Game Over?

The Beautiful Mistake

Jinyoung’s POV

My mind feels blank, my body feels heavy. Where am I? I start wriggling around a little with whatever strength that I’m able to muster up. “Hey, hey,” I hear someone saying. Who’s voice is that? I can’t think enough to decipher it. “He’s moving, he’s moving.”

“Go get the doctor,” another says.

“Jinyoung-hyung. Hyung can you hear me?” the voice asks. I feel their breath close to my face.

I groggily struggle to open my eyes when the sudden realization hits me and I blast them open like just waking up from a nightmare. “Marisa, Marisa, where’s Marisa?” I frantically ask. It’s the only thing I can think of right now.

“Settle down, settle down,” Gongchan says putting his hand on my chest and making me lie back down in this bed.

“Where is she?” I ask looking at him.

He looks at everyone else in the room and I follow his eyes. Gongchan, Sandeul, Sunggyu, Woohyun, Hoya, and Dongwoo are all in here. “Where’s everyone else? Where’s Marisa?” I ask again. They all have solemn expressions on their faces. That means that something’s not right, right? That means that something isn’t good. What’s going on? “Where am I? How did I get here?”

“The ambulance brought you,” Sandeul says quietly.

“Ambulance?”

“You were in an accident,” Dongwoo says. “You and Marisa were in an accident.”

“How? What?” I ask trying to remember. I reach up to touch my head and feel a bandage there. My head is wrapped.

“You suffered some head damage,” Woohyun explains as he watches me touch the bandage.

“What about Marisa?” I can’t help but ask.

Everyone just looks at each other, like they don’t want to tell me. Sunggyu finally speaks up. “Her injuries were much worse,” he says solemnly. “She had some internal bleeding and needed to go into surgery.”

“Will she be alright?” I ask with worry well threaded into my voice.

“The doctors have to wait a little while longer, but don’t worry. Shinwoo, Baro, Sungyeol, Sungjong, and Myungsoo are with her right now,” Sunggyu explains.

“We actually have shifts,” Hoya says. “Those five and us six will switch places every so often until visiting hours are over.”

The doctor finally enters and all of the members are sent aside. He begins doing tests on me to test out my brain, I’m guessing, and my eyesight, to see if anything was damaged from the accident. I don’t remember much about the accident, I barely remember anything. What happened?

 

Myungsoo’s POV

I sit on the windowsill and stare out the window. I look at all of the people coming to the hospital and I see some people getting released. This is a place where emotions are going to be all over the place. Someone may get the worst news of their life here while others may get the most joyous. It makes me wonder how the workers are able to put up with it everywhere from the hysteric people to the people that are jumping for joy.

I look over at Sungyeol. He looks so pitiful right now and I feel so sorry for him. This wasn’t supposed to happen, none of it was supposed to happen. As soon as we heard about the accident, we came running. None of us had any idea that Marisa and Jinyoung went out by themselves. If we knew, we would’ve sent someone to watch over them in case something like this was going to happen, which it did.

Sungyeol sits by Marisa’s bed and holds her hand. Ever since the surgery he hasn’t left her side, he’s barely even left the hospital during the day. He’s the first visitor here in the morning and the last one to leave. He wants to spend every moment with her. Baro and Shinwoo have gone to get some food since Sungyeol won’t leave his post and he’ll fall sick if he doesn’t take care of himself. Sungjong is just watching, sitting and watching. That’s all we can do until something at least happens.

Every so often, I hear Sungyeol whisper some things to Marisa. I can’t make them out, but from the tone of his voice it sounds like he’s pleading with her, like he’s making a deal. I’m not even sure if she’s able to hear him at all. Some people say that people who are unconscious, or whatever qualifies them to be in a coma, I’m not sure of medical terms and things of that nature. All I know is that she hasn’t woken up since the surgery. The doctor says that that’s normal and that it might take a couple of more days for her to wake up because of her injuries.

Suddenly I hear the door open and look up. I see Sandeul standing there. “Hey, Jinyoung-hyung’s woken up.” The three of us in the room look at each other. We weren’t expecting him to wake up so soon, it’s good news, the best news that we’ve heard so far. “Where’s Baro and Shinwoo-hyung?” he asks looking around.

“They went to get some food,” I explain. “They should be back shortly. How’s Jinyoung doing?”

“The doctor’s checking him, but other than that, it looks like everything is fine, but then again we can never be sure,” Sandeul says looking at Marisa and then back to me. I nod my head.

“We’re back with food,” Baro announces as they come in. They both see Sandeul standing in the room.

“It is time to change already?” Shinwoo asks.

“No,” Sandeul says. “I was just coming here to say that Jinyoung-hyung’s woken up.”

“Really?” they both ask at the same time. We’re all excited about Jinyoung waking up. Now it’s only Marisa. Everyone hopes that she can pull through, but I believe she can, she’s a strong girl. After everything that she’s gone through so far, this can’t be the end, not yet.

“Does Jinyoung know what happened?” I ask Sandeul.

Sandeul shakes his head. “He didn’t know where he was at first. I think he knows that they had an accident, but I don’t think he knows how extreme it was and he doesn’t remember anything about the incident.”

“I guess that would be expected,” I say. I look out at the window again and focus on a family with what I’m guessing is a newborn baby. Those people must be very happy, happier than the people in this room.

“How is Marisa doing?” Sandeul asks looking at her in the bed.

“She’s normal, I guess,” I say. “Nothing’s really changed. We’re just hoping for her to wake up, you know.”

“I know,” Sandeul says quietly. “I think we all know.”

“I’m going to go see how Jinyoung-hyung is doing,” I say getting off of the windowsill. I look at everyone in the room, they still haven’t moved from their positions. “Um…I guess I’ll report back to you guys?”

Sandeul and I leave the room and as we’re leaving, I swear I see someone familiar. It can’t be, no absolute way. The height, the length of the hair, everything just yells to me. There’s no possible way, but what’s even more mysterious is why are they in a hospital gown and hooked up to an IV?

 

Jinyoung’s POV

I sit up in the hospital bed and look at everyone and they just look at me. I don’t know what to do or say, there’s not really anything that I could or I could say. They’re all watching me and all probably thinking intently about things. I can only wonder how I ended up in this mess. It’s not like I actually remember anything from my accident, but I can remember everything leading up to it.

I remember spending time with Marisa and shopping and eating at one of my favorite spots. After that, my memory gets a little hazy and then just disappears completely. I’m not sure what went on after that. All I know is that it was a terrible car accident and that I’m lucky to be alive and that Marisa’s lucky to be alive. As far as the other party involved in the car accident, I’m not too sure.

I want to see Marisa, though. I’m just supposed to stay in my bed and not do anything until they make sure that I’m okay, according to the doctor, but I can’t help but wonder how she’s doing. Apparently she still hasn’t woken up yet. I want to see her, I want to make sure that she’s alright, I want to apologize. There’s so many things going through my head that I’m not sure what I feel anymore. I feel guilty towards Sungyeol because they were supposed to go on their date, but they are never going to get the chance until after we’re released from the hospital, which could take a couple of weeks depending on how bad our injuries are.

“How are you feeling, hyung?” Gongchan asks me.

“I’m feeling alright, I guess,” I say looking at them. I fold my hands in front of me on the blanket and stare at them. “How…how bad was the accident?” I manage to stammer.

Everyone just looks at each other like it’s a question I wasn’t supposed to ask. Woohyun steps up to explain it to me. “It was pretty bad,” he starts out. “There was metal everywhere, various car parts and things of the like. Some of us went to the scene while some others went to the hospital. The crash was really bad. One car was upside down and knocked into a pole and the other knocked into a pole pretty badly.” He takes a moment and looks at anyone else, probably inviting them to start telling their side of the story. “I wasn’t sure which car went to which person.”

“The hospital was even worse,” Dongwoo says stepping in. “When we got here, we briefly saw you and Marisa being wheeled into the emergency room. You guys had blood all over you and your clothes were torn and ripped. According to the doctors you guys were already unconscious and losing a lot of blood, surgery had to be done fast. The doctors said that your car was the one that overturned. They said that you had a head injury because of your head suddenly going forward with momentum and hitting the seat in front of you. They said that Marisa sustained worse injuries because she was thrown around more as the car spun around.”

As they are telling the painful story of the accident, I don’t remember anything. I’m unable to remember anything. Maybe it was because I was unconscious at the time, more than likely yes, but I want to remember what happened for some reason. I just think that I should, that it’s something that I should do. Why? I have absolutely no idea.

“But you’re okay now,” Gongchan pipes up. “And Marisa’s okay. That’s all that matters.”

“Right,” I say looking at them. “How long was I out?”

“Two? Three days?,” Hoya asks looking at the other people in the room who just nod or shake their heads or just shrug their shoulders..

“So it’s Monday?” I ask.

“It’s Monday,” he confirms.

“Hyung, what were you and Marisa doing out anyway?” Gongchan asks.

“We…we went to buy clothes for her,” I explain. “She wanted to get something for her date with Sungyeol that he would like. She asked for my opinion and we just went out.”

“Jinyoung-hyung,” I hear a voice say as they enter the door. I look over and see Myungsoo coming in. “Glad that you’re awake.”

“I guess I’m glad to be awake,” I say. “How’s Marisa?” I can’t help but ask.

“She’s doing…fairly well,” Myungsoo says with an attempt at a smile. “She’s doing the best that she can in the given situation.”

“How’s school going?” I ask them.

“Good, lonely though since you aren’t there,” Dongwoo says.

“I would bet,” I say with a light laugh.

“Although, Sungyeol and I didn’t see Seohyun in school today,” he says.

“Do you think she heard about the accident?” I ask.

“More than likely,” Myungsoo says, but I can see that he’s thinking about something. “She probably is waiting for you to get out of the hospital or waiting for a time to come visit you or maybe she’s preparing some food or something to bring over to you for when you wake up.”

“Maybe, she’s crazy, though,” I tell them.

“No need to tell me twice,” Woohyun says putting his hands up and slowly backing away.

I smile and laugh at all of their jokes. It feels just like old times, laughing and joking around, but something feels missing without the rest of the members here. It feels different without Marisa here. Slowly, but surely, I’ve grown used to having her by my side. There’s no possible way that she not going to recover from this. She has to. She can’t not do it. I won’t let her. Marisa still has to live her life, she can’t leave yet.

 

Myungsoo’s POV

“Hey,” I say after a while, “I’m going to excuse myself now.”

“Oh, go ahead,” Sunggyu says looking at me.

I can’t get the person in the hallway out of my mind. It’s just too familiar, there’s no possible way. Once I’m out in the hallway, I look down both sides and I see her again. This time, I decide to follow her, I have to follow her.

She walks a long way through the hospital hallways with her IV. I’m not sure if she knows that I’m exactly following her or if her room really is this far away from everything else. If it is, then why does she walk around frequently? She probably likes walking around, if this person is who I think it is, then I know the exact reason why they’re walking around all day.

Finally we reach the room that I see her go into. I stand a little far away trying to act as though I’m lost so it doesn’t look as though I’m just creeping around and following her. Once she’s in the room, I dare to go a little closer to see the name that’s on the door. Upon reading it, my eyes go wide. It’s the room of Seo Joohyun, that’s the real name of Seohyun. I knew it.

“Hello?” I ask outside of the door so she can’t see me. I attempt to disguise my voice by making it deeper.

“Oppa,” I hear her say inside to me outside. I don’t know who she thinks that I am. “Jinyoungie-oppa woke up today.”

“I already knew that,” I say as I walk into her room using my normal voice. Seohyun can’t say anything, she just stares at me. “Hmm…what should be said in a situation like this? Could anyone have won this game that you’re trying to play?”

“How did you know I was here?” she asks looking at me.

“How could I not have?” I ask right back at her. “You were walking around near the wing where Jinyoung-hyung and Marisa are. Do you think that no one would notice you? Do you think that no one would know that you caused the accident?” Seohyun can’t say anything and just looks at me. “How did you do it?” I ask with pleading eyes. “How did you cause that accident? Why did you cause it?”

“I didn’t mean for anyone to get hurt,” she says quietly.

“So you meant it, right?” I ask again. “You at least wanted to make them fear for their lives, right?”

“It was only supposed to be a minor bump. I didn’t know that they would cause this whole thing, that I would be stuck in the hospital.”

“But your injuries aren’t as bad as theirs are,” I tell her. “Marisa is still unconscious and Jinyoung just woke up. Marisa and Jinyoung both had to go through surgery and you just come out of the accident like nothing’s happened. Do you really think that Jinyoung-hyung is ever going to date you?”

She stares at me as I stare back at her. I’m trying to control my emotions, but slowly they’re getting the best of me. Slowly they’re starting to eat at me because here she is right in front of me, the one that’s caused this whole thing. If I can only make her realize the extent of her actions, how wrong they are, then maybe I’ll be satisfied.

“Who are the people that were taking pictures?” I ask. “Who are the people that were following and taking pictures?”

“My friends,” she responds. Now she’s unable to look at me because she knows that it’s all her fault, the realization setting in.

“Who are your friends?” I demand.

“Some people from school, I don’t know who they are. They’re in your class, L-oppa.”

“Don’t call me L and especially don’t call me L-oppa,” I tell her. “How many times have we told you that? You’re older than we are, so what’s the purpose? So you can act as though you’re close to us? You’re never going to be close to us, you’re not going to be our friend if you keep acting this way.”

“I just talked to them and told them to follow them around and take some pictures,” she explains.

“For what in return?”

“They would be able to become my friends and then when I dated Jinyoung and broke the news of the fake relationship then they would be a part of it with me.”

Seohyun is talking about Jinyoung and Marisa’s fake relationship, right? How does she know about it? Was she just having a hunch or something? She can’t know, there’s no possible way she can know.

“Who’s fake relationship?” I ask pretending to play innocent.

“Jinyoungie-oppa and Marisa’s fake relationship. You know it’s fake, right?” she asks eyeing me.

“It’s not fake,” I say sticking up for them. “And if you knew what you saw on Friday and what Jinyoung-hyung keeps saying now, you wouldn’t think that their relationship is fake anymore. They both really like each other, but Marisa is struggling for her life right now all thanks to you. When he finds out, Jinyoung-hyung isn’t going to want to speak to you ever again.” I make my way towards the door; I think I’ve overstepped the boundaries of my welcome. “This game is over Seohyun. As far as I know, I won.” With that, I leave the hospital room with the door shutting behind me.

I have to protect Jinyoung and Marisa. No one can find out that their relationship is fake, but I have to ask them what’s going on between them. I have to ask Jinyoung where they are at right now in their relationship. I don’t want Sungyeol to get hurt because he really likes her. He’s been going through a lot because of the accident. If I don’t ask, someone is going to end up getting hurt in the end.

 

Jinyoung’s POV

Visiting hours are now over and it’s lonely sitting here by myself. I wish there was at least a roommate so I could talk with, but there’s no one. I flip through the channels on the television, but nothing seems to catch my eye or my interest.

I really just end up staring into space. I really want to know what the other members are doing; I miss not being near them all of the time and all of their crazy antics. I wonder how Marisa is doing. When I think about her, my heart hurts even more. I haven’t talked to Sungyeol yet since I’ve woken up. He hasn’t visited me. Maybe he’s mad about me spending some time with Marisa that caused this whole accident, or maybe he doesn’t want Marisa and I to become too attached to each other and then Marisa will leave him.

I’m trying not to let that happen. I see how much Sungyeol has cared for her ever since the first day that Marisa and I got involved with each other. The way that he would walk her home every day and always be right by her side when I was neglecting her. There’s no way that I can stand in their relationship anymore. Marisa broke up with me. We’re done. I can’t get in the way of one of my best friend’s relationships, even if it is with the girl that I’m now interested in. I can only hope for the best.

 

Marisa’s POV

It feels like I’m trapped in my own world, I can’t move, I can’t speak, I can’t do anything. I don’t remember anything that’s happened. I feel completely lost. I want to do things, but I can’t. I want to find answers, but I can’t. What happened to me?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Marisa's condition going to be like in the end? Is Jinyoung just going to completely give up on Marisa? Is Seohyun going to let Myungsoo win the game?

 

Another chapter is finished! Happy April Fool's Day. Hope the pranks went well :D