The World Around Us

The Beautiful Mistake

Marisa’s POV

Since nothing went on after the photos and after Seohyun said something about our relationship being fake, which everyone else just brushed off as being just a lie made up to try to get Jinyoung to go to Seohyun, Jinyoung and I were allowed to go back to school within the next week. However, the kiss was still lingering in our minds and now it’s awkward whenever we’re near each other. My seating arrangement at lunch has now slightly shifted. I’m in between Sungyeol and Jinyoung now with Gongchan across from me and sitting in between Myungsoo and Sandeul. All of these guys really want to protect me from any danger that might present itself later. I’m grateful to them.

“Hey,” Sungyeol says to me as we walk home. “Do you want to go out on a date with me tomorrow?”

“What did you have in mind?” I ask him. Jinyoung and I haven’t directly said that we’ve broken up and we both decided against announcing it to the public. I guess our breakup is sort of implied and unless no one figures anything out about our fake relationship, we’re good to go.

“I don’t know,” Sungyeol says. “But I’ll figure something out. I’m sure that you’re going to have a wonderful date tomorrow with me.”

“Okay then,” I say with a nod.

Ever since the kiss, Sungyeol has been a little more protective of me. After that day, Jinyoung and I were sent back to our houses, or rather I was sent back to the house and Jinyoung was sent back to the dorm, where we just stayed all day. We did text each other back and forth because we are both staying home at the same time and completely bored out of our minds, so why not?

I wouldn’t say that I don’t like him being protective, I actually do enjoy it because now it’s like we’re actually in a relationship with each other, we’re looking out for each other and protecting each other, although it’s more like he’s protecting me more than anything else.

Sungyeol quietly slips his arm around my shoulder and I let him, what harm could it do? People probably think that he’s just joking around because that’s the type of personality that he has. I don’t think anyone would think that we’re dating.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

I walk silently home from school. It’s not like I have anything to say anyway. “Hyung, are you alright?” Gongchan asks coming up to me. I simply nod my head and say nothing more. Even though it was like a week ago, the kiss with Marisa has constantly been on my mind. I don’t know what to think about it. It just happened so suddenly. It kind of felt…good? I know that I already like Marisa more than a friend, but I’m willing to wait to see if she ever comes back to my side before doing anything that might push her away from me forever. I have the decency to at least do that.

“You surely don’t look okay,” I hear Sandeul comment.

“Are you still thinking about the kiss?” Shinwoo asks.

“Does Jinyoung-hyung like her more than he thought?” Baro teases.

I just ignore them all, but they’re all right. I didn’t know that I would like Marisa this much that one kiss had the ability to knock my world upside down. What has Marisa done to me? When we were in a relationship, I told her not to bother falling for me because I didn’t want the relationship, but maybe I was secretly hoping that she would. Either that or I was a complete idiot for saying that. Now that we’re broken up, though, that rule doesn’t apply anymore. Why would it matter?

“Hey, you haven’t composed in a while, hyung,” Gongchan says as we walk into the dorm. “Is something wrong?”

“I haven’t had the inspiration to write yet,” I tell them. “I’ve been listening to some other songs and such. I’m trying to find the perfect song.”

“What for?” Sandeul asks.

“Christmas,” I say.

“Ah, Christmas, I forgot,” Baro says happily. “It happens at the end of the month.”

“Well I’m glad that you at least know what day it is,” I jokingly reply.

“Are you planning on doing something with Marisa for Christmas?” Gongchan asks.

I simply nod my head. “It’s not going to be anything extravagant, but it’ll be something nice and it should be something that I do for her repaying her for the horrible time that I put her though.”

“You weren’t the best boyfriend out there, you know,” Shinwoo jokes.

“Yeah, no need to repeat it,” I tell them. “That’s why I’m going to make it up at Christmas, what better way to make it up?”

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I see Sungyeol come into the bedroom quickly and start rummaging through his clothes and other various accessories. “What are you doing?” I ask. He was destroying my nice book reading time.

“Do you know what to do for a good date?” he asks me. He looks at me with hopeful eyes.

“So you and Marisa are finally going on your first date?” I ask as I climb down from the bunk beds. Sungyeol furiously nods his head. “Well, if it’s the first date, then it has to be something special, right? What does she like?”

“I’m not sure, but I don’t think she likes anything too cheesy or cliché. I think that she wants something original.”

“Something original?” I ask looking at him. “Why don’t you just have like a picnic together in the park followed by just getting to know one another? You don’t have to make it too fancy, I’m sure that Marisa is the type of girl who appreciates what she’s given.”

“Probably,” Sungyeol responds.

“Why don’t you ask Sunggyu-hyung?” I ask. “He probably has the most dating experience, or what about Woohyun-hyung?”

“I never thought about that,” Sungyeol responds.

“Just don’t worry too much about your date,” I tell him. “If you really like her and she really likes you and you guys are meant to be together, then everything will work out in the end. Don’t second guess yourself, it causes too much harm.”

I pat Sungyeol on the back before I leave the bedroom and make my way towards the living room to see what the other members are doing. I just hope that their date tomorrow goes smoothly. If it doesn’t, I don’t know what I would do with myself.

 

Marisa’s POV

“Hello?” I hear him pick up on the other line.

“What are you doing right now?” I ask him.

“Trying to write down some song ideas. Why?”

“Come shopping with me.”

“What?” he asks. “Why would I go shopping with you?”

“Because you would know perfectly what Sungyeol wants to wear for our date tomorrow,” I explain.

“You guys are going on a date tomorrow?” he asks.

“Yes, we’re boyfriend and girlfriend, duh,” I say. If Jinyoung were in my house right now, I’d have hit him on the head for saying such a thing.

“Well jeez, I didn’t know what you guys were doing, no need to imagine hitting my head right now,” he comments. Does he know me well or what?

“Anyway, come shopping with me.”

I hear silence and then he suddenly sighs. “I guess I have no choice, right?”

“Correct because no one else really knows that I’m together with him because you and Myungsoo-oppa.”

“Then why can’t you take him?”

“Do you think that Myungsoo-oppa would keep what I’m wearing a secret? He and Sungyeol share the same room after all.”

“True,” I hear Jinyoung say on the other line.

“Just let’s go.”

“How are we getting there?”

“By bus. Does it really matter?”

“Not really.”

“So meet me out front of the building in like five minutes. Oh and do you know any good clothing places?” I ask him.

“Hey,” Jinyoung says as I come out to the front of the apartment. “So explain to me again,” he says as we start walking down the street. “Tell me why I had to come with you.”

“You’re like Sungyeol’s best friend, so help me decide what to wear,” I say. “It’s simple, isn’t it?”

“I guess,” he says shoving his hands into his coat pockets.

It’s early December now. School will go on break closer to Christmas and be off for a whole month, I can’t wait for that to happen, I’m pretty sure we all can’t. At that time, as soon as we go back, Jinyoung, Sungyeol, and the rest of their friends will graduate and I will become a second year with Sandeul, Myungsoo, and Baro becoming a third year. I can’t believe one school year is almost done.

While we’re walking to the bus stop, a couple of fans recognize Jinyoung. Most of the fans probably think that this is a date between us. In reality, it is the first time that we’ve sort of hung out by ourselves, besides the time at my house. This is the first time that we’ve spent alone time on the street.

“Are you angry?” I ask him. Ever since I told him about helping me pick out an outfit, his face has been solemn.

“Why would you think that?” he asks me.

“Oh, I don’t know,” I say looking away and trying to cover it up.

He just stares at me for a moment and goes back to looking facing forward. “I’m not angry,” he says calmly not looking at me. “I’m simply a confused individual.”

“Confused,” I say nodding my head as we make it to the bus stop.

It doesn’t take long for the bus to come and we get on, it looks like there’s a normal amount of people on there, it’s not too crowded and not too empty. I sit on the inside by the window and Jinyoung sits in towards the aisle.

“Do you have any idea where you want to go?” Jinyoung asks me.

“Nope,” I say. “I don’t know what style he likes. What do you think?”

“If you’re going on a date with a guy, does the style really have to matter? You should just be yourself and that should be good enough. I’m sure that Sungyeol likes you for you. He probably doesn’t want you to change for him,” he says looking at me.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” I say looking down at my fingers. “Well then this shopping trip doesn’t have to be about my date with Sungyeol tomorrow, it can just be a regular shopping trip. How about that?”

 

Jinyoung’s POV

A shopping trip? Isn’t that what girls are supposed to go on together? Oh right, a fake relationship with me prevented her from making any other friends than the ones that I already have.

Ever since the kiss, I’ve been unable to really face Marisa, so I was quite shocked when she asked me to go shopping. Sungyeol and I have also been avoiding each other. If Marisa still thinks that we’re best friends, we barely even talk anymore. Who knew that one girl could change so much. He probably blames the kiss on me. He probably blames the fact that he walked in and our lips were touching on me. Sungyeol probably thinks that I’m the one who initiated the kiss, but that was a week ago. It’s gone now, past. I do see him being more protective of Marisa, though. It’s like she’s going to break up with him to start going out with me. I highly doubt that that’s going to happen, so he can just live in his fantasy world.

I see Marisa look at me after I told her that she shouldn’t have to change for anyone else. have I made her angry? She seemed so excited to go shopping and my nervousness about facing her is now starting to push her away, right?

“Look,” I finally say, “I’ll help you find some nice clothes for you to wear to your date tomorrow. Okay?”

“Okay,” she says. I think I’ve made things better now.

Why is it that we’re always finding ourselves together again? Why does it seem like Marisa and I are running circles around each other? I know that we’re not in a relationship anymore, but we’re spending more time together than when we were.

“Hey,” I say poking her after a while on the bus. “Let’s get off here. There are some things around here, I think.”

“You don’t know?” Marisa asks looking at me.

“I’m not very good with directions,” I admit scratching the back of my head.

We start walking around on the street and go into shops. I point out a couple of things that I’m sure that Sungyeol would like and I sneak in a couple of things that I would like, too.

“Here you go,” I say handing her a bag after we’ve exited our like fifth store.

“What’s that?” she asks looking at it quizzically.

“Open it and you’ll see,” I say pretending not to notice what it is.

I watch her open it and her eyes widen. She pulls out the pink scarf and the matching pink gloves that I bought for her. “You bought these for me?” she asks holding them up.

“Yeah,” I say nodding my head. “It looked like you were cold while we were walking around. I thought you could use a pair of them.”

“Thank you, Jinyoung,” she says hugging me.

I hug her back and my heart rapidly beats. I hope she doesn’t notice anything.

“Here, I’ll help you,” I say pulling away from our hug and wrapping the scarf around her neck.

“Thanks,” she says smiling like a little child who’s just received candy.

“Shall we get going?” I ask motioning my head towards the street. Marisa simply nods her head as we walk side by side.

 

Marisa’s POV

It feels really comfortable shopping with Jinyoung, more comfortable than I thought it would be since I thought the kiss was awkward and since we haven’t said anything to each other since then, it would be even more awkward, but somehow, we’re making it work.

We sit and eat some snacks in a small shop that Jinyoung apparently frequently goes to. “It’s nice here,” I tell him looking around.

“It really is. It has this homely feel, right?”

We sit down at a table and Jinyoung orders his usual things. Once our food comes, we eat silently, not really looking at one another.

“Listen,” Jinyoung starts, “I shouldn’t have said anything to you about not falling for me when I told you that as soon as the company said that I could break off the relationship that I was going to do it.”

“That’s in the past,” I reassure him. “It’s long forgotten now.”

“Oh, okay,” Jinyoung says as he sticks more food into his mouth.

“Listen,” we both end up saying at the same time.

After much insistence, I’m chosen to speak first. “Tonight was really fun,” I say with a smile. “When I got here, everything was always about drama and pretending to be someone that I’m not. Tonight, I was able to be myself without having to worry about what other people think about me. Thanks for tonight, Jinyoung.”

“You’re welcome,” he says with a smile, “I’m glad that you called me to come shopping with you.”

“But you like totally objected first,” I retort.

“But I still came along anyway.”

“True, true, I’ll give you credit,” I say with a smile. “What were you going to say?”

“Oh,” he says suddenly remembering. “It’s nothing important, forget about it.”

“Oh, okay,” I say looking off at the side and then back to him.

We sit there laughing and talking. Anyone passing by would surely think that we’re a couple, boyfriend and girlfriend who are having a nice time together at night just enjoying each other’s company. I do enjoy Jinyoung’s company; I enjoy him being by my side as a friend for right now. True, I think I was developing feelings for him in the past, but since we broke up before I could test myself, they were quickly disregarded. For now, I just want to start over as friends.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

Laughing and smiling like this, this is what our relationship should’ve been in the beginning instead of ignoring each other and having stern faces. Maybe that’s why people always love their best friends, because they know everything about them, but also because they are fun to be around, that they trust themselves. Marisa and I should start over as friends again and maybe we can get to the point that we rushed into because of the accident, because of the simple mistake.

I never want this night to end. Being here with Marisa it feels as though we actually are boyfriend and girlfriend with all of the playful jokes and smiles. People probably think that we’re dating, well besides Marisa already being announced as my girlfriend, there was no official announcement of our break up. This probably just establishes faith into people that we’re dating. The time together is great. I can’t believe how well we get along with each other. I would’ve never thought that when we first started our fake relationship.

Who knows what the future has for us now.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I hear a furious knock on the dorm door. “Hyung,” Sungjong says entering my bedroom.

“Huh?” I ask turning from the top bunk.

“The members of B1A4 are here, they said that they have something that they need to show all of us. C’mon.” Sungjong exits to go into the living room and I follow after, slowly, because I was playing a good video game. They’re disrupting my video game time.

Why would they want to come here? They have no purpose of coming here, right? They don’t really know that Marisa and Sungyeol are going out, right? Unless they found out and they’re angry, but I’ll keep a positive mind, but they do know that Jinyoung and Marisa broke up.

“Did you see the news?” Gongchan asks.

“No, why?” I ask them.

Shinwoo quickly goes over to the television and turns it on.

All of the members of both groups stare at the television; we’re unable to pull our eyes away. None of us believe what we’re actually seeing and hearing, but here it is right on the television in front of our eyes. How in the world could this have happened?

 

Marisa’s POV

I don’t know what’s happening, I’m so confused, I can’t think, I can’t function. What is happening to me? I can only think of Jinyoung. Where’s Jinyoung? Where is he?

 

Jinyoung’s POV

“Marisa,” I manage to say. Is Marisa alright? What exactly happened? What is this? As long as she’s okay, I’ll be fine. Where is she?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What appened to Marisa and Jinyoung? What did the members see that shocked them? What's going to happen now? Jinyoung and Marisa are comfortable as friends, are they going to stay like that?

 

Another chapter complete :)

Things take another turn in the next chapter. Enjoy :D