10

Our History

 

Almost 2 weeks had passed. It had been bliss for both Yi Fan and Chanyeol – the loving couple. Albeit never really naming their relationship, love and admiration radiated from the two. Amusingly enough, their friends never really suspected anything.

Of course, with SM’s rule of ‘Trainees/Idols are forbidden to be in any romantic relationship as long as the party is still under contract’, the two were like the modern Romeo and Juliet. Sneaking and sharing glances and smiles in secret. They were so careful that even the closest to them couldn’t even detect any difference.

True, Yi Fan was an excellent actor and Chanyeol would put up an innocent look and anything would go their way. The two went out together sometimes, just the usual hanging out but to them it meant the world – the precious times they could get to be with one another. It wasn’t that unusual actually, the members knew the two were close. They saw how cosy Yi Fan and Chanyeol together. The two were getting too close since Chanyeol’s return but the members dismissed it as Yi Fan, as a responsible hyung trying his best to take care of the fragile boy. There was nothing wrong with that, right?


 

 

30th January, 2010

Park Residence, Seoul

11.22 am

 

It was a perfectly fine Sunday. And that morning, when the house was already silent with its habitants out for work, the sound of doorbells echoed across the massive mansion. Chanyeol who was leisurely sitting on the couch with his hands busy running through Yi Fan’s jet black hair perked up and wondered.

Yi Fan who was comfortably sitting on the floor, head on Chanyeol’s laps and eyes closed also looked up. His head left his comfortable pillow and exchanged wondering looks with his ‘best friend’. No one except Chanyeol’s nursemaid was in the house with them.

Since they started going out, this was the 4th time Chanyeol invited Yi Fan to his home and they would spend their time just relaxing in Chanyeol’s vast bedroom or down in the living room or in the family/TV room. Now, they were in the living room.

Yi Fan had met both Park Hae-Sung and Cho Han-Ah, Chanyeol’s parents and he was warmly welcomed into the Park’s home anytime. Yi Fan finally knew that the gentle smile of Chanyeol’s was inherited from his beautiful mother. Chanyeol looked a lot like his mother but he had his father’s dark brown curls and tall height.

Cho Han-Ah actually recognised Yi Fan. Of course, she would! She had a few pictures of him in her possession as she traded photographs of their children daily with Wu Jing Ren.

Wu Yi Fan – her best friend’s son and her child’s (secret) husband.

She was not blind, you know? She could see how the two interacted with one another and she didn’t miss the body language of people in a relationship. In her heart, she was feeling all excited seeing the two together but how in the world did the two managed to be together? Ah, their fates sure wanted them to be in each other’s lives. How amazing the intricate web spun by the Fates – they were meant to be together.

The doorbell rang again. Chanyeol got up and Yi Fan reluctantly let his ‘lover’ went off his merry way to get the door. The old lady, Chanyeol’s nanny were nowhere to be found. She had left her child in Yi Fan’s care. She trusted the man. She gave them privacy. She knew how it was being in love; she was young once of course.

Opening the door, Chanyeol was greeted by the sight of his cousin looking to be in a hurry and slightly anxious.

“Oh, noona!” Chanyeol called out; surprised with the sudden visit. So-Ra didn’t tell him she was coming.

“Chanyeol-ah!”

Park So-Ra was holding her 7 months old infant in her arms. Every now and then, she rocked her baby daughter, her pride and sweetheart, her Park Hee-Yeon. The baby was soundly asleep in her mother’s cradle. Her chubby cheeks pink and her small hands balled into tiny fists in her slumber.

“Can you do me a favour, Chanyeol-ah?” Park So-Ra asked. Chanyeol who was mesmerised with the little one nodded his head.

“Can you babysit my Hee-Yeon for today? I have to go to work – there’s an emergency and I sent her nanny home. The hospital called me in. I don’t know who else to ask. Can you, Yeollie-ah?”

“Of course I will, noona! I’ll be glad too,” Chanyeol said happily, his arms already stretched out to take the baby into his own. He loved children and taking care of an infant as cute as his niece would never be a bother. His maternal instinct automatically appeared when he saw children.

So-Ra smiled. She knew she could count on her younger cousin. She handed her new-born into Chanyeol’s waiting arms and the 17-year-old beamed with joy.

“Here is her bag. I’ve written down everything you need to do and just call me if you need anything, okay?”

Chanyeol nodded again, not really paying attention to his rushing cousin. So-Ra kissed her baby’s plump cheeks before dashing off to go to the hospital. Chanyeol, with the baby in one arm and Hee-Yeon’s baby blue bag happily watched as Park So-Ra’s car zoomed out of the driveway and then cheerily, he entered the house.

To his surprise, Yi Fan, with his arms crossed against his black shirt was waiting for him by the living room’s archway. His tall frame was propped against the wooden arch’s frame.

“Oh, hyung,” Chanyeol whispered afraid to wake the sleeping baby in his arms. The man he addressed looked at Chanyeol with an unreadable expression. He neared the boy.

Slowly, he reached for the blue bag in Chanyeol’s hand and the boy adjusted the baby. The two of them slowly walked up the stairs – to Chanyeol’s bedroom. Chanyeol said so it was easier for him to lay Hee-Yeon on his bed.

Without Yi Fan asking, Chanyeol spoke, “Isn’t she cute, hyung? So-Ra noona’s aegi”

Yi Fan’s eyes landed onto the sleeping angel in Chanyeol’s arms. He actually didn’t know what to think or say about the babe. In his family, he was the youngest. He didn’t have any little siblings or any little cousins so he never really did associate himself with kids.

But…

Seeing Chanyeol smiling, his dimple on his left cheek showing while staring at the baby, eyes full of unconcealed admiration made something in Yi Fan’s heart ‘clicked’…

A string in his heart was strummed with a feeling he never felt before.

Suddenly, he wanted to be a person, as small as the baby could depend on. He wanted to be someone with a responsibility he would welcome with gratefulness. He wanted to be able to hold a child in his own hands with pride. He wanted…he wanted to –

For the first time in his life…

Wu Yi Fan wanted to be a father.

“Hyung?” Chanyeol called out to his silent lover.

Yi Fan’s mind cleared and he looked at the innocent boy who was giving him a confused look. Yi Fan’s heart soared – like every other times he saw Chanyeol’s fair face. Swiftly, he kissed the boy’s cheek, so close to his mouth that poor Chanyeol’s heartbeat was now racing and his face as red as a tomato.

Chanyeol instantly frowned, “Ae, hyung~!!” He playfully slapped Yi Fan’s biceps. He was snickering seeing the angry boy. “Help me open the door!”

Yi Fan complied and the grumbling Chanyeol walked in without sparing a glance at the tall male. He felt humiliated – but in a good way. The embarrassment was good.

Carefully, Chanyeol laid his niece onto his fluffy white bed and ran to his closet to take an extra blanket and rushed to fuss over the peaceful aegi.

Yi Fan stood at the side watching his feminine partner and he was struck with fascination seeing that side of Chanyeol for the first time. Something caught his eyes though when the light from outside made something on Chanyeol’s hand twinkled.

A ring?

Chanyeol wore a ring? Since when? How come he didn’t notice that before?

The busy 17-year-old didn’t notice when Yi Fan neared him and took his cold hands. It was the first time since his episode in the hospital (since they were in a relationship) that Yi Fan held his hands.

“Ah, hyung. Waeyo?”

Yi Fan didn’t answer. “May I see?”

“Hmm? Oh”

Yi Fan held Chanyeol’s hand up to his eye level and soundlessly studied the familiar-looking silver ring.

“It’s my most treasured possession…” Chanyeol whispered. A hint of sadness coloured his speech. He was reminded again that he couldn’t be truly together with Yi Fan.

They stood in silence – only the sound of their breathing was heard.

“It’s…beautiful,” Yi Fan said finally. “When…?”

“Long time ago, eomma gave it to me. I took it off every time we practiced; it’s too precious to be scratched”

“Oh, no wonder”

“Waeyo, hyung?”

Yi Fan shook his head and smiled, “Nothing.”

It was not like there wouldn’t be any other people who possessed similar looking rings. It was just his imagination.

Just then, a sound came from Chanyeol’s bed. The baby was making sounds in her sleep. Giggling mutedly, Chanyeol climbed onto his bed and watched the baby’s actions. The gentle look in his eyes made Yi Fan thought of how perfect a mother Chanyeol would be.

A perfect mother…

He pushed the thought away. Chanyeol wouldn’t be able to conceive, he was a male after all. It was just a passing thought. Yi Fan followed Chanyeol’s actions and enveloped the boy in his arms. Reflexively, Chanyeol let out a sigh.

“You cold?”

“Yeah, a bit. Thanks, hyung,” Chanyeol said and put his hands on top of Yi Fan’s. Yi Fan in return tightened his embrace.

 


 

 

The baby was awake.

That was the first thing that Chanyeol thought when he opened his eyes. He was lying on his bed. He could hear the muffled sound of crying and instantly, he jumped off the bed. When did he fell asleep? He cursed himself for neglecting his duty.

It was about 1pm – he saw. He couldn’t find Yi Fan and worriedly, he followed the sound of crying into the joint room of his – his own multipurpose room; his library, study room and everything else.

Quickly opening the door, Chanyeol was greeted by a surprised Yi Fan holding Park Hee-Yeon in his arms awkwardly. It was obvious that the older male was trying to calm the baby but again obviously…he was failing.

“I-I don’t wanna wake you up,” was all Yi Fan could say.

Immediately, Chanyeol took the infant out of his hyung’s hands and gently rocked the baby. His tender affection effectively calmed the baby down.

“It’s okay, agi-ya,” Chanyeol whispered, his hand patting the baby’s back. The cries immediately died down. Park Hee-Yeon’s big brown eyes stared at the person holding her. Slowly, her puffy face broke into a happy smile. Her tiny hands tried to touch Chanyeol’s face.

Chanyeol turned to the dazzled man, “I think she’s hungry. I’ll go make her food. Can you hold her?”

“I don’t think she really likes me”

“Hahahaha, is that what you think? Hyung, she’s a baby!”

“She stopped crying when you take her!”

“That’s because I’ve taken care of her several times before. Ae hyung, she’ll like you!”

Yi Fan sighed.

“How about this, you hold her when I make her food,” Yi Fan looked like he was about to be given a bomb, “- ONLY. Then, I’ll take her. Sheesh, you’re impossible, hyung!” Chanyeol huffed and made his way towards the exit.

“Oh, and can you please bring her bag? Thank you!”

Yi Fan rubbed his neck. Chanyeol made taking care of the baby seemed to be like an easy thing. He thought he was doing the right thing.

“Well, I guess I have a lot more to learn,” he muttered and took the baby’s bag before he followed Chanyeol into the kitchen.

 

In the kitchen

“Here, hold her,” Chanyeol ordered. The startled Yi Fan awkwardly held out his arms.

“Ae, not like that, hyung! Here,” Chanyeol fussed again and corrected the long limbs before he placed his niece down.

“Just hold her like that, arasso?”

Yi Fan froze. Only his eyes followed Chanyeol who was expertly preparing the baby’s porridge. He observed as Chanyeol poured some warm water to sterilise a small bowl and a baby’s cup from the blue bag. He stared the way Chanyeol poured some powder into the bowl and added some warm water. He watched as the boy carefully stirred the bowl and poured some water into the cup and capped it neatly.

Everything Chanyeol did was perfect in his eyes – just perfect.

“Okay~ here you go, Hee-Yeon-ah~” Chanyeol said happily before taking the now giggling girl into his arm.

“Who’s the cute baby? Aigoo, you’re so pretty~” Chanyeol played with her and the baby’s laughter filled the kitchen.

Yi Fan watched Chanyeol fed the baby and was awed. He couldn’t even imagine Chanyeol doing all these things and now seeing it was making him fell for the boy more.

If only…if only things were different. If only he met him before he committed himself to another. But he couldn’t tell Chanyeol that he was married, he didn’t want to sadden the person he had fell for…


 

 

Park Residence, Seoul

Evening

         

Chanyeol was exhausted nevertheless, he was happy. He reminisced the earlier hours he spent with his beloved. Chuckling alone, the images of Yi Fan’s clumsiness and awkwardness filled his mind. Oh, he missed him already!

Park So-Ra came at dusk to take her daughter back and repeatedly said her thanks to Chanyeol and Yi Fan (who she just knew was there too). Shortly after the happy baby was taken back, Chanyeol’s parents unexpectedly arrived. Yi Fan politely excused himself to go home, refusing his lover’s dinner invitation courteously. Chanyeol went back up into his room and showered. Now, he was just lounging on his bed in his oversized white sweater thinking of Yi Fan.

A rap on his door made Chanyeol moved to open the door.

“Dinner’s ready, Chanyeol-sshi. Your parents are waiting,” bowed a maid – the one that always arrived to take care of the house every 5pm.

“Okay”

 

Dining room

    “Sit down, Chanyeol-ah”

He sat down obediently and the three people ate in silence. Chanyeol wondered why his parents were back early. He had quite a feeling about it – just he didn’t know if it was bad or good.

Cho Han-Ah shared meaningful glances with her husband and they had decided to tell their son tonight. It was the only moment they could seize. The dinner soon ended and Cho Han-Ah calculatedly planned her actions while waiting for the maids to clean up the long table.

“Chanyeol-ah,” she started. That grabbed the teen’s attention.

“Your appa and I – we have something to tell you,” she continued and squeezed Park Hae-Sung’s hand for support. Her husband rubbed soothing circles onto the woman’s soft hand.

“Chanyeol…we decided to let you meet your husband.”

Hearing this, Chanyeol’s eyes widened and he felt dread creeping into his core.

“What do you mean, eomma?”

“Well, we thought about this a lot. And we’ve discussed this matter with your in-laws. We agreed to let you two live together once you’re of a legal age. And there’s another news we want to tell you, your appa and I will be away for we don’t know how long and it’s the best time to let you live with him now. At least, we know that you’re safe.”

“So…a-are you asking me to stay in Canada??”

“No, Chanyeol. You’ll live here, there won’t be any change. You’ll still be able to go to school and SM,” Park Hae-Sung finally said.

“Yeah, and actually your husband lives here too. You two will stay in your house, a wedding gift actually from us,” his mother added in.

“Will you agree to this, Chanyeol-ah?” Cho Han-Ah sounded pleading.

“Eomma, can’t I…stay here? C-can’t I stay with Chung-Ae ahjumma?” Chanyeol stuttered out. He knew he was fighting a losing battle – on his side at least.

“I’m sorry Chanyeol-ah, Chung-Ae-sshi’s time with us is almost done. Her contract to us is expiring soon and this is one of the reasons I can’t let you alone. Not without a nursemaid. Besides, don’t you think she wants to be with her family again?” Cho Han-Ah explained solemnly. The guilt-tripping was working on Chanyeol.

“Can’t you hire a new one, eomma?”

It was silence greeting Chanyeol’s pitiful request. Chanyeol looked back and forth between his parents to see if they would agree to him but their expressions were resolute.

Chanyeol balled up his fists, his eyes itchy, his throat felt constricted. Deep down in his heart, he knew that sooner or later this day would come….only he didn’t expect it to be this soon.

Wait, he was already married for almost 2 years. Didn’t he have his freedom?

If he could, he wanted to shout out his disagreement but then he was the one who agreed to the arranged marriage in the first place. How unfair he felt…he shouldn’t be throwing complains now, should he? Why must he be angry now? He wanted…he agreed to be married.

It’s over

Slowly but steadily, Chanyeol rose from his seat and tried to not show the pain in his heart. His parents had given anything to make him satisfied. They let him pursued music instead of medicine – that one was his biggest dream. Now the chance to let his parents happy was in his hands, why wouldn’t he give it? 

“I’ll do as you say, eomma…” he quickly upped and left before his beloved mother could see the trickling tears of his sorrow.

 


 

 

With his hands trembling, Chanyeol made up his mind to end everything. It would be better if he saved Yi Fan from the hurt before they both fell into a much deeper hole they couldn’t get out of. It killed him slowly to do it but he must.

He needed to do this.

He wouldn’t lead a dishonest life. He’d be eaten inside with guilt. He had a husband and he wouldn’t want the title of a cheating wife. No, he didn’t want that.

Even if he wouldn’t feel the happiness he was surrounded with the past few days, he’d treasure them and will keep his short memories with Yi Fan etched into his mind.

Controlling his sobbing, he dialled a number he knew by heart. By the second ring, the phone was answered. Chanyeol’s heart felt like it broke into tiny pieces. This was it.

“……”

“Yobeseyo?”

Oh, how he would never be able to marvel the rich baritone of Yi Fan when it would be just the two of them.

“……”

“Chanyeol-ah, are you there?”

The voice was worried now.

“Hyung…”

“You don’t usually call me…You okay, Yeol?” Yi Fan’s caring tone made Chanyeol’s throat constricted more with his tears. How was he supposed to tell Yi Fan it was over?

“Hyung, I-I have something to tell you”

Chanyeol’s voice was barely above a whisper. He was feeling quite accomplished he could at best managed to not let Yi Fan hear his shaky vocal. He took a deep breath to gain whatever courage he could muster.

“Oh? What is-“ Yi Fan’s speech was cut off by Chanyeol.

“We can’t be together anymore,” he spoke brokenly.

Then it was dead silence.

 

 

“I- I thought I…..”

 

A/N: Hiya there everybody! Yes, finally I updated after being sick for so long~ ^^ Hope you guys like this chapter. So comment and subscribe people! I've read all of the comments and to say I'm touched doesn't quite cover it. I WAS BEYOND HAPPY~~~ And to you silent readers, a comment won't hurt >_< Hehehe. Hopefully, the wait is worth it! Until we meet again~! ^^,