind me so she doesn’t notice.

 

Marisa’s POV

As Jinyoung and I are putting on our shoes to leave the house, my phone vibrates. I pick it up and look at it seeing that I got a text from an unknown number. “Do you know this person?” I ask showing the number to Jinyoung, but he just shakes his head. I open up the message and my eyes go wide, I feel tears coming.

 

Your boyfriend isn’t who he thinks he is.

 

I look at the rest of the message and there’s a picture of Sungyeol…with Seohyun? His hand is around her waist and they look like they’re boyfriend and girlfriend, getting really lose with one another. What is my boyfriend doing holding another girl? I look at the picture again, my eyes are glued to it, and it seems like it’s pretty recent.

I suddenly feel arms around my waist and Jinyoung’s face against mine. He takes my phone and closes it. “Don’t bother too much about him,” he whispers. “Just think about how much fun we’re going to have here.” Jinyoung spins me around so that I’m facing him and puts my head up against his chest. “It’s okay to cry,” he says patting me on the back. “Is Sungyeol the one who made you upset before?” I don’t say anything but nod my head as tears start coming out. “Shh,” he says attempting to calm me. “It’s going to be okay, you’re going to be okay do you want to know why? It’s because I’m here. Don’t cry, Marisa.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jinyoung and Marisa have gone on a trip, what is going to happen while they're alone? What is going on between Seohyun and Sungyeol? Who was the one that texted Marisa the picture?

 

Another chapter is up. Hope you enjoyed :D